Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Procharger

does anyone or has anyone ever heard of someone having a pro charger on there TL? for 2000 and it seems like a pretty good deal the only thing is were i would mount it.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Think of it as a belt driven turbo charger. It's a centrifugal compressor just like a turbo so it delivers cooler charge air and is overall more efficient than a roots style blower.

The downsides... Nobody likes turbo lag. Well, this is turbo lag on steroids. It makes boost based on rpm so you get little boost at low rpms and the boost will continue climbing until you hit redline. If you raise the rev limit, you raise the max boost as well.

This can be good depending on your goals. Turbos give you full boost at a pretty low rpm. This is great as long as you have the traction for it and it makes the car feel more torquey and more responsive. Most of the people I see running these types of superchargers do road racing where the more linear power delivery is welcome, it can be a little more predictable when exiting a corner. For drag racing, it's not the best option but it's not that bad either. If you're into the higher speed stuff where you can keep the car in it's powerband at all times, a centrifugal charger isn't a bad idea. They typically take less engine power to run than a roots or screw style blower. It's possible having less low rpm torque and hp and be easier on stock internals. One more advantage is they're easy to intercool if you want to go that route.

The problem is as always, engine management. You can bolt the supercharger on but if you want it to have any chance at living you must have a good engine management. The stuff the turbo guys are running should work well.

Usually you can get the loud verson or the queit version. There's a gear reduction that drives the compressor much, much faster than engine rotation and if you choose the loud version, the gear section can be very loud. It sounds very good and intimidating and you also get a little whine like a turbo under boost.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Team Owner

I just read the second part of your question and that would be difficult. It's belt driven and there's no room between the engine and frame. Maybe a long tube like the superchargers run and locate it near the battery. It will be larger in diameter like a huge turbo but not as deep.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:14 PM
My first ricer

Received 256 Likes on 211 Posts
I can't see it fitting under the hood...it would have to go in line with the belt drive, I ran a D1SC on my Impala for a few years and had no complaints really but for how often I drive the car I figured I'd sell it and spend the cash on other stuff. It made boost very easily and sounded very mean. Depending on the unit you can get for $2K, you're gonna spend way more getting it to fit. There's a reason the kit I had was about $7K new and the unit itself was about $2500. If you're gonna do it set aside way more money and plan on cutting a hole in your hood or having a custom one made.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Intermediate

Right now I was thinking maybe along the lines of taking out the cruise control to make it fit or relocating something else that is over there, getting a pipe bent To go over to the throttle body is not an issue and the procharger is not very large insize, compared to a turbo and having to deal with bov, waste gate, etc and I allready have talked about it with a local tuner shop and a greddy emange seemes to be the best bet and when tuned with meth this should show huge gains.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Team Owner

A bov is optional with a turbo and its solely based on whether the throttlebody is before or after the blower. With the throttlebody after the supercharger a bov is just as needed as a turbo (optional). The diameter of a pro charger is considerably larger than most turbos and you have the gear unit as well. You have no exhaust plumbing to deal with so that's good you can intercool it if you want, it's free power but at the boost level you will be running along with meth it might not be the best bang for the buck. I would do it before any other engine mods aside from exhaust with a 3" exhaust highly recommended.
The following users liked this post:
pmak23 (12-03-2012)
Old 12-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Intermediate

thanks but exhaust ill be leaving right now, i already have PCD to ATLP j pipe to cat to resonator and then from resonator its custom manderal bent and welded 2.5 y pipe to magnoflow mufflers and the only reason im not gonna turbo is due to the fact the the j and r is 6 grand and if i piece one together my self it would be around 5 but much more work putting in, making things fit, etc. This car is most definatley one of the priciest to make fast
Old 12-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

Exhaust is very important with the supercharger, much more so than naturally aspirated.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Intermediate

i would think it will be good once i get the 3rd cat replaced by a straight pipe its seems to be decently free flowing as it is now.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:32 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the OP, our engines are pretty high compression to start with, so you won't want to run very much boost. Therefor, you won't need a very big ProCharger. Either a C1 or maybe even a C2 would be all you would need. Those both have 7" compressor housings. As far as "lag" goes, it's just like any situation with a turbo. If you choose the correct size blower or turbo, you can eliminate the majority of the "lag".

To "I Hate Cars", I've been looking around a little bit here and there, but haven't found much. When it comes to engine management, what exactly is it that "the turbo guys are using"?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannono
To the OP, our engines are pretty high compression to start with, so you won't want to run very much boost. Therefor, you won't need a very big ProCharger. Either a C1 or maybe even a C2 would be all you would need. Those both have 7" compressor housings. As far as "lag" goes, it's just like any situation with a turbo. If you choose the correct size blower or turbo, you can eliminate the majority of the "lag".

To "I Hate Cars", I've been looking around a little bit here and there, but haven't found much. When it comes to engine management, what exactly is it that "the turbo guys are using"?
Not true, With a full standalone or proper way to tune these engines can handle quite a bit of boost with stock internals. (I have seen threads on other sites with guys running quite a bit of boost, with one running 20psi (717whp,581tq) on 110 octane stock internals) Tuning is key. (and not going past redline as the valve springs are the weak link)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:14 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, let me rephrase my answer. If you want your engine to live for a long time and you don't have the 1 in a million engine that somehow manages to survive the punishment, I wouldn't recommend running much boost.