Pre Cat deletes/J-Pipes/Test pipes/Down-pipes WHAT?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 01:59 AM
winner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pre Cat deletes/J-Pipes/Test pipes/Down-pipes WHAT?!?!?!

Okay, i've been reading this forum for a while, rare poster but here I am.
I have no idea what Pre Cat deletes/J-Pipes/Test pipes/Down-pipes do, nor the difference between them.
I also don't understand what a whole "exhaust system" will give me.
I am very interested in the Tanabe Medallion or Comptech exhaust system, I think they're roughly about $1,000.
If having one of "Pre Cat deletes/J-Pipes/Test pipes/Down-pipes" would help with my exhaust system, or if having/not having any of these would be better, please advise.
Thanks for all of what you all are doing, I've learned a heck of a lot on this forum. I'm excited to see these azine stickers around so I can sport it on the car!
Thanks!
-vince
The following 2 users liked this post by vinceeyy:
papasmurph (08-25-2020), Typesdavid44 (12-09-2019)
Old 11-07-2009, 02:11 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
I would get the Comptech Catback.

When we are talking about the "whole" exhaust system we do mean the J-pipe, 3rd cat delete, pre-cat delete, and catback exhaust. It is hard to explain, but you can do a search on all of them via the search button! Pre-cats are possibly the biggest HP gain you can get without getting a blower (25-30WHP gained), but it will cost you by not passing the inspection. J-pipe increases air flow greatly also and probably the most bang for the buck. XLR8 J-pipe ($400) will add somewhere between 10-14 WHP and lots of TQ. Catback is a catback, you can get a pre-made exhaust like the comptech or get a custom one of your liking (2.5", 3.0" single, 2.5" dual).

J-pipe - $400 XLR8 12WHP gained with 10LB/TQ and 20+ TQ at 3k-4k RPM.
Comptech Catback - 1000$ 12 WHP gained with high end tq gained.
Pre-Cat deletes - 25-30 WHP RV6 V2 pre-cat delete gained. (basically the removal of your cats (cat. converter) with a straight pipe for increased air flow).

You can also invest in a UR pulley which is only $200 that "frees" up 8-9 HP.

Or you can go all out and get the turbo
The following users liked this post:
Typesdavid44 (12-09-2019)
Old 11-07-2009, 02:35 AM
winner

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
When we are talking about the "whole" exhaust system we do mean the J-pipe, 3rd cat delete, pre-cat delete, and catback exhaust.
)
So If I get the whole comptech exhaust, I don't need the J pipe?

I did search, results were just talking about them and no explanation of them, lol. it was always like atlp vs xl8 jpipes etc...
thanks for the quick reply and the help!
Old 11-07-2009, 03:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
getting just the catback will do nothing. They all compliment eachother greatly. Getting the J pipe and catback will have restriction from pre cats to flow to third cat restriction to free flow. I would get the J pipe and third cat delete either race or test(free flowing or high flow cat) and then catback. As I stated before having one without the other is not great becuase if you have J pipe and third cat then no catback its "bottle" necking and not the best. Precats are the best gain but are a pain to do and you will fail emissions and some people tend to think there is back pressure problems and what not. Like the OP said you can also get the UR pulley.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:20 AM
Former Sponsor

(pre-cats)-(Jpipe)-Third cat-cat back. All are seperate , you can get just one but they all compliment each other. I would do last three definatly but its up to you if you want to get the pre cats. Intake and UR pulley I would recommend as well. Then there are aesthetics that make the TL look nice which are the type s tails or type s ghost mod and nav2dvd and a-spec kit and rims and so on. I would do xlr8 J pipe v2 to rv6 race pipe to either comptech or tenabe and keep pre cats..just me.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
This picture shows what your exhaust looks like underneath the car.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...14sep4_b02.gif

#6 is the j-pipe, #1 is the third cat, and #14 is the catback exhaust.

The j-pipe is good for significant gains (about 10 whp and 15 ft lbs of tq), the third cat delete or high flow cat will also help improve exhaust flow (3-5 hp), and the catback exhaust will alter exhaust note and flow (8-10 whp and 8-10 wtq).

If you want a throatier yet civil exhaust note the Tanabe Medallion Touring and CT exhaust are perfect candidates.

PM us if you need any pricing or other advice.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:40 AM
winner

lol, i seem to be more confused now then ever. haha.
as so far as I can see on the picture, it goes
pre cats (not pictured) - to the J-pipe - to the cat back exhaust (third cat?) - to the mufflers.

whats the race pipe/test pipe? also, AckTL05, you had mentioned in another thread that it might be more efficient to upgrade some of these more then others and definitely one of these if you do another, explanation?

when i figure this all out and it makes sense, i'm going to make a thread that explains the differences with pictures and simple pro/con's. i'm not a dumb guy and i feel like i understand how my car works but i just do not get this lol. thanks again guys.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:58 PM

It's cool, I'll try o explain it too you better when i get too my computer (using iPhone)
Old 11-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vinceeyy
lol, i seem to be more confused now then ever. haha.
as so far as I can see on the picture, it goes
pre cats (not pictured) - to the J-pipe - to the cat back exhaust (third cat?) - to the mufflers.

whats the race pipe/test pipe? also, AckTL05, you had mentioned in another thread that it might be more efficient to upgrade some of these more then others and definitely one of these if you do another, explanation?

when i figure this all out and it makes sense, i'm going to make a thread that explains the differences with pictures and simple pro/con's. i'm not a dumb guy and i feel like i understand how my car works but i just do not get this lol. thanks again guys.
Pre cats - J-pipe - 3rd cat (or race pipe or test pipe) - cat back. A race pipe is a straight pipe that uses flanges to bolt up in the stock 3rd cat location. A test pipe is a resonated race pipe pretty much. I don' think you will see a performance gain from a test pipe vs race pipe. You could even use a high flow 3rd cat (HFC). On a daily driver does the minuscule hp diff between them matter? i don't think so
Old 11-08-2009, 10:09 PM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
This picture shows what your exhaust looks like underneath the car.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...14sep4_b02.gif

#6 is the j-pipe, #1 is the third cat, and #14 is the catback exhaust.

The j-pipe is good for significant gains (about 10 whp and 15 ft lbs of tq), the third cat delete or high flow cat will also help improve exhaust flow (3-5 hp), and the catback exhaust will alter exhaust note and flow (8-10 whp and 8-10 wtq).

If you want a throatier yet civil exhaust note the Tanabe Medallion Touring and CT exhaust are perfect candidates.

PM us if you need any pricing or other advice.
josh, why not have BB make a set of PCD's with your name one them?? i cant understand why richie is the only one producing these things =/
Old 11-09-2009, 09:12 AM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
right, but thank god he never went monopolistic on the price! I was very grateful he didn't charge an arm and a leg since he has the only set out.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by NedShneebly
right, but thank god he never went monopolistic on the price! I was very grateful he didn't charge an arm and a leg since he has the only set out.
I would never do that you guys are like family.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Former Sponsor

good man, you give me hope that there are nice people out there not trying to get rich off of our hard working money
Old 11-12-2009, 02:07 AM
winner

so i think i'm down with the Comptech exhaust system and a xlr8 jpipe.
can't do pre cat deletes cause i don't want a problem with emissions.
input?
Old 11-12-2009, 03:29 AM

Sounds good since I've heard that California has tough laws about that. With the extra $$$ saved, you should get the UR Pulley and RSB.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so is it worth getting pre-cats, j-pipe, and race pipe if i am going to keep my cat-back stock? or will the bottlenecking kill the performance gains?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
Just a few words,

I have the pre-cat deletes, ATLP J-pipe, ATLP-hi flow cat, and ATLP quad catback exhaust.

I passed emissions at a strict testing gas station.

I did not pass safety, however, because I had a 1cm tear in my windshield wiper. yes, that's incredibly gay.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:47 PM
practicing nihilist

wow, b, impressive. i have nearly the same setup and I can tell from the smell I would never pass any emissions test...but I will never live in a state that mandates them.

i would write your congressman about the 1cm tear. that's a waste of yours, and the city's money!
Old 11-12-2009, 10:11 PM
winner

so i think i'm down with the Comptech exhaust system and a xlr8 jpipe.
can't do pre cat deletes cause i don't want a problem with emissions.
input?
so can't do 3rd cat delete because i need my 3rd cat to pass california emissions. and the race/test pipe would have replaced my 3rd cat but the CT/Tanabe exhaust system comes with a more efficient 3rd cat anyways.

what's Pre-cats? is that what connects the Jpipe to the engine? shouldn't one for most efficiency get precats-jpipe-exhaust system?

that's it right? that's pretty much my WHOLE exhaust system and there will be no bottle necks anywhere?
Old 11-12-2009, 10:13 PM

so can't do 3rd cat delete because i need my 3rd cat to pass california emissions. and the race/test pipe would have replaced my 3rd cat but the CT/Tanabe exhaust system comes with a more efficient 3rd cat anyways.

what's Pre-cats? is that what connects the Jpipe to the engine? shouldn't one for most efficiency get precats-jpipe-exhaust system?

that's it right? that's pretty much my WHOLE exhaust system and there will be no bottle necks anywhere?
You can do the 3rd cat delete and pass the emissions because it doesn't have anything to do with the O2 sensor (if I'm not mistaken).
Old 11-12-2009, 10:52 PM
winner

ok i think i got it.
system goes like this.
pre cat - jpipe - 3rd cat - mufflers - tips

options go like this
pre cat - could get pre cat deletes but 02 sensor in pre cat, take your chances (not legal)
jpipe - aftermarket options no 02 sensor fine to change (legal)
from here starts most "exhaust systems"
3rd cat - replaceable by a race pipe/test-pipe/straight-pipe/high-flow-cat, no 02 sensor but this comes with most exhaust "systems" such as atlp/comptech/tanabe systems (legal)
mufflers - could make a custom exhaust system with different mufflers but it's generally more expensive and without the upgrade of the above options not that much performance increase. (legal)

corrections?

Last edited by vinceeyy; 11-12-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:33 PM
SpeedDemon

Exaust do not come with test pipe or high flow cat. Those have to be purchased separetely
Old 11-14-2009, 10:43 PM
winner

so whats that little cat/muffler looking thing on the left side lower item? looks like the 3rd cat? i wouldnt imagine that would be any less efficient than the stock 3rd cat?
Old 11-15-2009, 02:05 PM
static dumpage

3rd cat is right after j pipe...that little canister is a resonator...resonators mellow/deepen the sound and get rid of the raspy fart sound, reduce the drone while cruising...im pretty sure that is not a mid muffler...if you look underneath our 3gs u will see from the cat back, a mid muffler and a resonator than mufflers...

get a jpipe (atlp, xlr8, rv6)
high flow cat/test pipe/ race pipe (the muffler shop can delete the 3rd cat and put a pipe or you can buy one from atlp xlr8)
custom piping, one resonator (12-18 in), magnaflow or borla muffler with the tip of ur choice, u can have stock ones welded on also..
or go with comptech

with comptech and everything new with labor..approx 1500-1800 give or take a few bills
a custom setup will be less than 1000 or at 1000 installed (price of a compech), jpipe (approx 400) (est pipe/race pipe (approx 75-150) or if u want HFC (300) piping and resonator (75-120) mufflers (75-150 each) and labor (75-150 depends what they charge hourly)

hope this helps bro
Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the J-pipe and the xlr8 high flow cat the same thing or different parts. That is the only part i am confused about.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by silver6speed
Is the J-pipe and the xlr8 high flow cat the same thing or different parts. That is the only part i am confused about.
Different parts. The j-pipe bolts to the two pre-cats (that come off the head) and also to the third cat. It is the connecting pipe.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Excelerate
Different parts. The j-pipe bolts to the two pre-cats (that come off the head) and also to the third cat. It is the connecting pipe.
Ok so i see rv6 v2 pre cat delete / xlr8 high flow cat / 3rd cat delete/ comptech axlebacks. Do i need a j-pipe also and anyone got a link or part number .
Old 11-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
j-pipe... anyone got a link or part number .
E-124: ATLP V2 vs RV6 V2 *pics/comparisons* (click here)
i dont know which jpipe to go with... (click here)
Old 11-19-2009, 09:55 AM

ok so im assuming i should add the ATLP j-pipe to my list? Also, the xlr8 j-pipe dsnt fit the 2nd gen Cl does it? Sorry if i sound stupid and thnx for the help.
The following users liked this post:
cruisingnycfl (02-20-2016)
Old 11-25-2009, 04:41 AM
winner

whats the difference between Test pipe, race pipe, or High flow cat?
1. these all replace the "third cat"?
from what I gather...
test pipe is resonated (quieter)
race pipe is basically a straight pipe (non resonated, louder)
High flow cat (HFC) is basically what we all already have but just better air flow, quietest but most expensive.
2. above true?
3. that's why most people are in for test pipe?

Last edited by vinceeyy; 11-25-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
ok so im assuming i should add the ATLP j-pipe to my list? Also, the xlr8 j-pipe dsnt fit the 2nd gen Cl does it? Sorry if i sound stupid and thnx for the help.
From my limited knowledge of the 2G, none of the 3G aftermarket j-pipes will fit the 2G.

whats the difference between Test pipe, race pipe, or High flow cat?
1. these all replace the "third cat"?
from what I gather...
test pipe is resonated (quieter)
race pipe is basically a straight pipe (non resonated, louder)
High flow cat (HFC) is basically what we all already have but just better air flow, quietest but most expensive.
2. above true?
3. that's why most people are in for test pipe?
True with one exception. The difference in the loudness between the test pipe and the race pipe is a minor difference. IMO, there is no loudness difference between the test pipe and the race pipe. If I am wrong, hopefully someone will chime-in.

I think one reason people get the test pipe instead of the race pipe is because the test pipe looks similar to a real cat. And, that race pipe....well, it is easy for anyone to see that you remove the cat.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Advanced

oh so theres really no sound difference between race pipe and test pipe? and if i got a ATLP test pipe. would i be able to get any j pipe or will it have to be ATLP. sounds like a stupid question but im still new at this sorry guys
Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 PM
winner

anyone of them.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Okay, i've been reading this forum for a while, rare poster but here I am.
I have no idea what Pre Cat deletes/J-Pipes/Test pipes/Down-pipes do, nor the difference between them.
I also don't understand what a whole "exhaust system" will give me.
I am very interested in the Tanabe Medallion or Comptech exhaust system, I think they're roughly about $1,000.
If having one of "Pre Cat deletes/J-Pipes/Test pipes/Down-pipes" would help with my exhaust system, or if having/not having any of these would be better, please advise.
Thanks for all of what you all are doing, I've learned a heck of a lot on this forum. I'm excited to see these azine stickers around so I can sport it on the car!
Thanks!
-vince
Lol, you are only about 5 min away from me... call me up and I'll get you informed

heh, little late to the post I know...

949-295-1668

Marcus
Old 12-03-2009, 06:22 PM
LiQuiDFleX81

so if i wanted to go the Rv6 route,, could i connect my stock pre cats to the Rv6 jpipe then connect to the test pipe and then test pipe connect to stock exhaust?

it says the jpipe and test pipe are 2.5in,, these will bolt right up to our 2.25in connections? (j pipe into stock pre cats, and test pipe into stock exhaust) ?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:25 PM
practicing nihilist

it's made to work that way but it's not the most efficient.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:31 AM
10th Gear

Hey guys, a few questions:

1.Is the High Flow Cat much quieter compared to the test pipe?
2.I understand that the test pipe and race pipe are very similar, but I'm just wondering if it is worth the money to go for a HFC instead of a test pipe?
3.Also, how much do test pipes generally run for?
4. Best brands for HFC's or Test pipes?

Thanks!!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:14 AM
practicing nihilist

PM totalacuratl
he has done test pipe and HFC configurations on his exhaust
think he stuck with the HFC, it's certainly quieter than the test pipe (resonated race pipe)
think RV6 makes the HFC, around $300 (?)
test/race pipes were much, much cheaper, like maybe $70. again don't remember so go to his site
test pipe is far less restrictive and cheaper, but louder.
backing a cheap resonator up against the test pipe muffles a bit. that's what I'm running to full ATLP Base (with PCD's and J-pipe). I wouldn't call it quiet but, it's not annoying.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 PM
The obstacle is the path.

Originally Posted by type-s'er
so is it worth getting pre-cats, j-pipe, and race pipe if i am going to keep my cat-back stock? Or will the bottlenecking kill the performance gains?
can someone please answer this poor fellows question!!!!??!!??
Old 12-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by type-s'er
so is it worth getting pre-cats, j-pipe, and race pipe if i am going to keep my cat-back stock? or will the bottlenecking kill the performance gains?
If you plan on keeping your 3rd cat and mid muffler, they will restrict more and you wont get the most out of your exhaust mods. IMO, the 3rd cat and mid muffler are totally useless.

So in other words, mod your cat-back

Quick Reply: Pre Cat deletes/J-Pipes/Test pipes/Down-pipes WHAT?!?!?!