Poor Man's Turbo... Yeah why not

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:45 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Poor Man's Turbo... Yeah why not

here's the deal.. well we all love richie's precat deletes... and I have seen how expensive that turbo kit is... who's gonna attempt a poor man's turbo and hopefully someone's local to me cuz I am down to help

all we need is a few band clamps ... replace the primaries with richie's precats and we good to go... course you need a gt35 and an intercooler... fyi... Richie sells intercoolers

I will start the discussion this way... I know you guys loved my poor man's intake manifold spacer...

PS. item posted above is $220 shipped...
Old 11-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-15-2009, 11:37 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
who makes those parts? i'm sure you've seen the tl engine bay...not much room for parts that aren't a perfect fit ya know :/
Old 11-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
????????????????????
Old 11-16-2009, 12:23 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

It's some ebay shit... Ebay seller ap1ap2 or something

That's the thing, there maybe no room in the engine bay but if you look closely you'll see the turbo will be mounted where the battery goes

If you take out the battery, there's a mount bellow it that also come off... And since the intake is now gone, more space there... There's more than enough room

He'll I've seen a k24 turbo charged fit, that engine bay is small compared to the tl... We'll I'll have my turbo teg in no time at all
Old 11-16-2009, 02:03 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 349 Likes on 291 Posts
looks like the kit for the 98-02 AV6 / 2G TL/CL

quite interesting.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Poor Man's Turbo will not end up being a Poor Man's Turbo. It'll become a more expensive turbo than the original "Rich Man's Turbo" because it is first incomplete, untested, unresearched, and not organized. It will cause damage to every part of the car, transmission, engine, and other parts if the turbo isn't carefully maintained and built accordingly for our cars. Come on now, Rodney did his best to make this turbo, this thread is almost like a slap in his face since he has spent so much time on it and you're trying to find a cheaper alternative that is known NOT to work since our cars has been out.

You have to pay to play.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:03 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Poor Man's Turbo will not end up being a Poor Man's Turbo. It'll become a more expensive turbo than the original "Rich Man's Turbo" because it is first incomplete, untested, unresearched, and not organized. It will cause damage to every part of the car, transmission, engine, and other parts if the turbo isn't carefully maintained and built accordingly for our cars. Come on now, Rodney did his best to make this turbo, this thread is almost like a slap in his face since he has spent so much time on it and you're trying to find a cheaper alternative that is known NOT to work since our cars has been out.

You have to pay to play.
Im sorry man but this has to be THE most biased and uninformed post i have ever read in my life.

First off, you do have to pay to play, but u dont have to pay for R&D that someone else has done when you DIY.

This DIY turbo idea has been around longer than TL's and if im not mistaken people have been building custom kits before rodney came along

Rodneys kit is amazing

but honestly, it could be cheaper. not everyone needs top of the line parts for their purpose.

there is no such thing as a turbo designed for the Tl.

turbo KIT maybe.

the reason a turbo kit hasnt been created earlier was because everyone was too afraid to tune it or didnt know how.

now the FIC has been proven to work with the tl and anyone can buy it and get a harness made by paul. tuning problem is solved.

and the rest is just building a kit, which is simple.

with a good tuner and a custom kit, you can save a LOT of money rather than buying a 7k kit.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:05 AM
I got the Shifts

and another thing: Rodneys kit was designed for the average TL driver on this site - someone who wants to bolt up a part and make thier car faster without knowing why or how it was done.

now im not saying this includes everyone but it is the majority of the people on here.

The guy who started this thread isnt one of those drivers, he is putting a TL engine in an integra.

now can you offer some help on getting the thread on track or will you continue to derail it while standing on yoru morality soap box?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Bored at work

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
here's the deal.. Well we all love richie's precat deletes... And i have seen how expensive that turbo kit is... Who's gonna attempt a poor man's turbo and hopefully someone's local to me cuz i am down to help

all we need is a few band clamps ... Replace the primaries with richie's precats and we good to go... Course you need a gt35 and an intercooler... Fyi... Richie sells intercoolers

i will start the discussion this way... I know you guys loved my poor man's intake manifold spacer...

Ps. Item posted above is $220 shipped...

when do you want to start....i already got the aem f/c and an extra motor......let me know...
Old 11-16-2009, 10:14 AM
I got the Shifts

if u guys need help just send me a pm
Old 11-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Thank you phee.

Originally Posted by phee
Im sorry man but this has to be THE most biased and uninformed post i have ever read in my life.

First off, you do have to pay to play, but u dont have to pay for R&D that someone else has done when you DIY.

This DIY turbo idea has been around longer than TL's and if im not mistaken people have been building custom kits before rodney came along

Rodneys kit is amazing

but honestly, it could be cheaper. not everyone needs top of the line parts for their purpose.

turbo KIT maybe.

the reason a turbo kit hasnt been created earlier was because everyone was too afraid to tune it or didnt know how.

now the FIC has been proven to work with the tl and anyone can buy it and get a harness made by paul. tuning problem is solved.

with a good tuner and a custom kit, you can save a LOT of money rather than buying a 7k kit.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:59 AM

Rodneys kit is amazing

turbo KIT maybe.

True for most part, but I'm not sure you can find a kit, the same Rodney is producing for a fraction of the price. Don't get me wrong, my car knowledge is not much, but if Rodney is selling it for 7.5k, than that is the ballpark on how much it cost with R&D and other stuff. Opel, IHC, Inaccurate, Majofo and others can comment on this, since my car knowledge is
Old 11-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I got the Shifts

its all good bro. but it can be done cheaper when its purpose built and isnt designed to blanket the market
Old 11-16-2009, 03:25 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
its all good bro. but it can be done cheaper when its purpose built and isnt designed to blanket the market
ok, i have to interject... have you been talking to rodney on a pretty regular basis? If you actually knew what all your were getting, you wouldn't post such an unresearched mess of posts. The turbo you get from their kit by itself is a grand, and unless you forgot they don't exactly have a production line going on down there...

Be aware guys that if you do try to make a "poor mans" turbo, you may become a "broke man" in more ways than one. At least with rodneys kit, you're kind of buying some insurance. It's parts that are specific to YOUR car, not a civic. Please don't turn these awesome cars into the new civics.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Mom why is there two?

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Xiomaro
ok, i have to interject... have you been talking to rodney on a pretty regular basis? If you actually knew what all your were getting, you wouldn't post such an unresearched mess of posts. The turbo you get from their kit by itself is a grand, and unless you forgot they don't exactly have a production line going on down there...

Be aware guys that if you do try to make a "poor mans" turbo, you may become a "broke man" in more ways than one. At least with rodneys kit, you're kind of buying some insurance. It's parts that are specific to YOUR car, not a civic. Please don't turn these awesome cars into the new civics.
wurd
Old 11-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Xiomaro

the only part that is specific to the TL is the manifold and maybe the harness for the FIC. That's it. Just because a turbo is expensive doens't mean that a less expensive turbo is less cabable. I can get a borg warner turbo for $350 that is perfect for this application. Borg warner is race and oem approved.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:47 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

^ not to mention bw turbo's spool slightly later than garrett... which means no popped axles

but back on track...

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OTHER TURBO KIT THREAD

I simply posted this in the "FORUM" so that we could discuss...

I mean to say that me posting this is a slap in the face to someone who busted their asses building a kit is unfair to me... because although I applaud the work... the shell the motor is going into was purchased for $700 ...

I am simply putting this out for discussion...
not my fault I bumped into this on another forum...

I figured heck this would motivate the guys who don't want to spend half what the car is worth on a turbo kit... (yessir tl's are 15k and a dime a dozen)

Poor Man vs Broke Man Argument
Tubing Posted Above $99 (ebay search "honda v6 turbo") fyi obx makes it also but they want 350
Labor Rate to modify and strengthen $300-500
Turbo (go fish too many choices)
Intercooler $99
Piping $99
bov waste gate (go fish too many choices)
aem fic... shop around... paul would quickly assist with wiring

ps. I am not here to start conflict... I am here to start discussions and to help members get bit by the mod bug...

Last edited by stillhere153; 11-16-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
I would love to start a project from scratch but damn.. I hardly have enough time to show love to the TL as it is.. What are your guys thoughts on stock injectors & fuel pump? necessary to go bigger & at what threshold should we move up? what are some good options OE or aftermarket that won't break the bank? If anyone in the central TX area is up to it I'm down. I'm sure you tristate guys will get something going soon.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
This is not meant to go after rodney or anyone but dont u think most of rodneys cost is the time and money spent in finding what will work best? Now that its done its a great deal for someone with little to none knowledge and wants a turbo but it defiantly can be done for cheaper. Rodneys is easier since it comes with map and all tools for install.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Herro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
If I'm looking at this correctly, that middle piping in the picture that merges into one connects the pre-cat deletes then connects to the piping directly to the right of it. but looking at the length of that piping that merges into one, looks like you'll have to cut it shorter in order to make it work with the pre-cat deletes. The pre-cat deletes looks longer in length compared to the headers pictured.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:55 PM
I got the Shifts

Can we keep the comparisons out f this thread? Let's just keep this about a custom kit. This thread was not to bash rodneys turbo at all so all the defensive posts can be left out.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:58 PM
I got the Shifts

The Down pipe will have to be shortened
Old 11-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Phee, love the new Avatar!
Old 11-17-2009, 12:46 PM

Dunno, but when I was researching about the M3 and its boards they always told me not too buy those cheap ass Turbos as they use cheap material and lack a lot of _____ (forgot), also the tune is basically the most vital thing and which cost the load of it. They also had pictures of blown engines, transmission, and other components when using those cheap turboes. Now how much is a Turbo M3? About the same price of our cars. 20-25k. That's why I may not go with the M3
Old 11-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

^ piping is piping.. just as long as you strengthen some of the welds.. you're good to go.. thats how i see it....

its the turbine that is a no no..

you're paying $100-$300 for piping thats like.. almost finished half the work. all you need is to supply your own snail and intercooler and take it to a shop to get some piping lengthened.. or shortened and the welds rewelded....

then all the other stuff listed.. blah blah blah
Old 11-17-2009, 12:52 PM
I got the Shifts

Dunno, but when I was researching about the M3 and its boards they always told me not too buy those cheap ass Turbos as they use cheap material and lack a lot of _____ (forgot), also the tune is basically the most vital thing and which cost the load of it. They also had pictures of blown engines, transmission, and other components when using those cheap turboes. Now how much is a Turbo M3? About the same price of our cars. 20-25k. That's why I may not go with the M3
u can buy these cheap pipes and reweld them. the turbo is a seperate part and can be purchased to yoru liking. a gt35 is kind of bif for our cars and wouldnt spool till about 3-4k.

i personally have a t3 that i will be using on my kit
Old 11-17-2009, 12:56 PM
I got the Shifts

reason why im using the t3 is to have full boost around 2 k and a big torquey powerband during city driving
Old 11-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

u can buy these cheap pipes and reweld them. the turbo is a seperate part and can be purchased to yoru liking. a gt35 is kind of bif for our cars and wouldnt spool till about 3-4k.

zomg. pics naoh~
Old 11-17-2009, 12:57 PM
I got the Shifts

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Phee, love the new Avatar!
thanks. it pretty much sums me up while driving
Old 11-17-2009, 12:58 PM
I got the Shifts

Originally Posted by jjashaa
zomg. pics naoh~
NO!

and u better not tell anyone
Old 11-17-2009, 01:37 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts

Ok I have stayed out of this because I figured it would die out. How are you going to address the tuning aspect of the build? Do you have the $$$ to make a ton of trips to the dyno, or access to a tuner you trust? I drive my TL as my daily driver and wouldn't risk my engine to a untested kit.

Sure go get a junkyard turbo, some Ebay tubing and a AEM FIC and unless you work for or own a shop the $5700 for the real turbo kit will be a drop in the bucket compaired to the $$$ lost to broken parts and time on the dyno tuning.

I am going to stay with a tested kit and make it to work in the morning. IMO the poor mans turbo will do just that kill your car and make you poor.

On another note I think this is a slap in the face to Pass427's kit. He spends tons of money and time to make a good turbo kit for the 3G community and instead of buying it you try to make your own. I think if it were that cheap and easy Pass's kit would have been released.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Avant Garde Wheels

^ and yet people here complain on how expensive the ATLP is and go make their own poor man's quad..

but anyways....
Old 11-17-2009, 01:46 PM
I got the Shifts

Originally Posted by Hi speed
Ok I have stayed out of this because I figured it would die out. How are you going to address the tuning aspect of the build? Do you have the $$$ to make a ton of trips to the dyno, or access to a tuner you trust? I drive my TL as my daily driver and wouldn't risk my engine to a untested kit.

Sure go get a junkyard turbo, some Ebay tubing and a AEM FIC and unless you work for or own a shop the $5700 for the real turbo kit will be a drop in the bucket compaired to the $$$ lost to broken parts and time on the dyno tuning.

I am going to stay with a tested kit and make it to work in the morning. IMO the poor mans turbo will do just that kill your car and make you poor.

On another note I think this is a slap in the face to Pass427's kit. He spends tons of money and time to make a good turbo kit for the 3G community and instead of buying it you try to make your own. I think if it were that cheap and easy Pass's kit would have been released.
cute.

nowhere did i state my turbo was a junkyard turbo
i also dont have a 3g. i have a 2g with a 3g 6 speed tranny.
i have fic and emanage blue
i know how to tune myself
and these turbo pipes have been used for years now.

im talking from experience when i say the downpipe will need to be shortened and the welds need to be strengthened.

this thread isnt a slap in the face and if you feel it is then you can easily not participate in it.

im real happy for you and immma let you finish but you fall into the category that i mentioned earlier, the buyer who just wants to buy something and paste it onto their car with the least interaction from the user.

this thread isnt for people like that.

this thread is about taking an already proven method and making it more readily available to people who like to do it themselves.

i also dont understand why so many guys on this side claim that tuning is going to cost upwards of 1k. if you have the right ECM and your tuner takes 8 hours to tune your shit then u need a new tuner.

hourly rate in GA is 150 for tuning and thats expensive from what ive heard.

Last edited by phee; 11-17-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:55 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Originally Posted by Hi speed

tuning (guess who lives in New Jersey)

as for spending money on pass's kit... I don't have a tl anymore... I have a $700 integra

if you think this is a slap in the face to pass's kit... then have him post on here... rather than accuse me of slapping a guy I haven't met in the face
Old 11-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
You're definitely taking this thread the wrong way Hi Speed.. back to my question.. who knows the limitations or at least the specs on the stock 3G injectors & pump?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Al, putting that jack to good use i see LMAO. i need one now.

im not into the whole turbo thing at all(knowledge wise) but from what i have read is that the problem was tuning and pass has proven that it was possible. Besides that, every other piece of a turbo kit you can get yourself.

Precision 61/62, 62mm turbo with .68ar
Tial mvs wastegate
Hks version 3 blowoffvalve
Aem fic 3019-10 (with tuned map for 370-380whp)
Aem extension harness
Knock link gauge monitor
Walbro 255 intank fuel pump
Fuel injectors plug & play
Intercooler 25x11x3
Intercooler piping with vband clamps & couplers
Exhaust piping 2.5" hi temp coating included
Vband exhaust piping connectors
3" downpipe with 3" flex pipe ( bolt to stock flange)
Oil feed and drain line kit all an fittings

Everyone should still be very pleased and thank Pass for the R&D, time, blood, sweat and tears put in for his kit. Now, he is making money off of his R&D and more props to him for being able to do so and we wish him well. that being said, the door is completely wide open for ANYONE to build a turbo with whatever setup they want. Sure pass's kit is complete but what if your not the type to just "plug and play"?

Old 11-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
What would be a slap in the face is if anyone who is posting to this thread and looking to do this signed up for the feeler thread saying they were in.

I'm not going to go back and see and Rodney and John can easily do that. But they have already stated that becoming a vendor here did not really pay off.

I'm in the bolt in category but not in the leave it alone crowd. I want something I can drive right away with little effort and then go from there with a tuner. The going rate around here is also $150/hr for dyno time, don't know if that includes the assistance of a tuner.

This isn't meant to defend any side, just throwing in my two cents.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:06 PM

cute.

nowhere did i state my turbo was a junkyard turbo
i also dont have a 3g. i have a 2g with a 3g 6 speed tranny.
i have fic and emanage blue
i know how to tune myself
and these turbo pipes have been used for years now.

im talking from experience when i say the downpipe will need to be shortened and the welds need to be strengthened.

this thread isnt a slap in the face and if you feel it is then you can easily not participate in it.

im real happy for you and immma let you finish but you fall into the category that i mentioned earlier, the buyer who just wants to buy something and paste it onto their car with the least interaction from the user.

this thread isnt for people like that.

this thread is about taking an already proven method and making it more readily available to people who like to do it themselves.

i also dont understand why so many guys on this side claim that tuning is going to cost upwards of 1k. if you have the right ECM and your tuner takes 8 hours to tune your shit then u need a new tuner.

hourly rate in GA is 150 for tuning and thats expensive from what ive heard.
understood. Of course you're not directly insulting Rodney's turbo, but you are indirectly. You've got to realize that in 5-6 years of our car's existence, noone ever suceeded in getting the turbo to work on our cars (especially tuning). Now he has spent over 10k fabbing this turbo, and a thread like this appears. If a cheaper turbo comes out from parts from ebay and a simple tune than he LOSES money. He wasted his TIME. He wasted his HARD WORK. All for nothing. He faced odds and criticism in the beginning from countless people until he showed videos and pictures of dynos in the turbo thread. Banelba was criticized even more and was thrown to the curve especially when his tranny died on the first day he drove with the turbo. We can be respectful and discuss via PM or in the future when Rodney's turbo is out and running, not when it is still doing R&D.

You're going to make everyone think, Can I get this for cheaper? Screw Rodney, I'm going to get a 3k kit, and forget his 7k kit. I know you don't mean to say that, but indirectly you are saying it loud and clear. Also a 2G with a 3G tranny is not a 3G. Almost like comparing a ZR1 and a C06

Last edited by TheChamp531; 11-17-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:33 PM
I got the Shifts

understood. Of course you're not directly insulting Rodney's turbo, but you are indirectly. You've got to realize that in 5-6 years of our car's existence, noone ever suceeded in getting the turbo to work on our cars (especially tuning). Now he has spent over 10k fabbing this turbo, and a thread like this appears. If a cheaper turbo comes out from parts from ebay and a simple tune than he LOSES money. He wasted his TIME. He wasted his HARD WORK. All for nothing. He faced odds and criticism in the beginning from countless people until he showed videos and pictures of dynos in the turbo thread. Banelba was criticized even more and was thrown to the curve especially when his tranny died on the first day he drove with the turbo. We can be respectful and discuss via PM or in the future when Rodney's turbo is out and running, not when it is still doing R&D.

You're going to make everyone think, Can I get this for cheaper? Screw Rodney, I'm going to get a 3k kit, and forget his 7k kit. I know you don't mean to say that, but indirectly you are saying it loud and clear. Also a 2G with a 3G tranny is not a 3G. Almost like comparing a ZR1 and a C06

im not even going to bother arguing with you guys on this thread anymore. if you guys have gripes then take it to pm with me.

back to the discussion

majofo: the injectors can be taken up to 8-9 lbs of boost before they start gunking up. after that you can push it but you will have reliability issues. my recommendation would be to use RC injectors or S2k injectors.

Quick Reply: Poor Man's Turbo... Yeah why not