One month owned- planned mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 01:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One month owned- planned mods

After having the car for a month and putting around 1,800 miles on it I’ve gotten a good feel for what I want to do to the car. So far I’ve completed the not so monumental task of plasti dipping the inner grille pieces and the rear badges.
-The car came with the OEM alloys and they were slightly curbrashed. My mechanic discovered about a week ago that one or more of the rims had been minorly bent by a pothole or a curb which explained some shakiness that I thought was a tire imbalance. -The car came with a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3s so I will run these rims until the tires are done and I will be moving up to 18 or 19 inch rims and putting on Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06’s on.
-Will be looking to buy a Type-S decklick spoiler and a roof spoiler both in carbon bronze pearl from heeltoeauto at some point.
-love the sound of the 3.2 with an exhaust and was looking at an XLR8 catback and J pipe but then read awful things about the quality. I will most likely be looking at an endlessrpm catback/j pipe as I have read better things and they also give a lifetime warranty.
-definitely will be looking to put on either 35% or 20% tints all the way around.

This is a decent list of things I’d like to do. Would love to do some work with the suspsension lower the car but that will follow this stuff.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Are you gonna lower it after putting those Contis on 19s?

Mechanic found your wheels to be “out of round”?

Is yours an Auto TL? If so, you can do a Manuel tranny swap on the low-low. Just a few parts.

Is it one month owned? Or one month financed.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:31 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Saving4aTL
Is yours an Auto TL? If so, you can do a Manuel tranny swap on the low-low. Just a few parts.
Hmmm, @Saving4aTL , I would have thought you've been around here long enough to have learned an Auto to Manual conversion on a 3G TL is not for the feint of heart or the light of wallet. Last year when I came on board I did a little research through the threads, and if I recall correctly, there have been upwards of a dozen "project" cars which have undergone the gender change; to date I believe there has been a single successful transplant and a second partially successful operation.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:19 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Saving4aTL
Are you gonna lower it after putting those Contis on 19s?

Mechanic found your wheels to be “out of round”?

Is it one month owned? Or one month financed.
Saving4atl Car was bought outright in October. One or more rims was slightly bent by an impact from something like a pothole. It’s an auto with navi, don’t really mind how the five speed is geared besides parking lot speeds and don’t think I’d want to invest in a manual conversion- saving for a J100 land cruiser
Old 12-10-2018, 12:36 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Do you think the 5 AT is responsive enough with downshifting... Mine seemed like it needed a lot of throttle to force a kickdown... But it may have just been me... Not a big deal though... And does the auto jerk hard into the next gear when upshiting at 5-6K rpm? I think mine had bad tranny mounts... Just curious if this is how they all are...

I hope you're enjoying the TL!
Old 12-10-2018, 12:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Do you think the 5 AT is responsive enough with downshifting... Mine seemed like it needed a lot of throttle to force a kickdown... But it may have just been me... Not a big deal though... And does the auto jerk hard into the next gear when upshiting at 5-6K rpm? I think mine had bad tranny mounts... Just curious if this is how they all are...

It certainly takes some coaxing to downshift but for a 10 year old 5 speed I wasn’t expecting double clutch quickness. I’m happy with it and it is easy enough to drop down and make quick passes in traffic or when I have to do it at highway speed. I have to say for a car under 7 grand the acceleration available at any speed is top of the market. And as for shifting at 5-6000 rpm it definitely throws you a little but nothing hard enough to startle anyone.
A side note is that one thing I have noticed consistently is not much torque kicking in until the top of the rpm range. I’ve never owned a vtec before this car and I know that is somewhat characteristic but just thought I’d mention an observation.
Old 12-10-2018, 03:45 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by CarbonBronze08_TL

A side note is that one thing I have noticed consistently is not much torque kicking in until the top of the rpm range. I’ve never owned a vtec before this car and I know that is somewhat characteristic but just thought I’d mention an observation.

Welcome to a HONDA engine!

Almost ALL Honda/Acura engines are that way! A polar opposite to the Toyota MZ V6 in your old Lexus...

The only Honda's with some torque are maybe the old Acura Vigors wich is a smaller sedan produced form 1994-1996... I'm sure the Legends and RLs aren't too shabby... My 2007 RDX with the K23A1 2.3 Turbo has gob loads of torque after 2K rpm!!!

I drove a K24A4 Accord a few years ago and for what it was, it had some balls off the line!

The TLs aren't too weak on torque if you aren't hauling a big load of cargo or passengers and if your spark plugs are good... A proper tune up ought to help a bit!

I find the J32A3 engine has good torque from idle to about 2K rpm, then hits a dead spot, then begins a stron pull at about 3,500 rpm, and after 4K, she's gone !

I'd start with a good tune up, spark plugs, valve adjustments, tranny drain and fill, air filter and maybe the ECU reset to get a little throttle response back!

If you want more, RV6 J-Pipe!

But if you have 4-5 fat passengers, or keep the trunk full of tools, you're not going anywhere until 4K rpm.... Stock, atleast!

You could maybe run a little more psi in the tires... Like 36 insted of 32-33 psi, that helps a lot with torque and fuel economy... But it will make the handling a tiny bit less stable...

How's your fuel economy, BTW?
Old 12-10-2018, 07:47 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
You could maybe run a little more psi in the tires... Like 36 insted of 32-33 psi, that helps a lot with torque and fuel economy... But it will make the handling a tiny bit less stable...
Hmmm, maybe true for the automatic models with the softer suspensions, but for my 6MT 40 psi front and 38 psi rear makes for the very best in handling stability.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

How's your fuel economy, BTW?
Consistent 20-21 mpg whether I’m driving around town or on the highway. I live at school but make the hour-highway trip to home and back about every week or two. I do drive the car slightly hard but only at times and usually will sit 80-85 on the highway.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:59 PM
Safety Car

Wink

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Hmmm, @Saving4aTL , I would have thought you've been around here long enough to have learned an Auto to Manual conversion on a 3G TL is not for the feint of heart or the light of wallet. Last year when I came on board I did a little research through the threads, and if I recall correctly, there have been upwards of a dozen "project" cars which have undergone the gender change; to date I believe there has been a single successful transplant and a second partially successful operation.
I was being facetious
Old 12-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,120 Likes on 893 Posts
I have a used type-s deck lid spoiler for sale just saying
Old 05-29-2019, 08:52 PM
Safety Car

Hey bud, just read this. The 5AT downshifts smooth on the slapstick. The higher rpms flow well and the shifts are also smooth. This is with the Comptech S/C.

I think your tranny needed to be looked at, or at the least a 3x3.
@Midnight Mystery
Old 05-29-2019, 11:43 PM
Null and proud of it

Hey bud... That TL is long gone... I traded it for a Kia Optima over a year ago, but I'm thinking of getting a V6 Accord now anyways...

Yeah, I think it was the tranny mounts... I'm sure it needed the 3x3 and pressure switches, but it never slipped or went into the wrong gear or anything...

I just found the TL to be a bit of a heavy, lazy car compared to some of the other Honda/Acuras I've driven, and I do hope to rejoin the J-series club soon!
Old 05-30-2019, 08:02 AM
Safety Car

Bro,

Have you driven a manual TL? It drives light like a civic. Even from the way it starts.

I agree that the Automatic TL seems heavy like a tank. It’s multifactorial, but may be mostly due to the gearing.

I recommend a 04-06 6MT. It handles and drives very easy compared to the 5AT. When I hop out from one TL to the other, the difference is vast.