OLD and NEW K&N OEM FILTERs <PICS>

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OLD and NEW K&N OEM FILTERs <PICS>

here you go...
i revceived the new filter last week.
the weather was nice enough to swap them.
the dirty one is the old one (33-2078).
the one on the right is the new one (33-2299).
notice how thinner the new one is.
the corners on the new one is also rounded.
enjoy the pics....

i also took advantage and swapped out my 18" SSRs
(https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/question-about-s105-88093/#post1050015)
with the stocks for winter. the pics i posted were right after i detailed it.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
good post, thanks for the pics! points for you!
Old 12-05-2004, 08:52 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
SO, 3PUTT, does K&N fix all the old issues? Thanks.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79098
Old 12-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rets
SO, 3PUTT, does K&N fix all the old issues? Thanks.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79098
i will let you know as soon as i get to drive it.
after the wheel/tire swap and the air filter, i was beat.
i did not get to drive the car yet.

it does fit fine. i will give an update soon.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

i went for a quick drive last night.
for some reason, the car sounded different...in a good way.
it sounded sportier. i drove with the stereo turned off.
it was around 11:30pm. it was getting very cold.

my commute this morning was about the same as it normally is.
updates will continue as i log in more miles and then check
the filter physically for any of the problems mentioned before.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Thanks for the info and pics, 3putt. Great information. How much does the filter cost and where did you get it from, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 12-06-2004, 12:52 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did it eliminate that whistle noise others complained about. Like asked above, How much????
Old 12-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

i got the filter from http://www.4filters.com/ for $38.

i have never really heard the whistling sound. if it is the very faint whistling sound, then i think it is still there.

the major whistling issue was from the Injen CAI...i think.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Last question, is it worth the $40.00?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:55 PM
Racer

i have a 2000TL with a k&N its worth it , only 40 bux, you get a lil bit better pull, nothing crazy, gives u better mileage, and just think changing your stock air filter 4 times would get u to about 50k miles, the k&n is re-usable so u wont have to buy another one ever again so right there its already worth it.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:04 PM
Car Addict

I ordered one it was $38.34 with free shipping from that website, should take 4 days.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Why does my eye tell me the old one had more filter element? It appears to have way more depth to it.

????
Old 12-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Advanced

Definitely looks like more filter area in the old one.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Rage
Why does my eye tell me the old one had more filter element? It appears to have way more depth to it.

????
Yes, but doesn't that mean that the new filter is less restrictive? If so, that probably translates into a 0.004 BHP gain rather than a 0.003 BHP increase. j/k
Old 12-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

????
Could you please explain as to why that makes a difference....Which one would you recommend?
Old 12-09-2004, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinen
Could you please explain as to why that makes a difference....Which one would you recommend?
more filter medium = more filter area = greater filtration capacity

i would assume
Old 12-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by Jinen
Less filter media = less capacity, and higher restriction, all things being equal.

I would not choose either - I think K&N filters use sub-standard sealing material(cheap Plastisol) and filter poorly. For high perf gauze filters, I recommend AFE filters, and frequent oil changes. Since I do not want that hassle on the TL, and it is likely to benefit little from ANY air filter, I use the stock, quality filter.

I will tell you one other thing - unless that filter makes an occlusive seal with the factory airbox, a ton of dirt will get into your car, without a doubt.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Weapon X

FYI http://www.4filters.com/find.asp went up on the price a bit. $42.17

May want to try http://www.fox-performance.com/find.asp instead $38.34
Old 12-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Team Abyss Horseman

Changing the type of filter wouldn't void the warranty would it? I'm just cautious cuz I opted for the 100k extended warranty.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Weapon X

Originally Posted by TL2k5
Changing the type of filter wouldn't void the warranty would it? I'm just cautious cuz I opted for the 100k extended warranty.

Maybe thats something to ask the service guys, or whom you have the extended warranty with. I would think not becuase you arent harming the car in anyway. The car has a better performing filter in it. Its like saying Im putting new rims on my car, is it going to void the warranty.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Racer

From my experience, K&N's let in more dirt than OEM paper filters. They may also let in more air, but the price is worn valve guides and rings in less time than OEM. I ran a K&N for nearly 100k miles in a CRX in Florida (clean environment compared to North East) & the engine still ran fine, but the valve guides were very worn compared to my wife's higher mileage, OEM air filtered car. The CRX intake tract was lined with gritty dirt as well.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:58 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I am sooooo confused. When in doubt go with the OEM then for an air filter?

Old 12-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does this fit the 05 TL also?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I used K&N's in my cars for a few years until I realized that they are not a mod at all... it's a gimmick, and I agree w/ those above who mentioned how they do let more pollutants into the engine and thus can allow more wear and tear on your engine. There IS NO SEAT-OF-YOUR-PANTS difference/improvement with the K&N .. anyone who tells you so is either a) wishfully hoping for a justification for the $40.00, or b) clueless, c) other.

No offense to anyone who buys into K&N.. I just didn't notice any difference on mulitple cars. Perhaps there is a 1-2hp measureable difference on a dyno, but c'mon.. is that "bragging right" worth ANY possiblity (proven or unproven) of potentially damaging your engine, 02 sensor (as K&N are KNOWN to do in Nissan Maxima's), or other OEM air induction parts.

$0.02 CHUH-CHING!!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GRich4u
Maybe thats something to ask the service guys, or whom you have the extended warranty with. I would think not becuase you arent harming the car in anyway. The car has a better performing filter in it. Its like saying Im putting new rims on my car, is it going to void the warranty.
It may be a better performing filter -- but at what cost?

This is an OILED filter.. therefore, microdroplets of oil from the filter (especially after a fresh cleaning and re-oiling) may adversely affect and/or damage the 02 sensor in certain cars.

When I installed an air intake on my TL-S, I did it knowing full well that it would ultimately decrease engine life b/c there was a less restrictive flow of air and therefore probably a less restrictive barrier to pollutants. Also, the cone foam filter was also oiled, and I risked damaging sensitive parts such as the 02 sensor in the throttle body.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:54 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
It may be a better performing filter -- but at what cost?

This is an OILED filter.. therefore, microdroplets of oil from the filter (especially after a fresh cleaning and re-oiling) may adversely affect and/or damage the 02 sensor in certain cars.

When I installed an air intake on my TL-S, I did it knowing full well that it would ultimately decrease engine life b/c there was a less restrictive flow of air and therefore probably a less restrictive barrier to pollutants. Also, the cone foam filter was also oiled, and I risked damaging sensitive parts such as the 02 sensor in the throttle body.
Peter: I agree with everything you said wholeheartedly, except the O2 sensor thing. Oiled media filters can negatively affect MAF sensors, but the O2 sensors are so far downstream of the intake, and post-combustion to boot, that this is not an issue we can blame on the gauze filters, of which K&N is just one.

If readers substitute "MAF sensor" for O2 sensor in Peter's posts, you will be well-served. But note that the Honda does not use a MAF sensor, and the MAP sensor is not affected by adulterants like oil on it.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:34 PM
Safety Car

Peter: I agree with everything you said wholeheartedly, except the O2 sensor thing. Oiled media filters can negatively affect MAF sensors, but the O2 sensors are so far downstream of the intake, and post-combustion to boot, that this is not an issue we can blame on the gauze filters, of which K&N is just one.

If readers substitute "MAF sensor" for O2 sensor in Peter's posts, you will be well-served. But note that the Honda does not use a MAF sensor, and the MAP sensor is not affected by adulterants like oil on it.
Rage,

Thank you for the correction, you're right, I should have used MAF in place of O2 sensor.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Less filter media = less capacity, and higher restriction, all things being equal.

I would not choose either - I think K&N filters use sub-standard sealing material(cheap Plastisol) and filter poorly. For high perf gauze filters, I recommend AFE filters, and frequent oil changes. Since I do not want that hassle on the TL, and it is likely to benefit little from ANY air filter, I use the stock, quality filter.

I will tell you one other thing - unless that filter makes an occlusive seal with the factory airbox, a ton of dirt will get into your car, without a doubt.
Whats the difference w/ AFE filters and K&N? They look almost the same
Old 12-11-2004, 06:35 AM
Drifting

same hype as irridium plugs!! hey..if it makes you feel good..........
Old 12-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Instructor

I am considering using an Amsoil wetted foam filter when they make one. I am concerned
however about any wet or oiled filter as the oil may get into the 02 sensor.

I'm sure if any problems came up the dealer would blame the oil regardless of real reason.
Craig
Old 12-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Instructor

What do you think about Air Raid filters? Do they make them for the TL?
Old 12-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Not a Blowhole

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
Whats the difference w/ AFE filters and K&N? They look almost the same
Your eyesight needs attention, grasshopper.
AFE filters have better cotton, more pleats, use silicone rubber instead of plastisol. and have a curved inlet throat.

Other than that, nothing.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GRich4u
FYI http://www.4filters.com/find.asp went up on the price a bit. $42.17

May want to try http://www.fox-performance.com/find.asp instead $38.34
it is the same company. if you call to place your order, they'll charge you the cheaper price.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Advanced

Just got mine at ajusa.com/mt - use that address for free shipping - $38.94 I think it was total shipped.

I've had K&N's in my last 4 cars and current motorcycle - never any problems fitting, noises, or 02 sensors (including in my recent Maxima). I do think they aid slightly in performance and/or fuel economy and that it might be measurable. Dirt coming in is probably due to not having a proper fit vs. the filter element. Dealers don't like it because you are taking away a 100% markup item from them (so they'll come up with stories of voiding warranties, etc.). I've never had a car with a K&N past 100,000 miles, so I can't comment about possible engine wear.

Oh - is this one easy to install guys? Never really bothered finding out until I had to do my wife's ex-Jetta - OH MY GOD.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:20 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

I've been using the same K&N filter in my '69 Dodge Dart for ten years. Given the limited mileage (25K-30K in twelve years of ownership), I've only cleaned and oiled it a few times. I'm satisfied with it.

I just ordered K&N filters for my TL and '99 Toyota Solara. I should have 'em by week's end.

Regards,
Old 12-13-2004, 03:35 PM
Car Addict

The filter just showed up.
Old 12-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Advanced

" I do think they aid slightly in performance and/or fuel economy and that it might be measurable."

RITZ CRACKERS

Yes RITZ CRACKERS. I've found that if I keep 2 boxes of RITZ CRACKERS in my trunk it improves my 1/4 mile times, my traction in the snow, my vehicle stability and even my long term mileage and vehicle longevity. This little known RITZ CRACKER secret has been handed down through Indy race drivers for the past three generations. The secret is to position one box over each rear wheel (must be exactly over the wheels center of gravity +/- .0001mm, or no effect is produced). If you get the boxes positioned exactly right the effect may even be measurable, or maybe it won't, but you'll still know you've got better acceleration/traction/stability/mileage/and longevity, at least in your mind, and wouldn't that make you feel that much better?
Old 12-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tommyy2
" I do think they aid slightly in performance and/or fuel economy and that it might be measurable."

RITZ CRACKERS

Yes RITZ CRACKERS. I've found that if I keep 2 boxes of RITZ CRACKERS in my trunk it improves my 1/4 mile times, my traction in the snow, my vehicle stability and even my long term mileage and vehicle longevity. This little known RITZ CRACKER secret has been handed down through Indy race drivers for the past three generations. The secret is to position one box over each rear wheel (must be exactly over the wheels center of gravity +/- .0001mm, or no effect is produced). If you get the boxes positioned exactly right the effect may even be measurable, or maybe it won't, but you'll still know you've got better acceleration/traction/stability/mileage/and longevity, at least in your mind, and wouldn't that make you feel that much better?
I'm glad you agree - I'll sell you mine in 4 years when my lease is up!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Car Addict

I just wanted to add that the 4filters place just sent the filter in the kn box, with the ends taped up. The KN box had a big dent but luckily the filter was okay. I won't be buying from them again.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:56 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Originally Posted by 3PUTT
i got the filter from http://www.4filters.com/ for $38.
Thanks for the link, just bought one from them!

Quick Reply: OLD and NEW K&N OEM FILTERs <PICS>