OBX headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 02:48 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBX headers

Hi

Any thoughts on those OBX headers on eBay?
It is pcd with resonators.

Sorry can't post links.

Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:50 PM
6th Gear

Old 05-20-2019, 05:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
They will most likely crack at the seams sooner than later.

If you have a MIG welder you can keep patching them.

But I recommend RV6 PCDs. Good quality good service.

How much are they going for on EBay?
Old 05-20-2019, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=obx+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

couple threads about it in the past, have a read
The following users liked this post:
Acura TL Builder (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 07:30 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
https://www.google.com/search?q=obx+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

couple threads about it in the past, have a read
There is a lot about 2nd gen but not 3rd...
Old 05-20-2019, 07:31 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Saving4aTL
They will most likely crack at the seams sooner than later.

If you have a MIG welder you can keep patching them.

But I recommend RV6 PCDs. Good quality good service.

How much are they going for on EBay?
$214 plus shipping
Old 05-20-2019, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
I've heard that they make the sound car like crap even with the rest of the OBX system (jpipe and exhaust) bc of the way OBX makes sound echo/ping in the pre-cat delete vs Rv6.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:53 PM
Safety Car

The last thing you want is your TL sounding like Rice. Don’t go the way of the Honda boiz.

The RV6 is $450? Twice as much but you get a product that sounds good and will hold up over the years.

Do you really want to cheap out now so that you will have to dig back into the car to repair subpar performance parts?
Old 05-24-2019, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Even the RV6 pcd will make it sound like chit. Build and material quality different story, I am pretty sure the OBX ones use lower grade steel, but I do know the OBX ones don't come with the EGR hole so that may sway your decision as you will need to delete the EGR and make/buy a block off plate. Plenty of videos on youtube on PCD and most if not all with RV6 and imo all sound like crap unless you get a nice resonator(s) installed.TBH ALL RV6 parts tend to make the exhaust tone sound raspy compared to endless and atlp.

As for the comment above about OBX making the sound echoing different from RV6, complete utter BS (RV6 pcd cause a ton of rasp as well), OBX doesn't make jack chit, they do copy a ton of stuff as if you have been around the car game awhile you would know that already. The OBX is a obvious copy of the RV6 just with out the egr tube port. Just purchase some used old cats, hollow them out and bam, your own pcd for a fraction of the cost, it may not be as big diameter opening of say the competitors but still frees up some HP without the crazy rasp.
Acura TL Builder (04-16-2020)
Old 05-24-2019, 01:38 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stkh22
Even the RV6 pcd will make it sound like chit. Build and material quality different story, I am pretty sure the OBX ones use lower grade steel, but I do know the OBX ones don't come with the EGR hole so that may sway your decision as you will need to delete the EGR and make/buy a block off plate. Plenty of videos on youtube on PCD and most if not all with RV6 and imo all sound like crap unless you get a nice resonator(s) installed.TBH ALL RV6 parts tend to make the exhaust tone sound raspy compared to endless and atlp.

As for the comment above about OBX making the sound echoing different from RV6, complete utter BS (RV6 pcd cause a ton of rasp as well), OBX doesn't make jack chit, they do copy a ton of stuff as if you have been around the car game awhile you would know that already. The OBX is a obvious copy of the RV6 just with out the egr tube port. Just purchase some used old cats, hollow them out and bam, your own pcd for a fraction of the cost, it may not be as big diameter opening of say the competitors but still frees up some HP without the crazy rasp.
If ATLP made PCDs I would buy, but they don’t.

Rasp? Where? Have you owned a set or done direct comparisons? YouTube videos for exhausts are the equivalent of buttdyno for your HP gains.

That cheap OBX material belongs on a civic. Keep it off the TL.

The material will crack over time, and if it doesn’t the welds will.
As for rasp, that thin OBX steel will rattle like a tin can.
Save the headache for the Honda Boiz.

If you can’t afford quality go fast parts, buy a car with enough aftermarket support to do so.
Its like buying a used Benz for cheap only to skimp on maintaining it due to cost. Don’t be that guy on the road!

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-24-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Saving4aTL
If ATLP made PCDs I would buy, but they don’t.

Rasp? Where? Have you owned a set or done direct comparisons? YouTube videos for exhausts are the equivalent of buttdyno for your HP gains.

That cheap OBX material belongs on a civic. Keep it off the TL.

The material will crack over time, and if it doesn’t the welds will.
As for rasp, that thin OBX steel will rattle like a tin can.
Save the headache for the Honda Boiz.

If you can’t afford quality go fast parts, buy a car with enough aftermarket support to do so.
Its like buying a used Benz for cheap only to skimp on maintaining it due to cost. Don’t be that guy on the road!
You implying I am supporting OBX, I am not. I NEVER SAID to buy OBX OR DID I SUGGEST OP SHOULD. I just making the point rasp is rasp regardless of what brand u go with on pcd. Do your homework and search, show me one person who installed pcd that didn't have rasp... tons of threads on that topic which link youtube for proof. How is that for your butt dyno?

You can talk your talk like the 3rd gen TL is still a new car, reality check, its not. It Is a 10yr+ car that is basically a glorified honda accord, and is the new civic for the kids out there. I bet that civic with obx boltons still smoke your TL, have saved more money and able to buy a used ua6 for 3k and get BETTER mpg doing it. Hey, fyi have you looked around your car and inside it? omfg it is a honda! IF you have not REALIZED yet, the MAJORITY OF 3RD GEN TL OWNERS ARE KIDS NOW. So give yourself a pat on the back you are in the same crowd as those Honda bois.

You talk smack about civic is a bad thing? Doubt you be running your mouth when a civic type r lines up next you. Your bringing up all types of irrelevant comparisons. Maintaince on a vehicle is different than modifying your car. Are you one of those guys that spend $250+ on brand name intake and exhaust and think your coolest guy in the room? Same guy that claims his brand name intake makes 10hp more and is better than the ebay clone that does the same thing which is make noise.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:08 PM
Safety Car

You implying I am supporting OBX, I am not. I NEVER SAID to buy OBX OR DID I SUGGEST OP SHOULD. I just making the point rasp is rasp regardless of what brand u go with on pcd. Do your homework and search, show me one person who installed pcd that didn't have rasp... tons of threads on that topic which link youtube for proof. How is that for your butt dyno?

You can talk your talk like the 3rd gen TL is still a new car, reality check, its not. It Is a 10yr+ car that is basically a glorified honda accord, and is the new civic for the kids out there. I bet that civic with obx boltons still smoke your TL, have saved more money and able to buy a used ua6 for 3k and get BETTER mpg doing it. Hey, fyi have you looked around your car and inside it? omfg it is a honda! IF you have not REALIZED yet, the MAJORITY OF 3RD GEN TL OWNERS ARE KIDS NOW. So give yourself a pat on the back you are in the same crowd as those Honda bois.

You talk smack about civic is a bad thing? Doubt you be running your mouth when a civic type r lines up next you. Your bringing up all types of irrelevant comparisons. Maintaince on a vehicle is different than modifying your car. Are you one of those guys that spend $250+ on brand name intake and exhaust and think your coolest guy in the room? Same guy that claims his brand name intake makes 10hp more and is better than the ebay clone that does the same thing which is make noise.
I didn’t think you supported OBX.

I own RV6 PCDs and RV6 HFPCs. The HFPCs are gutted to be RV6 Precat deletes. The turbulence from the oval centers in these pipes creates turbulence which I thought would create more noise. Both 3.2l and 3.5l setups don’t rasp.

Most Honda Boiz are making garbage of their rides. There are exceptions. Fun for them as it was when I turbocharged my 1998 Civic 15 years ago. I used quality parts, though it took ages to get each one.

I don’t recommend spending $200 on a brand name intake because mechanically speaking, the low cost option will function much the same for a long time. When you begin buying critical mechanical components, the game changes.

As far as the new Civic type R, I crushed one multiple times in the 1/4 mile with a slipping clutch.

I love the 3G and encourage anyone putting modifications in them to do so with love and care for the car. It is 10+ years old and for every 3G that is not turned to garbage will be one more that the 3G community will have to cherish years after it is a classic.

I don’t do these things to be ‘cool’. The only medium I communicate on other then text/call is here. I do them to build a quality car that will last, and encourage others to do so as well. I would otherwise not bother saying these things, but for the person who respects the work they do with their hands will understand. Though it’s your car, mod it to your liking.

Last edited by Acura TL Builder; 05-24-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:56 PM
Advanced

Well most "Honda bois" are young kids that have no money to spend and want to play and fit in with the cool kids... almost everyone goes through it, the few that don't kudos to them for having the correct guidance and mindset. I just don't like that phrase and label you give certain people.. it bugs me personally as I am a Honda fan, and when I hear comments like that it upsets me as it makes it look like you are stereotyping all Honda owners as guys that do 1/2 a$$ed work and drive junk yard builds. I've seen my fair share of horrific VWs, BMWs, Subies, Toyota's and the list goes on...

I know where your coming from as back then my 93 prelude was turbo charged as well.... spent long days and nights at work to save money for the motor build, all the parts just to watch it get blown up on the dyno.

As for your HFPC converted to PCD, I was already thinking the same thing, hence why I suggested to even use used oem cats and hollow them out as those are known not to create rasp vs the PCD straight pipe design. Only issue is the bell mouth and exit are smaller than the RV6 parts. Used OEM cats can be easily sourced to close to nothing and very few that I have encountered cracked unlike most aftermarket parts.

Yes the 3rd Gen TL is a nice car, best looking one to date IMO which is why I purchased one. But as time goes by, in this era no one really cares about quality and brand. As long as it does the job and fits the budged the new owners will keep supporting these companies. Do I support the innovators yes, but certain items I honestly do see the reasoning behind it like a metal tube with a filter that guides air to the intake manifold. Items that are critical esp engine internals or specific key items that can cause massive damage I do not support low quality knock off parts. But to each their own, their money, their car, their style who AM I to say what is right or wrong for the owner? All I can say is be safe, have fun and enjoy the ride.
Acura TL Builder (05-25-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 03:03 PM
UA6MT

Received 252 Likes on 139 Posts
Have heard a TL-S with the full OBX exhaust including those resonated PCD. Sounded deep, no rasp. Can't say anything about longevity. I suggest getting RV6 PCDs and a Magnaflow resonator with it.
Acura TL Builder (05-27-2019)
Old 08-11-2019, 09:17 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They honestly sound fine, I have them installed with the J-Pipe, Highflow cat and Dyno Resonator. Sounds deep and Zero rasp. Obviously the RV6s are of better quality but mine have held up fine so far. I could just be one of the lucky ones who knows.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:11 AM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone else purchased these in the past 6 Months or so. Any other updates from those who have these ? Thanks
Old 04-16-2020, 09:09 PM
Safety Car

Well most "Honda bois" are young kids that have no money to spend and want to play and fit in with the cool kids... almost everyone goes through it, the few that don't kudos to them for having the correct guidance and mindset. I just don't like that phrase and label you give certain people.. it bugs me personally as I am a Honda fan, and when I hear comments like that it upsets me as it makes it look like you are stereotyping all Honda owners as guys that do 1/2 a$$ed work and drive junk yard builds. I've seen my fair share of horrific VWs, BMWs, Subies, Toyota's and the list goes on...

I know where your coming from as back then my 93 prelude was turbo charged as well.... spent long days and nights at work to save money for the motor build, all the parts just to watch it get blown up on the dyno.

As for your HFPC converted to PCD, I was already thinking the same thing, hence why I suggested to even use used oem cats and hollow them out as those are known not to create rasp vs the PCD straight pipe design. Only issue is the bell mouth and exit are smaller than the RV6 parts. Used OEM cats can be easily sourced to close to nothing and very few that I have encountered cracked unlike most aftermarket parts.

Yes the 3rd Gen TL is a nice car, best looking one to date IMO which is why I purchased one. But as time goes by, in this era no one really cares about quality and brand. As long as it does the job and fits the budged the new owners will keep supporting these companies. Do I support the innovators yes, but certain items I honestly do see the reasoning behind it like a metal tube with a filter that guides air to the intake manifold. Items that are critical esp engine internals or specific key items that can cause massive damage I do not support low quality knock off parts. But to each their own, their money, their car, their style who AM I to say what is right or wrong for the owner? All I can say is be safe, have fun and enjoy the ride.
Ive seen many Honda bois do good. My first car was a 98 Honda Civic that I turbocharged(and was stolen and stripped).

As for intakes, I believe EBay knockoffs will do the job.

With exhaust components, there a great temperature swings. This calls for quality metals and welds.