New turbo on my 3rd Gen Type S

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've heard of and seen videos of stock STis breaking axles at the track. Drivetrain component weakness is a moot point when you start modding any car because there are very few cars out there that are built from the factory to take the abuse of launching on slicks. It's a pay to play game, everyone who has built high horsepower cars has experienced this.

Congrats on the awesome build OP, I'm just as excited as everyone else. I would love to take the same route as you, but I've been down that road before and it turns into a money pit!! I drive a LOT for work so I can't sacrifice the extra stress on the engine and drivetrain components.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im loving this thread everyone and as far as time slips and dyno numbers go..Time slips proabably wont happen for awhile, closest track is like 3 hours away and I havent even been to it before. I plan on taking the TL down there eventually though but not to satisfy someone who can easily see it in other threads. I am going to put it on a dyno though just to see pre and post turbo comparison. I have the pre turbo dyno numbers and some times I got off of a G-force dyno ( for whatever thats REALLY worth) and yeah I thought of an evo before I did the turbo kit just because of of the evo potential but come on... I LOVE the way this car looks, rides and everything about it! thats why i bought it in the first place. In that fly by video I still had on that restictive cat back exhaust and now its opened WAY up so we gained a lot with that plus it is a lot louder... which is about the only thing that isnt sleeping on this car. and trust me, if you didnt hear the blow off valve you wouldnt know this car had a turbo unless it was passing you. I DIDNT BUY A TL TO DRAG RACE IN A CURCUIT!!! so why the hell does it matter what my 1/4 mile is? If i wanted to drag race I would had bought a muscle car....but i do LOVE wasting people that think they are fast
Old 11-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Intermediate

yeah WRXtranceformed... money pit for sure but I feel it has been worth it...but i also bought another vehicle just so i wouldnt be driving a car i have invested so much in as a daily driver.. nothing wrong with doing that though. i just couldnt take the heartbreak of watching that odometer rolling up and up and up
Old 11-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
All I know is that I'm going to pop some popcorn and hitting F5 on this thread all day.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Intermediate

haha me too. I just drove my car around town to charge up the battery.. Im going to go ahead and make a video of rev and such and see if i cant post it up somewhere. this damn thing is so loud right now.. it cracks me up.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/...t=MVI_1452.mp4

uploaded a video of a rev... didnt turn out as well as i would had hoped but you can kind of get the feel for how loud it is... anyway I will work on getting a better video later on
Old 11-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
That sound just like mine. What do you have for former-cat back setup?

I have all 3" going into two Aero Turbines.

Didn't like the rasp so I added one, then two Aero AR30 resonators. Still not satisfied so I have two Magnaflow mufflers waiting to be installed.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

haha thats just the downpipe. no cat back. rodeny has my exhaust sitting in his shop... 3" into a magnaflow resonator ( i believe he said magnaflow for the resonator) and then into greddy mufflers... kind of a long story on the exhaust, we were going to do magnaflow mufflers with quad tips to sleep it out some more but once he got them welded on it looked kind of crappy so we both decided to go another route. I havent been pushing the issue really just because I know he is busy and I havent been driving the car. Its funny how people look at it as im driving because it sounds almost like a harley :S
Old 11-19-2010, 03:55 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
very nice man...welcome to the zine!!
Old 11-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Intermediate

thanks tl-s6spd. I am loving it so far. I want to go to a meet so if anyone knows of any around wyoming let me know for sure
Old 11-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chris/type-s/turbo
haha thats just the downpipe. no cat back. rodeny has my exhaust sitting in his shop... 3" into a magnaflow resonator ( i believe he said magnaflow for the resonator) and then into greddy mufflers... kind of a long story on the exhaust, we were going to do magnaflow mufflers with quad tips to sleep it out some more but once he got them welded on it looked kind of crappy so we both decided to go another route. I havent been pushing the issue really just because I know he is busy and I havent been driving the car. Its funny how people look at it as im driving because it sounds almost like a harley :S
LOL, that is definitely not a real representation. The open exhaust sounds like a beast though, doesn't it.

I've went through a custom cat back when I was stock and it took 3 or 4 changes to get it to my liking. I invested in a mig welder and it has paid off big time for this project.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:14 PM
Intermediate

oh i bet. I really wish i would get that exhaust here so i can start making changes if i want. im so picky. im going to make another video. post it in a few min.. yes i am bored ha
Old 11-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Intermediate

http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/...t=MVI_1454.mp4
http://s1195.photobucket.com/albums/...t=MVI_1455.mp4

MUCH better videos.. now i want some feedback on these ones guys!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by chris/type-s/turbo
thanks tl-s6spd. I am loving it so far. I want to go to a meet so if anyone knows of any around wyoming let me know for sure
Great install and welcome to Azine!!! Nice to see another TypeS boosted, hopefully I will be there soon, I'm auto, so hoping to be first TL-S 5at Boosted....

I know you and Xiomaro are 6spd...anyway seen that flyby that rodney filmed of you a while back and was wondering when you were going to join Azine

in the process of getting a house with heated garage so might go the DIY route, all depending on time...I know KN did it himself and has a thread, I need to find out how long it took him to complete the install.

Man I wish I was getting this kit like tommorow, but too much going on this year with the house and all

Back on track the car sounds like a BEAST!!

If you get a chance have someone film one of your races stomping on some ""fast cars"" that think that can walk all over you.....

hmm Wyoming meet thats tough, I wonder how many members are from wyoming...You are def first one I've heard of, but then again don't go looking for wyoming ppl to meet with...would love to head that way though you guys have so much open road
Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

oh btw subscribed!!! ASM Boosted TL-S FTW!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Safety Car

I really took my time and it took me 2 weeks to install. But in reality, I won't be done until I get rid of it. I drove it, fixed some things, drove it, took it apart to add the meth injection, drove it, took it apart to mess with the exhaust, drove it, etc, etc.

If you have no wife, no kids, no animals, no house to pay attention to, you could do it in a few days. I worked on it maybe 2 hrs at a shot so it took me 1/2 that time to remember where I left off.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KN_TL
I really took my time and it took me 2 weeks to install. But in reality, I won't be done until I get rid of it. I drove it, fixed some things, drove it, took it apart to add the meth injection, drove it, took it apart to mess with the exhaust, drove it, etc, etc.

If you have no wife, no kids, no animals, no house to pay attention to, you could do it in a few days. I worked on it maybe 2 hrs at a shot so it took me 1/2 that time to remember where I left off.
Thanks for the info...Just a wife and soon a house, but which will be nice since I'll have a heated garage, so hopefully it won't be 2weeks. If I can get everything in a weeks time then I'll be happy, even if I have to finish small things or fix something later is fine, as long as I get it up and running in a week would be good...nway before all this is taken to consideration the FUNDS need to be put aside and that hasnt really happened yet sooo no bueno for me
Old 11-21-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
I dunno about you guys, but i absolutely dont like the sound when our TL's rev without any load.
it would be cool to see some vids in car on the streets with some nasty pulls!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It would be cool to know if the OP is running an air filter on the turbo?
Old 11-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

no filter on the turbo. i actually spent some time today thinking of a good way to fit a filter in there so I will hopefully have something figured out by the spring. if i get a good setup I will make them for anyone who wants one. also i will get some good videos up of loaded runs and fly bys in the spring or maybe if the weather warms up enough to do it in the next few months. i will keep everyone posted
Old 11-26-2010, 01:00 AM
AM To WDP In My Garage

Received 102 Likes on 97 Posts
Man this thread is full of win... congrats on the turbo tl-s it's pure
Old 11-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Safety Car

I think I am the only one running a filter but I also haven't been to a dyno to get it fine tuned. But for day to day drivability and getting into boost, it's been good. It took me about 10 iterations of attempts and 3 different filters to achieve this.

I have a different set of manifold piping than Chris, I think he is the first to get the new design.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
A filter is a must, guys. What you're going to notice over time is a dulling of the compressor wheel which will result in hotter charge air temps. Probably won't put a dent in performance due to the efficient intercooler but still not something you want to happen.

All it will take is the tiniest dirt particle to hit the comressor wheel when it's spinning 80,000rpm and it will come apart in a big way. You will see more cylinder and ring wear over time too. The air filter is the most important filter on the car, more important than the oil filter.

You can get away with it for a while but sooner or later it's going to bite you in the ass.

If the filter is sized correctly, there's absolutely no performance loss. I used a 9" K&N into the high 10s and didn't have to upgrade to a 14" filter until I started making "9 second" power. A 9" cone should be more than enough but it won't hurt a thing to do a 14" filter. In fact, it would probably require less frequent cleaning than a 9" assuming you can fit it.

Just make sure to feed the turbo with no less than 4" piping.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Safety Car

^ This was my guide while I was doing mine!
Old 11-26-2010, 04:09 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Im running a 5 inch cone filter bolted right onto the turbo inlet. No loss in performance at all. Its a Spectre filter

In fact, my dyno last week making 408whp was with the filter on the turbo. I forgot to take it off for one of the runs to see if there was a noticable difference.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:13 PM
18psi

Also, when I did my last blackstone oil analysis, IHC mentioned there was one section of the report that showed a little excess of dirt in the oil. I was not running a filter for the first 2 months after the turbo install which likely caused that problem
Old 11-26-2010, 05:12 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
I'm also running a filter now. I got one from summit racing and no noticable power loss over no filter. It was K&N and cheap and fits just right. I am also connected straight to the turbo.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:30 PM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
The sound when the rev's come down is bad ass.
Now ready to see some tire, like in Hi speed's avatar.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:03 AM
8th Gear

Puting in a turbo is sick, but if you just did that, i agree that you need to upgrade other parts in the engine as well because the parts are not made with withstand the extra power and the extra wear and tear you put in it. I would love to see some dyno stats on it! how come you went on the turbo instead of the supercharger? how much did the turbo cost?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,201 Likes on 689 Posts
Originally Posted by bballmasta511
Puting in a turbo is sick, but if you just did that, i agree that you need to upgrade other parts in the engine as well because the parts are not made with withstand the extra power and the extra wear and tear you put in it. I would love to see some dyno stats on it! how come you went on the turbo instead of the supercharger? how much did the turbo cost?
As far as I've seen, the turbo is just a tad bit more than the supercharger & puts out much better gains.

The S/C is nice no doubt, but the power you get for the money isn't quite there, imo.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Safety Car

Libert69 has posted dyno pulls.

The need for engine internals depends on how crazy you want to go. Libert69 found that limit and he's in the process of building a monster.

I chose a turbo because it had at the beginnings of tuning where the SC wasn't as good. If the J&R ECU had been out first, I'm not sure what I would do since a used SC is much less.

In the end, I am glad I went turbo.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
You're about 2 years late to the turbo and supercharger debate. It's been covered in great detail.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I'm surprised you guys even responded.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Old 03-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Advanced

Very nice!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Advanced

we get some official dyno numbers yet?
Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Probably blew. People who don't update must've been a fail attempt. Then again, what do we know.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
^^^from your post in ecu thread and I can see you don't know ......customer had a few priorities new baby and house so car was traded in ..
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 04:54 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by bouncer07
Probably blew. People who don't update must've been a fail attempt. Then again, what do we know.
hi hater
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-25-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

traded oh man thats too bad, hopefully the next person who got it knows about acurazine and gives us some type of update....and yess this turbo is still on my list, but unfortunately the funds are not where they need to be just yet!

Quick Reply: New turbo on my 3rd Gen Type S