New turbo on my 3rd Gen Type S

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
WOW.... is that white kid in the pic yours...?Tough crowd...but OP is handling it well.

Best of luck on your Boosting adventures!!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
chris/type-s/turbo are you running an air filter?
Old 11-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Come'on guys. Please ease up on the newbie initiation ritual.

We do not know if Chris is familiar with how forums operate (cough... need thick skin). Please don't chase him away. We need him.

And please ease up on his child in the pics. I see nothing wrong with that. He has a handsome looking young boy. And I say Kudos for having his child around to learn about cars.

Last edited by Inaccurate; 11-17-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^+1
Old 11-17-2010, 03:35 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by solarevo
you might be able to keep up with most stock sports cars now

also stop bench racing and provide facts

dyno #s and track times before you start guessing

you cant slap a D.I.Y turbo kit and expect things to last or have big hp numbers or track times

your stock axles/pistons/rods/ etc etc is not built to hold boost, its a high compression motor to begin with never the best for boosted applications

the massive intercooler also is way over kill im guessing your around 7 psi ?

also still have the fact of FWD there is no way around it, you will never get any decent times off the stock street tires, add slick's and expect to start breaking things

best bet would be to start with a better platform already turbo and built for it and either RWD or AWD , corvettes, svt cobra's, evo's sti's etc etc

but kudos for trying to be diffrent, best of luck

cant waite to see the results
this kit is hardly a diy kit that's "slapped together" extensive research has been done to provide the best margin of safety and drivability for this application. members had accumulated over 30k miles on this setup together and none have blown and engine. one member is running at 10psi.

the intercooler is far from overkill, it's just not the bare minimum and it allows room for growth.

see the turbo thread and have yourself a good read.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha well like i was saying earlier the only reason i left the pictures of my son was because i just did a select all option to upload those pics and didnt feel like going and cutting them out and anyway he is about the coolest person anybody will ever meet and no i dont have an air filter but i have plans to just put a screen on it when i start driving it again. as for tires im running INVO's and they have plenty of grip. no complaints there really and right now my tune is at 8.6 (most of the time i get that much...some times more sometimes less)
Old 11-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Intermediate

yes phee, this kit was well designed and for DAILY driving and it has been tested for some time with even higher boost than what i am running and there hasnt been any problems.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:43 PM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
NICE! welcome to the boards!
Old 11-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Intermediate

oh and for anyone wondering why you see a black guy in the pics and a white kid...... black guy= rodney brown i.e. NOT ME white kid=aiden MY KID LMAO
Old 11-17-2010, 03:44 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Old 11-17-2010, 03:46 PM
Former Whyner

Originally Posted by chris/type-s/turbo
oh and for anyone wondering why you see a black guy in the pics and a white kid...... black guy= rodney brown i.e. NOT ME white kid=aiden MY KID LMAO
You dont have to explain yourself on that. Some are just wondering why it matters in the first place.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

ohhh haha
Old 11-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Come'on guys. Please ease up on the newbie initiation ritual.

We do not know if Chris is familiar with how forums operate (cough... need thick skin). Please don't chase him away. We need him.

And please ease up on his child in the pics. I see nothing wrong with that. He has a handsome looking young boy. And I say Kudos for having his child around to learn about cars.
Especially This.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts

you cant slap a D.I.Y turbo kit and expect things to last or have big hp numbers or track times

your stock axles/pistons/rods/ etc etc is not built to hold boost, its a high compression motor to begin with never the best for boosted applications

also still have the fact of FWD there is no way around it, you will never get any decent times off the stock street tires, add slick's and expect to start breaking things

best bet would be to start with a better platform already turbo and built for it and either RWD or AWD , corvettes, svt cobra's, evo's sti's etc etc

There's a huge thread discussing all of this and for the few who decided to go this route, knew full well that it wasn't going to be easy.

I for one wanted to see just what could be done while driving what to me is the best looking body style around. Granted it's FWD but if I wanted a vette, mustang, subbie or evo, I would have bought it instead. This still could be in my future but I will probably keep this around by selling it to my son.

All the kudo's go to Rodney and his crew for sticking to this. We all waited patiently to get a good kit OOTB and it's offensive to call it slapped together.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:31 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts

Before posting BS like this doing some research would be good. 400 WHP and stock sports cars? Are you kidding? Hi compression may not lend itself to hi boost but the power is there and the lag is not. Point being take a ride in a boosted TL before posting ignorant BS.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you need to trade your used TL back for that awesome evo of yours. Or just try to be more positive on these forums. Since day one you have been a douche.

anyways OP good stuff, but obviously you need to be more prepared with a topic like this

Last edited by Slooo97CL; 11-17-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Boost Crew FTW!!!!
Nice ride.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Nice turbo S, really hope to see some vids (VrooommPshhhh!!). Oh, and cute kid.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi speed
Before posting BS like this doing some research would be good. 400 WHP and stock sports cars? Are you kidding? Hi compression may not lend itself to hi boost but the power is there and the lag is not. Point being take a ride in a boosted TL before posting ignorant BS.
agree
Old 11-18-2010, 08:22 AM
Cruisin'

i will keep my common sense post to myself,

i will be looking forward to the time slips and dyno numbers
Old 11-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
^ We would all appreciate that.

And if you had been paying attention, he won't have anything until spring since he is in Wyoming and stores the vehicle for the winter.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Thats is a bad ass setup, I was playing with the idea of going turbo on my TL this winter, i could build quite the setup for what the s/c costs! I would put my turbo the same way you did but looks hard to run any type of air filter!
Nice work!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Former Whyner

Ill take a REV and BOV vid from his garage
Old 11-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
welcome to Azine.
rules:
1.listen to Ron A and fear him
1.inaccurate is usually accurate
1. I Hate Cars loves cars and knows what he is talking about
1.Opel: see rule number 1
1.intakes gain you 5 hp max on a cold day
1.use the search button
1. pics or it didn't happen
1. ignore ssftsx
1. whiskers
1. fear Ron A
You forgot 1. buy all parts from MrHeeltoe and Excelerate (but mostly Heeltoe )

This sounds totally awsome...turbo TL-S...
Old 11-18-2010, 11:10 AM
I got the Shifts

welcome to Azine.
rules:
1.use the search button
1. ignore ssftsx
1. whiskers
1. fear Ron A
1. buy all parts from forum sponsors
Old 11-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Advanced

Welcome aboard.. Very nice turbo job
Old 11-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Whoah, I thought I was jackass, you guys are taking it too the next level :x
Old 11-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
our first turbo'd typeS?

welcome!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Former Whyner

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
our SECOND turbo'd typeS?

welcome!!!
Fixed. Member name: Xiomaro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wq_Adk77uY

Last edited by RonJonTL757; 11-18-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:15 PM
I got the Shifts

xiomaro was the test car. don't think he still has the kit
Old 11-18-2010, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Your modded EVO went 12.5@107mph. If the turbo TL is too slow, your EVO is a slug. Mid 12s would get embarassed in this town.
Facts are provided in the turbo thread.
Already done.
It's a turbo KIT that you install yourself, if that's a DIY kit, that's fine. It has been thoroughly tested at well over 400whp. The components are top notch. Money can not buy better components. PTE GT61 boosted series turbo, Tial wastegate, HKS BOV, PTE bar/plate IC, etc. This thing is far from slapped together.
High compression is fine as long as it doesn't detonate. Axles are completely traction dependent. The turbo car can't put more stress on the axles than a stock TL does on street tire. Internals are dependent on a good tune.
Boost level is irrelevent. Higher boost produces more heat but so does more airflow which the TL flows a lot of air stock. As long as pressure drop is acceptable, there's no such thing as too much intercooler. The intercooler is a dual pass design. These are typically very efficient but require more physical space in order to attain the airflow required without pressure drop.
I agree with that but I don't think anyone is trying to break a drag racing record. 150hp extra will make the car much more fun to drive.
Agreed. The TL is far from the ideal platform but personally I like the sleeper thing.

Me too.
The following users liked this post:
vic06b (09-01-2011)
Old 11-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Former Whyner

^mass OWNAGE
Old 11-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Cruisin'

Your modded EVO went 12.5@107mph. If the turbo TL is too slow, your EVO is a slug. Mid 12s would get embarassed in this town.

no where did i ever mention anything abought my old evo, and i agree 12s is nothing to brag abought these days,

Facts are provided in the turbo thread.

Already done.

It's a turbo KIT that you install yourself, if that's a DIY kit, that's fine. It has been thoroughly tested at well over 400whp. The components are top notch. Money can not buy better components. PTE GT61 boosted series turbo, Tial wastegate, HKS BOV, PTE bar/plate IC, etc. This thing is far from slapped together.

the componets may be top notch but reliability is a major question, its a slapped together set up with high end parts

High compression is fine as long as it doesn't detonate. Axles are completely traction dependent. The turbo car can't put more stress on the axles than a stock TL does on street tire. Internals are dependent on a good tune.

your completly wrong but thats a matter of opinion, adding your estimated 150 hp puts major undue stress on axles and transmsion parts. one good launch on slicks they snap like twigs

Boost level is irrelevent. Higher boost produces more heat but so does more airflow which the TL flows a lot of air stock. As long as pressure drop is acceptable, there's no such thing as too much intercooler. The intercooler is a dual pass design. These are typically very efficient but require more physical space in order to attain the airflow required without pressure drop.

there is a such thing as too much intercooler and pressure drops, having that massive interccoler is "hey look at me im fast and have a huge intercooler " on a car running 7-10 psi "there goes your sleeper look"

I agree with that but I don't think anyone is trying to break a drag racing record. 150hp extra will make the car much more fun to drive.

your guessing 150 hp again "bench racing" it will be more fun to drive but FWD traction will be a major issue,

Agreed. The TL is far from the ideal platform but personally I like the sleeper thing.

Me too.

lets stop talking like 18 year olds and enough bench racing,

lets look foward to Chris's dyno sheets and track times and see if this heavily modified tl will put some good numbers down.

right now every thing is a guessing game

Old 11-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
no where did i ever mention anything abought my old evo, and i agree 12s is nothing to brag abought these days,
So I could say that you had to mod your EVO just to keep up with today's sports cars just as you said about the TL....

the componets may be top notch but reliability is a major question, its a slapped together set up with high end parts

WTF? How do you figure it's a "slapped together kit"? It's time you do some reading on this turbo kit and stop being ignorant.

your completly wrong but thats a matter of opinion, adding your estimated 150 hp puts major undue stress on axles and transmsion parts. one good launch on slicks they snap like twigs
It is not an opinion. Explain to me how even 1,000hp will put more stress on the axles than stock when the tires are the limiting factor on both setups? Now you're bringing slicks into it. The stock setup could likely break the axles on slicks too. However, this has never happened on a turbo TL so who's the one with an opinion.

there is a such thing as too much intercooler and pressure drops, having that massive interccoler is "hey look at me im fast and have a huge intercooler " on a car running 7-10 psi "there goes your sleeper look"
Like I said, there's no such thing as too much intercooler as long as you don't have too much pressure drop which I said in the last post. And once again, boost level is only one factor in determining your intercooler needs. You ignore the fact that it's a dual pass intercooler. If you have any understanding of turbo systems, you would get it. You have a very narrow understanding of turbos. BTW, you can't see the intercooler so the sleeper look is still in tact.

your guessing 150 hp again "bench racing" it will be more fun to drive but FWD traction will be a major issue,
Open your eyes. It's been dyno proven already.

lets stop talking like 18 year olds and enough bench racing,

lets look foward to Chris's dyno sheets and track times and see if this heavily modified tl will put some good numbers down.

right now every thing is a guessing game
Again, do some reading on all of the turbo dynos to save yourself some embarassment. You're about a year late into this game.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
welcome to Azine.
rules:
1.use the search button
1. ignore ssftsx
1. whiskers
1. fear Ron A

I love this pic..

Solarevo.. eat before you talk son!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:13 PM
Instructor

haha ^.... thats some cool @#$! right there!!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:29 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
badass!!!!!!!! can't wait to see some numbers and how fast this baby goes. Take it out on the highway and do some pulls
Old 11-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
chris thanks for sharing the adventure with our acuazine family greatly appreciated...

kn i havent forget you a bit ill send a new tune that you can try out as weather breaks for you..

hopefully we will have another interesting thread as were going to push the limits of a jseries motor and there components ,we already know the limits of the oem pistons ,next is the rods but ill start a thread for that for now im loving chris new thread ..

ihc ,phee ,inaccurate always glad to have you in the threads..
Old 11-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iupJv9bgnoo

this was one of chris pulls i posted in turbo thread a few months back ...
Old 11-19-2010, 09:01 AM
I got the Shifts

Originally Posted by I hate cars
It is not an opinion. Explain to me how even 1,000hp will put more stress on the axles than stock when the tires are the limiting factor on both setups? Now you're bringing slicks into it. The stock setup could likely break the axles on slicks too. However, this has never happened on a turbo TL so who's the one with an opinion.

i proved this last week and i wasnt even on slicks

Quick Reply: New turbo on my 3rd Gen Type S