New 3G 04 Tl

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:36 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 3G 04 Tl

*EDITED BY ADMIN*, I just bought a 04 Tl w 170 on the dash and a brand new tranny w alil less that 10,000 on it already. I just wanted to know what I could do to my car first to make sure it'll run pass 250xxx no problem. I'm all ears. And after you list the things I need to do to keep it performing well pass the miles stated... can I have another list of modifications I should do after?

So far.. I've only done tints and a new set of headlights

passed inspection w a breeze.

so please in this order , help a fellow brother out

Performance enhancements Mods

1. 1
2. 2
3. 3
4. 4.
Could be well over 4 references, the more the merrier!

Old 05-12-2018, 10:24 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow three words in and I wanna kill myself. Great use of inappropriate language....You want performance mods or longevity?

Longevity is simple, use the proper fluids and follow the maintenance schedule.

Not much performance out there for 3G TL but there are 19 million threads on it. You won't see massive gain without induction in an 04 TL Auto.

- J-Pipe
- Catback Exhaust
- Cold Air Intake
- Pulley/Flywheel
- High Flow Cats
- Sway Bars
- Pre-cat delete

Last edited by jaydubz; 05-12-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by jaydubz
Wow three words in and I wanna kill myself. Great use of inappropriate language....
Let's not kill ourselves. Instead, give the new member a break and let him know that what he said is considered offensive in this forum so I have removed the ojectionable part of his post.

And welcome him to the forum.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
How much money you got?
Old 05-12-2018, 03:50 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Maybe a better question is, how many dollars per horsepower are you willing to spend? With this car you won't get much.

If you search the forum you'll see lots and LOTS of folks asking the same thing you asked; the most common answer is to spend your money on maintenance first; until the car is fully up to date on all maintenance you shouldn't even think about spending a dime on performance. Another pearl of wisdom you'll see over and over again in this forum is you will get very little for your performance dollar; if you want a car more suited for building, sell your TL and buy something which came from the factory with forced induction.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:07 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Ron A
Let's not kill ourselves. Instead, give the new member a break and let him know that what he said is considered offensive in this forum so I have removed the ojectionable part of his post.

And welcome him to the forum.

thank you for your consideration homie,
didnt know there we some sensitivity precautions

warm welcoming 😎
Old 05-15-2018, 08:09 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Maybe a better question is, how many dollars per horsepower are you willing to spend? With this car you won't get much.

If you search the forum you'll see lots and LOTS of folks asking the same thing you asked; the most common answer is to spend your money on maintenance first; until the car is fully up to date on all maintenance you shouldn't even think about spending a dime on performance. Another pearl of wisdom you'll see over and over again in this forum is you will get very little for your performance dollar; if you want a car more suited for building, sell your TL and buy something which came from the factory with forced induction.
so focus on all the fluids first your telling me?
Transmission, brakes, oil, windows.. let me know if I’m missing any.

and not to get too caught up in perfomance? I just want a stronger acceleration kick really.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:11 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jaydubz
Wow three words in and I wanna kill myself. Great use of inappropriate language....You want performance mods or longevity?

Longevity is simple, use the proper fluids and follow the maintenance schedule.

Not much performance out there for 3G TL but there are 19 million threads on it. You won't see massive gain without induction in an 04 TL Auto.

- J-Pipe
- Catback Exhaust
- Cold Air Intake
- Pulley/Flywheel
- High Flow Cats
- Sway Bars
- Pre-cat delete
my fault for the language boss, product of my environment.. ain’t that serious over here although thanks for taking the time to respond w your enthusiast wisdom.

j pipe and cat back won’t cause any issues down the road?
But yes you’re right im mainly focused on the longevity.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 992 Likes on 748 Posts
Check LCA bushings, motor mounts, end links, ball joints, tie rod ends. Religiously change the oil every 5k miles, Trans fluid every 15k miles, Pads/Rotors when needed. Intake filter, cabin filter, wiper blades yearly. Timing belt / water pump @ 200K or now if it has never been done (this will set you back $800-$1200). Change out the PCV right away for piece of mind (most likely has never been changed).

In an 04 auto you won't get much "kick". Save your money on mods and buy a different car to mod. Drive the wheels off this one instead.

Tints
Old 05-15-2018, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 127 Posts
^All of this. But once your maintenance is up to point I think you'd be happy with a j-pipe and exhaust and no these things will not hurt anything. It will give you better performance and possibly gas mileage.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 90foxnotch
^All of this. But once your maintenance is up to point I think you'd be happy with a j-pipe and exhaust and no these things will not hurt anything. It will give you better performance and possibly gas mileage.
Would have a negative effect on gas mileage from flooring it all the time!
Old 05-15-2018, 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by BreezyTL
Would have a negative effect on gas mileage from flooring it all the time!
Hahahaha very true!!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:09 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by BreezyTL
Check LCA bushings, motor mounts, end links, ball joints, tie rod ends. Religiously change the oil every 5k miles, Trans fluid every 15k miles, Pads/Rotors when needed. Intake filter, cabin filter, wiper blades yearly. Timing belt / water pump @ 200K or now if it has never been done (this will set you back $800-$1200). Change out the PCV right away for piece of mind (most likely has never been changed).

In an 04 auto you won't get much "kick". Save your money on mods and buy a different car to mod. Drive the wheels off this one instead.

Tints
did I do a bad job w the tints?

on a more serious note, should I diagnose the LCA bushings, Motor Mounts, end links and ball joints myself or take to a mechanic for an approval? The previous owner said he doesn’t know of any timing belt service, should I jus go in and buy a new one or leave as is? Homeboy told me mine felt pretty new.

thanks for the support, trying to drive this thing till it dies on me. Feel like it has lots of life left but jus needs alil tlc.

could use all the advice needed
Old 05-17-2018, 02:50 PM
Safety Car

I can't stand the word tints that all. Sorry just one of my annoyances.

No offense but are you mechanically inclined and have knowledge for working on car? If so, you are in better shape than most otherwise if you take it to the dealer or mechanic bring some lube when they charge you for parts/labor. Unless you know a buddy. If you can inspect it yourself, I would do that to save you a lot of money. Look for cracks in the rubber or loose parts/connections. Timing belt / water pump should be serviced if there is no history for piece of mind. If that snaps your motor will most likely be shot. The belt you see on the passenger side is the serpentine belt which is different from the timing belt. The timing belt is under a couple covers and the job costs $800-$1200 and is pretty labor intensive. I would suggest not trying it if you don't know the car well.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:44 PM
3rd Gear

You look to be in the same boat I was in! I personally love the body style of my 07 Type S CBP and i'm fine with it not making much power but simple mods like mentioned before can make the car even more fun to daily.

1. RV6 Jpipe is a go to
2. ATLP or Endless exhaust are always a good way to make the car more enjoyable to drive.
3. 3.7 Intake manifold and TB
4. Suspension upgrades.

All in all, the TL will never be a 10 second car N/A but the 3rd gen is definitely a head turner and exciting to drive when done right.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:35 AM
10th Gear

J pipe n fatback won’t be too loud? I live in Boston n I’m not trying to get pulled over every 5
Old 06-03-2018, 10:04 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
1. make acurazine account
2. search the plethora of existing posts and suggestions and threads on various topics such as "maintenance" and "modification suggestions"
3. profit and share with others!