My Supercharger Build thread. Experts needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:37 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
My Supercharger Build thread. Experts needed.

As most of you guys know I bought a brand new kit from Pizzaman! Great guy btw. He's kit doesn't come with the comptech ACM but it does come with the AEM FIC with PNP harness. Most of you guys are like "Damn that's awesome". So this is my build thread. I have spoken to a lot of members here through PM or on the phone (Alex Imfamouslink). I have a ton of questions and most have been very helpful, and I will openly admit it.. I'm going to be a bit cheap now, after spending $$$$.

-I'm not looking to track this car, this is my daily driver
-The purpose like most who get this kit, pleasure knowing you have a supercahrger!
-I have a few supporting modification, exhaust work (J-pipe, comptech exhaust) I have the TB coolant bypass to help keep unwanted hot temps away from the intake manifold.
-I plan on doing a custom 3 inch CAI to help with cooling the charged air.

I have the AEM.. Here's the deal.. I understand about the surge problem, most have fixed it by doing upgraded exhaust work (Pre-cats, j-pipe, exhaust) I don't like the way the car sounds with Pre-cats. AEM requires a tune, Ive called placed in NJ and basically got nothing... Many don't want to deal with jap vehicles and the AEM unit. Required to upgrade at least injectors and fuel pump with tune = $$$.

My questions for those that have done this

-ACM hooked up, can I upgrade the fuel pump without crushing FPR? is that a better solution and one step to helping with surge?

-What's the bare min I need for the AEM to function other than a tune. Example (Injectors RSX-S)-(Fuel pump upgrade?)-(Exhaust work?)

-For those that still running the ACM unit, what steps have you taken to resolve some surge issues?

-Wiring up the AEM vs ACM. I know I have the PNP harness but most were telling me I might need another harness for Vtec to be lowered if not that then a relay with a half ass made harness.. Any input on this is appreciated.

-I had hi-speed help me with the CAI intake. For those that have done this, what intake setup did you use? I was told 98 Accord 4 cylinder works with a 90 degree elbow.

Addition things that will be done is clutch and flywheel. I was told the light flywheel will cause chatter and vibrations. I don't want this car to feel like a POS half ass civic. I was also told the stock clutch can handle the power out put perfect for a daily driver. Thank you guys I'm sorry if my questions sound stupid but trying to get an idea of what to do before I order things.
The following users liked this post:
P1zzaman (09-22-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
As most of you guys know I bought a brand new kit from Pizzaman! Great guy btw. He's kit doesn't come with the comptech ACM but it does come with the AEM FIC with PNP harness. Most of you guys are like "Damn that's awesome". So this is my build thread. I have spoken to a lot of members here through PM or on the phone (Alex Imfamouslink). I have a ton of questions and most have been very helpful, and I will openly admit it.. I'm going to be a bit cheap now, after spending $$$$.

-I'm not looking to track this car, this is my daily driver
-The purpose like most who get this kit, pleasure knowing you have a supercahrger!
-I have a few supporting modification, exhaust work (J-pipe, comptech exhaust) I have the TB coolant bypass to help keep unwanted hot temps away from the intake manifold.
-I plan on doing a custom 3 inch CAI to help with cooling the charged air.

I have the AEM.. Here's the deal.. I understand about the surge problem, most have fixed it by doing upgraded exhaust work (Pre-cats, j-pipe, exhaust) I don't like the way the car sounds with Pre-cats. AEM requires a tune, Ive called placed in NJ and basically got nothing... Many don't want to deal with jap vehicles and the AEM unit. Required to upgrade at least injectors and fuel pump with tune = $$$.
My questions for those that have done this

-ACM hooked up, can I upgrade the fuel pump without crushing FPR? is that a better solution and one step to helping with surge?
Yes but not needed. I'm doublechecking my fuel pressure tomorrow after I upgraded my pump the Aeromotive 340lph. with a crushed FPR, i was reading 82, yesterday i installed my stock on and it still read 70... i will let you know tomorrow if its my gauge or if the pump is on another level of WTF... But i dont think that has anything to do with surging.. fuel injectors gonna push out the same amount no matter what.. maybe the rdx (410cc) injectors will do a better job for the surging

-What's the bare min I need for the AEM to function other than a tune. Example (Injectors RSX-S)-(Fuel pump upgrade?)-(Exhaust work?)
I know you said you dont want any gauges in your setup so 02 gauge is out of the quesiton lol. You dont need anything for a tune, just a finished car, ie sc installed with all the aftermarket parts you already have... any change to the setup and the tune will need a small tweek.

-For those that still running the ACM unit, what steps have you taken to resolve some surge issues?
cant answer this one...

-Wiring up the AEM vs ACM. I know I have the PNP harness but most were telling me I might need another harness for Vtec to be lowered if not that then a relay with a half ass made harness.. Any input on this is appreciated.
ACM is minimal wiring- AEM with PNP harness is more difficult. the PNP harness is not made for the TL and must be modified iirc... V6 p has alot of answers on this as well since Paul does it

-I had hi-speed help me with the CAI intake. For those that have done this, what intake setup did you use? I was told 98 Accord 4 cylinder works with a 90 degree elbow.
sounds about right.

Addition things that will be done is clutch and flywheel. I was told the light flywheel will cause chatter and vibrations. I don't want this car to feel like a POS half ass civic. I was also told the stock clutch can handle the power out put perfect for a daily driver. Thank you guys I'm sorry if my questions sound stupid but trying to get an idea of what to do before I order things.
Stock will be just fine. i wouldn't recommend upgrading to cm stage 3 for a dd, and a stage 1 is like stock but twice the cost.. you can just replace your pp and clutch since i know your flywheel will probably be clean cuz you baby your car lol
Old 09-23-2012, 03:36 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Thanks Alex, There's just been a bunch of information Ive been getting from helpful members here. I was told I don't need to do anything except tune the AEM to the car (No upgrades to fuel, exhaust, ect) Nobody answered my question about, without the ACM unit how can I run this car to get the AEM tuned? At this point with very little options of who to tune my car and not fuck up on the wiring I might end up forking the money for a new ACM from comptech. I wish that they updated the software on the ACM to fix the surge problems. Like I said this is my daily, if eric is still running with the comptech setup as is for so many miles I don't see why my car will be worse off..
Old 09-23-2012, 08:28 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
You can't run it without the ACM. I am suprised no one wants to trade their ACM for the Fic with harness. I guess sell the Fic and harness to get back the money spent on the ACM. I can't believe Comptech wants soo much for the ACM.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Yeah it's a lot of money. I'm sure ill find someone who wants it. thanks for your answer.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Nobody answered my question about, without the ACM unit how can I run this car to get the AEM tuned?
There's a bypass valve on the front of the blower. If I remember correctly, it's a small-ish pulley with a vacuum activator attached to it. When the car is off its closed. All you need to do is get a couple of large, heavy-duty zip-ties, hold the valve open with your hand and configure the zip-ties so that you can lock it open. That way, you'll create no boost on your way to the tuning shop. It'll let you get it to and on the dyno. Just clip the zip-tie once you get there and you'll be good.

Just FYI, the F/IC takes the place of the ACM. You don't run it at the same time or anything.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Pro

Also, the F/IC is MUCH easier to tune than say the MS3 which means that it's considerably cheaper to tune. It's silly to consider getting rid of the better fuel management setup and go with the more primitive one. I don't understand the logic behind going that route.

The ACM is the primary issue behind the S/C surging. Whatever Comptech did in the tune, they F'd up big time. With the F/IC, my surging was almost completely eliminated.

There are a number of guys here with experience wiring up the F/IC. Just reach out to KN_TL, NVA-AV6, or myself. We can do the wiring. Hell, any of us can probably even set you up with a base map that will help you just get to the dyno in order to get a full tune on the car.

Regarding your fueling, do not, I repeat, DO NOT cheap out on your fueling. Just pick up a set of RDX injectors (~$250) and hold off on crushing the FPR. The problem with crushing the FPR is that you don't know exactly what your fueling parameters are. Is it 50 p.s.i., is it 65? Nobody really knows.

If it turns out that your pump can't keep up with the RDX injectors, THEN consider crushing the FPR. Really, it's one of the most ugly, half-assed, hack-ish things you can do when you have a fairly serious F/I setup, and is the most likely to cause you (and your engine) problems down the road.
The following users liked this post:
04WDPSeDaN (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Superstressed

Received 86 Likes on 84 Posts
@ 04WDPSeDaN, as I mentioned, I am running the FI/c and have 0 surging; with the ACM the surging was bad. My car is Automatic so I don't know if that would have any affect (good or bad) with surging. Also, as bmeyer said, get yourself a set of RDX 410cc injectors and pigtails. I bought them from this place http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...ducts_id=12162

@ bmeyer, is there some way to pm or reach you via text? I had a few questions about the SC and was told you're the man to ask, if you don't mind. Sorry 04WDPSeDaN, don't mean to jack your thread.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
Gus, I was gonna run my sc on bypass (ziptied open) for a while before the tune. That's the least of your worries... post pics of everything you got while we're here.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Pro

@TLove It! Sorry, I just don't have time to keep up with PM's so I had to just turn them off. Do you have a thread that I can respond to?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:57 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Thank you guys, bmeyer can you set me up with a base map for aem. Thank you.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Superstressed

Received 86 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by bmeyer
@TLove It! Sorry, I just don't have time to keep up with PM's so I had to just turn them off. Do you have a thread that I can respond to?
I'll see if I can find and resurrect my SC thread tomorrow lol.
Thanks
Old 09-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Pro

Thank you guys, bmeyer can you set me up with a base map for aem. Thank you.
The implication was that if you were to come to one of us, looking to get some work done, then we would possibly get something to you that would work - temporarily.

The problem is that all of us tuned guys get people asking us ALL the time for maps for their cars; we never just hand them out. First, we paid decent money to get our cars tuned; we're not really wanting to just give that out for free. Second, everybody's car has a different setup. You cannot just drop one person't tune in another car and expect it to work. Third, we don't mind helping guys out, but we've all been around the scene long enough to know when people just intend to take the map and never get an actual tune for their cars. It just creates more problems for us because then it obligates us to help them out when s**t's broken. (AND IT WILL BE BROKEN BECAUSE THE TUNE WAS NOT MADE SPECIFICALLY FOR THEIR CAR) We don't want that. It's a prime example why I don't have PM's enabled.

Really though with the S/C, you can just zip-tie the bypass valve and get it to the tuner. Since it's a piggy-back ECU, you still get all of the factory fueling and timing, thus there's no need for a base map just to get it to the shop. Even with the RDX injectors, the F/IC is setup so that you can enter in the factory injector size and your new injector size so that you can drive the car without an actual fuel map loaded and it'll be fine.

Last edited by bmeyer; 09-23-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Thanks Alex, There's just been a bunch of information Ive been getting from helpful members here. I was told I don't need to do anything except tune the AEM to the car (No upgrades to fuel, exhaust, ect) Nobody answered my question about, without the ACM unit how can I run this car to get the AEM tuned? At this point with very little options of who to tune my car and not fuck up on the wiring I might end up forking the money for a new ACM from comptech. I wish that they updated the software on the ACM to fix the surge problems. Like I said this is my daily, if eric is still running with the comptech setup as is for so many miles I don't see why my car will be worse off..
Paul and Rodney have both successfully wired up harnesses for the F/IC that are simple plug and go. I am also pretty sure that Paul would have a base tune that would get you to a tuner.

With regard to gauges, even though you don't want any visible gauges, it is still a good idea to run a wideband controller. You can get them without gauges and it will provide feedback to the F/IC.

@bmeyer, do you want me to handle the map request?

Last edited by KN_TL; 09-24-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
@04: follow what the guys said and zip tie the bypass valve open. I too had to temporarily do the same.(try not to hit 4 k rpm in this stage) Send paul the fic harness so he may modify it and it be PNP. DO NOT go back to the acm, its not going to do you any justice. Do not use any ones base map either. wait it out until you can get the rdx injectors as well. I believe your in the tri state? winter is coming up soon, it may be more beneficial for you to wait it out through the winter, gather the right supporting parts. go about the install correct. get a tune and open the next season right. Different parts,cars require a different tune. I have a tuner for you in NJ if you would like. PM me for details.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:43 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Thank you guys, Handsom would you be able to pm me that information. this is adding up more than I'd like to spend at this point.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:25 PM
iWhine

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Good questions, great info. Sub'd!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:03 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
sc'ed!!! damn gus. i gotta see this
Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 AM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by bmeyer
Also, the F/IC is MUCH easier to tune than say the MS3 which means that it's considerably cheaper to tune. It's silly to consider getting rid of the better fuel management setup and go with the more primitive one. I don't understand the logic behind going that route.

The ACM is the primary issue behind the S/C surging. Whatever Comptech did in the tune, they F'd up big time. With the F/IC, my surging was almost completely eliminated.

There are a number of guys here with experience wiring up the F/IC. Just reach out to KN_TL, NVA-AV6, or myself. We can do the wiring. Hell, any of us can probably even set you up with a base map that will help you just get to the dyno in order to get a full tune on the car.

Regarding your fueling, do not, I repeat, DO NOT cheap out on your fueling. Just pick up a set of RDX injectors (~$250) and hold off on crushing the FPR. The problem with crushing the FPR is that you don't know exactly what your fueling parameters are. Is it 50 p.s.i., is it 65? Nobody really knows.

If it turns out that your pump can't keep up with the RDX injectors, THEN consider crushing the FPR. Really, it's one of the most ugly, half-assed, hack-ish things you can do when you have a fairly serious F/I setup, and is the most likely to cause you (and your engine) problems down the road.
So if you install RDX injectors and initially do not crush the FPR how do you know down the road if you need to crush the FPR??

If you have the Comptech tool isn't crushing the FPR simple and predictable?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:06 PM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
The only question I can offer advice on is the CAI. I used an AEM V2 I had laying around and just cut the end off to make it fit. Simply, clean, and you can still using the same mounting points.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Don't any any good info on the supercharger but I have cm stage 3 with aasco lwf and have zero chatter; now I had a little when it was breaking in but after 750 miles or so it stopped chattering. This is my DD and have had zero problems.