My DIY J&R Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:16 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
I was too impatient and only let it idle for a few minutes. It's better and is improving as I drive.

My last time out, I dumped all of my coolant because I didn't put the clamp back on the thermostat side. Felt like a total dumbass.

Filled it back up and took it for another short spin.

I lowered the duty cycle down to 10% and the boost comes on very gradually. One thing that I am not sure about is when I put it to the floor. The boost jumps to 6psi but its jerky. If I gradually get into it then it's very smooth. Would this be a symptom of a spooling problem because I don't have a full 3" exhaust?

I don't notice the torque steer much at all.

The A/F ratio is 14.x @ idle and about 11-11.5 when I get on it.

The smoke is finally starting to subside.

Sorry, no videos yet. I get too anxious to drive and keep forgetting the camera.
probably an issue of tuning with throttle tip-in enrichment and such (that S/C 3g has the same issue )
Old 06-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I was too impatient and only let it idle for a few minutes. It's better and is improving as I drive.

My last time out, I dumped all of my coolant because I didn't put the clamp back on the thermostat side. Felt like a total dumbass.

Filled it back up and took it for another short spin.

I lowered the duty cycle down to 10% and the boost comes on very gradually. One thing that I am not sure about is when I put it to the floor. The boost jumps to 6psi but its jerky. If I gradually get into it then it's very smooth. Would this be a symptom of a spooling problem because I don't have a full 3" exhaust?

I don't notice the torque steer much at all.

The A/F ratio is 14.x @ idle and about 11-11.5 when I get on it.

The smoke is finally starting to subside.

Sorry, no videos yet. I get too anxious to drive and keep forgetting the camera.
That 9" filter is more than enough for 400whp so you're good there.

The drivability issue might be compressor surge. You can adjust the BOV to be more sensitive and it may help the problem. Does the boost guage flutter or is it steady when the car gets jerky? Also, make sure the plugs are gapped down considerably from stock.

BOV may be leaking too. Make sure vacuum lines are hooked up correctly and the spring adjustment screw is correct.

What kind of exhaust do you have? You can always unbolt it at the downpipe and take it for a spin to see if it takes care of the spool issue.

The duty cycle you lowered, is it injector or wastegate DC?

Make sure the wastegate is set up properly. You have the base spring (the adjustment will be a screw or a nut on top of the wastegate) and then you have the vacuum lines hopefully connected to some sort of boost controller. I like to set the spring as low as I can get away with and turn the boost up with a boost controller. This helps spool in a big way.

With that turbo on a high compression 3.2L you should have extremely quick response. Should be almost instant if you hold it at 4,000rpm and punch it.

Dont' get discouraged, these issues are completely normal for a new setup. Just keep the engine's safety in mind while you're tuning. It's not a bad idea to throw some 100 octane in there until you get the bugs worked out.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
^Wow, thanks for all of the suggestions.

The boost gauge jumps to the spring setting I have set in the controller (6psi for a split second) then drops and fluctuates. The engine follows with the same reactions. I don't hold it very long because I was not sure what was happening.

I'm not actually sure what the spring setting is and thought 6 was a safe number to put into the controller assuming this would be the max boost it would allow. I was thinking about lowering it to see what it would do.

I do have the top and bottom of the wastegate connected to an AEM boost controller as the instructions states with a tee going from the bottom of the wastegate, turbo pressure and boost control solenoid.

The FIC, boost control, and BOV are all connected to the same vacuum port that the motor mount solenoid was connected to in stock form.

Time to read up on the BOV and wastegate adjustments.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Safety Car

Rodney suggested I pull off the intake filter....sure enough, everything is running smoothly.

I am experiencing the drop in rpm's when I let off but I think that'll be taken care of when I do the idle relearn again.

I am experiencing boost spikes @ 10% duty with a spr of 6. I'll play with that.

BOV is not adjustable from what I have read, the wastegate spring is 7.x psi and is adjusted by replacing the spring.

So......what do you all suggest? I really don't want to run without a filter and I am out of space under the hood.

What a blast this is though. Remember I said I didn't feel much torque steer, well now that I am generating some real boost, I can now. Manageable but there.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:30 PM
Safety Car

Just made an appointment with the dyno.

$150 for the 1st hr, $65 every hour after.....

Startup and idle is killing me. It's like it's loading up. Tailpipes are black. I'm going to take the time to do the idle relearn completely this time to see if it helps.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Startup and idle is killing me. It's like it's loading up. Tailpipes are black.
From your description, sounds like you have fouled plugs. You should maybe pull a spark plug to see if the plugs are fouled-out (totally black with soot). Fouled plugs would make it hard to start and idle rough (missing).
Old 06-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
where in NJ are you!??! i want to come and see this beast...
Old 06-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
From your description, sounds like you have fouled plugs. You should maybe pull a spark plug to see if the plugs are fouled-out (totally black with soot). Fouled plugs would make it hard to start and idle rough (missing).
I just pulled a plug and although there is some black around the edges and some on the side electrodes, the ceramic is still clean.

It starts up fine, just stumbles when I try and blip the throttle and drops to 500 or lower when I let off. It also emits a lot of smoke like when a carburetor is flooded and finally starts.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
where in NJ are you!??! i want to come and see this beast...
I grew up in South Jersey (Cumberland County) and was visiting my father for a few days. I am actually up in Vermont.

Depending on how the tuning goes, I am heading back down in a few weeks possibly taking the TL this time.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Safety Car

Agree. Sounds like the plugs are not fouled. We need Paul... I doubt that an idle relearn would be able to adjust for such a rich mixture.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:28 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Agree. Sounds like the plugs are not fouled. We need Paul... I doubt that an idle relearn would be able to adjust for such a rich mixture.
, computer can only do so much before it starts throwing rich mixture codes (normally around when the fuel trim numbers get about 20, some are like 30 percent though)
Old 06-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Team Owner

I think I know the question to this but the throttlebody is still bolted to the intake manifold just like stock, right? Sounds like it idles fine but goes very rich when you let off, does it do this only when going from boost to idle or from low throttle to idle?
Old 06-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Team Owner

Rodney suggested I pull off the intake filter....sure enough, everything is running smoothly.

I am experiencing the drop in rpm's when I let off but I think that'll be taken care of when I do the idle relearn again.

I am experiencing boost spikes @ 10% duty with a spr of 6. I'll play with that.

BOV is not adjustable from what I have read, the wastegate spring is 7.x psi and is adjusted by replacing the spring.

So......what do you all suggest? I really don't want to run without a filter and I am out of space under the hood.

What a blast this is though. Remember I said I didn't feel much torque steer, well now that I am generating some real boost, I can now. Manageable but there.
I forgot the second gen SSQ valves don't have the adjustment...

Boost spikes are *usually* from a low wastegate spring tension and a high DC on the controller but that doesn't look like the case here. Also too long or too small of diameter vacuum lines to the wastegate. Do you know which Tial gate this is? Just wondering what size the valve is.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I think I know the question to this but the throttlebody is still bolted to the intake manifold just like stock, right? Sounds like it idles fine but goes very rich when you let off, does it do this only when going from boost to idle or from low throttle to idle?
Exactly! It seems like whenever I just let off and let it drop to idle, it will fall below what it used to. I always wonder if it'll recover and sometimes it doesn't.

Especially bad when you first start it up. It fires up, then sometimes blubbers when I gas it or goes to idle and as soon as I blip the throttle, it will sometimes blubber but almost always drops below 500rpm and then stalls.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Safety Car

I forgot the second gen SSQ valves don't have the adjustment...

Boost spikes are *usually* from a low wastegate spring tension and a high DC on the controller but that doesn't look like the case here. Also too long or too small of diameter vacuum lines to the wastegate. Do you know which Tial gate this is? Just wondering what size the valve is.
It is the MV-S model with a 7psi spring.

I bought a silcone hose kit that had 3/16, 1/4 and 5/8" hoses.

I used the 3/16 from the BOV to the intake tee off to the FIC and Boost controller.

I used the 1/4" from the boost control solenoid keeping it within 2 1/2 feet from the turbo and wastegate.

Also used ty-wraps on all of the fittings.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:54 PM
Safety Car

Success!!!!

I think when I spewed hot coolant all over the place, it heated up the bottom hose the wastegate and it came off. The wastegate is somewhat buried so I didn't notice it until I was checking things out for melting.

Not sure how the wastegate was reacting based on half of it being connected but it wasn't good. I guess at least I didn't let it go too high before backing off.

I have both A and B duty cycles set to 10% and the spr backed down to 5. I can pretty much nail it and hold it as long as I dare. Right now it's not much but enough to have a blast with it.

Also went through the idle relearn and it's good now as well.

Tested it with and without the filter setup I made and although I have to be aware of where I am in the rpm range to avoid lag vs no filter, it doesn't appear to surge, at least not as badly as before.

I feel better running a filter and we'll see what happens when I get it on the dyno.

But for now, I am a very happy camper.

I promise again that I will have video's and more pics after I finish putting the interior back together and get things cleaned up.

Thanks everyone who gave me pointers!
Old 06-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Safety Car

KN,

Thank you . We owe you for allowing us to share in this experience. Without your write-up and pics, we would be left with just

Old 06-16-2010, 06:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Kn we owe you big time there's no way to explain how greatful we are for you taking the time out to do diy I install thread and pics ...awsome job ..
Old 06-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
KN_TL if possible it would be helpful to the members if you could provide a list of any additional hardware/components you needed to buy and any modifications you needed to make. Then put that list in the first post. This will give DIYers an idea of what they need to buy/do in order to install the kit.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:08 PM
Safety Car

Sure,

Here is what I bought:

Battery Box - 75.00
Battery - 165.00
Cables (1/0 and 4ga) - 100.00
Connectors - 75.00

AEM uego - 200.00
AEM Tru-Boost - 303.00
Gauge Cups - 44.00

Motor mounts (IM 85a) - 290.00
Oil Feed Mod - 150.00 (included tap/die set, connectors and line)
Air Filter setup - 150.00

Vacuum Hoses (silicone upgrade) - 15.00
Misc Nuts/Bolts (grade 8 upgrade/etc) - 25.00
Downpipe mount (custom fab w/2 rubber mounts) - 20.00
Bottom Intercooler mount (custom fab) - 10.00

Tools Purchased

Fuel Pump - 75.00
Crank Pulley - 25.00
Snap Ring Pliers - 25.00

Total - 1747.00

Still to buy

Knock Gauge - 300
Data Logger - 300
Meth Injection - 500
Exhaust - 500
Old 06-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Sure,

Here is what I bought:

Battery Box - 75.00
Battery - 165.00
Cables (1/0 and 4ga) - 100.00
Connectors - 75.00

AEM uego - 200.00
AEM Tru-Boost - 303.00
Gauge Cups - 44.00

Motor mounts (IM 85a) - 290.00
Oil Feed Mod - 150.00 (included tap/die set, connectors and line)
Air Filter setup - 150.00

Vacuum Hoses (silicone upgrade) - 15.00
Misc Nuts/Bolts (grade 8 upgrade/etc) - 25.00
Downpipe mount (custom fab w/2 rubber mounts) - 20.00
Bottom Intercooler mount (custom fab) - 10.00

Tools Purchased

Fuel Pump - 75.00
Crank Pulley - 25.00
Snap Ring Pliers - 25.00

Total - 1747.00

Still to buy

Knock Gauge - 300
Data Logger - 300
Meth Injection - 500
Exhaust - 500
Thank you. That is very helpful. Did any of the parts/piping need to be modified?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Safety Car

I had to cut about 2 inches off the first charge pipe off the turbo. There is a definite balance between the location of the intercooler that isn't totally documented but it wasn't bad.

The worse part was getting the last piece of the downpipe in. It's a long awkward part and I had to remove the hardline to the clutch slave to make it fit. Then the hardline went back in with no problems.

The other shortfall that was actually a 'fun' challenge is the air filter. I will find out on Friday if it is free flowing enough. I have a funny hesitation as the boost builds that I am not sure about.

The other issue I am having is the idle. It starts up like it's all loaded up with fuel and the idle is better but still a little rough and still dips a bit when you let off.

With the air on sitting at a light is a vibration hell. With the 85a's, it's pretty bad. Not bad enough for my wife to complain though! Overall the vibration level is higher but it is tolerable. I still wished my timing would have been such that I could have gotten your mounts.

Overall, the kit was very well put together. It did take some time to work through some issues but I had (still having) a great time putting it together. My neighbor has a 24 yr old with a Subie who heard about it and is raving about it.

I still owe more pictures and videos for this thread. I'll have some on Friday if all goes well.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Former Sponsor

I had to cut about 2 inches off the first charge pipe off the turbo. There is a definite balance between the location of the intercooler that isn't totally documented but it wasn't bad.

The worse part was getting the last piece of the downpipe in. It's a long awkward part and I had to remove the hardline to the clutch slave to make it fit. Then the hardline went back in with no problems.

The other shortfall that was actually a 'fun' challenge is the air filter. I will find out on Friday if it is free flowing enough. I have a funny hesitation as the boost builds that I am not sure about.

The other issue I am having is the idle. It starts up like it's all loaded up with fuel and the idle is better but still a little rough and still dips a bit when you let off.

With the air on sitting at a light is a vibration hell. With the 85a's, it's pretty bad. Not bad enough for my wife to complain though! Overall the vibration level is higher but it is tolerable. I still wished my timing would have been such that I could have gotten your mounts.

Overall, the kit was very well put together. It did take some time to work through some issues but I had (still having) a great time putting it together. My neighbor has a 24 yr old with a Subie who heard about it and is raving about it.

I still owe more pictures and videos for this thread. I'll have some on Friday if all goes well.
Excellent. Thank you for the info.

Sorry our mounts weren't out earlier.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You don't have an exhaust yet? I thought you did... Youre running on OEM cans?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:09 AM
Safety Car

I have a 2 1/2 to the Y and 2 1/4 thru the mufflers. All full flow.

I want to go at least 3" and play around with the resonators and mufflers.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:02 PM
B A N N E D

found that oval piping you were looking for:

http://www.burnsstainless.com/transi...undtooval.aspx

http://www.burnsstainless.com/304ovalsstubing.aspx
Old 06-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by friesm2000
Vibrant makes some transitions and also oval tubing. What size did you guys need?

Here is the 3" piping:

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-238574.aspx
Old 06-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Safety Car

I was able to move the charge pipe going into the throttle body up enough to clear the silicone bend. The only thing now is if a 9" filter is going to be free flowing enough.

I have an appointment with the local tuner on Friday and will find out then.

Thanks for the info, good to know anyway.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Team Owner

A 9" filter will flow 500hp fairly easily. I was running 10.60s with one. Didn't have to upgrade until the new 602rwhp engine.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Safety Car

No dyno today. Got a call yesterday that their stack went down and possibly needs to be sent out. We're looking at next Friday.

I find that the more miles I am putting on, the better things feel. Must be the ecu learning?

I've been playing with the boost controller. SPR set to 7, duty to 20. I can break the tires loose in 2nd gear at will. Boost still a bit erratic.

I did throw a CEL last night for an O2 Sensor responding slowly. I cleared it and will see what happens.

I am still plagued by the startup acting like it's loaded with fuel, but overall idle is getting better with each drive.

I am also still getting a funny stumble if I really floor it and the boost is coming on, then it smooth's out.

Going to work on getting the FIC logging enabled for the time being. I have other priorities that are going to prevent me from spending money on the car with the exception of the knock gauge. So logging wise I am going to use the FIC until I can replenish the TL stash.

Still owe final pictures and some videos. I don't have a camcorder, only the little camera I've been using to take the pictures in this thread. That's what's taking so long.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:10 AM
B A N N E D

No dyno today. Got a call yesterday that their stack went down and possibly needs to be sent out. We're looking at next Friday.

I find that the more miles I am putting on, the better things feel. Must be the ecu learning?

I've been playing with the boost controller. SPR set to 7, duty to 20. I can break the tires loose in 2nd gear at will. Boost still a bit erratic.

I did throw a CEL last night for an O2 Sensor responding slowly. I cleared it and will see what happens.

I am still plagued by the startup acting like it's loaded with fuel, but overall idle is getting better with each drive.

I am also still getting a funny stumble if I really floor it and the boost is coming on, then it smooth's out.

Going to work on getting the FIC logging enabled for the time being. I have other priorities that are going to prevent me from spending money on the car with the exception of the knock gauge. So logging wise I am going to use the FIC until I can replenish the TL stash.

Still owe final pictures and some videos. I don't have a camcorder, only the little camera I've been using to take the pictures in this thread. That's what's taking so long.
well you just reset all that ecu learning though

also where are they now, still basically the stock OEM location???, also did it mention what bank it was too

edit: looked back through, and saw OEM locations, so never mind about that being an issue (for what i origional thought might be the issue)

next thing is how many miles on the sensors themselves...., the excessive heat may have cause them to wear out kinda fast (remember they have temp rating, for which they like to operate in), so they might actually have to be move down stream a little, so they don't run as hot, and degrade so fast

Last edited by friesm2000; 06-25-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:44 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Great progress and good to see your boosting...but come 'on PICS AND VIDS FTL!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:53 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
I have been having the same issues with the ECU learning, since I have a huge voltage leak that kills my battery and resets the ECU all the time. My car starts and idles fine, but is harder to start once it's hot. The power seems to get better as I drive, but so much timming was taken out of my timming map that it won't spin in any gear. Going to have mine retuned next week, so I can get the explosive power I know this kit is capable of.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Hi speed
I have been having the same issues with the ECU learning, since I have a huge voltage leak that kills my battery and resets the ECU all the time. My car starts and idles fine, but is harder to start once it's hot. The power seems to get better as I drive, but so much timming was taken out of my timming map that it won't spin in any gear. Going to have mine retuned next week, so I can get the explosive power I know this kit is capable of.
Is the timing retard part of the kit or was it done by someone else? Even with retarded timing it should make tons of power. Spool should be very quick. The less timing you have, the quicker it will spool.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Safety Car

Rodney will have to confirm the maps but mine are straight from them and I can break the tires loose in 2nd and 3rd gear. If the rpm's are in the 3.5-4K range, spool is very quick. Even coming out of low rpm's, boost comes on fairly quickly.

It's really funny how a ricer will see me and try to run away......then they slow way down.

Having a blast.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:42 PM
Safety Car

Oh yeah, no CEL tonight.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:56 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Is the timing retard part of the kit or was it done by someone else? Even with retarded timing it should make tons of power. Spool should be very quick. The less timing you have, the quicker it will spool.
The tunner I used messed with the timming maps. The car is very slow to go into boost and requires you to get on it pretty hard before it will go into boost.

I am running sticky tires but the supercharger would brake them loose.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Safety Car

Here are some pictures of the finished product.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hi speed
The tunner I used messed with the timming maps. The car is very slow to go into boost and requires you to get on it pretty hard before it will go into boost.

I am running sticky tires but the supercharger would brake them loose.
Did you copy the file before they mucked with it? I am going to play with the FIC this weekend and will be making a copy.

I am sure if you talk to Rodney, he must have a backup. If it's the same, I could also send it to you.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Team Owner

Something is wrong. I don't know if its the way the wastegate vacuum lines are run or if the tuning is way off. That turbo should start making boost around 2,500rpm and slam you in the seat by 3,500rpm. If you're at 4,000rpm and floor it, full boost should take about a second.

Quick Reply: My DIY J&R Turbo Install