My DIY J&R Turbo Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi speed
I would wrap both the top and bottom rad hoses, I have measured the temp on my hoses pre wrap at 195-202 and they are very close to the manifold. My turbo seems to always be about 400 degrees. I am running with no filter right now but need to find one.
I took the wrap that J&R gave me, cut it in half and wrapped both the top and bottom hoses where it touches the manifold. You can barely see it from the top.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KN_TL
Here's some pictures of what I've gotten done so far.
I also added an air filter. J&R said they had some surging with it. I hope it isn't too bad.

What's left:

Wire up power to the gauges
Wire up the boost controller solenoid
Connect wideband o2 to FIC.
Finish turbo oil feed connection @ sensor
Reinstall Intercooler with power steering cooler
Connect FIC, bov and boost control to the manifold
Bleed clutch
Add oil
Add coolant.
seems like because it is too small for the amount of airflow actually needed, and a bigger filter would help it alot but space constraints might be another issue though

I would wrap both the top and bottom rad hoses, I have measured the temp on my hoses pre wrap at 195-202 and they are very close to the manifold. My turbo seems to always be about 400 degrees. I am running with no filter right now but need to find one.
try something like this to keep the heat in where it is produced instead of trying to protect everything around it
http://www.designengineering.com/cat...rbo-shield-kit

or the cheaper version
http://www.designengineering.com/cat...insulation-kit
Old 06-04-2010, 10:41 PM
B A N N E D

and for that bigger air filter, could you put like a 270 degree elbow on there then have it kinda like sit over the radiator hoses and such

or even have it along like the valve cover with a little more piping there (and move the coolant reservoir some where else instead)
Old 06-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice

Is this veh 5AT or 6MT
Old 06-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Safety Car

I'm going to want a 45 for the turbo outlet so I am going to get a 4" - 45 for the inlet.

There is plenty of room to put a full sized cone filter under the pipe going to the throttlebody. The only thing would be to fab something up to support it.

Hi Speed and myself are 6MT. Libert69 will be the first 5AT with this kit. I think there is one more person on the list but I don't know for sure.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like to see how 5AT would hold close to 500WHP
Old 06-05-2010, 06:32 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very, Very nice set up...
Old 06-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Get an airfilter on it. You MUST run one.

Be very careful on resriction pre-turbo. This is the worst place to have restriction. 45 degrees is the maximum bend on a 3.5" pipe that is acceptable. You want at least 6" of straight tubing before it enters the turbo if possible.

I can't see what you're dealing with because I can't see pictures but keep in mind oval pipe is available for space issues. Popular in turbo exhaust in tight spaces.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Get an airfilter on it. You MUST run one.

Be very careful on resriction pre-turbo. This is the worst place to have restriction. 45 degrees is the maximum bend on a 3.5" pipe that is acceptable. You want at least 6" of straight tubing before it enters the turbo if possible.

I can't see what you're dealing with because I can't see pictures but keep in mind oval pipe is available for space issues. Popular in turbo exhaust in tight spaces.
I should be able to get 6" after the 45. I'm going to order some 4" aluminum tubing from the same place that I order the silicone bends.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:37 PM
Safety Car

Got more done this weekend. The list is down to:

Bleed clutch
Add oil

I'm in South Jersey right now and I'm going to head to Delaware tomorrow to visit Verocious Motorsports to pick up the parts to put in a larger air filter. I'll be back in town on Friday so I hope to have it running then.

One question for everyone regarding antifreeze.

Is there any issues using dexcool in our systems?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Team Owner

Got more done this weekend. The list is down to:

Bleed clutch
Add oil

I'm in South Jersey right now and I'm going to head to Delaware tomorrow to visit Verocious Motorsports to pick up the parts to put in a larger air filter. I'll be back in town on Friday so I hope to have it running then.

One question for everyone regarding antifreeze.

Is there any issues using dexcool in our systems?
There's an issue with Dexcool period. Absolute no. I know they used it in the J35 powered Saturns but this stuff has caused countless issues in thousands of GM vehicles from the coolant turning to gel to it eating intake manifold gaskets. I have lots of first hand experience with this junk.

The Honda stuff if a great fluid. If you want a little better performance and it does not freeze regularly in your area you can dilute it with distilled water by 20%.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

There's an issue with Dexcool period. Absolute no. I know they used it in the J35 powered Saturns but this stuff has caused countless issues in thousands of GM vehicles from the coolant turning to gel to it eating intake manifold gaskets. I have lots of first hand experience with this junk.

The Honda stuff if a great fluid. If you want a little better performance and it does not freeze regularly in your area you can dilute it with distilled water by 20%.
Thanks. I put it into my radiator out of haste and I am going to drain it when I get back and pick up some honda fluid. The fluid hasn't circulated but I am going to run several gallons of DI water through it to flush it out.

It potentially gets down to -30 F here so I have to worry about that.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Team Owner

Thanks. I put it into my radiator out of haste and I am going to drain it when I get back and pick up some honda fluid. The fluid hasn't circulated but I am going to run several gallons of DI water through it to flush it out.

It potentially gets down to -30 F here so I have to worry about that.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Most of the issues with Dexcool occur over time. Leaving it in there for a few months will be fine. Nothing to worry about right now.

However, it's a good idea to do what you suggested, flushing it with distilled water. It can gel up when it comes into contact with both air and certain other fluids so getting it all out is important.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Safety Car

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Most of the issues with Dexcool occur over time. Leaving it in there for a few months will be fine. Nothing to worry about right now.

However, it's a good idea to do what you suggested, flushing it with distilled water. It can gel up when it comes into contact with both air and certain other fluids so getting it all out is important.
If it's going to cause problems, I'd rather get it out now and just go with the right stuff. Thanks again for the help!
Old 06-08-2010, 04:59 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
So your up and running? Either way excellent job.

Care to list the parts that your buying for the air filter? I know JandR said they were building an intake for the turbo but they havent gotten around to it yet. I was thinking about bringing the car to a shop buy me (after the install) so they could bend some pipe and make me an intake. What filter are you using?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by libert69
So your up and running? Either way excellent job.

Care to list the parts that your buying for the air filter? I know JandR said they were building an intake for the turbo but they havent gotten around to it yet. I was thinking about bringing the car to a shop buy me (after the install) so they could bend some pipe and make me an intake. What filter are you using?
I'm just picking up a 45 deg to come off the turbo with a short piece of aluminum pipe and a 5 inch filter. I'll make the length of pipe between the 45 and the filter as long as space allows. There is space below the TB pipe.

Not running yet but very close. Would have been done by now but I made a 8hr drive to my Dad's in South Jersey and won't be back home until Thursday.

I'm heading to Delaware tomorrow to pick up the parts.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to have one of these in my car, I need one of these in my car. I would like to hear more about how liberty 5at will hold up to the power as mine is auto aswell. KN congrats on your new toy it all lookss great and thanks for all the pictures very informative.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Safety Car

Got the 4" plumbing from Verocious. That is some big ass piping. I'll post some pics when I get home.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Team Owner

Got the 4" plumbing from Verocious. That is some big ass piping. I'll post some pics when I get home.
That's very good to hear. IMO, you have a hand up on the other turbo TLs. It's nice to see such relentlessness and attention to detail. It's these small touches that add up in the end.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:39 PM
18psi

Do you have to weld that 45 bend to the turbo?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Team Owner

Do you have to weld that 45 bend to the turbo?
I don't want to answer for him but it will likely be coupled with a rubber or silicone hose with clamps.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:41 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
That's very good to hear. IMO, you have a hand up on the other turbo TLs. It's nice to see such relentlessness and attention to detail. It's these small touches that add up in the end.

How so??
Old 06-10-2010, 06:25 AM
Safety Car

I don't want to answer for him but it will likely be coupled with a rubber or silicone hose with clamps.
As usual, absolutely correct!

I've got a question for you.

I read that it is better to not have the tee for the oil sending unit/turbo feed line coming right off the block.

So I took a brass 1/8 npt pipe, cut off one end, threaded it with a 1/8 bpt die and coupled the other end with a -4 AN fitting. That went into the block.

Then I ran an 18" -4 AN braided line to a tee with the sending unit and the -3 AN fitting going to the turbo.

Do you see anything wrong with doing that?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 AM
B A N N E D

As usual, absolutely correct!

I've got a question for you.

I read that it is better to not have the tee for the oil sending unit/turbo feed line coming right off the block.

So I took a brass 1/8 npt pipe, cut off one end, threaded it with a 1/8 bpt die and coupled the other end with a -4 AN fitting. That went into the block.

Then I ran an 18" -4 AN braided line to a tee with the sending unit and the -3 AN fitting going to the turbo.

Do you see anything wrong with doing that?
, why you say that...

only thing i might see is the added weight or something possibly breaking the tee off from the block, but a quality tee should have no problem with that though
Old 06-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Team Owner

How so??
He's added several touches to improve the already great kit. The airfilter location was the only thing I would've improved on and he did it. Having a filter clamped onto the turbo is not the worst thing you could do but having such a short filter right no the inlet would not be my first choice. Adding a nice 4" inlet and giving the filter a little distance from the turbo will help a little with spool and power. I've done the research over a 6 month time period of just going from a 3" to a 4" inlet and you would be surprised at the results especially with the spool time. I can dig some of it up if anyone is interested. Different cars of course but it still applies.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by friesm2000
, why you say that...

only thing i might see is the added weight or something possibly breaking the tee off from the block, but a quality tee should have no problem with that though
just being anal.

It also let me route the feed line to the turbo a little nicer
Old 06-10-2010, 02:10 PM
B A N N E D

He's added several touches to improve the already great kit. The airfilter location was the only thing I would've improved on and he did it. Having a filter clamped onto the turbo is not the worst thing you could do but having such a short filter right no the inlet would not be my first choice. Adding a nice 4" inlet and giving the filter a little distance from the turbo will help a little with spool and power. I've done the research over a 6 month time period of just going from a 3" to a 4" inlet and you would be surprised at the results especially with the spool time. I can dig some of it up if anyone is interested. Different cars of course but it still applies.
easy, just like a bigger downpipe (to a point though), but basically less restriction, and allot more available air to the turbo to literally gulp in at once, let alone being able to replenish that air supply that much faster, so you are basically pushing that much more air through the motor that much faster, to be able to spin that turbo that much faster

but i wound not mind the linky though , might be good reading for the fun of it
but yeah all motors do the same thing, just a big f***ing air pump, it just might be in a different chassis though
Old 06-10-2010, 02:14 PM
B A N N E D

just being anal.

It also let me route the feed line to the turbo a little nicer
be anal is at times good though, versus like a very sloppy install
so no problem with it for me
Old 06-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by friesm2000
easy, just like a bigger downpipe (to a point though), but basically less restriction, and allot more available air to the turbo to literally gulp in at once, let alone being able to replenish that air supply that much faster, so you are basically pushing that much more air through the motor that much faster, to be able to spin that turbo that much faster

but i wound not mind the linky though , might be good reading for the fun of it
but yeah all motors do the same thing, just a big f***ing air pump, it just might be in a different chassis though
There are several reasons why it helps so much. Pressure differential is one of them. Raising the inlet vacuum has the same effect as running more boost except you're at the same manifold pressure. The turbo has to work harder, increasing exhaust backpressure and heating up the charge air more. These combine to reduce power slightly.

Since it does not move a fixed volume per revolution like a positive displacement pump (roots supercharger), it's efficiency can go way down with a restriction on the inlet side. This is one way that spool is helped with less restriction. The turbo does not have to accelerate to as high of an rpm to produce the same boost level because at a higher efficiency it's moving more air per revolution.

The turbo is a centrifugal compressor and it's not very efficient at pulling air in. The inducer catches the air and the exducer flings the air out centrifugally. It's very efficient at moving large volumes of air on the pressure side but it sucks at pulling a vacuum.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts

but it sucks at pulling a vacuum.
Ok now... was that pun intentional ???
Old 06-10-2010, 04:37 PM
18psi

any differences between cone and oval filters? KN, is there enough room for a 7inch oval filter?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Safety Car

well, ain't as much room as I thought. So I am in the process of relocating the under hood fuse box.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Ok now... was that pun intentional ???
Honestly, not until I proof read it but I knew someone would say something lol.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:22 PM
B A N N E D

any differences between cone and oval filters? KN, is there enough room for a 7inch oval filter?
shape does not matter a whole lot, it is more about the amount of filter media you got and how restrictive the media is

the shape is more of a help if you got space constants and such, of where you can fit it (and provide breahing room around the filter itself)
Old 06-11-2010, 02:24 PM
B A N N E D

well, ain't as much room as I thought. So I am in the process of relocating the under hood fuse box.
should give you some room to put a larger filter, but my question is how are going to get that 4" pipe across the other one, so you can put a filter there (does not seem like enough room to even run that size pipe)
Old 06-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Safety Car

After staring and testing if the hood would shut, a light bulb went off to take the bottom off of the fuse box. Sure enough, it gave me enough room.

I have a slight indentation where the pipe going to the TB needs to pass but I can get a full 4" pipe though. I currently have a 5" cone filter but I can put in a larger one. If I have surging or spooling issues, I'll replace it.

I also replaced the turbo outlet fitting from a straight 2 1/2" to a modified 45 deg fitting. Because the turbo is angled and the length of the intercooler piping made the connection not match angle wise. So I cut a 45 deg elbow to match better. I may still cut the inlet intercooler pipe so things fit better but for now it is better than it was. It's hard to take a pic that really shows what I mean.

So close. I should be firing it up very soon.

Last edited by KN_TL; 06-11-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

BTW, do I just plug this hose coming from the valve cover? It used to go to the CAI.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:01 PM
B A N N E D

i don't quite like how that intakes touches the other pipe (and kinda crushes it), but it should work though, but i would still watch it though, and make sure it does not rub through and such at any point

BTW, do I just plug this hose coming from the valve cover? It used to go to the CAI.

plug it... NO, it should at least be able to breath, even if that means a seperate filter on it, but personally it should be hooked to the intake you are currently making (just one less filter to maintain)

fyi it's where the crankcase gets it's freash air for the PVC system (the hose on the front right of the motor that is from the valve cover to the intake manifold)
Old 06-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Safety Car

Thanks. I wasn't sure if that was part of the PVC system since I didn't see the valve.

I'm going to just get a small filter to put there instead of plumbing it into the intake.

Unless I can find oval tubing for both sets of pipe, I am really out of ideas at the moment. It'll at least get me by for now and I'll figure something else out down the road. I think it's better than running the little filter or no filter at all.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Team Owner

As it was said, don't plug it, you need it more than ever with the additional blowby you're going to have now. You may want to replace the PCV or install an additional checkvalve inline to make sure none of the manifold boost makes its way into the crankcase.

Quick Reply: My DIY J&R Turbo Install