Lightweight pulley help

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017 | 03:30 AM
Racer

I got the UR lightweight stock diameter pulley and used my old stock belt that I had on there for 20k miles, everything runs fine. No weird noises or anything. To remove it do what everyone else says... hit the crank bolt with an impact gun, that's the fastest, most efficient and the only way to install it. If you don't have access to one goto a shop to have it installed it shouldn't cost anymore than $100 and that's a very high estimate.

As for the gains.. you probably might not see any difference on the Dyno but it helps your car rev up faster, which in turn builds power faster. The thing I noticed most was the car itself just felt lighter and more agile. It feels like your car takes off easier also. To me it made a huge difference but everyone has a different feel and expectations on their own butt dyno.

Taking a step back a little, when I put on some heavy 19" wheels on to my TL, it slowed my car down a lot but after putting on the pulley, the car feels like it's running on the stock 17" again which I liked. In my honest opinion I think it's worth it. Endless or xlr8 I'm sure you won't be disappointed as they both have very similar designs. Endless stepped into the market selling parts for significantly cheaper than the rest of their competitors but that always doesn't mean they lack the quality.
The following users liked this post:
03max6spd (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017 | 05:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
Or you can just hit it with an impact and call it a day.

When you get the light weight pulley there is no place to hold it like the stock one. So yeah it's useless. hit it with an impact and be on your way.
Installing the light weight pulleys with an impact gun is advised against in UR's instructions.

We recently saw a pulley set for a CL installed with an impact gun. The keyhole was rounded, a lip in the center bore had been created, and the hole was slightly oblong. This makes for some serious vibration when the 0 gram balance gets thrown off. It's important to make sure everything is seated correctly before tightening bolts down since the aluminum is soft.

All that may seem a bit obvious or unnecessary to say, but we don't need anyone costing themselves a pulley!
Old 04-20-2017 | 05:02 PM
Safety Car

^^ How do you get to the proper tightening? I saw someone said 100 ft lbs then turn it to a certain angle, but how do you turn it past that 100 mark? Just get a long pipe on a breaker bar and tighten to that angle??
Old 04-20-2017 | 05:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ExcelerateRep
Installing the light weight pulleys with an impact gun is advised against in UR's instructions.

We recently saw a pulley set for a CL installed with an impact gun. The keyhole was rounded, a lip in the center bore had been created, and the hole was slightly oblong. This makes for some serious vibration when the 0 gram balance gets thrown off. It's important to make sure everything is seated correctly before tightening bolts down since the aluminum is soft.

All that may seem a bit obvious or unnecessary to say, but we don't need anyone costing themselves a pulley!
how would you suggest putting it back on? I understand taking it off, but putting it back on is what I'm stumped about, without using an impact.
Old 04-20-2017 | 05:20 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ExcelerateRep

Put the pulley bolt hand tight first and then impacted it. The picture of the pulley I posted was removed and installed 3 times with an impact gun. So that person with the CLs was probably impacting it for a good 1 mins or so if they can deform the pulley like that.

It is almost impossible to tq it by hand without a tool holding the pulley. The motor will just spin even if you have it in gear or stomp on the brakes.
Old 04-21-2017 | 10:35 AM
Former Sponsor

It's supposed to be done with a torque wrench, so installing them with an impact gun is at your own risk.

If it's a manual car then you can put in gear and have someone hold the brake which has worked well for us, if it's an automatic that does make things more challenging since you are tightening the bolt in the direction the engine rotates. You will need to find a way to brace the pulley before you're able to torque it down.

It can be tricky, but if you've used an impact gun and been successful then don't let me stop you. It's your car, your parts, and your build; I was just tying to make sure everyone is careful about it!
The following users liked this post:
thisaznboi88 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017 | 11:53 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by sockr1
...when you say crank key, are you referring to the socket you linked?
The key is the rectangular bar that inserts into the timing belt drive pulley. Over 2 TB changes, I've never had it come out. YMMV. From Majofo's DIY (bottom left photo):

The following 2 users liked this post by nfnsquared:
ExcelerateRep (04-27-2017), sockr1 (04-21-2017)