just installed thermoblock spacers

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:06 PM
Down for a photoshoot?

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
hey guys sorry for bringing a thread back from the grave but I had a question regarding the install once again @___@

for the top two studs that have to be taken out from the throttle body ... how'd you get those out? in the instructions it says to use the method with two bolts, however the thing is there's not enough space on the stud for two bolts to go on from what I'm seeing right now any info would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-04-2007, 03:22 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed mine yesterday afternoon and noticed a slight difference. It was around 93 outside.
I've noticed a few people with problems. Are there any of you that have recently installed the spacers and had problems?
Old 09-04-2007, 04:54 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
happy for you man, I am still stalling on ordering mine, I did get to install the p2r throttle spacer with a fujita cai... the gains are very noticible
Old 09-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Man of God.....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

No problems here. Been over a year! I think....
Old 09-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by crzygosu87
hey guys sorry for bringing a thread back from the grave but I had a question regarding the install once again @___@

for the top two studs that have to be taken out from the throttle body ... how'd you get those out? in the instructions it says to use the method with two bolts, however the thing is there's not enough space on the stud for two bolts to go on from what I'm seeing right now any info would be greatly appreciated
Remove the TB first, then there is enough thread to get both bolts on there to remove. I did this earlier this year and experienced no problems with the install.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
There was a short period of time when the place that supplies the new studs and things in the bag to UR,- they put the wrong length studs in the bag

A member here found the problem- it was immediatly corrected and I have not heard any bad things since
Old 09-04-2007, 11:46 AM
Starcraft II addict

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts
I was the one that had the incorrect stud length problem.

I have had some problems after the install, however I installed both the AEM CAI and the spacers at the same time so I don't know what is causing the problem or if it is even them.

Here is what I am experiencing:
1. Noticible loss of low end power and a little slower throttle response
2. When flooring it (in full auto) the shift from 2nd to 3rd happens at 5500 rpm or so. It used to happen at just over 6500 rpm.
3. There is an annoying shrill/whistle sound that happens particularly in the gear change from 2nd to 3rd on normal acceleration (gear change at about 40mph).

When I use the "manual" mode, then problems 1 and 2 disappear. However a new difference occurs. When before the installs, I remember that in "manual" mode that I would hit 6500 rpm in 2nd at around 60mph. Now I'm hitting 70 in 2nd and still haven't red lined. That concerns me as that shouldn't have changed.

I'm thinking that the power/rpm problems are stemming from the ECU not resetting itself properly. There is the possibility of a leak but I haven't had a chance to look into it further. Since I've moved to KC it's been to darn hot out. I still need to install the heli-coil on the fule rail where the threads got stripped due to the improper bolt length.

As for the shrieking sound, I still can't figure that one out. I'm sure its the CAI and not the spacers. I've double checked the fittings from the CAI to the throttle body and reseated the filter and still get that irritating whistle sound.

What problems are you having? As a feedback point, I'm still happy that I did these mods, I just ran into a lot of bad luck with the hardware not being right on the install.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
so let me get this right, in order to get those new spacers, you need the TB spacers? Or are the p2r spacers a seperate set of spacers that would replace the TB spacers if i had them?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I did my install a few weeks ago. I noticed two areas for possible screw-ups.

First, I HIGHLY recommend purchasing a new intake manifold gasket. I did. It is $20 before shipping cost. But, damn glad I got both gaskets (intake manifold and intake cover). The gasket is a multi layers of "sheet metal". Once it is deformed to comfirm to a certain shape (oem = intake manifold to runners), it will NOT confirm to any other shape. And, you are asking the old gasket to do just this... to confirm to a new interface between the intake runners and the new spacer. The old gaket isn't gonna do it. Get a new gasket to be extra careful.

Second area a screw-up might happen is with postioining the intake cover gasket. It IS POSSIBLE to postioned the gasket backward. I checked out of curiousty. If someone was in a hurry or not being careful, I think they could assembly the cover with the gasket flipped around. The gasket has a blocked section that covers the PCV port. The opposite side does not. One side has a indented curve to follow the casting shape. The other side has a regular radius. Major ass vacuum leak I would expect if flipped around.

By the way, the service manual makes NO mention of placing the gasket correctly. I spotted this myself out of curiousty.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 PM
7th Gear

I was thinking of doing the AEM CAI and the spacer mod as well. Anybody else had problems with that combo?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TLgirl34
I was thinking of doing the AEM CAI and the spacer mod as well. Anybody else had problems with that combo?
Almost two years and probably about 25,000 miles with this combo (and other mods). No problems.