Just got an AEM V2 now...help on LI

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 08:46 PM
New shoes on my

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got an AEM V2 now...help on LI

Hey everyone,

Well, I'm an indecisive bastard . As you might remember, I put up a post a few days ago when I got a regular AEM CAI, but I decided that I really wanted a V2, plus I found one practically new on eBay for $200.

So anways, I'm reading the instructions from the V1 and the instructions from the V2, and I've watched the DIY in the 3G garage, so I'm pretty sure of what to do and am ready to make some minor modifications to fit the V2, but is there anyone on LI who's done a CAI install on the 3G who wants to lend me a hand one of these days? I plan on taking off the bumper and need the extra set of hands. I live in Mineola, but I can come to you too in Suffolk, Queens, Westchester, etc. I pay in handshakes, lunch, beer and a helping hand for any future installs of yours .

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 12-30-2008, 10:34 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I can do the entire thing in 30mins, but its cold ass hell outside
Old 12-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
You will like the V2....
Old 12-31-2008, 12:27 AM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
Originally Posted by stillhere153
I can do the entire thing in 30mins, but its cold ass hell outside
Eh... I installed mines in the cold---and at night [when it gets colder].
If you lived in Montreal---I'd have no problem installing it for you.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:05 AM
New shoes on my

Yeah, it is a tit bit nipply. Well if anyone want to come to Mineola, I can get one of the rigs out of my firehouse for about an hour. It's warm and well lit
Old 12-31-2008, 02:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
I do not mean to take away your thread, but instead of pestering the forum with another CAI Question thread, I only have a small question for which the search button has not quite helped answered.

I do want the V2, but I am not sure the shop I having do the work (before someone says something, I don't trust my hands; a shop's doing it. End of story, please) will install the V2 because there isn't one made for the TL-S. The shop is also pestering for a bypass as well. Thus, my question is how can I convince the shop to still install the Accord V2 and to show them I don't need the bypass?
Please, feel free to PM me so that mglax's thread does not become cluttered with another topic. Sorry, mate.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:39 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

to the op... pm me, I am off work on mondays and tuesdays...

to the above poster

the design of the v2 is less likely to suck up water than the v1... becuase it not a straight tube.... the 3" section goes 3/4 of the tube, while the 4" section goes 1/4 tube...

just have em install what you got, dont install the bypass valve as ur motor can suck the foam into the intake manifold BAD NEWS
Old 12-31-2008, 02:54 PM
New shoes on my

Rick, no problem man, it's all good

Like said above, the bypass valves are bad news and as the owner of the car, it's your choice if you want or don't want one, so don't take that shit from them.

Also, if they don't want to do the install because there wasn't a V2 made for the TL-S, well then I say take your business else where. There has to be other shops in Dallas that will do the install.

If you go on Fujita's website, the model number for the 03-07 V6 Accord intake is MA-1006. The model number for the 04-08 TL is....MA-1006!! If TL intakes fit on the TL-S, and the Accord fits on the TL, then the law of syllogism (I'm a math major...logic was my forte) would hold that Accord will also fit on the TL-S.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:41 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
just like any CAI, the install should be pretty straight forward.. the V2 requires a little "banging" with a rubber mallet or hammer....

questions. does the V2 have the IAT sensor bong??
Old 12-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
to the op... pm me, I am off work on mondays and tuesdays...

to the above poster

the design of the v2 is less likely to suck up water than the v1... becuase it not a straight tube.... the 3" section goes 3/4 of the tube, while the 4" section goes 1/4 tube...

just have em install what you got, dont install the bypass valve as ur motor can suck the foam into the intake manifold BAD NEWS
Originally Posted by mglax13
Rick, no problem man, it's all good

Like said above, the bypass valves are bad news and as the owner of the car, it's your choice if you want or don't want one, so don't take that shit from them.

Also, if they don't want to do the install because there wasn't a V2 made for the TL-S, well then I say take your business else where. There has to be other shops in Dallas that will do the install.

If you go on Fujita's website, the model number for the 03-07 V6 Accord intake is MA-1006. The model number for the 04-08 TL is....MA-1006!! If TL intakes fit on the TL-S, and the Accord fits on the TL, then the law of syllogism (I'm a math major...logic was my forte) would hold that Accord will also fit on the TL-S.
Thanks fellas. I'm positive I might lose the warranty with AEM (as the V2 was not technically made for our cars), but I'll take the chance.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Bored at work

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i can help out this weekend if you like and near city island in the bronx!!!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:20 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Wow this thread is awesome... I love this community!! So helpful!! I live really close to Mineola, however I haven't installed a CAI ever, so I mean I could help you do the install if you knew what you were doing. I mean installing a CAI should be straight forward, not rocket science. I've removed the bumper and all that stuff a couple of times, but I think there are other people that are more knowledgable. But I live in Wantagh, so PM if you want a pair of hands to help you out. I need to put my car back together first, just finshed installing the video connection to my iPhone from my DOM unit so rear seats are still out. Also just installed the illuminated door sills. Putting the rear seats back in by yourself is a bit more challenging than I thought.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:47 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
just like any CAI, the install should be pretty straight forward.. the V2 requires a little "banging" with a rubber mallet or hammer....

questions. does the V2 have the IAT sensor bong??
yea black it has the bung
Old 01-01-2009, 03:25 PM
New shoes on my

Elegant, I think I'm workin something out with stillhere for Tuesday night install in Mineola. You're more than welcome to swing by if you wanna check it out.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:56 PM
New shoes on my

Did the install tonight. Took me about 2 hours. It could have been quicker, but I took off the bumper and I fought with the u-shaped tube in the stock intake to get it out. That added on about 50 minutes. The bumper removal wasn't bad AT ALL! Once I grew a pair and gave it some muscle, it was cake. It did however hurt me a little bit inside to be smacking the lip of that hole with a ball peen hammer to make it clear, but in the end, it's completely worth it. The other really big son of a bitch for me was the coolant hose and the breather hose at the crank case. I guess I have fat fingers.

First impression is a bit of a noticable increase in low end power. Definate noticable increase in sound, but it sounds very nice. If anyone around Mineola wants to check it out or hear it, let me know. Also, I feel confident that I can assist anyone on an install of the V2.

One thing I noticed however, the AF sensor that can be moved further down the intake..well atleast on my '08, it's not in the same place I've seen in all the pictures...weird.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:59 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

did you still relocate it tho... at first I thought it was farther away, but later took some of the tape off of it and it reached fine...

also... :'( since parting my tl.. I've been rolling around town with the home made short ram... really... I must say this... after removing all the exhaust components and all that, my car still pulled pretty hard... BUT AFTER REPLACING THE V2... my car is SLOW AND DOES NOT RESPOND

I will say this much... the v2... is a mod no one should go without... even if you have a v1... do as I did long ago... do yourself a favor and get a v2 you wont regret it...

the "hammering" isn't really that bad... and the close to the foglight... isn't really that bad either... just dent the filter with your finger, or leave as is, from the engine movment the foglight will create it alone
Old 01-04-2009, 11:08 PM
New shoes on my

I didn't end up moving the sensor. It's midnight right now and dark out, but in the morning, I'll take some pics of my engine, because I think thre are some differences from the '08 3.2L and the '04-'07 3.2L. Besides the sensor, the engone cover is different too and who knows what else...maybe I'm just imagining things.

Does anyone have a picture of their 3.2L engine bay?
Old 01-05-2009, 03:22 PM
"Like None Other"

any short write up available?? what exactly do you have to do with the hammer?? i have been thinkin about gettin this done to my 6mt for a better power path for my 3.2....any problems you run into?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:32 PM
New shoes on my

I was going to take pictures when I did it, but of course I forgot. I was curious about what I was going to have to hammer, but it's pretty self explanitory when you start doing it. You attach the intake to the TB and the vibramount, and you'll see where it rubs. It fits without hammering it, but it will rub...so that's the spot to hammer. It's the hole that passes through from the engine bay to the inside of the bumper. I will try and do a more complete write up when I get an opportunity.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Instructor

I installed mine with no hammering. I did work up a variation on the vibramount so that the filter would sit back away from the foglight. So far after 500 miles, no noise, no rubbing, just the sound of the V2 intake......
Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Mglax whats your opinion on the v2 now? Final thoughts after the install? Are you as happy with it as everyone else? I am just curious because I plan on getting it next month and I don't really need to be talked into it cause I am already sold but I just wanted to know what you thought.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Instructor

Let me add that I am very pleased with the results. Well worth the effort.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:29 PM
New shoes on my

I am VERY pleased with the results. It's reasonable enough in price compared to the V1, and the extra few bucks are really nothing over the long run. I unfortunatly can't compare it to the V1, as I never had the V1 installed in my car, and the only other TL's I've been in with a V1 also had a mess of other modifications, but I assure you that you won't regret it.

I'm a vol FF, and the other night, I was yanked out of bed at 2am for a fire call, it was about 20 degrees outside, and I was really getting on it on the open road to the firehouse...and that sound brought the biggest smile to my face and woke me right up, and as I turned the corner down the block, one of the guys was outside the firehouse waiting for more people to come, and as soon as I stepped out of the car, he had this surprised look on his face and said "wow, that sounds amazing...what did you do?"
Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mglax13
I am VERY pleased with the results. It's reasonable enough in price compared to the V1, and the extra few bucks are really nothing over the long run. I unfortunatly can't compare it to the V1, as I never had the V1 installed in my car, and the only other TL's I've been in with a V1 also had a mess of other modifications, but I assure you that you won't regret it.

I'm a vol FF, and the other night, I was yanked out of bed at 2am for a fire call, it was about 20 degrees outside, and I was really getting on it on the open road to the firehouse...and that sound brought the biggest smile to my face and woke me right up, and as I turned the corner down the block, one of the guys was outside the firehouse waiting for more people to come, and as soon as I stepped out of the car, he had this surprised look on his face and said "wow, that sounds amazing...what did you do?"
Thats so awesome man! I can't wait to get mine in! How was the install on difficulty? You do it yourself? Thats whats got me kinda scared cause I don't know if I trust myself to do it.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 PM
New shoes on my

I was worried about doing it myself too, that's why I asked everyone on here for help, but then I really thought about it...and what was I really scared about? How could I possibly fuck this up? The only thing I was weary about was the bumper removal, and I really didn't want to do it through the wheel well, but I watched SanDiegoDrive's video and I used the front bumper removal instructions for the '07 A-Spec front lip kit, and it was fine. My buddy gave me a hand. He was more worried than I. If you can turn a wrench and and a screw driver, you're fine, honestly, I can't preach this enough.

Plus it makes that first inital drive after the install 100X better, it's a great feeling after putting in a couple of hours of work, then reaping the benefits. Better than showing up at the mechanic, handing him $100 and driving off...
Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 PM
Instructor

Thats good to hear man, helps to reassure me that I can do it. I will have a buddy help give me a hand for sure with the bumper removal. What did you use to free up the space you needed, just a hammer?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:57 PM
New shoes on my

Yup, a ball peen hammer. You don't have to hammer it all that much. There are 2 pieces of sheet metal, one welded on the other. The bottom piece is slightly longer than the top piece. If you hammer it so the bottom pieces is the same length as the top, then you'll have plenty of clearance. I hope that makes sense. This of course is on my '08 and may be diffferent in your model year.

Also, one more tip. When you remove the stock intake, the very last piece, a U-shaped tube, is attached to the chassis with a vibramount under the battery tray. I tried for a half hour to unscrew that mount to get the tube out, but it's tight in there and couldn't fit any tools or anything there. Turns out that it's a U shaped mount on the tube, so with some leverage from a long screw driver, I eventually popped it off about 29 minutes faster than the unscrewing method which hadn't been working.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the input. As of right now that makes absolutely no sense but I am sure as soon as I get in there and start taking stuff apart it will make plenty of sense!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:49 PM
New shoes on my

lol...yeah, you'll see
Old 01-06-2009, 10:45 AM
"Like None Other"

mglax13,

what car did you buy ur V2 for? it is not for sale or the acura TL...
Old 01-06-2009, 04:27 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

03-07 accord v6 sedan
Old 01-06-2009, 10:13 PM
New shoes on my

03-07 accord v6 sedan
+1
Old 01-06-2009, 10:43 PM
"Like None Other"

^^^thanks fellas!
Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

i have a v2
Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Drifting

^^^ Did you remove the bumper? Or just the tire/wheel well
Old 01-22-2009, 12:14 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

first dude with it actually... i was the second only after seeing you props

that pic is def just the fenderliner peeled back
Old 01-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Drifting

Yeah I figured that. But I meant for install
Old 01-22-2009, 12:28 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Im amazed at how some can do this without removing the bumper. I still won't believe it till I see it done in front of me... I'm sure you scratch the fuck out of the CAI as your trying to maneuver that shit in there.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:59 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

Originally Posted by greco9885
^^^ Did you remove the bumper? Or just the tire/wheel well
yes i removed the bumper but not the whole thing just like half. if you look at the last pic you will see the fog light isnt up on the fliter and when the bumper is on it is on top of the fliter, if that makes any sence..
Old 01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
ON DA LOW CAR CLUB

first dude with it actually... i was the second only after seeing you props

that pic is def just the fenderliner peeled back
ty for the props but lets thank rudy more lol lol.. im still diein to see you car hahah

Quick Reply: Just got an AEM V2 now...help on LI