J&R Turbo 5AT TL Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 02:37 PM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
how bout hispeed u and bert go to the same track? and get some timeslips? i mean u guys don't gotta go at the same time/day but it would show some evidence. i agree with both sides of argument, however i do think auto will be more faster if it made the same hp(with trans loss) than a MT(with trans loss) or if the MT driver sucks at driving. my .02 cents since i will be F/I in the next couple of weeks as well!! TWIN TURBO here i come!!!

Last edited by tenzingsherpa; 11-28-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
nice numbers.

in for time slips of both AT and MT
Old 11-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by TLdream
That is completly untrue. I know i am chiming in a bit late, but with the same setup the manual trans car has proven to be faster in my case. These cars are not TL's but i will give a detailed breakdown. Two honda preludes, one 92 autos, one a 93 manual 4ws model. Same turbonetics bolt on turbo kit, same 8 psi boost level. Manual model made ~ 238 whp, auto made ~210 whp. Both cars were run at the track, the manual car ran 13.8 @101mph with 18inch wheels and street tires. The auto ran 14.1 at ~96mph with 15in wheels and street tires. I dont have the time slips in front of me, and this happend about years ago. But for a street car with stock auto trans, same setup/boost levels (not same power) From my experience the manual will be faster. When you get into built auto trans, and same power levels, the autos will be faster.

20hp does not equal 5mph trap difference. There were other factors that you're missing. And at barely 200hp the drivetrain loss might matter. At 400hp you're not going to see it.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tenzingsherpa
how bout hispeed u and bert go to the same track? and get some timeslips? i mean u guys don't gotta go at the same time/day but it would show some evidence. i agree with both sides of argument, however i do think auto will be more faster if it made the same hp(with trans loss) than a MT(with trans loss) or if the MT driver sucks at driving. my .02 cents since i will be F/I in the next couple of weeks as well!! TWIN TURBO here i come!!!
That's a theory but this auto vs manual has played out for decades. It's past the point of theory, we already know what happens. A few whp out of 400 is irrelevent. Getting off the line quicker and not having to lift on the shifts is very important.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
20hp does not equal 5mph trap difference. There were other factors that you're missing. And at barely 200hp the drivetrain loss might matter. At 400hp you're not going to see it.

Well im just stating facts from my previous experience. HP being equal i agree with you saying the auto will be faster/quicker. But you didnt say hp, with the setups being equal (same turbo/boost level) i think the manual will be faster.

major props to bert for actually taking his to the track.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:21 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
WAY more than 1-2 cars on an e46. Should pull an e92 on a roll fairly easily. HP-wise, he's putting to the wheels roughly what the e92 makes at the crank and some 40 more ft lbs torque to the wheels than the e92 makes at the crank. With the added weight of the turbo setup, the cars likely weigh roughly the same.
I believe he was referring to greco when he made this statement. Greco has a fully bolted auto type s.

I ran a e92 months ago when I first had the car with my old tune putting about 340 to the wheels. The other driver said he had the competition package with 460hp....if there is even such a thing. We did a 40 roll to 90 I believe and he pulled no more then 2 cars.

Originally Posted by Hi speed
Re read, I'm not talking about me verses Bert.

Bert, I just ordered my new data logger so we will see what timing looks like under boost.
I put 400 to the wheels with 10.2psi and meth with 15-16° of timing. But I do see low 11psi on the street.

Rodney put 479 to the wheels with 11.7psi no meth. Not sure of the timing but I think it was around 18°.

You 04 m/t guys have the advantage with a more aggressive timing curve from the factory. Post 04 m/t a little bit a of timing was pulled from the factory.

Looking forward to the numbers.

Originally Posted by KN_TL
Bert, too bad this thread couldn't stay on topic. Politics and arguments really take away from productive information exchange.

Anyway, I haven't done any serious data logging. Before it got too cold, I took my lower dash and center console out so I can install my Mac Mini. I'm still debating but I think I am going to get one of the Chinese knockoff HDS/HIM.

Have you been able to look at knock data going into the autoenginuity unit? I'm curious what it looks like.
I like watching people go back and forth. You can always learn something new.

The last time I used the autoenginiuty unit to monitor knock it wasnt registering any knock retard under full throttle. The data stream just stayed constant. But at the same time I was monitoring timing as well and the ecm wasnt pulling timing so I guess it wasnt knocking.

Theres also a few factors that could of been factored in as to why there was no knock.

I have not reset the ecm in a long time and its possible that the ecm has already learned a knock pattern and pulled timing along the way.

Im running a pretty big amount of pure meth. This is probably the biggest reason why there was no knock.

I am tempted to turn the meth off and do one run while monitoring knock to see what happens. I would also have to upload a different map and lower the boost so Im not running lean.

When I was trying out different tunes to get a good launch I was monitoring timing only. I did 3 pulls from a standstill right after each other. By the 3rd run the timing in 1st gear had dropped 4 or 5° from the first run. Its possible it was knocking but I cant tell for sure.

A while back before monitoring knock, I had reset the battery and did a run in 3rd gear while monitoring timing. I cant remember exactly but I think I saw 17° throughout the power band. Nowadays, I never see 17° anymore but like I said earlier, I have not reset the battery in months so its possible the ecm learned that pattern.

Its hard to find good reviews on the knockoff hds units. I too am tempted to buy one

So overall I dont know if the autoenginuity software can monitor the stock knock sensor.

Since Ive been playing around with the spr settings on the ebc, I need to re-tune the fuel map b.c im starting to run leaner each time I raise the spr. Ill reset the battery and monitor the knock sensor to see if I can get some readings.

Originally Posted by greco9885
i bet they werent 7k easy miles either! lol

btw, atco raceway has test and tune on the 4th, 5th, 11th, and 12th for december. it is about 2.5 hours away, but its a faster track than raceway park, my friend set the m6 record at that track. im down to go either day if u are

atco: 33ft
englishtown: 178ft
according to dragtimes
2.5 hours away is a long drive just to hit a track but It might be worth it. Ill let you know

He lives in cali and im in NY. Not gonna happen. It would be the ultimate shootout though.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Team Owner

Bert, I will seriously kick down some money for the turbo fund. I know how much time and money is involved and the info you've shared is going to help many others who go this route. In fact, it's probably going to help me out when I get around to it. Let me know if I can help out.

On topic, that's a pretty serious change in the timing between the auto and manual. You can make it work to your advantage by being able to run more boost than them without knock but I'm sure it's a little scary running into uncharged territory hp wise.

Also, about the 6mt and 5at hp numbers at almost the same boost, different timing.... I realize as numbers go up, the percent lost throught the drivetrain can go up with the extra friction involved, it doesn't stay constant but that number should stay pretty much constant between the 5at and 6mt. However the numbers are pretty far off. I still wonder if you're not blowing through your torque convertor. The amount of heat generated usually goes waaay up when this happens and I know yours is running pretty cool. Would you be open to swapping the convertor out at some point with one made for the power if I can hook it up?
Old 11-28-2010, 06:41 PM
18psi

Bert, I will seriously kick down some money for the turbo fund. I know how much time and money is involved and the info you've shared is going to help many others who go this route. In fact, it's probably going to help me out when I get around to it. Let me know if I can help out.

On topic, that's a pretty serious change in the timing between the auto and manual. You can make it work to your advantage by being able to run more boost than them without knock but I'm sure it's a little scary running into uncharged territory hp wise.

Also, about the 6mt and 5at hp numbers at almost the same boost, different timing.... I realize as numbers go up, the percent lost throught the drivetrain can go up with the extra friction involved, it doesn't stay constant but that number should stay pretty much constant between the 5at and 6mt. However the numbers are pretty far off. I still wonder if you're not blowing through your torque convertor. The amount of heat generated usually goes waaay up when this happens and I know yours is running pretty cool. Would you be open to swapping the convertor out at some point with one made for the power if I can hook it up?
I really dont need any money but I do appreciate it. My next upgrade if I choose to go with more power will be pistons and rods. Rodney has a set of custom pistons that he is putting into his car and wants to test before he offers them to us. He also doing some major motor work too.

I could be off a little bit on the timing for the m/t so I have to double check.

Like you said, I could up the boost to compensate for the lack of timing but anything over 400whp is really pushing into unknown territory with this car. Who knows, it could be a ticking time bomb right now...

I really like the idea of a higher stall converter. But I think its important to figure out how to powerbrake first with the stock converter and take it from there.

Im pretty happy with the way the car launches now. I really cant imagine what its like to leave the line with a few psi. I would have major wheel spin on street tires. Is stall speed related to how much psi it can make off the line? Can a stall of 2000 make the same boost as a 3000 stall?

Can you explain "blowing through the converter" ?

I was also reading about a lot of the drawbacks with a higher stall converter on a daily driver. Whats your opinion on that?
Old 11-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by libert69
I really dont need any money but I do appreciate it. My next upgrade if I choose to go with more power will be pistons and rods. Rodney has a set of custom pistons that he is putting into his car and wants to test before he offers them to us. He also doing some major motor work too.
That's awesome. Sounds like we'll be seeing some 600hp TLs in the future.
I could be off a little bit on the timing for the m/t so I have to double check.

Like you said, I could up the boost to compensate for the lack of timing but anything over 400whp is really pushing into unknown territory with this car. Who knows, it could be a ticking time bomb right now...
Very true. Plus at this point, the loss to the wheels is unknown.
I really like the idea of a higher stall converter. But I think its important to figure out how to powerbrake first with the stock converter and take it from there.
100% agreed. Powerbraking is more important than upgrading the convertor. You may find that you don't even need a higher stall.
Im pretty happy with the way the car launches now. I really cant imagine what its like to leave the line with a few psi. I would have major wheel spin on street tires. Is stall speed related to how much psi it can make off the line? Can a stall of 2000 make the same boost as a 3000 stall?
Stall speed is the stall rpm but yes, the purpose for more rpm is so the turbo can build more boost off the line. One of the nice things is the boost will be a little more linear instead of the off/on you probably see now. The throttle will be easier to modulate and the boost will go away quicker as you lift off the throttle.

The turbo has to have enough exhaust flow to hit full boost. The high stall convertor will hopefully get the rpms up enough to produce that boost. It would go on a turbo vs turbo basis. A 3.5L TL-S would be able to spool the same turbo at a lower rpm since it's making more exhaust.

It's not just about being able to make the boost but how easy you can make it. Just throwing numbers out there but say it takes full throttle to make 2psi on a 2,000 stall convertor, it may only take 1/2 throttle to make 5psi on a 2,800 stall. Boost will be easier to make.
Can you explain "blowing through the converter" ?
It's basically when you go from 10% or less slip to 20% or more. The convertor just can't hold the power and it becomes very inefficient just like a slipping clutch on a mt. Generally it will make somewhat normal hp up to a certain hp level and then the power increases won't be as much as they should be. I've seen guys throw a 200 shot of nitrous and pick up 45hp.
I was also reading about a lot of the drawbacks with a higher stall converter on a daily driver. Whats your opinion on that?
I like to keep it as conservative as possible. IMO, a 2,800 stall is as high as you can go with very few drawbacks on a DD. With this stall, it will behave mostly like a stock convertor until you put your foot into the throttle.

You will probably love it even without boost. It will make if feel as if the car has lost 1,000lbs.

I've run a 4,000 before and by the 2nd day I wanted to get it out of there. Drawbacks are typically heat and mpg.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:25 PM
18psi

Forgot to add, is it possible that the only reason I cant powerbrake is because the stall speed is so low? The highest rpm while datalogging is 2150. I would think even a low stall should allow atleast 1-2psi or even no vacuum. I only see -13 vac
Old 11-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Team Owner

Forgot to add, is it possible that the only reason I cant powerbrake is because the stall speed is so low? The highest rpm while datalogging is 2150. I would think even a low stall should allow atleast 1-2psi or even no vacuum. I only see -13 vac
It's definately the ECU. Turbo or not it should show 0 vacuum. You bring up a good point, I wonder what the stock convertor would stall at if you could go full throttle at the start. Who knows, it might not be that bad.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:48 PM
18psi

^I know the service manual says the stall is 2000 and Im seeing about 2150

I was reading something in regards to the converter...something along the lines of if your driving under full throttle and when the shift happens, if the rpms dont drop when going into the next gear then your blowing through the converter. Does that sound right?

If thats the case then I dont have a problem with the rpms.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:57 PM
Team Owner

^I know the service manual says the stall is 2000 and Im seeing about 2150

I was reading something in regards to the converter...something along the lines of if your driving under full throttle and when the shift happens, if the rpms dont drop when going into the next gear then your blowing through the converter. Does that sound right?

If thats the case then I dont have a problem with the rpms.
That's a common symption. Looking at your videos, everything has always looked fine especially how sharp the dropoffs are during shifts. The only other thing could be the ECU pulling throttle between shifts, taking the load off the convertor momentarily to hide any issues. But again, yours does not seem to show any of the normal signs, not even elevated fluid temps. This is one time I will be glad to be wrong.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I have to say, amazing work man ;-). I have 1 question tho, can you beat a 335i or xi (chipped)?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
^lol
Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Some of the 335's with JB3, meth, catless downpipes, and DC intakes are running close to 12 flat @ 115-118. I think OP's car is probably capable of trapping 115 but I don't know about the ET without slicks. Lot of variables here.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:17 PM
18psi

Originally Posted by vtec22
All I have to say, amazing work man ;-). I have 1 question tho, can you beat a 335i or xi (chipped)?
Not anymore since I just blew a piston lol

I have never run into a modded 335. I ran a stock 335 from 60-90 with my previous tune making about 340whp. I pulled about 3 cars.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
WTF happened???
Old 11-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Team Owner

Sorry this happened but were you monitoring knock? Broken piston ring lands is usually caused from detonation, not power.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 AM
Instructor

how is everyone getting traction? my 1st and 2nd gears just spins the tires
Old 12-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calvinnguy3n
how is everyone getting traction? my 1st and 2nd gears just spins the tires
what tires are u running? are u just flooring it? 6mt or 5at?
Old 12-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by greco9885
what tires are u running? are u just flooring it? 6mt or 5at?
yokohama es100s 245/45/17.
6mt
in 2nd gear if i floor it, it'll grab traction, but once i pass about ~4k then it'll just spin.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:22 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
I remember that well. Glad to hear the blower is working out well for you.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Without the cats the engine breathes so freely that the car pulls very hard without the boost.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:39 PM
TL-Stunna

Sick numbers dude. I'm very impressed. If you don't mind me asking, how much money and time did this project cost you? I'm interested but I don't know if I have the time for all the tuning that needs to be done in order for the car to run correctly because shes currently my daily driver. Anyway, your feed back would be much appreciated. If you don't want to discuss the finanncial aspect of it on this public board, could you pm me and fill me in. Thanks again and congrats on this.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:46 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calvinnguy3n
yokohama es100s 245/45/17.
6mt
in 2nd gear if i floor it, it'll grab traction, but once i pass about ~4k then it'll just spin.
those tires + street = spin.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:11 AM
2011 CR-Z EX 6spd Navi

That thing sounds nasty when it hits 4.5k-5k rpm
Old 12-16-2010, 11:41 AM
10th Gear

ummmm any forged internals possible? then higher boost ? :P
Old 12-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cardiostack908
ummmm any forged internals possible? then higher boost ? :P
Already being done in the turbo thread. Forged internals will only prolong the inevitable if the tune is not right.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:28 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
nice!

just an FYI, SpeedWorld's dyno reads a tad high (they dont turn on correction)... i used to pull my 3G TL's there

i actually made 294whp on my type-s 5AT with all bolt ons
Old 12-17-2010, 01:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
Already being done in the turbo thread. Forged internals will only prolong the inevitable if the tune is not right.
We can all agree the tune was not correct along with a few other factor ,such as fuel the car was setup for around 380-400 ,so theres a lot of factors and ill bet after turning up the spring pressure the tune had to be off ,but with a standalone ecu in testing im quite confident our knock concerns will be a thing of the pass, as the standalone will have the capability to adjust any parameter as needed , but im betting with the cold temperatures up by libert and increased psi at a steady hold that car was producing almost 430-450 whp on the street which indeed would have induced knock at that level, and fuel pressure lost as the fuel system was not setup for this but rest assure the next time libert visits the 400whp club hell be there in a safe manner with all necessary upgrade been addressed as we speak...
Old 12-17-2010, 02:51 AM
18psi

Originally Posted by pass427
We can all agree the tune was not correct along with a few other factor ,such as fuel the car was setup for around 380-400 ,so theres a lot of factors and ill bet after turning up the spring pressure the tune had to be off
Based off the 4 videos I took that night RIGHT before the misfires while I was toying with the crack pressure, the a/f NEVER went above 12.2 and stayed mostly in the high 11s. This was with 3 different wastegate crack pressure settings. 3.3, 5.0 and 8.0.

Turning the crack pressure up didnt affect the a/f nearly as much as I thought it would. Spool only increased a little bit and I was not seeing any spikes either. I bet once the crack pressure gets over 10.0 it would be a different story.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:32 PM
7th Gear

this is just pure sex I tell ya, but damn I wish i had the money to do this.

My mechanic told me TL-S are very complicated to F/I because of the compression or something..
Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rnguyen7
this is just pure sex I tell ya, but damn I wish i had the money to do this.

My mechanic told me TL-S are very complicated to F/I because of the compression or something..
TL-S has the same compression as the base model. High compression is not the best starting point for forced induction but with a good tune and lots of octane it's fine. All TLs are difficult because of lack of tuning options. Every day it seems like they get closer to having a good tuning option. "Pass427" is coming up with an awesome tuning option it looks like.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:34 PM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

^^ yup u i hear that. btw IHC, just curious, but what kindof octane would i need to run a decent amount of boost on my j-series engine with 11:1 or 10:1 CR? also IHC how do u feel about toulene? and mixing it in with premium gas?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Team Owner

^^ yup u i hear that. btw IHC, just curious, but what kindof octane would i need to run a decent amount of boost on my j-series engine with 11:1 or 10:1 CR? also IHC how do u feel about toulene? and mixing it in with premium gas?
I did toulene for a few years before the meth injection. I recommend the meth but if you do the mix, keep it under 30% or you will start having fuel system failures. I had a couple when I tried to get greedy. IMO, meth will pay for itself in just a couple months over toulene.

100 octane should get you a safe 12+psi on a stock TL. You could probably push it to 15psi, maybe a few more but the only way to know would be to monitor knock.

If you do a build and can lower the comp to 9:1 you will be able to push a solid 17psi on straight 91. On a stock J (if it could hold it) you're talking about 580-590whp with no other mods to the engine (cams/heads/etc).
Old 12-20-2010, 05:55 PM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

^^ nice bro, i wanted to hear ur take on it. yeah we shall see my twin turbo build is starting in a week or so, so i wanna get opinions on stuff to get ready to make sure my beast is a well oiled machine. thanks IHC
Old 12-20-2010, 07:00 PM
18psi

If you do a build and can lower the comp to 9:1 you will be able to push a solid 17psi on straight 91. On a stock J (if it could hold it) you're talking about 580-590whp with no other mods to the engine (cams/heads/etc).
Thats exactly why I went with 9:1 with the new pistons. 93 plus pure meth should provide me with ample detonation resistance assuming the tune is spot on (which it will be).

Now lets see how much psi it takes to make 420 to the wheels.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Team Owner

Thats exactly why I went with 9:1 with the new pistons. 93 plus pure meth should provide me with ample detonation resistance assuming the tune is spot on (which it will be).

Now lets see how much psi it takes to make 420 to the wheels.
Probably an extra psi to get back to where you were.

I'm glad you went that route. Now you have the option of running it on just 91 octane very safely with at least 450whp. You could run on 87 and make "only" 400hp.

It will feel a little more lazy on the bottom end but not too bad.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:37 PM
18psi

It will feel a little more lazy on the bottom end but not too bad.
With the new ecu, and the ability to tune closed loop and control timing much more effectively, we should be seeing better spool in the low rpms. I think this should more then make up for the loss of low end power....hopefully

Quick Reply: J&R Turbo 5AT TL Dyno