Installed new custom torque converter rebuilt by Dr.Evil, car is NOT moving.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 02:54 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed new custom torque converter rebuilt by Dr.Evil, car is NOT moving.

If anyone was checking my other engine swap thread, you would know that I am having problem with my transmission. The symptom here is that the engine runs fine, but the car won't move when put into gear (Reverse or Drive).

The transmission is a stock transmission with only 9k KM. The only thing that is changed is the custom torque converter rebuilt by Dr.Evil. The torque converter is NOT from a junk yard. I bought a brand new one from Acura for Dr.Evil to rebuild.

We took the transmission and torque converter out to double check and everything looked fine. We also used the scantools and it didn't return any trouble codes.

We put 1L of tranmission fluid into the torque converter before installing it back on the car. Once everything is bolted up we filled more transmission fluid through the dipstick hole. We started the car and went through all the gears which should allow the tranmission fluid to go into the torque converter and the tranmission. We then checked the dipstick again and it shows that there are too much tranmission fluid. It's obvious that there are not enough tranmission fluid, but it seems that the fluid won't go into the torque converter and the tranmission.

Does anyone know have any input on this? Would this be caused by a faulty torque converter? Or did we do something wrong when filling the tranmission fluid?
Old 01-06-2007, 03:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
#1. isn't there a transmission fluid fill bolt? i would try using that. although i dont see why that would matter.

#2. refer to my post about dr. evil

#3. put in your stock converter back and see what happens.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:13 PM
B A N N E D

We are going to put the stock torque converter back in on monday to see what happens. Hopfully it will be fine.

I am just worried that we did something wrong on filling the transmission fluid, but I don't see how we could screw that up as it should be very straight forward.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Suzuka Master

yup, it shouldnt matter. ive even heard of acura techs filling the fluid thru the dipstick. but try finding the filler bolt, im sure it has one.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:43 PM
B A N N E D

I found the fill hole for the transmission fluid, but would it make a difference between the fill hole and the dip stick hole? Anyone have experience?
Old 01-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Suzuka Master

well i hate to see you try and run the car with very little fluid. id be afraid of damaging your transmission. but you could try to pour another L in through the fill hole today and try to run it and see what happens?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:29 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Did I miss a thread? Why are you putting in a modified converter? Is it suppose to do something different like less tranny loss, LSD, etc?
Old 01-07-2007, 02:10 AM
Hondata > *

DO NOT OVERFILL!!! your axle seals will leak and you will need to replace it.

first of all, fill it based on the dipstick ONLY. not fill hole, thats for a manual trans.

do not overfill the top line. it needs to be EXACT on the top line. after each bit by bit filling, start car, run the gear, turn off, check.

but first, check these before ruling the TC as defective.

and if u're concerned with my experience, lets say i have an IPT highstall TC on my rsx auto, and an IPT fully built race trans. i've pulled and dropped the trans 3x for various things. its no fun.

i believe the problem stems from incorrect assembly, not the TC. did they bolt the flywheel back on?

if the problem was the TC, you would still be able to move the car, but u'll hear odd whining noises in the trans and/or the car would stall out when going into a moving gear. (R or D)
Old 01-07-2007, 02:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 06WDP-TL

i believe the problem stems from incorrect assembly, not the TC. did they bolt the flywheel back on?

i hope so.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:44 PM
B A N N E D

the main problem now is that the transmission fluid is not circulating. We poured in about 1L of transmission fluid after assembly. We checked the dipstick and it's showing that it's full. Knowing that 1L of fluid is definitely not enough, we started the car hoping to circulate the fluid into the torque converter and through the transmission. We then checked the dipstick again and it's still showing that it's full.

Would you guys think there might be something wrong with the ATF pump?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Hondata > *

read line #4 of that Helms cutout i posted above.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Hondata > *

Originally Posted by lookinco
the main problem now is that the transmission fluid is not circulating. We poured in about 1L of transmission fluid after assembly. We checked the dipstick and it's showing that it's full. Knowing that 1L of fluid is definitely not enough, we started the car hoping to circulate the fluid into the torque converter and through the transmission. We then checked the dipstick again and it's still showing that it's full.

Would you guys think there might be something wrong with the ATF pump?
how do rule out the trans fluid is not moving? even when you fill, the fluid doesnt FULLY circulate until you actually drive the car. the car WILL move on low fluid. i know mines did. i had an axle seal leak (overfilled ATF) and ATF was spilled all over the highway. i carefully ran the car on my daily routes until my shipment of Amosil ATF came in. i filled a whole 2 qts and some before the ATF was up to level.

when you shift around P-R-N-D, do you hear the clunking of the shift cable moving around? if not, the problem roots with improper shift cable adjustment. look in the helms to check the specifications on it.

if you DO hear the clunks, then when in D or R, do you hear a mechanical whine in the trans? if no, then its the TC and/or TC assembly. whoever installing the TC has to be careful when aligning it. forcing it in may cause pump bindage and failure.

check up on the TL Helms manual.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

there really was no reason for them to mess with the linkages, this place rebuilt his motor, i sure hope they know how to reinstall the tranny. if that's the case, id be worried about the shops competency, but it just may be an honest mistake.

but if its the torque converter, well, lets just say i wouldnt be suprised either because of my issues, but im also not entirely blaming it. anything is possible.

hopefully we get a response from lookinco tonight.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:30 PM
B A N N E D

As of right now, the car will not move no matter what gear i am in. When I shift through the gears I can feel no clunk or vibration or any sound at all. What I do notice is that whenever I shift from R to N or D to N the rpm of the engine will go up a bit.

We are in the process of putting the stock torque converter back in. We will know by tomorrow if the car will move with the stock torque converter.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Hondata > *

i may have used the term "shift linkages" incorrectly. i meant "shifter cables". when you remove the trans, you remove the shifter cable. when its improperly aligned or took much slack during reassembly, the shifter operation will not function right.

Gl with watever you do. and again, i do not believe its the TC just yet. you need to hear the clunking. so you'll know the Parking gear is disengaged. the P is an actual mechanical stop on the gear.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:38 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds almost like you didnt prime the torque converter prior to assembly.....(we always did this anyway?)
Old 01-09-2007, 12:42 PM
Hondata > *

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Sounds almost like you didnt prime the torque converter prior to assembly.....(we always did this anyway?)
that is also a likely cause. priming the TC will basically fill most of the needed ATF up.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:45 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Oooooohhhhhh....hmmmmmm

I think I may have gotten to something there.....did you prime the torque converter on reinstall or not?
Old 01-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts
Oooooohhhhhh....hmmmmmm

I think I may have gotten to something there.....did you prime the torque converter on reinstall or not?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:36 AM
B A N N E D

Well I was not the one who installed it so I am not sure if he primed it or not. However I did ask if he filled the torque converter with ATF and he said he did. Is that the same thing as priming? I am not too familiar with tranny work.

One thing we noticed is that the rebuilt TC turn much easier than then stock one.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:40 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Well I was not the one who installed it so I am not sure if he primed it or not. However I did ask if he filled the torque converter with ATF and he said he did. Is that the same thing as priming? I am not too familiar with tranny work.

One thing we noticed is that the rebuilt TC turn much easier than then stock one.
Yes...prefilling the torque converter and priming are the same thing. Think.....priming the pump! So yes...if he said he did that....this is not your problem then and would partially equate why you added so little fluid from the get go.....some of it was already in there.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Hondata > *

part of a high-stall TC is that the bearings are loosened up. resulting in more spinnage and RPMs will climb up a lot faster than stock. you will notice this if u ever get it running. rpms will climb with ease.

but, if its TOO much play, then could be the TC. Are you installing a whole new transmission built from Dr. Evil or just the TC?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 AM
B A N N E D

I am installing just the TC built from Dr.Evil. As of right now we have the stock TC back in and will know if the car is running today.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:20 AM
Suzuka Master

any luck?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:30 AM
B A N N E D

NOPE.....this is getting frustrating. I haven't had a chance to check the car out yet...but the installer told me that the car IS moving. However he thinks that it's because of the orignal fluid that used to be inside the stock torque converter. Also it seems like there is forward only and no reverse.

He haven't had a chancce to try driving it as the car is still on the hoist. Tomorrow he will be able to test it on when the car is back on the ground.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Hondata > *

he could've not plugged all the shift solenoid plugs in on the tranny. the wire harness has plugs that connect on various solenoids on the tranny. tell him to make sure they're plugged in the right spots.

this is clearly install/assembly error.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Hondata > *

hmm....dont you have a different bottom end? the 3.5L

could it be possible that a different flywheel was used?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Suzuka Master

the flywheel should have nothing to do with the 3.5, he put all the 3.5 internals into his TL block.

check your neutral safety switch, this was the only thing to give me problems upon reinstall of everything. it was almost like the car did not know what gear it was in.

#27 in the picture.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:45 PM
B A N N E D

Okay guess what, we put the stock torque converter and it's STILL not working. Same problem, tranny fluid won't go in. There is only a total of 4L in the tranny and anymore we tried to put in it won't go in.

The car will now move lightly foward and that's it.

Any idea what's going on?

We didn't take apart the tranny so everything internal was left untouched.

Is there anyway to put the tranny fluid in? Would draining the old fluiding and putting new fluid help?

The installer said we might need a new tranny, but I don't see how the tranny i have broke itself. It was working perfectly fine before the engine swap.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:33 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Maybe this is a stupid remark (as I am not an internals engine kinda guy) but are you CERTAIN this is a TRANNY issue? Maybe something went afoul with the engine itself? Busted crank, linkage, etc?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:48 PM
B A N N E D

Well the engine itself for sure is running fine. The installer have taken apart the tranny and reinstall it for a total of 3 times already, so I hope he better did install it right.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I think you mentioned that you installed a new trans cooler too, right ??? If so, perhaps the trans cooler or the lines leading to the cooler have a blockage that is preventing the flow of tranny fluid.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:35 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Weird....now he is telling you it needs a whole new tranny? WOW. Ask him if hes checked the air in the tires lately or the proton jubilator valve...or maybe the muffler bearing needs lubed. Geez....one clueless place to another huh! Like you said....it worked before!
Old 01-12-2007, 12:41 AM
B A N N E D

We haven't put in the tranny cooler yet, so that shouldn't be the problem
Old 01-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Hondata > *

Weird....now he is telling you it needs a whole new tranny? WOW. Ask him if hes checked the air in the tires lately or the proton jubilator valve...or maybe the muffler bearing needs lubed. Geez....one clueless place to another huh! Like you said....it worked before!

ROFL!!!!

like i said from the beginning, install error. its clear now. You should stop listening to your mechanic. Its clearly not your tranny as it worked before.

he's using the 3.5L fly, but is this with the 3.2 TC and trans? not sure if theres a compatiblity issue there.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Suzuka Master

he should be using his stock flywheel.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:20 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Sounds like another angle to consider 06WDL-TL!
Old 01-12-2007, 02:57 PM
B A N N E D

we are using the stock flywheel. All that is changed is the 3.5 Crankshaft + rods and CL TypeS piston.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:58 AM
Pro

Any new progress here? is the car moving and cycling through its gears yet?
Good luck, Lookinco
Old 01-15-2007, 03:25 PM
B A N N E D

I towed the car to another mechanic and he did some test on the transmission. He found that the ECU is communicating correctly with the tranny, so it shoudn't be wiring error. After some pressure test and such, the problem is that no oil is circulating in the tranny. He suspect that it's problem with the internals and would have to take the tranny apart to diagnose.

he suggested that easiest and fastest way would be to get a used one. It might be cheaper to just get a used one as the labour to take the tranny apart and the cost of broken parts might get very expensive.

I have already located a 06 tranny with only 10000 km for $1400. I might just go ahead and get the used one.

Quick Reply: Installed new custom torque converter rebuilt by Dr.Evil, car is NOT moving.