Installed CAI on 07 TYPE S ..

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007 | 11:18 AM
Advanced

Installed CAI on 07 TYPE S ..

Well Its done ..I installed my AEM CAI yesterday on my 07 TYPE S ... it was not that bad at all , I also figured away to use the stock hose on the T/B and just re routed it so i didnt even need there hose it made things a lil easier ..the hardest thing was def getting the stock air silencer out of the fender well , the one bolt was a pain in the ASSSSSS !!!! Now as for performance I have to be honest , in my honest opinion it does more for sound then performance And i cant help but wonder if so many people that do this mod mistake the new growl for performance ??? It DeF. sounds way better it does NOTHING for low end or mid range power , I didnt get to the highway yet to really feel the top end of the car but i will let you know sometime in the next few days .. I would expect at the track you would be lucky to see a tenth , i know some will argue but again i believe people are mistaking the sound for power .....all in all I would do the mod for the sound alone and the very minimal gain you do get if any on the top end will be nice ,Plus it looks nicer in the engine bay and cleans it up a lil ....
Old 04-16-2007 | 01:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Chriscapo
Well Its done ..I installed my AEM CAI yesterday on my 07 TYPE S ... it was not that bad at all , I also figured away to use the stock hose on the T/B and just re routed it so i didnt even need there hose it made things a lil easier ..the hardest thing was def getting the stock air silencer out of the fender well , the one bolt was a pain in the ASSSSSS !!!! Now as for performance I have to be honest , in my honest opinion it does more for sound then performance And i cant help but wonder if so many people that do this mod mistake the new growl for performance ??? It DeF. sounds way better it does NOTHING for low end or mid range power , I didnt get to the highway yet to really feel the top end of the car but i will let you know sometime in the next few days .. I would expect at the track you would be lucky to see a tenth , i know some will argue but again i believe people are mistaking the sound for power .....all in all I would do the mod for the sound alone and the very minimal gain you do get if any on the top end will be nice ,Plus it looks nicer in the engine bay and cleans it up a lil ....
You will notice more of a hp gain in the top end. It is a worthwhile mod.
Old 04-16-2007 | 02:52 PM
Advanced

Cool ... Im hoping Its way to wet now to try ...
Old 04-16-2007 | 05:30 PM
Advanced

Wow You sure do notice the T/B opening when u get on it for that split second esc if the windows are down and you are in between cars you hear a LOUD swoooosh for a split secong , I also notice the same type of sound when You shut the car off ... If you open the door or the windows then shut the car off listen to the noise it makes
Old 04-17-2007 | 12:40 PM
Advanced

Wow Its aloud louder when you stomp on it ..... I still believe people are mistaking the sound for power however .... Ill be testing top end later today
Old 04-17-2007 | 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Wow Its aloud louder when you stomp on it ..... I still believe people are mistaking the sound for power however .... Ill be testing top end later today
Look at the dynos. Go to www.aempower.com and look up an 04 Acura TL and look at the performance data. It's about 15whp.
Old 04-17-2007 | 09:39 PM
Advanced

Im sure you know enough about cars to know that you can BARELY If at all feel 15 Hp ...
Old 04-18-2007 | 11:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Im sure you know enough about cars to know that you can BARELY If at all feel 15 Hp ...
You won't be able to notice 5 whp but you will notice 15whp.
Old 04-18-2007 | 12:53 PM
Racer

where did you get the CAI?????? i have an 07 TL Type-S, and i want to get a CAI, but i want to be sure the one i get will fit. i've heard the CAI's for 04-06's will work, but i just want to be 100% sure. a part # would be perfect.
Old 04-18-2007 | 12:55 PM
2007 TL Type-S

You might want to give AEM a call. They are currently testing a Tl-S specific CAI.
Old 04-18-2007 | 12:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by george3761
You might want to give AEM a call. They are currently testing a Tl-S specific CAI.
yeah, i've read mixed answers about AEM's replies to a CAI that will fit the 07's.
Old 04-18-2007 | 02:36 PM
2007 TL Type-S

Chriscapo installed the AEM on his TL-S. PM him.
Old 04-18-2007 | 03:16 PM
peemp

Originally Posted by gunner252
yeah, i've read mixed answers about AEM's replies to a CAI that will fit the 07's.
Which '07, the TL or TLS? Perhaps thats why the answers are mixed.
Old 04-18-2007 | 03:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by octl
Which '07, the TL or TLS? Perhaps thats why the answers are mixed.
mostly the TL-S, but i've read that AEM won't/cant guarantee that the 04-06 CAI will work on the 07's. i just want one person to let me know the part # they used on their TL-S for the AEM CAI. if it's the 21-513 or whatever.
Old 04-19-2007 | 09:27 AM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

My TL-S now activates the traction control in first gear with the 5AT... it used to never do that unless it was a slick surface...

I KNOW I gained power, and I feel it. Awesome mod.
Old 04-19-2007 | 01:44 PM
Advanced

That fine i disagree tho I think it does more for sound then performance Ill know for sure by the end of the week If what im saying is true because Ill be going to the track so we shall see ..... also by u saying you "activate the traction control more just because of a cold air intake really makes much sense at all ..it is a mod for top end power I am willing to bet that your 60 foot times did not change one bit ....
Old 04-19-2007 | 02:30 PM
Burning Brakes

OMG, an honest opinion from someone that a mod might not work as advertised Just like the G35, I'm fairly certain that the TL/TL-S intake is already pretty optimal when it comes to flow. I'm sure it's ugly, looks restrictive, and is pretty quiet, but it's flow characteristics probably exceed that of the motor. Intakes on G35s/Zs are nothing more than noise makers and it sounds like the TL-S intake is no different.

As for the guy that believes AEM's own dynos of 15whp from an intake, buyer beware of manufacturers dynos. Trust the 3rd part dynos.
Old 04-19-2007 | 02:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dave_B
OMG, an honest opinion from someone that a mod might not work as advertised Just like the G35, I'm fairly certain that the TL/TL-S intake is already pretty optimal when it comes to flow. I'm sure it's ugly, looks restrictive, and is pretty quiet, but it's flow characteristics probably exceed that of the motor. Intakes on G35s/Zs are nothing more than noise makers and it sounds like the TL-S intake is no different.

As for the guy that believes AEM's own dynos of 15whp from an intake, buyer beware of manufacturers dynos. Trust the 3rd part dynos.

on that dyno part, i've dyno'd stock, and after i get my intake (aem) i'll dyno again & i can post results. i know it'll only be ONE case, but at least it'll give an idea of actual gains.
Old 04-19-2007 | 03:30 PM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

That fine i disagree tho I think it does more for sound then performance Ill know for sure by the end of the week If what im saying is true because Ill be going to the track so we shall see ..... also by u saying you "activate the traction control more just because of a cold air intake really makes much sense at all ..it is a mod for top end power I am willing to bet that your 60 foot times did not change one bit ....
If it didn't gain power, then why would TCS come on, when it didn't before?

That, and people that ride with me also noticed. Hell, even my wife who is the most non-car person out there notice the power increase, but she DIDNT notice the sound increase... lol
Old 04-19-2007 | 04:54 PM
Feenin on some 20's

^^ how can you not notice a sound increase of the intake, haha... it's fairly loud compared to stock.. it roars when i WOT in tunnels.
Old 04-20-2007 | 12:22 AM
Advanced

Look Im 32 yrs old not 18 looking for an arguement on a board , I believe what you say Im not calling you a liar or anything like that Im just saying that I believe with all my years of experience working on cars ,12 plus in the performance area, I know for a fact that people mistake power with sound . Maybe your traction is kicking on because its wet there or the road is a lil slicker or you are on the pianted lines or a man hole it has nothing to do with a AEM CAI on a bone stock type s , go to the track with your car and compare 60 foot times I ll be doing it real soon so ill let everyone know ... Im not knocking the mod I would do it for the sound alone ... However I am willing to bet that it is does minimal if any in the power dept. Im willing to bet that a k&N air filter in the stock panel will produce= amounts of H/P then a CAI ...
Old 04-20-2007 | 12:24 AM
Advanced

Ya I have a lot of people hating me rite now but facts are the facts ... Its def more of a noise maker albeit a way better one then stock , just a 225 $ noise maker ..LOL
Old 04-20-2007 | 07:58 AM
Intermediate

I just bought one for my TL-S and I know I personally did it for the sound (any perf. gains are a bonus). When I get out of my Evo and into the TL I can't hear the car... it's throwing me off!
Old 04-20-2007 | 08:14 AM
THE PLANE TAKES OFF!!!!!

Look Im 32 yrs old not 18 looking for an arguement on a board , I believe what you say Im not calling you a liar or anything like that Im just saying that I believe with all my years of experience working on cars ,12 plus in the performance area, I know for a fact that people mistake power with sound . Maybe your traction is kicking on because its wet there or the road is a lil slicker or you are on the pianted lines or a man hole it has nothing to do with a AEM CAI on a bone stock type s , go to the track with your car and compare 60 foot times I ll be doing it real soon so ill let everyone know ... Im not knocking the mod I would do it for the sound alone ... However I am willing to bet that it is does minimal if any in the power dept. Im willing to bet that a k&N air filter in the stock panel will produce= amounts of H/P then a CAI ...
Nope... no wet pavement, no man hole covers... just more power. You said you're not calling me a liar... but you think I'm "mistaking" it, which I'm not. In a 3rd gear pull at around 70MPH, there's also a noticable gain.
Old 04-20-2007 | 09:14 AM
Suzuka Master

theres a sticky at the top of this forum w/ a third part dyno

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/test-drove-new-tl-116606/

these clearly show the gains. end of story.
Old 04-20-2007 | 02:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Converted
Nope... no wet pavement, no man hole covers... just more power. You said you're not calling me a liar... but you think I'm "mistaking" it, which I'm not. In a 3rd gear pull at around 70MPH, there's also a noticable gain.
Some days under the same conditions outside and street surface my G35 will lay 5 feet of rubber then hook. Some other days it will spin the tires through most of 1st with me having to modulate the throttle to keep the forward momentum and keep the car fairly straight. No additonal mods were added to the car either. As I've learned with all my cars, wheel spin is not an indicator of power in the least. My old stock 106hp 90 CRX Si was capable of spinning the tires hard on the 1-2 shift and chirping the tires into 3rd on occasion and I'm pretty sure that was a low 16 second car.
Old 04-20-2007 | 02:45 PM
Burning Brakes

I've modified my G35 intake with a 350Z intake pipe, sealed off the lower airbox resonator and opened up what they call the "Power Duct" on the airbox. The induction noise matches that of most any aftermarket intake on the market for the VQ. I know my car isn't quicker, but it finally sounds like it has some balls. When going WOT, the car certainly sounds like the car is faster....
Old 04-22-2007 | 11:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CleanCL
theres a sticky at the top of this forum w/ a third part dyno

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116606

these clearly show the gains. end of story.

Thank you CleanCL.

Dude, you can't say it doesn't make any difference unless you dyno your car before and after. It has been proven that there is a gain in HP after the install.
Old 04-22-2007 | 12:45 PM
Advanced

DUDE!!! I never once said it didnt make a difference on a dyno , I said YOU or I cant feel it!!!!!! AGAIN , anyone with Some experince with cars knows you CAN NOT see "not" feel SEEEEE """"FEEL"""" 15 hp .... fifteen ..ONE FIVE ... Do you honestly believe that you can feel 15 hp?? if you can then you are in the wrong proffesion ...
Old 04-22-2007 | 12:46 PM
Advanced

O and by the way I did something just as good as a dyno I took my car to the track before and after .... 60 foot times are the SAMEEEEEEEEEEEE see "SAME" as in they are EQUAL hows that for end of story??
Old 04-22-2007 | 01:01 PM
Racer

i dont think you can be rational, and expect a CAI to improve your 60 ft/track time. a CAI may give you more HP, but in a track situation, you have to figure in weight of the car, etc. just throwing a car on a dyno shows the HP/torque you're putting down. it doesnt figure in "all" variables. plus, using your 60 ft time to show that a CAI does/doesnt make more gains, is a bad example. were your reaction times the same? that plays a part in your 60 ft times too.
Old 04-23-2007 | 12:13 PM
RAR

I felt a difference, the car definitely pulls harder. The OEM intake is probably optimized for long term durability and maintenance. They probably design it from a filter cleaning & maintenance perspective, plus it avoids issues such as hydrolocking, and unwanted engine noises (which acura probably doesnt want)
Old 04-23-2007 | 12:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by george3761
We should actually be picking one up today.
Old 04-23-2007 | 12:26 PM
Cruisin'

i dont think you can be rational, and expect a CAI to improve your 60 ft/track time. a CAI may give you more HP, but in a track situation, you have to figure in weight of the car, etc. just throwing a car on a dyno shows the HP/torque you're putting down. it doesnt figure in "all" variables. plus, using your 60 ft time to show that a CAI does/doesnt make more gains, is a bad example.
Old 04-23-2007 | 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

plus, using your 60 ft time to show that a CAI does/doesnt make more gains, is a bad example. were your reaction times the same? that plays a part in your 60 ft times too.
Absolutely not. You could have a 24-hour reaction time and as long as you didn't break the timer beam, the clock doesn't start. You could basically run a 14.4 with 2.0 60' and a 24-hour reaction time.
Old 04-23-2007 | 01:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leedogg
I felt a difference, the car definitely pulls harder. The OEM intake is probably optimized for long term durability and maintenance. They probably design it from a filter cleaning & maintenance perspective, plus it avoids issues such as hydrolocking, and unwanted engine noises (which acura probably doesnt want)
The stock intake is designed to deliver the best overall powerband and to supress noise. Just because it's relatively quiet and ugly doesn't mean it's restrictive. Acura, BMW, whoever, spend a lot of money in R&D to get the stock intakes to perform optimally. The OEM plastic piping is also far less prone to heat soak.

Additonal noise and vibration easily fools the old butt dyno into thinking you're going a quicker than you really are. To gain 15whp from an intake is laughable, especially on a car like Honda's performance model TL-S. The intake might gain 2 to 4hp on various portions along the upper portions powercurve, but it's not going to do much of anything for the 1/4 mile.
Old 04-23-2007 | 01:49 PM
Cruisin'

The stock intake is designed to deliver the best overall powerband and to supress noise. Just because it's relatively quiet and ugly doesn't mean it's restrictive. Acura, BMW, whoever, spend a lot of money in R&D to get the stock intakes to perform optimally. The OEM plastic piping is also far less prone to heat soak.

Additonal noise and vibration easily fools the old butt dyno into thinking you're going a quicker than you really are. To gain 15whp from an intake is laughable, especially on a car like Honda's performance model TL-S. The intake might gain 2 to 4hp on various portions along the upper portions powercurve, but it's not going to do much of anything for the 1/4 mile.
It's fairly easy to grasp the general statements in your first statement. Every OEM has NVH standards and must design or source parts that work within the specifications. Sacrificing power for a loud resonance usually happens. As far as plastics go, there are too many factors to consider with fillers and processes to say that how much affect heat soak will play.

As an owner of a 350Z I can attest to your second statement. The VQ is the most unresponsive vehicle I've seen to modifications. The ECU strategy doesn't warrant it. I'd make 5HP designing an intake to have the ECU relearn and compensate to go back to 0 gain. However Acura/Honda's that are not MAF based seem to respond very well to modifications, especially on the intake side. 15HP is not unreasonable.

As far as quarter mile times go, they are all different as stated above. Too many variables, but I have had a stock 2006 Hemi Charger knock off 3/10's at the track after installing an intake system. These were before and after runs on the same day in 90 degree 90% humidity.
Old 04-23-2007 | 03:22 PM
Racer

Absolutely not. You could have a 24-hour reaction time and as long as you didn't break the timer beam, the clock doesn't start. You could basically run a 14.4 with 2.0 60' and a 24-hour reaction time.
good point. but still... saying that a CAI doesnt give any gains because your 60ft time hasnt increased, isnt completely accurate.
Old 04-23-2007 | 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

just because an intake didnt lower YOUR *****YOOOOUUURR***** 60ft time, doesnt mean the intake did nothing. the driver will make or break that. now i bet you are ready to drop the "age" lecture about your driving experience.
Old 04-26-2007 | 11:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AEM Tech
It's fairly easy to grasp the general statements in your first statement. Every OEM has NVH standards and must design or source parts that work within the specifications. Sacrificing power for a loud resonance usually happens. As far as plastics go, there are too many factors to consider with fillers and processes to say that how much affect heat soak will play.

As an owner of a 350Z I can attest to your second statement. The VQ is the most unresponsive vehicle I've seen to modifications. The ECU strategy doesn't warrant it. I'd make 5HP designing an intake to have the ECU relearn and compensate to go back to 0 gain. However Acura/Honda's that are not MAF based seem to respond very well to modifications, especially on the intake side. 15HP is not unreasonable.

As far as quarter mile times go, they are all different as stated above. Too many variables, but I have had a stock 2006 Hemi Charger knock off 3/10's at the track after installing an intake system. These were before and after runs on the same day in 90 degree 90% humidity.
Thats why i have ordered the Technosquare ECU reflash for my 04 Z because only then will the mods be used optimally

Quick Reply: Installed CAI on 07 TYPE S ..