Installed AEM CAI and UR Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:29 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Installed AEM CAI and UR Pulley

I just installed these two mods yesterday. I just love how it screams in upper RPM bands. I am really not sure if I gained hp out of them (probably did some), but the car sure feels a lot lighter than the stock form.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:23 PM
JDM Laser Fogs!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds good man. Gonna do the AEM CAI summer
Old 05-24-2006, 12:55 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by brownie
Sounds good man. Gonna do the AEM CAI summer
Dude. . you are gonna love it. Do not wait till summer. Do it tomorrow, lol.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:00 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet! Sounds way better than stock imho. My guess is you've gained probably about 10-15 hp, about a 3-5% gain over stock. It takes back to back driving with at least a 10% hp increase in between runs to actually 'feel' it going faster, but it is!
Old 05-25-2006, 12:21 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by JOES05tl
Sweet! Sounds way better than stock imho. My guess is you've gained probably about 10-15 hp, about a 3-5% gain over stock. It takes back to back driving with at least a 10% hp increase in between runs to actually 'feel' it going faster, but it is!
I see I see.

One question though, it's been 3 days after putting CAI and pulley, and somehow, day by day, the car feels like it's pulling harder and harder. Why is that? Am I just talking stupid again?

Btw, I was surprised how heavy the stock pulley was compare to the UR one.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:17 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JS + TL
I see I see.

One question though, it's been 3 days after putting CAI and pulley, and somehow, day by day, the car feels like it's pulling harder and harder. Why is that? Am I just talking stupid again?

Btw, I was surprised how heavy the stock pulley was compare to the UR one.
Youre ECU is learning how to function with the different mods... it will get better over the few times after you do an install but then it levels out....

Did you do the pulley yourself? I am looking to do it and was wondering how hard it would be for me....
Old 05-25-2006, 06:00 PM
Pro

yeah, jmbnova's right. Didn't it even say something in the install instructions for the crank pulley about taking a week till 'optimum performance'. Yeah, at approximately$20.00 per horsepower, thats a good 'thrifty' power-adder combo.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:13 PM
TL Loverrrrrrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dumb question: what is an UR Pulley? I just bought the AEM CAI from ebay, gonna install it soon once I read up on installation thread.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by waacow
dumb question: what is an UR Pulley? I just bought the AEM CAI from ebay, gonna install it soon once I read up on installation thread.
The UR pulley is an underdrive crank pulley which is lighter in weight and slightly underdrives the accessories. It will help the car rev out quicker. If you need one PM me or look here: https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/unorthodox-racing-special-pricing-event-acura-cl-tl-rl-mdx-tsx-301566/
Old 05-26-2006, 12:39 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by jmbnova
Youre ECU is learning how to function with the different mods... it will get better over the few times after you do an install but then it levels out....

Did you do the pulley yourself? I am looking to do it and was wondering how hard it would be for me....
Dude. . . . for the pulley, just take it to the shop. You will probably not be able to it by yourself. It's extremely hard to untwist the stock pulley out. My shop took about 25 minutes to do the whole pulley thing.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:46 PM
I drive a Subata.

Yesterday, I wanted to see how fast my car really is now. So, I called up my friend who has the stock TL and raced him on the freeway. (After midnight no cars at all, still sorry about street racing ). We were both on the phone using the Bluetooth, and I told him to floor it first. He did, and I floored it right after.

Guess what. . . . . .

I caught up on him within about 1 sec, and then I was just continuously pulling away from him 70-120. We both were so surprised by how faster my car was compare to the stock TL. Before the race, I didn't really believe in actually gains. (My first performace mods in my life, lol.)

I recommend AEM CAI and UR Pulley to everyone in this forum!
Old 05-26-2006, 01:00 PM
I drive a Subata.

I forgot to ask question again!

When I was racing last night, "I think", I heard some crazy rattles from the engine bay. I first thought it was the CAI. I don't know how to describe the sound, but it was pretty loud. Should I go back to the shop and maybe tighten all the screws to make sure the CAI doesn't get popped up during high speed driving?
Old 05-26-2006, 02:24 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Yesterday, I wanted to see how fast my car really is now. So, I called up my friend who has the stock TL and raced him on the freeway. (After midnight no cars at all, still sorry about street racing ). We were both on the phone using the Bluetooth, and I told him to floor it first. He did, and I floored it right after.

Guess what. . . . . .

I caught up on him within about 1 sec, and then I was just continuously pulling away from him 70-120. We both were so surprised by how faster my car was compare to the stock TL. Before the race, I didn't really believe in actually gains. (My first performace mods in my life, lol.)

How many car lengths were you able to pull away??? I am assumming your friends car is a 5AT too??
Old 05-26-2006, 02:43 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by ed99
How many car lengths were you able to pull away??? I am assumming your friends car is a 5AT too??

Yes, my friends car is a 5AT also.

Hmm.. 70-115 about 3 car lengths. (He did floored it first)
Old 05-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Team Athracite Physician

Since you're in Anaheim and I'm down the street in Cerritos, what shop did you use for the install? Did you buy the parts there too or just have them install the parts? How much?

I'm sure you've sold a lot of us now
Old 05-27-2006, 12:08 AM
Intermediate

before everyone goes crazy with these pullies, you might want to see if the stock one uses a harmonic dampner, if it does, and youve replaced it with a paper weight you could seriously fuck up your engine for a few horses. a lot to risk...
Old 05-27-2006, 12:29 AM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Originally Posted by 6pdtlinKC
before everyone goes crazy with these pullies, you might want to see if the stock one uses a harmonic dampner, if it does, and youve replaced it with a paper weight you could seriously fuck up your engine for a few horses. a lot to risk...

Do or can the UR pulley's come with a harmonic dampner???
Old 05-27-2006, 01:41 AM
Instructor

I have the pulley on my TL, I have no idea what a harmonic dampner is. To me it sounds like something that should come out of my 5.1 surround sound. But, I'm probably wrong. What I do know is that the parts manager at the Acura dealer suggested the UR pulley for increased response and power. He didn't mention any negative effects.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:48 AM
I drive a Subata.

Search the forum . . that issue has been brought up couple times, and it is not gonna fuck up your engine.

Dude, the UR company is the best in producing pulleys. Do you think this kind of company would produce something that would fuck up the engine?
Old 05-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Yeah, this issue has been brought up many times. The TL pulley does not use harmonic damper! Those that have remove them can vouche that there aren't any rubber components on the pulley.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:41 AM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by colossus
Since you're in Anaheim and I'm down the street in Cerritos, what shop did you use for the install? Did you buy the parts there too or just have them install the parts? How much?

I'm sure you've sold a lot of us now

PMed you for the information.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:14 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

I really want to do this mod. But just by reading some post due to removal of the Dampner can screw up your engine down the road. Is this true or just total BS??? Everyone seems to have a different answer here. Can someone confirm that who is an expert in Engine Mods??
Old 05-27-2006, 05:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
I really want to do this mod. But just by reading some post due to removal of the Dampner can screw up your engine down the road. Is this true or just total BS??? Everyone seems to have a different answer here. Can someone confirm that who is an expert in Engine Mods??
im no expert,but weve had them on our cars for four years with no adverse effects and have done multiple oil ananlisis' with no sign of trouble the tortional vibration dampener/harmonic vibration dampener's primary effect in our car is to reduce cabing noise...
Old 05-28-2006, 02:43 AM
I drive a Subata.

I am pretty sure you'll be fine. Do this mod!
Old 05-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

so it does have one or not? because if it does, i can assure you, its not for "cabin noise". thats why we have engine mounts. (that are really soft). a harmonic dampner is used to effectively balance the engines cycles between cylinder combustion. sort of "smoothing" the engine because some cylinders create vibrations that can screw your whole engine up, so they make the tortional dampner to reduce this for a better operating engine. (i tried to shorten that and simplify as much as possible).

there are a few company's that actually make aftermarket pullies with the dampner.
UR is not one of them. dont be so quick to throw your money and your trust at companys that just want your money. chances are, most people that remove their dampner and replace it will be fine. for now that is. untill 100,000 miles down the road.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:15 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

so it does have one or not? because if it does, i can assure you, its not for "cabin noise". thats why we have engine mounts. (that are really soft). a harmonic dampner is used to effectively balance the engines cycles between cylinder combustion. sort of "smoothing" the engine because some cylinders create vibrations that can screw your whole engine up, so they make the tortional dampner to reduce this for a better operating engine. (i tried to shorten that and simplify as much as possible).

there are a few company's that actually make aftermarket pullies with the dampner.
UR is not one of them. dont be so quick to throw your money and your trust at companys that just want your money. chances are, most people that remove their dampner and replace it will be fine. for now that is. untill 100,000 miles down the road.
So do you know any other company's that make after market pullies with the dampner for our 3GEN TL??
Old 05-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Dr. Feelgood

so it does have one or not? because if it does, i can assure you, its not for "cabin noise".

No. It does not.

untill 100,000 miles down the road.
I'll let you know in 5 years if I still own the car.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

He's right. If the pulley also acts as a harmonic balancer (or damper), you DO NOT want to replace it with lightweight pulley. I installed a UR (Unorthodox Racing for those who don't know what "UR" means) UDP (Under Drive Pulley) on my last car.. a 2002 Altima SE. The VQ 6 in that car is internally balanced (so they say) so a lighter pulley is not suppose to cause any concerns. It was good for a 6.5 HP and a 3 ft/lb gain in torque. Just slightly noticable... mostly in second gear. One thing it did was to squeak. The VQ Nissan engine as installed in the 2002 Altima SE did not have a tensioner, but the TL does, so that helps.

Lastly, as I recall, the TL crankshaft pulley bolt takes 180 lb/ft of torque for the install, so it is going to be a bear removing and installing.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

dont be so quick to throw your money and your trust at companys that just want your money. chances are, most people that remove their dampner and replace it will be fine. for now that is. untill 100,000 miles down the road.
quick? CL 's have them going with 100K miles and not one reported issue ...my car was bone stock so i cant say with authority, and i also didnt have over 500 passes at the track with mine either ,nor was my car stroked using the crank from the '02 oddessey
Old 05-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Black/Black

This is a great mod that i am looking to do....

Did you have to change your belt to a shorter one to accomodate the smaller pulley?
Old 05-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by NJTLPower

Did you have to change your belt to a shorter one to accomodate the smaller pulley?
yes you do
Old 05-28-2006, 10:20 PM
I drive a Subata.

Originally Posted by NJTLPower

The instruction that comes with the pulley has the part number. You could get it from any local auto part store.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
I have to double check on Tuesday but I think the part # is 25-060820 . I will check again. Let me know if you need the UR pulley. I have them in stock.

I am going to say this again, as we have said it many times before, the 3rd Gen TL pulley is not a "harmonic dampener" or whatever name you want to give it. The engine is internally balanced.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:10 AM
Intermediate

^^cool. thats all i was wondering, because its worth knowing now up front then later when your engine starts f-ing up, you know? plus, my 2 cents is for light weight, not underdrive. with all the electrical components in the tl and that fancy ass a/c we have the last thing you want to do is underdrive their power... plus the fancy ass power steering.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Racer

I second your comments.

Short term I think you will be okay with the UR pulley. But for those of us who will push 200k or more miles, the answer will most likely be different.

If the UR pulley was that good for the vehicle, I am sure the OEMs would be installing them since they effectively reduce the vehicles weight.

If I felt more confident about the longevity of the pulley, I would install one in a heart beat as it will make a very noticeable difference in performance.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess what. . . . . .

I was thinking about doing the CRANK PULLEY as well. I read several threads stating that it underdrives the a/c and stereo. I have stock stereo. Will the underdrive cause a noticable difference for the stereo and/or air conditioning?

For those who have already installed the pulley: Did you feel the HP gain? How is the a/c? How is your stock stereo doing? Any negative effects?

Sorry but I posted this on two threads because I know this one is very applicable to me because I have AEM CAI currently installed and thinking about the UR Pulley as we speak.

Also, where can I buy a UR Pulley? Can someone link me or tell me where I can find the best deal? Thanks
Old 09-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I got my pulley from www.ptuning.com . You want part number PT020611402 for $179.95 (shipping is included in the price). This is the part number for the reduced diameter pulley. Be aware that UR has a lightwieght pulley that is oem diameter, but www.ptuning.com does not apprear to carry it.

I had my pulley installed yesterday. So, too soon for me to fully comment. But, the little that I have driven it (without resetting the computer) has put a BIG smile on my face. I had my AEM CAI installed a month ago. I can say that the pulley makes a bigger improvement than the CAI. Not saying that the CAI is bad... the CAI is GREAT with a noticable power increase. But, the pulley has even more of a noticable improvement to me.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are there any other parts that I would also need?

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
I got my pulley from www.ptuning.com . You want part number PT020611402 for $179.95 (shipping is included in the price). This is the part number for the reduced diameter pulley. Be aware that UR has a lightwieght pulley that is oem diameter, but www.ptuning.com does not apprear to carry it.

I had my pulley installed yesterday. So, too soon for me to fully comment. But, the little that I have driven it (without resetting the computer) has put a BIG smile on my face. I had my AEM CAI installed a month ago. I can say that the pulley makes a bigger improvement than the CAI. Not saying that the CAI is bad... the CAI is GREAT with a noticable power increase. But, the pulley has even more of a noticable improvement to me.

Are there any other parts that I would also need? How have yoru a/c and electonics been working since the pulley? Would the pulley decrease fuel economy at all?
Old 09-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Extra parts ? Yes, you will need a different size belt. You need to purchase a Gates K060820 (82-1/2" or 2095 mm). "Gates" is the brand name, and the "K060820" is the part number. You will need to drive around town to visit several autoparts stores until you find an autoparts store that sells Gates brand of belts. I got mine from "O'Reilly Auto Parts".

IF you have a Napa store, you can get the NAPA Part# 060820 Micro-V. Napa's belts are made by Gates.

This is all you need. I took the pulley and the belt to my machanic, and 30 minutes later, I was good to go.

Ragarding the gas mileage, I have not driven mine enough yet to know. But, from a logical point of view, mileageshould increase if anything (as opposed to a decrease). The reason milage should increase is because the car does not need to struggle to rotate that 8 lb boat-anchor pulley.

In regards to the AC, I have not driven my car yet to know.

I really doubt electronics and electrical stuff would be effected. The car does crank-over easier with the lighter pulley.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:49 AM
Pro

I have had my pulley on for several months now. Subjectively, I felt more of a gain with this mod than with any of my others; couldn't be happier.

No effect whatsoever on AC (I had it running all summer) or on stock stereo. Most of the HP gain with this mod is from decreased weight on the crankshaft, NOT underdriving.

I got mine directly from the UR website. Gave the pulley and the Gates belt to my mechanic. Two hundred for the install.

Quick Reply: Installed AEM CAI and UR Pulley