Old 11-19-2009, 08:52 PM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXAQY9-f86o
here is the video!!
Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
sherpa, cool vid. Hilarious watching it lay rubber on the road.... too funny. Really enjoyed the vid.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:03 PM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

^^ YEAH IM gonna be pimping on that bike!!! LOL. im planning on using it to commute during the summer seasons!! im planning on modifying it with a exhaust, race sprockets, etc. yeah haha. actually let me find another video that i thought was hilarious. in this video a x18 pocket bike races a ford f150!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7shrzcHzKw
Old 11-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I apologize in advance but I can't help myself....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkzRJnMGY20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyjeepWQIRY
Old 11-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Old 11-20-2009, 04:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
^
Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Hummm.... interesting powerband those GN's have. The GN seems to have the ideal powerband for 1/4-mile racing. Just from listening to the vid, it sounds like the GN is "riding" against the stall converter for the vast majority of the run. Then when the GN did spin-up past the stall speed, it shifted-up again very shortly after that. Seems to me if this is indeed the case, this is one primary reason why the GN is a 1/4-mile killer. This is an example of why I love 1/4-mile racing. Quarter-mile racing is not solely about just raw HP. Quarter-mile racing is all about smart, unforgiving usage of HP (Ex: traction, wise powerband, zero human error, zero mechanical error, no excuses, etc.).

If the finish vid is at the 1/4-mile mark, the GN beat the bike by 1.0 seconds. According to Google, the factory bike runs approx high 10's to low 11's. If that is the case (if not modded), that puts the GN at approx high 9's to low 10's. Back in my days, this was strictly a "trailer car" that could run those type of numbers. Awesome ride that GN must be !!!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Damn......
Old 11-20-2009, 08:00 AM
J36Twingt28r's,nextgt30r

^^^ yea DAMN!!! LOL. DON'T WANNA RACE U IHC!! but i will race u with my 110cc pocket bike!! lol jk
Old 11-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like to play with my cars too. I have added a cai and plan on getting a j-pipe. But the TL is not a race car. If you want to go real fast and have about 5k to play with go buy a newer used crotch rocket. I'm sure you could find an 05-07 Honda 600RR for that price. This will quech your need for speed real quick.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Hummm.... interesting powerband those GN's have. The GN seems to have the ideal powerband for 1/4-mile racing. Just from listening to the vid, it sounds like the GN is "riding" against the stall converter for the vast majority of the run. Then when the GN did spin-up past the stall speed, it shifted-up again very shortly after that. Seems to me if this is indeed the case, this is one primary reason why the GN is a 1/4-mile killer. This is an example of why I love 1/4-mile racing. Quarter-mile racing is not solely about just raw HP. Quarter-mile racing is all about smart, unforgiving usage of HP (Ex: traction, wise powerband, zero human error, zero mechanical error, no excuses, etc.).

If the finish vid is at the 1/4-mile mark, the GN beat the bike by 1.0 seconds. According to Google, the factory bike runs approx high 10's to low 11's. If that is the case (if not modded), that puts the GN at approx high 9's to low 10's. Back in my days, this was strictly a "trailer car" that could run those type of numbers. Awesome ride that GN must be !!!
That's it. It's a 9.60 car, stock block, mostly stock internals. I copied that build so closely I feel like I should pay the guy for the R&D. That one is limited to a 70mm turbo and 250 cubic inches by the rules. I don't have to follow that limit since I don't race in any class. I'm running a slightly larger turbo and a 256" engine.

They're all about torque and on the stock bottom, spinning them past 6,000rpm is just asking for trouble. You can see when it hits full boost when the exhaust blows the dust off the road. The factory gearing vs the powerband is one of the best matched combos GM has ever come up with. It's truly optimized in stock form. Everyone keeps the 200-4R and stock 3.42 gears. That's why many times they run much faster than the hp numbers would indicate. In my experience, a 500hp GN will kill a 600hp Mustang in the 1/4 9 times out of 10.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:00 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i've been out of the game for a while and can't quite tell what year GSX-R that is but, stock high 10's is a misnomer since no crotch rocket lasts more than a month without a pipe and a jet kit. bikes respond so well to simple bolt on's it's recockulous. full exhaust kit and jetting = easy 20 whp. so, that bike was probably on cusp of low 10's.

be that as it may, you see the flaw with a sparked up bike running against a track monster car. in-line 4 jap bikes are very top end biased, like v-tec. so hard to launch. you should watch amateur youtube clips of guys trying to launch 200 hp Gixxer's...lot's of fail. The GN floors it and has a calculated hook up potential. that kind of lead out of the hole = bye-bye.

fantastic car. i still remember the first time I drove by one on a bridge when I was like 18. heard this strange mechanical "whirrrr" coming from the engine as he nonchalantly cruised up the bridge doing the posted speed limit. it just didn't compute - turbo noise coming from a blatantly obvious Detroit pony. it was a sleeper from the outside but you could just tell it was a nasty machine. i've been intrigued by them ever since..
Old 11-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tenzingsherpa
its all good majofo. LOL yeah i think their pretty hilarious too but im like 5ft 5inches so i won't look completley stupid on it haha. it will be more for car shows and such i wanna match the bike color scheme to my cars color sheme. PLUS it is street legal too!! the X18 super pocket bike is in the video. In this video the rider is about 6 foot i believe. Can't wait to get it lol!!!
your idea reminds me of this lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ48NQjouoE
Old 11-21-2009, 03:58 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NedShneebly
i've been out of the game for a while and can't quite tell what year GSX-R that is but, stock high 10's is a misnomer since no crotch rocket lasts more than a month without a pipe and a jet kit. bikes respond so well to simple bolt on's it's recockulous. full exhaust kit and jetting = easy 20 whp. so, that bike was probably on cusp of low 10's.

be that as it may, you see the flaw with a sparked up bike running against a track monster car. in-line 4 jap bikes are very top end biased, like v-tec. so hard to launch. you should watch amateur youtube clips of guys trying to launch 200 hp Gixxer's...lot's of fail. The GN floors it and has a calculated hook up potential. that kind of lead out of the hole = bye-bye.

fantastic car. i still remember the first time I drove by one on a bridge when I was like 18. heard this strange mechanical "whirrrr" coming from the engine as he nonchalantly cruised up the bridge doing the posted speed limit. it just didn't compute - turbo noise coming from a blatantly obvious Detroit pony. it was a sleeper from the outside but you could just tell it was a nasty machine. i've been intrigued by them ever since..

It's hard to say how much of that was launch. The GN's strong point has always been the launch but that particular car traps in the mid 130mph range so it was likely pulling the bike all the way down.

I'm getting the car ready for a run with a co-worker's 1,000cc crotch rocket. I have no idea the make or model but it's a fairly new liter bike. Not sure how it's going to turn out but there's no shame in losing to one of those.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:11 AM
practicing nihilist

if it's a GSX-R 1000, a pro can get that bike down the track fast than the Hayabusa. it's got torque but still a difficult launch and if he doesn't have a stretched swing arm he'll be fighting to keep the wheel on the ground.
Old 11-21-2009, 02:02 PM
Team Owner

if it's a GSX-R 1000, a pro can get that bike down the track fast than the Hayabusa. it's got torque but still a difficult launch and if he doesn't have a stretched swing arm he'll be fighting to keep the wheel on the ground.

It's a chick who's an instructor at Willow Springs on the weekends. I don't mind losing to the bike. I really don't want to lose to the chick. She will probably launch it well. I may make this my annihilation run and just crank the boost to 35psi and hope it holds to the end of the race. I'm 400lbs lighter and have about 100 more hp than when I ran 10.60s. It might go high 9s or 10 ohs on a perfect day but I don't think that's enough for this bike.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:36 PM
practicing nihilist

i would keep the stakes low. she sounds like a black widow. turn up the boost and get some ET Streets!
Old 11-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
:waitsforvidsofrace:
Old 11-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Team Owner

i would keep the stakes low. she sounds like a black widow. turn up the boost and get some ET Streets!

LOL. It's on Quick Time Pros full time. Even so, this will likely be the first loss.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i've been out of the game for a while and can't quite tell what year GSX-R that is but, stock high 10's is a misnomer since no crotch rocket lasts more than a month without a pipe and a jet kit. bikes respond so well to simple bolt on's it's recockulous. full exhaust kit and jetting = easy 20 whp. so, that bike was probably on cusp of low 10's...
That looks like an early 2000's GSX-R 600 or 750 if the fairing colours are stock...but even the rear end looks K2 - K4. They were/are fuel injected...haven't run carbs since '98. Messing with jetting needles has given way to fuel controllers and ECU remapping....far better gains. My '09 GSXR 750 runs ~ a 10 second 1/4 mile stock. With a full exhaust, Power Commander fuel controller, and racing air filter (approx. $1200 total), I've gained 19 WHP and more importantly 8 ft/lbs of torque...on a 424 lb machine. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure a 9 1/2 second quarter mile is easily attainable on slicks.

With that said, while the GN's run is impressive you can hear the GSXR bog on launch...should have been a much closer race. Short of a top fuel dragster, I'd feel confident going toe to toe with mostly anything on four wheels. Give me a ZX10R and I'd be even more confident.

Besides, sportbikes are made for the twisties...
Old 11-22-2009, 07:22 PM
practicing nihilist

wow! bye-bye jetting needles...i'm old. jet kit's sucked to tune, anyway. i'm glad they're fuel injected now.

i have read a bit on the new R6, with digital throttle and that sick looking little race can poking out the side. always loved the R's, even though the Gixxer's have owned the game for a long time.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
That looks like an early 2000's GSX-R 600 or 750 if the fairing colours are stock...but even the rear end looks K2 - K4. They were/are fuel injected...haven't run carbs since '98. Messing with jetting needles has given way to fuel controllers and ECU remapping....far better gains. My '09 GSXR 750 runs ~ a 10 second 1/4 mile stock. With a full exhaust, Power Commander fuel controller, and racing air filter (approx. $1200 total), I've gained 19 WHP and more importantly 8 ft/lbs of torque...on a 424 lb machine. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure a 9 1/2 second quarter mile is easily attainable on slicks.

With that said, while the GN's run is impressive you can hear the GSXR bog on launch...should have been a much closer race. Short of a top fuel dragster, I'd feel confident going toe to toe with mostly anything on four wheels. Give me a ZX10R and I'd be even more confident.

Besides, sportbikes are made for the twisties...
What does that bike trap? I believe that particular GN was a 137mph car.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

wow! bye-bye jetting needles...i'm old. jet kit's sucked to tune, anyway. i'm glad they're fuel injected now.

MY '08 ZZR was actually carbed and I had an Ivan's jet kit on it, gave pretty impressive gains coupled with an ignition advancer. And there's something to be said for tried and true technology. But FI is just more efficient, especially in a motorcycle application where weight and packaging is crucial. But yeah, metering carbs with tiny jet needles is a PITA....especially if you dropped a needle down into the float bowl....not that I did that! lol
i have read a bit on the new R6, with digital throttle and that sick looking little race can poking out the side. always loved the R's, even though the Gixxer's have owned the game for a long time.
Funny...I'm actually a Kawi guy, but the GSXR really appealed to me and is the only 750 in the game now. The 3/4 liter class is the best of both worlds IMO...the agility of a 600 supersport with near the power of a literbike. I'm surprised that other manufacturers don't get back into the 750 class...Suzuki has the market to themselves.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I hate cars
What does that bike trap? I believe that particular GN was a 137mph car.
I believe about the same....perhaps a bit better @ ~138 MPH. Sport Rider did a comparo last year with an '08 GSXR 750 that did that, the '09s were slightly remapped for better mid-range so they may do slightly better stock.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:23 PM
practicing nihilist

fast. so Ram, what is up with all the extended swingarms on bikes these days? do they know what that does or is it just for looks?

pegged my '00 R6 on about the safest road I could find once. speedo stopped at 170. It was stupid but I was young/dumb and just had to do it once.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Team Owner

I've always wondered why the specs dont seem to match up. When I ran 10.60s with a best trap of 127-8mph, I was outrunning R6s left and right. I had my best friend not believing me and not 10 minutes after we had the conversation, we ran into one. Coolest guy, gave me the thumbs up and wanted to see under the hood. I don't know what they are rated at but I believe it's faster than what my car was running. This is on roll races too.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:40 AM
2011 ZCP E92 M3!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go on the king da ka.....its realli fastt!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Burning Brakes

fast. so Ram, what is up with all the extended swingarms on bikes these days? do they know what that does or is it just for looks?

pegged my '00 R6 on about the safest road I could find once. speedo stopped at 170. It was stupid but I was young/dumb and just had to do it once.
Meh....those stretched bling bikes are silly, IMO. Real drag racers will extend the swingarm in order to lengthen the wheelbase so they can hook up and keep both wheels on the tarmac when they launch...perfect for straight line acceleration, horrible for turning. But they're not running chromed swingarms/wheels and neon lights like some of these squids with streched bikes....makes no sense to me to ruin a perfectly capable bike with mods that not only limit, but actually inhibit performance of the machine.

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I've always wondered why the specs dont seem to match up. When I ran 10.60s with a best trap of 127-8mph, I was outrunning R6s left and right. I had my best friend not believing me and not 10 minutes after we had the conversation, we ran into one. Coolest guy, gave me the thumbs up and wanted to see under the hood. I don't know what they are rated at but I believe it's faster than what my car was running. This is on roll races too.

Yeah, I would think that you'd be in the 130s with that time. Most 600s are running mid - high 10s stock. Spend $150 on a -1 sprocket change and you can shave a 1/2 second of that easily.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:41 PM
practicing nihilist

right. i bet there's a lot more of them kissing guard rails on sweepers after stretching the bike out like that. personally, i wanted to turn as easily as possible, something the R6 did pretty well.

Buell's always looked like the shortest wheel around. maybe it was just their lack of fairings. did you hear HD is not going to make those anymore?
Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,048 Posts
To get this thread back on track:

OP didn't mention whether or not this would be a track car. Based on his age, seeming lack of knowledge, and choice of car, I'd say it's just his DD that he wants to street race.

If this is the case, don't do it. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to race on the street. What does it prove? You're faster than the other guy and willing to risk yours and other's life for it. Not worth it IMHO.

However, there's nothing wrong with a nice blast down the on-ramp. It's the only chance most people get to go WOT, and a lot of guys (myself included) take it. No problem.

My suggestion to you: Don't waste your money on "going faster" if you're only 19 and have no idea what you're doing. Plenty of people here your age with fast cars, but many of them know what they're doing and keep their speed in check. Learn from them.