Help with upgrading the TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:30 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with upgrading the TL

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site in the sense of posting not the site itself. I've followed post's from this site for a few years and now its time for me to take my proper noob stoning.
I am looking for help with parts that I'm looking to put on the TL. I hope to soon have. All of you know infinity more than me which is why I'm posting, and I know quite a few will tell me to use the search function, which is fine (I'm in your court not mine) but I also know some are nice enough to throw me a bone to a question or too. So here it goes:

I looking to get either a 2007 base TL or Type-S depending on your answers to my questions. I'm leaning towards the Type-S, as I'm to understand the factory Brembo brakes and adjusted suspension tuning is better suited to my spirited driving style.
My questions are this:

First I plan on putting a supercharger on the car, is comptech the only company that makes one?
My information is old, is a supercharger only possible on the base model ( I read something about having to buy a smaller battery)
If the answer is yes, then my questions should end here.
Why a 2007 model. To my limited knowledge the J pipe I've read about was made only for 2007, I don't know if it fits 2008.
I know I want the J pipe, but I don't know exactly what a cat back system is. I've read the forum on it a while back, the question is; is there only one company that makes it?
K&N air intake (I forget the #2 suggested on this site) seemed like a matter of preference? Something about the sound it makes.
If I can do the supercharger on a Type-s, will the brembo brakes be enough? Or should I go for aftermarket.
Back tracking to the supercharger. I plan on having a sound system installed. Since I read you will need a smaller battery, does any one make a stronger/higher amp alternator? I know I could for my 97 cutlass, don't know about the TL.
This question is out of topic. Does anyone know if I can just run two four channel amps through the cars audio system and by this I mean run the RCA cables to the nav system. Or does that only apply to aftermarket?
I read a post that no performance chip exist for the TL a while ago, is that still true?
Are there special mufflers I should buy? Or is that the catback system?
With those that have a supercharger (or the legend that pioneered the first turbo) are the stock transmission's holding? Or are you guys buying aftermarket one's? If yes by who?
Another off topic question. Is the instrument panel just LED lights? Meaning, I'm not a fan of the red lights on the Type-S, I would like to own the Type-S but have the cool blue instrument panel the base model does.
Last semi off topic question. I'm hunting down a WDP with black interior. The problem is its hit or miss with this color combo and to have the Navi installed. Question is can you take the navi off a wrecked TL and install it to one that doesn't. Or is this a big waste of time?

What I'm looking to do is boost the car and keep it for about 10 years (I've had my current car for six). I'm not looking for the parts that give the highest possible HP boost (I know a modder will ban me for this reason), or achieve the highest magical HP number possible for the TL. I'm looking for the parts that the majority of you are using so that the TL will run faster than it already does and run for many years to come.

I know this was at the very least annoying to read but from the vet TL owner's to a soon to be rookie, any help will be much appreciated.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:07 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The supercharger won't work on the Type-S. Yes, CT-Engineering is the only company making one.

The j-pipe will work for all years of the 3G TL. You can get one from Richie V6, Excelerate, or ATLP.

You can run the amp wires the way you described.
A cat-back is another way of saying "exhaust".

For intakes, K&N makes both a drop-in filter, and CAI. You can also get Fujita, Injen, and AEM CAI's.

If you get a supercharger, the Brembo brakes will be enough. But, you can always upgrade the rotors and pads.

You can get an upgraded battery. Braille and Optima makes them, but they're expensive.

No performance chip exists.

Stock trannies will hold up to SC's, as long as you don't get the HBP.

You can change out the LED's in the dash.

You can do a navi swap, but it'll cost $$ and take a long time.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:08 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

BTW, welcome to AZ. I hope you find the car you want.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:08 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Also, you owe me for answering all of those questions. The least you could've done was number them.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Welcome to Azine!

Princelybug did all the work already, no need for my $.02 lol
Old 02-08-2010, 08:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
There are some people who have replaced the ACM with an F/IC so with a good tuner and dyno time, there's no reason you couldn't put an SC on the TypeS.

J&R are also going back into the ECU reflash with the help of Hondata so there could be a tuning option there too.

J&R also had an Azine's member's TypeS and have started working on a turbo setup so there should be something available at some point.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Welcome. Princelybug answered you pretty well. If you have any further questions when you're ready to mod, give us a call.