Heat Shield

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Heat Shield

i have a kandn short ram intake installed. i really dont feel like going all the way i dont know why for some reason im not compftable with it....

but now that i have it in short ram the sound is great but for some reason i think the car doesnt pull as hard as before, it might be also that the sound is tricking me cause before you could just hear it when you hit v-tec...and then again it might be warm air - can that really affect that much

would a heat shiled help at all >>>??
Old 05-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
what kind of short ram do you have now?
Old 05-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Shift_faster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rets
what kind of short ram do you have now?
Check the first line rets.

He has a K&N intake installed in the short ram trim. K&N is the only intake that can be converted into a short ram or a CAI.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Check the first line rets.

He has a K&N intake installed in the short ram trim. K&N is the only intake that can be converted into a short ram or a CAI.
Man, you're absolutely right... he said "kandn"... My bad...

Thanks.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
To PoochaKannInc;

No, you can convert to a short ram intake very easily if you have the needed parts. I did this 3 weeks ago and tested it over that weekend. I removed it and returned to the stock intake.

What I did was use an Apexi "Power Intake" filter and an Apexi adaptor. Then I removed the upper air cleaner housing from the ribble coupler and attached the Apexi with adaptor. There was an increase in power, most noticable in first and second gear, and the upper RPM ranges of the other gears. This simple swap takes me maybe ten minutes.

The benefit of the Apexi filter is that it is NOT oil-wetted like K&N or similar filters. It is a dry element filter of extremely high quality (it costs around $75!).

BTW, the stock Honda air filter for our engines is also oil-wetted.. ON ONE SIDE ONLY! The blue (bottom) side is oil-wetted, but the white (top) side is not. An interesting combo and explains why there is no oily residue in the path to the throttle body and in the orifice of the throttle body itself.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:53 PM
Shift_faster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SouthernBoy:

Thanks for the info. I did follow your thread about the Apexi Short Ram. What I meant was, K&N is the only aftermarket option that is both a CAI, and can be shortened to be made a SRI. Neither the AEM or the Injen CAI's have this ability. I'm not sure about Weapon R.

Back to the topic at hand, with the K&N short ram do you believe that a heat shield could help mitigate the percieved loss of power? I'm not sure that I can give an intelligent answer on this.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it will probably not help much. the location of the filter in the short ram setup is right next to the engine which causes the intake to take in warmer air which will be robbing your vehicle any existing power it had when you had the stock setup.

you might be better off getting the rest of the typhoon setup and using the real CAI setup.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:30 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
A good heat shield will help a little, but not much as 3PUTT noted. On my former 2002 Altima SE, the battery acted as a heat shield, plus since the car was larger than the TL, there was more space under the hood (even with a physically larger engine), so more air got in and around and more heat got out.

Our TL's have pretty cramped quarters under the hood, so heat is hard to get around. During my tests three weeks ago with the Apexi home-brewed short intake, I noted that there was not much of a heat problem when moving along. The Apexi filter tended to stay fairly cool to the touch. However, in stop and go traffic or when the engine was off for a while (like in a store or a restaurant), the filter did pick up quite a bit of the surrounding heat. But this is going to happen with any kind of filter.. even a CAI.