Got cash, need help with deciding on mods!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got cash, need help with deciding on mods!!!

I just sold my POS junker Infinity J30T for 800 plus I got like 200 extra bucks in my bank account so I got like 1k total to put into my 06 Acura TL AT Navi. I'm completely stock now except for the Navi hacks but thats nothing so I've been looking around sum of the posts and I'm thinkin a UR Pully + AEM V2 CAI + Exaust work. Now I know about the intake and UR pully a little(might need sum help there too) but I'm utterly retarded when it comes to this confusing exaust everyone always talks about. Can someone help me understand what exaust setup I can do to gain the most power possible without emabarrassing myself by driving down the street with a tl that sounds like a civic with a pop can exaust? No offense to the civiv, I love it, just not my thing. lol
Old 03-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you can do most exhaust mods without sounding like a riced out civic as long as you use a resonator.

you have millions of options such as full catbacks from excelerate, ATLP, Greddy, etc...

or/and

J-pipe+race pipe, test pipe, etc...

or

RV6 precat deletes (NOTE: you DO NOT pass inspection)

also, if your into suspension mods, you can add a sway bar for better handling. look at my sig for more mods.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:30 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
here is a page you MUST look at
http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../g-55889.aspxa
Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Intermediate

I have no idea what you said. lol Thats how much of a noob I am to the tl exaust. I want something that has a deep sound to it that people outside the car will think is nice but that I cant really hear on the inside of the car. I might be interested in the precat delete if the benifits which I have no idea about outweigh the bribe I have to pay the emissions guy.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stillhere153
Sorry, We've Encountered An Error

Whoops! Looks like there was a glitch, an alert has been sent to our developers, but if you click the back button it should clear itself up.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Intermediate

I just tried that link and got the same error. lol
Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Intermediate

I would have really thought more people would of thrown in there on this topic? I mean as far as I can tell everyone has there opinions on one type of exaust combo an parts or another and another so I thought if everyone can help me understand what parts the exaust have from the headers on back then I would understand better so that when everyone describes there set up and sound it makes plus whatever HP gains they dyno'd or relitive HP they think they might have gained then this could help me out greatly.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bogalu
I would have really thought more people would of thrown in there on this topic? I mean as far as I can tell everyone has there opinions on one type of exaust combo an parts or another and another so I thought if everyone can help me understand what parts the exaust have from the headers on back then I would understand better so that when everyone describes there set up and sound it makes plus whatever HP gains they dyno'd or relitive HP they think they might have gained then this could help me out greatly.
the main reason im not really helping out as much is because im not a technician lol. all my knowledge on cars was acquired from acurazine lol.

but to answer your question, search for the ATLP exhaust. that MIGHT be the sound your looking for.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Pro

Bogalu, if you research you will learn.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Instructor

excelerate resonated catback is pretty tame, probably close to what your looking for, but thats going to eat up your 1K. Search mid muffler delete for a cheaper alt. although it wont yield you anything close to the catback performance-wise. The pulley gives some good gains but it all comes down to the size of your wallet...bc mods are addicting and can add up quick thanks to this site!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

Damn. lol I got the zenmasters advice commin to me now, "If you do the research, you will learn" I want to learn without the research, I want a crash course in car-anomics and exaust-anomics. lmao Ill check out the ATLP exaust. Any recomendations on what setups I can do to maximize power and MPG? Cause I'm sick of my 19 mpg highway/street mixed average. lol At least I'm usually getting 17mpg city.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Bored at work

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you only got a 1000 to spend i say get a intake and pulley with a j pipe and test pipe...those 4 parts will run about 1000 depending on which ones you buy...
Old 03-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Intermediate

Yeah I just noticed I ain't gonna have enough money. lol Looks like I'm gonna need another half a grand to finish!
Anybody recommend replacing the headers? I heard you don't need to because the factory headers aren't restrictive at all?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah I just noticed I ain't gonna have enough money. lol Looks like I'm gonna need another half a grand to finish!
Anybody recommend replacing the headers? I heard you don't need to because the factory headers aren't restrictive at all?
someone correct me if im wrong (or if idk what im talking about lol), but i read somewhere that the stock headers on the 3G TL are soldiered and therefore cannot be changed.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Intermediate

I want to do all the mods at the same time so I can have the car professionally tuned for the first and only time. So I think I know what I'll do but its gonna cost 1.5k more than I wanted so for 2.5k it looks like I can get the AEM V2 CAI, UR Pully, ATLP J Pipe, ATLP Race Pipe, Then this bad ass ATLP Quad Exaust that mounts onto the 3rd cat. Am I missing anything for the exaust?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by paliknight
someone correct me if im wrong (or if idk what im talking about lol), but i read somewhere that the stock headers on the 3G TL are soldiered and therefore cannot be changed.
IM A I know. lol I didn't know the were welded or soldiered. I'm learning as I go so I'm sure soon enough I'll stop asking stupid questions. lol
Old 03-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

I want to do all the mods at the same time so I can have the car professionally tuned for the first and only time. So I think I know what I'll do but its gonna cost 1.5k more than I wanted so for 2.5k it looks like I can get the AEM V2 CAI, UR Pully, ATLP J Pipe, ATLP Race Pipe, Then this bad ass ATLP Quad Exaust that mounts onto the 3rd cat. Am I missing anything for the exaust?
i dont think your missing anything for the exhaust, but you can also get the innovative motor mounts that DRASTICALLY reduce wheel hop. give much better traction.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

IM A I know. lol I didn't know the were welded or soldiered. I'm learning as I go so I'm sure soon enough I'll stop asking stupid questions. lol
sorry lol, i meant welded.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

Those motor mounts sound nice! Im startin to put together a list of Items I'm getting with links to the sites and prices so do you mind telling me where you got the mounts and how much they were? Also are they difficult to install? Or should I have a shop do it and what do you think they'll charge?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:55 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If you want a quiet exhaust system....greddy will not make you happy. Go comptech if that is what you want.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by paliknight
sorry lol, i meant welded.
I don't think we can replace the headers b/c they are cast right into the head... so coming out the headers you go into the two main cats, J-Pipe, third cat, and then exhaust. Everything after the header can be replaced.

If I had a grand? Precats, JPipe, and test pipe and pulley... Intake can come after. I don't know if you're gonna get a rasp with precats though, other members here can chime in with it. I'm gonna get them anways
Old 03-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gatdammit
I don't think we can replace the headers b/c they are cast right into the head... so coming out the headers you go into the two main cats, J-Pipe, third cat, and then exhaust. Everything after the header can be replaced.

If I had a grand? Precats, JPipe, and test pipe and pulley... Intake can come after. I don't know if you're gonna get a rasp with precats though, other members here can chime in with it. I'm gonna get them anways
im pretty sure you can. i saw in the other thread that you needed a resonator to eliminate the rasp.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Those motor mounts sound nice! Im startin to put together a list of Items I'm getting with links to the sites and prices so do you mind telling me where you got the mounts and how much they were? Also are they difficult to install? Or should I have a shop do it and what do you think they'll charge?
here is a link to the mounts:

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/innovative-mounts-sales-acura-cl-01-03-tl-99-03-tl-04-08-a-391098/

it took an average (average for members on here to install) of 5 hours or so to install. they are a PITA to install. if your a noob like me, then i would recommend a shop. they will charge you in the 200 dollar range.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gatdammit

haha, i did mention i was a noob when it came to cars.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Intermediate

Well Its not that I want a quiet exaust, I just don't want to sound like a civic is all. I heard that its the drone that bothers most tl Automatic drivers after the mod the exaust and it sounds like as long as I choose the right set up I'll be able to avoid the drone while at idle. Plus I have bad ass subs in the trunk and listen to my music at like 28-38 daily so I'm sure I could easily drown out my exaust if its a little too loud. lol Is ATLP greddy? cause I have no idea because I didn't even know I was looking at greddy. lol
Old 03-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Burning Brakes

^ if you don't want the drone, stay away from Greddy... it's probably one of the loudest exhausts available for us.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Well Its not that I want a quiet exaust, I just don't want to sound like a civic is all. I heard that its the drone that bothers most tl Automatic drivers after the mod the exaust and it sounds like as long as I choose the right set up I'll be able to avoid the drone while at idle. Plus I have bad ass subs in the trunk and listen to my music at like 28-38 daily so I'm sure I could easily drown out my exaust if its a little too loud. lol Is ATLP greddy? cause I have no idea because I didn't even know I was looking at greddy. lol
nah ATLP and Greddy are 2 completely different companies.

but here is an example of a TL with the ATLP catback and a J-pipe. no rasp whatsoever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrRUt83FC7k
Old 03-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Intermediate

That sounds amazing! I want that! lol So how do I eliminate the 2 main cats comming from the headers? Cause I use to own a 69 mustang and a 77 Pontiac Grand LeMans so I'm use to bribing the smog guys. "Hey I'm not sure my car will pass the test, will a $100 make my car pass?" lmao
Old 03-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Intermediate

Quick question, I cant seem to find any info on the UR Pully anywhere. So I have no Idea what it costs or where to buy it. Can anyone help?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes

UR Pulley is about ~200 for the stock size pulley, You can eliminate the cats using RV6 precat deletes (i'm not sure who else sells them, then you can replace the OEM J-pipe with either ATLPs, RV6s, or Excelerate's pieces, and then the test pipe from ATLP, or RV6 or I guess anyone even a local muffler shop, and then Exhaust from ATLP, Comptech, Tanabe, or Excelerate or just make one at the local muffler shop again.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Shyne

get some coils!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Quick question, I cant seem to find any info on the UR Pully anywhere. So I have no Idea what it costs or where to buy it. Can anyone help?
i think this is it:

http://store.excelerateperformance.c.../i-220259.aspx
Old 03-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Intermediate

So how much does RV6's precat deletes cost? And where can I find them?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:02 AM
Burning Brakes

So how much does RV6's precat deletes cost? And where can I find them?
PM the thread starter of this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/rv6-j-shift-j-pipe-test-pipe-combo-fall-special-ua6-7-tl-04-08-a-695345/
Old 03-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Intermediate

So with the ATLP Quad exaust would you guys recommend resonated or non resonated for RV6's setup?
Old 03-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Burning Brakes

^ can't get the quads.... they were limited run... there's a new Base TL exhaust... the resonated pipe I guess "quiets" it down a bit more... straight pipe is non resonated so it will do what it does...
Old 03-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Intermediate

What is the difference between resonated and straight pipe besides the resonated being able to control the rasp from what ive heard? Is the resonated in any way restrictive or the straight pipe?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:16 AM
Burning Brakes

What is the difference between resonated and straight pipe besides the resonated being able to control the rasp from what ive heard? Is the resonated in any way restrictive or the straight pipe?
i think its mainly just sound.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Instructor

there is a resonator in the middle which obviously is a little less restrictive but nothing you will really notice. I got the XLR8 resonated setup bc my car is my DD and I love the sound. Not too loud but sounds like pure sex after precats!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by K_Johansen
there is a resonator in the middle which obviously is a little less restrictive but nothing you will really notice. I got the XLR8 resonated setup bc my car is my DD and I love the sound. Not too loud but sounds like pure sex after precats!!!

Hey how's the smell with that hiflow third cat in place? Still the same as having it straight through, or improved? You haven't tested that setup against emissions testing have you? I wanna get those precats, but kinda weary about going totally straight-piped...

Quick Reply: Got cash, need help with deciding on mods!!!