GHL Motorsports to design 3G TL exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Moved to the LOU

Received 249 Likes on 183 Posts
Exclamation GHL Motorsports to design 3G TL exhaust!

OK guys, I need your feedback on this. I know everyone has been looking for an option to the Comptech exhaust and I think I found our answer. Last week I spoke with Jeff who is one of the owners of GHL motorsports in Mesa Arizona. We spoke about designing an exhaust for the 3G TL's. He said he would be interested so I took my car over and we went over a lot of stuff. I will be the test vehicle for this exhaust over the next few weeks. Here is what I need to know from you guys.

1. How many would purchase a full stainless steel cat back exhaust for this car?

2. What kind of tips would you want. We spoke about tips that looks very similar to the stock tips. But we also spoke about staggered 2.5'' tips on each side. They would be staggered to match the curves of the bumper. I really like the staggered idea.

3. How much would you pay for the exhaust? We discussed a price around $875 with shipping. That's $100 less than the Comptech group buy price.

4. Would you want the entire stsytem 2.5'' piping? All the guys at the shop thought that was the best plan.

Please check out his website at GHL Motorsports. These guys work on everything from Ferrari's down to Nissan's and it is a very reputable shop. I really need all the feedback you can give. Please vouice all your ideas, concerns, etc.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Moved to the LOU

Anyone, anyone? I thought this thread would get a better response.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:21 AM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say to keep the piping at 2.5... Would you happen to have a picture of the staggered tips? i think they sound good but without seeing them, I wouldn't be able to make a good decision... I do like the idea of another option besides the Comptech, and if he could retain some of the look we currently have, even better... Comptech circular tips just dont go with our car IMO...

Price sounds about right... SO would this eliminate the third muffler? What about the resonator?

I'm interested...
Old 07-05-2006, 11:21 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My requirements:
-Tips would defintely have to flow with the stock bumper
-Price would be key as there is not much of a performance gain with the exhaust. $900 is a bit steep for only a few measly hp...hell, the E-shift procats nearly triple hp per $ over any exhaust for almost the same price. A low intial price strategy might boost sales enough to get the product out.
-no resonance or drone from the exhaust, just a nice deep tone that's not raspy or overbearing
Old 07-05-2006, 11:32 AM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by jmbnova
I would say to keep the piping at 2.5... Would you happen to have a picture of the staggered tips? i think they sound good but without seeing them, I wouldn't be able to make a good decision... I do like the idea of another option besides the Comptech, and if he could retain some of the look we currently have, even better... Comptech circular tips just dont go with our car IMO...

Price sounds about right... SO would this eliminate the third muffler? What about the resonator?

I'm interested...
I believe the Comptech exhaust leaves the third muffler in their system but the GHL system would not have a third muffler. Yes, another resonator would be included in the system. I do not have a picture of the staggered tips at this time but when my car was up on the rack and they were toying around with the tips to show me how they would look and it really looked fucking nice!
Old 07-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by ITL
My requirements:
-Tips would defintely have to flow with the stock bumper
-Price would be key as there is not much of a performance gain with the exhaust. $900 is a bit steep for only a few measly hp...hell, the E-shift procats nearly triple hp per $ over any exhaust for almost the same price. A low intial price strategy might boost sales enough to get the product out.
-no resonance or drone from the exhaust, just a nice deep tone that's not raspy or overbearing

We talked about drone and the tone of the exhaust. I told him that no one wants a loud drone at cruizing speeds and that the comptech exhaust was a bit too quiet. He said he should be able to accomplish our requests.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:26 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What exactly do you mean by a 'staggered' tip. It sounds like 2.5" is pretty small for a tip IMO.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:38 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

2.5" is regarding the piping, not the tips.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:50 PM
TTL PKG

Twig, I would say this is about 2 months 2 late to get alot of the guys who have been actively looking for an exhaust recently. Most have gone the Magnaflow route like myself to achieve the sound and look that they wanted. I probably would have considered this had it been an option. Hopefully we get some new blood on here that are looking to do some mods. Whatever happens with this, it will be nice to have more options for an aftermarket exhaust on the TL.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by ussi
What exactly do you mean by a 'staggered' tip. It sounds like 2.5" is pretty small for a tip IMO.

I agree that 2.5'' sounds small for a tip but this would be dual 2.5'' tips on each side for a total of 4 tips.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by brigsaz
Twig, I would say this is about 2 months 2 late to get alot of the guys who have been actively looking for an exhaust recently. Most have gone the Magnaflow route like myself to achieve the sound and look that they wanted. I probably would have considered this had it been an option. Hopefully we get some new blood on here that are looking to do some mods. Whatever happens with this, it will be nice to have more options for an aftermarket exhaust on the TL.
I do agree that this might be a little late and I wish I spoke with GHL a few months ago. Like you said, maybe we can get sime new blood. I saw some of their work for VW's and let me tell you they do some really kick ass shit.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:42 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would like to see another exhaust system developed. I to would like to see a tip that matches the car. As for the sound, keep it down, not need to make it sound like a Civic. Keep it low like a stock G35, with the flow need for the extra horses. I have personally like the car quite. I was behind a S2000 this morning with a Comptech exhaust on it, and didn't car for it. I want the performance gain without the noise, and most of the older TL drivers (27+) probably feel the same way. I have had loud cars, I am past that at this point.

Once you get some pics, get them up so others can see what this looks like. Since you are the only one that has seen it, its hard for most to understand what you are talking about. I assume you will have a few weeks before you get any real work done on it? Are they going to do dyno testing with it? What kind of mods do you have on your car? These are things that are going to effect the results. I currently have the E-shift cats and stock exhaust and I like the it. I can handle a little more growl, but do not want a tin can!!

Keep us posted.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:43 PM
TTL PKG

I bet! Can't wait to see what they come up with for the TL.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:04 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
This is a great idea...as for "its too late"...ah...thats the kind of thinking that stifles creation! Dont pay attention to that.....there will always be more....what they are saying is...its too late for me....which should have NO bearing on your decision whatsoever.

This is a neat idea....should be interesting to see what you guys come up with. In order to legitimize your product, I would suggest getting a base-line dyno run before and after any mods you do to compare/contrast. That being said....2.5" diameter is the same as Comptech...so thats prob a good idea...not sure I would care for the dual tips on each side whatsoever....dont think it would look good in the outlet hole in the bumper...nor do I care for the look in general.

Pricing....that you are gonna have to feel out. $100 less than the Comptech system would not really sway me, given the research and development put into the comptech system and their familiarity with Acura and Honda products. Not doubting these people whatsoever, I just havent heard of em....which again...means nothing in reality...just that it would have to be getting more into the $250 less stage before I would even consider it.

Not trying to disuade you at all....just telling you my opinions. I think it is great to see somebody else develop things for the TL and urge you on fully!!
Old 07-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by Black_05_TL_6SP
I would like to see another exhaust system developed. I to would like to see a tip that matches the car. As for the sound, keep it down, not need to make it sound like a Civic. Keep it low like a stock G35, with the flow need for the extra horses. I have personally like the car quite. I was behind a S2000 this morning with a Comptech exhaust on it, and didn't car for it. I want the performance gain without the noise, and most of the older TL drivers (27+) probably feel the same way. I have had loud cars, I am past that at this point.

Once you get some pics, get them up so others can see what this looks like. Since you are the only one that has seen it, its hard for most to understand what you are talking about. I assume you will have a few weeks before you get any real work done on it? Are they going to do dyno testing with it? What kind of mods do you have on your car? These are things that are going to effect the results. I currently have the E-shift cats and stock exhaust and I like the it. I can handle a little more growl, but do not want a tin can!!

Keep us posted.
I spoke to them about sound and we both agreed that it needs to have some volume but does not need to sound like you have tin cans on the back. I won't have any real pics for a few weeks. I am going back in 2 saturdays and they are dedicating the entire day to my car. They are going to fit it all up. test for sound and make adjustments. Then they will put my stock exhaust back on so they can finish up all of the minor modifications they need to do.

Yes I will do a before and after Dyno. Currently the only performance upgrade I have is an AEM CAI.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
This is a great idea...as for "its too late"...ah...thats the kind of thinking that stifles creation! Dont pay attention to that.....there will always be more....what they are saying is...its too late for me....which should have NO bearing on your decision whatsoever.

This is a neat idea....should be interesting to see what you guys come up with. In order to legitimize your product, I would suggest getting a base-line dyno run before and after any mods you do to compare/contrast. That being said....2.5" diameter is the same as Comptech...so thats prob a good idea...not sure I would care for the dual tips on each side whatsoever....dont think it would look good in the outlet hole in the bumper...nor do I care for the look in general.

Pricing....that you are gonna have to feel out. $100 less than the Comptech system would not really sway me, given the research and development put into the comptech system and their familiarity with Acura and Honda products. Not doubting these people whatsoever, I just havent heard of em....which again...means nothing in reality...just that it would have to be getting more into the $250 less stage before I would even consider it.

Not trying to disuade you at all....just telling you my opinions. I think it is great to see somebody else develop things for the TL and urge you on fully!!
Thanks for your input and I won't let it disuade me on going through with this mod. It seems no one really likes the idea of a dual tip exhaust. Is it because other cars like Audi, BMW, Mercedes have them and we want to be different? Or is it because of the shape of the cut out in the rear of the car? We measure everything and there is 5.5'' to work with on each side of the bumper. I thought the offset dual tips would look really good but we also discussed a stock style tip as well.

GHL does great work and I encourgae everyone to check out there page. GHL MOTORSPORTS
Old 07-05-2006, 04:34 PM
5mins2disney.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Personally I would never consider ANY exhaust system that didn't have the "stock" looking tips. I think any of the aftermarket ones all look like crap personally on the TLs, due to the bumper cutouts.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:38 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by twigglius
Thanks for your input and I won't let it disuade me on going through with this mod. It seems no one really likes the idea of a dual tip exhaust. Is it because other cars like Audi, BMW, Mercedes have them and we want to be different? Or is it because of the shape of the cut out in the rear of the car? We measure everything and there is 5.5'' to work with on each side of the bumper. I thought the offset dual tips would look really good but we also discussed a stock style tip as well.

GHL does great work and I encourgae everyone to check out there page. GHL MOTORSPORTS
Ya....probably cause the dual tips have been done before....but hey...you never know...you may do it and find people take to it after they see it. Myself...I am thinking that it is too VW or Audi to me.

So far as GHL; I am sure they are very reputable as it appears that they hold a patent on technology they have developed...so they have to be good at something! BUT>what I am seeing is a lack of experience or even mention of Honda or Acura whatsoever? Would they be familiar with what backpressure is needed to make the car run right, ect? Will they know how to engineer the product to work on the Acura motor right?

Again...not knocking ya...just posing questions that one might consider before purchasing or investing money in a newly developed product to try to help you overcome any possible objections ahead of time. You would want to attempt to answer these or address them anyway in your sales pitch!
Old 07-05-2006, 05:32 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

I'm not interested in any type of dual tip setup. It would be great to have some tips that fit well with the bumper

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Pricing.......$100 less than the Comptech system would not really sway me.....it would have to be getting more into the $250 less stage before I would even consider it.
Agreed.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

i commend you on your efforts. I'd have to see it and hear it before i decide on whether i'd want to buy it
Old 07-05-2006, 05:52 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I'd like to see how dual tips would look. I've been thinking about it for a long time but thats about it.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by subinf
I'd like to see how dual tips would look. I've been thinking about it for a long time but thats about it.

I want the dual tips as well but I'd rather go with what people are requesting. Seems like if people are going to buy this the tips would need to be similar to the stock ones.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
I would love to see dual tips as well, or maybe if they can manufacture dual tips alone? =)
Old 07-06-2006, 05:42 AM
Drifting

I've already got Magnaflow, but a cat-back sounds good. Like the idea of twin tips.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I think dual tips would look good if they completely fill the cutout...that's why the CT stands out so much, there's a sizeable gap.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by chill_dog
I think dual tips would look good if they completely fill the cutout...that's why the CT stands out so much, there's a sizeable gap.

It would fill out the cut out. The cut out is 5.5 inches and they would be using 2, 2.5'' tips. That only leaves 1/4'' on each side for extra space.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by aznbo187
I would love to see dual tips as well, or maybe if they can manufacture dual tips alone? =)

I will talk to them about manufacturing dual tips as well for people that already have exhausts and want to purchase just the tips.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:12 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Twigglius,
I'd love to call in and talk to Jeff or Brian. I've worked with GHL in the past. Next you call in, let them know Kennedy the US Marine with the Diesel Jetta is in on this with you.

2 Years ago, I had these guys design a complete and total turbo back exhaust system for my VW Jetta TDI (Diesel), based on the existing cat-backs for the 1.8T gasser engines. They we're completely great to work with.

Here's some threads discussing the end producs (downpipe and cat-back):

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...&highlight=GHL

Needless to say, GHL prducst are the best out there. They're one of the only exhaust companies to do work for Ferrari's.

They're piping is unbelieveable... All polished, heavy duty stuff... Like nothing else out there. They use pipe benders from an aicraft carriers. All thier welds are immaccualte, and the system is purely bolt on. I'm so glad to see someone find these guys.

Only reason I haven't approached them yet, is I've been too lazy with other mod stuff. This rocks.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Twigglius,
I'd love to call in and talk to Jeff or Brian. I've worked with GHL in the past. Next you call in, let them know Kennedy the US Marine with the Diesel Jetta is in on this with you.

2 Years ago, I had these guys design a complete and total turbo back exhaust system for my VW Jetta TDI (Diesel), based on the existing cat-backs for the 1.8T gasser engines. They we're completely great to work with.

Here's some threads discussing the end producs (downpipe and cat-back):

Needless to say, GHL prducst are the best out there. They're one of the only exhaust companies to do work for Ferrari's.

They're piping is unbelieveable... All polished, heavy duty stuff... Like nothing else out there. They use pipe benders from an aicraft carriers. All thier welds are immaccualte, and the system is purely bolt on. I'm so glad to see someone find these guys.

Only reason I haven't approached them yet, is I've been too lazy with other mod stuff. This rocks.
Thanks for the support Kennedy. I'm glad to see someone is here to back their reputation and workamanship. Jeff took me on a tour and showed me the pipe bender that the air craft carriers use. That mo-fo costs about $250,000. Like you said, I believe the system will be purely bolt on. He said he could ship it in 3 or 4 pieces.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:55 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Thats cool Twig! Keep it up man....excited to see what you guys come up with!
Old 07-06-2006, 06:07 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Your right...there is a bigger gap with Comptech tips....
Old 07-06-2006, 06:11 PM
One on the right for me

twigg: by all means go with the tips that generate the most feedback. that would be sweet if you could talk them into making some separate twin tips that i could just weld on to the mufflers i already have. good luck with this project, i hope everything works out with it.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by subinf
twigg: by all means go with the tips that generate the most feedback. that would be sweet if you could talk them into making some separate twin tips that i could just weld on to the mufflers i already have. good luck with this project, i hope everything works out with it.
Yeah, I would definately be interested in twin tips as well, round, and staggered with the bumper. Hopefully they will be able to design something like that! Even something similar to the Ferrari tips would be sweet, I Bet!
Old 07-07-2006, 12:07 AM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by aznbo187
Yeah, I would definately be interested in twin tips as well, round, and staggered with the bumper. Hopefully they will be able to design something like that! Even something similar to the Ferrari tips would be sweet, I Bet!

Round and staggered with the bumper is exactly what Jeff and I discussed.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

I've done the Magnaflow exhaust and replaced the pipe from the resonator back with 2.5" all the way back to the tips. I reused the stock tips. Costs $255 in parts and $200 (or less) for labor/install. That beats CT by $500.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would like something that looks similar to stock
Old 07-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Moved to the LOU

Originally Posted by Silver Bullet
I've done the Magnaflow exhaust and replaced the pipe from the resonator back with 2.5" all the way back to the tips. I reused the stock tips. Costs $255 in parts and $200 (or less) for labor/install. That beats CT by $500.

Not to offend but I think you are missing the point. This is not some slap together exhaust. We are talking about something that is fully custom made by a company who does exhaust work for Ferrari's and also helped put Porsche in second place in the 24 hours of Daytona. This exhaust will be cheaper than Comptech and I have no doubt it will be better. Will it cost more than a Magnaflow, of course but it will be well worth it.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:02 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
will this exhaust pass California smog emissions?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:03 AM
One on the right for me

Originally Posted by Ka0tik
will this exhaust pass California smog emissions?

yes
Old 07-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Pro

This sound like a great idea...i cant wait. BUT excuse my ignorance but im not too sure what is meant by "staggard" Tips.

Is this what u considered staggered tips?

Just curious to know before i get all excited

Travis

Quick Reply: GHL Motorsports to design 3G TL exhaust!