Feeler: SC custom intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 03:48 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Feeler: SC custom intake

Hi all, so i noticed my AEM intake was leaking air cuz i did some halfass install on it using a fugly plastic sleeve. Now i got a real intake, and was thinking for those with superchargers who haven't done the CAI mod this would be perfect cuz i love my new intake. So basically i'm throwing this feeler thread out there and if there is enough interest you guys can get the same intake as me! Here are the details:

Who: Those with superchargers
What: Custom 3" aluminum intake. Essentially the same as a AEM CAI (which i think is 2 3/4")
Why: Cuz is sounds f&%*ing badass, anyone who has this or has heard it will agree. This intake has proper mounts on it using existing screw holes so it won't clank around when driving.
When: When i get like ~10 ppl interested
How (much): I paid like $150 for the parts/labor/install/paint. I really don't know how much I can get it for group rate but i'm just throwing that out there as a ballpark so you know what I paid.

I got mine painted black for the hell of it...it started out as polished aluminum but i'm thinking you guys can do whatever you want with it. Here's some pics of what it looks like:

Old 12-06-2006, 04:40 PM
DER NEUE ^

I like it, looks clean and free flowing, if only it was all silver or polished that would be perfect for me. I gotta decide if I should keep the comptech intake or go for this now. Why does noone like Comptech's set up? This is great though, again better than what I have now, hacked Injen with plastic piece.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:52 PM
300whp 237wtrq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm down. looks like it's well built.

-Andrew
Old 12-06-2006, 07:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Count me in.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:56 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Haha i bet you're loving that custom cold air for your charger. I burned so much gas the first week after i did mine just so i could hear it.

For people with the superchargers that havent done this mod, you should definitely consider it if you like the sound of gears turning.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:36 AM
I (don't) whine.

yeah i freaking love it..by far one of the best cheapest mods out there.

ok so it will probably come polished or some silver color and you can paint it yourself.. but i really need more interest in this for it to happen.

Actros - if you have the plastic sleeve with the AEM like i did its bound to fall apart like mine in a few months..and the sound out of this intake is just ridicolous..sounds similiar to the AEM when i first got it but better.

ok so those interested are:

1) Dan k
2) Mugen R
3) Actros (maybe)

come on i know there are more SC guys out there who haven't done this!
Old 12-07-2006, 03:16 AM
tehLEGOman

It's the coolest modification ever. It deserves a patent.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:30 PM
DER NEUE ^

My question is how come nobody uses Comptech's ice box? There must be a reason why you guys and I ditched it in favor of first a crappy Injen/AEM intake hack and now this custom job . Ussi I'm not trying to hijack, just curious.

Also I know that Mike Benz also recently supercharged came up with his own custom intake so it would be great if he chimed in so that we could discuss both designs and may be come up with one perfect intake. He told me he will do a right up soon but it'd be great if he posted his 2cents here.

I'm all go for a better intake for our supercharges just don't want to get one than another, If I go for anything it better be permanent and the best solution possible. So yeah for now I'm undecided just gotta see Mike's design first, don't get me wrong Ussi I love what you've done and appreciate you helping us to find the best solution.

Also there is a question of price, if you get more people wanting to get this would you be able to get this done for less than $150, say a $100?

It would be great to know what you are using as a filter and where the filter itself is located in the fender? Pics? Thanks
Old 12-07-2006, 04:00 PM
I (don't) whine.

^^I would say the biggest improvement over comptechs air box is the sound. This intake sounds 10x better and makes the SC just scream. I think i did feel a bit more response on as the mash the throttle.

I just threw the price out there for a ballpark..it will be less if we get enough people..keep in mind my price was for ONE intake, installation, paint, etc. For those that buy it will probably have to install themselves and can probably paint it themselves also...besides buying 10 as opposed to 1 will def be cheaper. Besides, you're not going to be able to find any AEM short ram less than that price anyways.

I just used the same filter that came with my AEM short ram..otherwise you can use any filter that will fit - K&N etc. It might be hard to take pics of it but i'm going to remove the plastic piece in front of the filter so maybe i can snap some shots of it.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:29 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes...I have also already designed and built two different CAI systems for the supercharger applicaion....a multi piece unit as well as a single piece unit. I used larger piping than shown here though. BTW...the AEM unit starts out at the filter at 3.5" and transitions to about 3" at the top. (not to counteract your message, but I have researched this a lot) I wont go any further given it appears USSI is trying to sell these and I dont want to get messed up with that thing and a conflict of interest situation here. Not to mention...AZ kind of frowns on you marketing to their members if you have no vendor agreement in place or dont intend on making one subsequent to the feeler thread. Although this is a feeler thread, I kind of wish to remain at a safe distance. #1 - I do not develop out products for free nor share competitive info #2 - I do not wish to get into the crosshairs of the sponsorship sales guy here on AZ as I am NOT developing out this product on this site as USSI is....but in a speed shop boasting one of the fastest gas Hondas in the Midwest.

Thanks for your interest though guys! I just dont want to get myself in trouble here with the powers that be....Mikey

Old 12-07-2006, 06:23 PM
DER NEUE ^

Hey Mike thanks for dropping in, really I didn't mean to start any war or anything, just didn't know your plans about the whole thing. You got me interested when last time we spoke so I mentioned you. I understand what you talking about though.

And Ussi big thanks for your effort, keep it coming, like I said I don't mean to undermine your project in any way. I was curious what alternative designs are out there and how can we make this intake even better.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:19 PM
tehLEGOman

Go for the gold and find some heat wrap that looks like this....

Old 12-07-2006, 07:37 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Oh...dont worry about it ACTROS....no big deal at all. Honestly. No war involved at all. Its not an original idea by any means...its really all about knowing what size and length piping is gonna work the best, and that isnt hard to figure out either. Several people have done this before...he is just taking the initiative and saying, hey...I can do that for you. Nothing wrong with that...its the American Way! What he has made here looks good, nothing wrong with it at all im my opinion...so I am not knocking it whatsoever. Like he states...it sounds so much better than with the airbox they supply...its very hard not to try to hook something up!
Old 12-08-2006, 01:09 PM
I (don't) whine.

My measurements could be slightly off but i'll re-measure dimensions again this weekend....

still waiting for more interest......
Old 12-08-2006, 03:34 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by ussi
My measurements could be slightly off but i'll re-measure dimensions again this weekend....

still waiting for more interest......
Yes...I think the AEM filter that you use is 3.5" on the basic CAI....no biggie though...we are talking a blower here...BUT...you are headed in the direction. Thats what I was concerned about is having a bunch of inventory around for a one off application that has limited sales potential due to the semi-exclusiveness of the SC application....but you never know...you may find different. I have put about five into production...but they havent gotten to the top of the list yet to actually get working on the fabrication of em.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:28 AM
DER NEUE ^

Talking Gimme a better intake

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Oh...dont worry about it ACTROS....no big deal at all. Honestly. No war involved at all. Its not an original idea by any means...its really all about knowing what size and length piping is gonna work the best, and that isnt hard to figure out either. Several people have done this before...he is just taking the initiative and saying, hey...I can do that for you. Nothing wrong with that...its the American Way! What he has made here looks good, nothing wrong with it at all im my opinion...so I am not knocking it whatsoever. Like he states...it sounds so much better than with the airbox they supply...its very hard not to try to hook something up!

Hey Mikey no worries, I meant trouble not war noooooooooooooooo
Both Ussi's and your initiatives are much appreciated I'm sure many here will agree. I like your out of the box thinking, so it's all good! It's just that I'm kinda on the fence right now as to what would be the best solution and you guys helping me get there. I do know though that sometimes searching for the best possible solution can lead to no solution at all cause you looking for that perfect one and nothing else will do. I guess it's all trial and error.

By the way please clear your PM I wanna shoot you a message, thanks.

George
Old 12-10-2006, 11:54 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Oh....Actros....not a problem at all. No war whatsoever. We are all here for the same common good....the betterment of our vehicles!! I dont mind people asking me questions at all...nor picking my brain for ideas....often times some of the best concepts can arise out of this type of interaction as new ideas are fostered and tossed around.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:00 AM
The Boss

looks clean, a great idea for another minor mod

I already did mine with custom AEM intake, which goes all the way down similar to the stock TL with AEM CAI.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:59 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by AcuraDriver2006
looks clean, a great idea for another minor mod

I already did mine with custom AEM intake, which goes all the way down similar to the stock TL with AEM CAI.
I think that is what he did....thats what I did anyway...just didnt use the AEM tubing whatsoever.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:42 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Just off the dyno.....307.1WHP - 240.8 Torque. Not bad for an automatic TL?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:59 PM

Just off the dyno.....307.1WHP - 240.8 Torque. Not bad for an automatic TL?
Those are great numbers for an auto. I just dynoed 316 and 264. Also, either you or ussi need to sell me one of these.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:11 PM
DER NEUE ^

Great results Mikey, happy for ya! Enough?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:00 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by ACTROS
Great results Mikey, happy for ya! Enough?
Well...we can get it to about 350WHP we believe...but it will require splicing in a fuel management system that up to now...nobody else has done that I have found or made one for...along with a few other goodies....but trust me....it can be done with a little work and a LOT of money. We may work on a intercooler set up next though prior to that...which should also result in a gain of about 40-50HP with the cooler charge/high boost pulley combo. Heat is an issue with this application, no doubt!
Old 12-15-2006, 11:09 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by dan.....k
Those are great numbers for an auto. I just dynoed 316 and 264. Also, either you or ussi need to sell me one of these.
I am not a vendor on here anymore...therefore cannot with good faith enter into those types of conversations. I just want all the "powers that be" to know that. When I am ready to release something...I would then again possibly become a vendor again and we can talk in that vein....but I do not wish to present myself as anything other than totally above board...and it would not be right nor fair to market products to people here without having gone though the appropriate measures/channels first as should be done. Thanks for understanding the situation. I do not wish to get myself nor you in any danger of being in some "grey area" as the fact is...we are not....as I am not selling products on here...just discussing ideas and developments....and nothing more.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Banned

any update on this?
Old 02-26-2007, 03:51 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

They should be out shortly. I am having two units developed. A one peice unit and a multi peice unit. The multi is a bit easier to install and what I am running right now but we have one being put together into a solid singe tube and should test fit it shortly. I think the one peice is going to be where the demand is....I can do multi peice units right now though. Having them welded costs more money though.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:52 PM

Very interested in this Mikey.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:59 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dan.....k
Very interested in this Mikey.
Ditto
Old 02-26-2007, 06:15 PM
DER NEUE ^

Thumbs up

Mikey please send one my way when you are done, you know I want it!
Payment sent!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:48 AM
I (don't) whine.

Mike, i'm glad you're producing these...MUST have for a S/C'd
Old 02-27-2007, 06:55 PM
-=2005 TL=-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, I don't want to impede on the thread, but can you guys please just go on this thread and just add your names to the petition even if you guys already have exhausts, whether comptech or not, whether you want an exhaust or not, i need names (bodies) to sign up on the petition so we can get GReddy to manufacture us a catback...Thank you for your cooperation. Here's the website:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153880
Old 03-21-2007, 08:04 PM
DER NEUE ^

Hey Mike how's that once piece badboy coming? Any updates?
Now I don't mean to be a pain in the azz but I sure would appreciate if you keep us posted on your progress whether on this thread or a PM. Just letting you know that there is an interest out here for your blower improvement projects. Thanks a bunch bro!

Ussi sorry for a major thread jack and thanks for your great idea
Old 03-21-2007, 11:35 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Yes.....the two peice is ready...one peice to follow shortly after as I need to finalize some testing on it.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:45 PM
SC+TL= maddness

hey mike put me down for a one piece
Old 03-22-2007, 09:52 AM
DER NEUE ^

Thumbs up Right on

Yes.....the two peice is ready...one peice to follow shortly after as I need to finalize some testing on it.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:22 PM
Banned

any updates on this?
Old 04-26-2007, 07:44 AM

I want one so badly! Keep us updated Mike.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:38 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

yeah ditto I had to ghetto rig mine, i just put the cone at the end of tube of the throttle body, and I went to pep boys for a lil cone for the vacuum hose haha, i have to fix my supercharger, me and 3 other friends installed it (cost of it was free) haha, better than acura charging 900 bucks, that and I know what to do with the supercharger and junk, I get my car back tomorrow from the dealership cause they have to bleed the power steering pump and refill it for me haha
~Jason
Old 09-19-2012, 01:18 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry to bring back from dead, but does any1 sell something like this for the s/c kit?

If not, what do I need exactly to get this done. Do I buy a cai setup off eBay and a filter? Anyone knows EXactly what I need?
Old 09-19-2012, 01:22 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^didn't someone already tell you in your other thread?

Quick Reply: Feeler: SC custom intake