Extreme Teaser: Another real tuning option? :D

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonnick
Call me crazy, but I didn't see anything that specifically stated timing can be advanced. I did see ignition retard and plenty of "ignition" based parameters, but nothing that specifically said it can be advanced. I'm assuming it can, and if so, this sounds great.
It would be worthless to have that many features and leave out ignition timing maps. If you look at TunerStudio, the ignition table looks like this:

Old 04-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
good to see a company finally looking to break the J series, but I am glad I went with the JnR unit and even better since Rodney is a small time company and personally I would much rather deal with a smaller company then some large company as I know the customer service will never be like JnR's........

But am glad to see that there is going to be other tuning options, as the JnR ECU is not for everyone, but on a sidenote to think JnR is too expensive is a bit ridiculous.....being what it offers and the gains you get the price is spot on IMHO....

Either just my 2cents .....Nonetheless great thread and hope it works out and becomes available soon as the Jseries is long overdue for some much needed attention in the aftermarket world!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 12:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
good to see a company finally looking to break the J series, but I am glad I went with the JnR unit and even better since Rodney is a small time company and personally I would much rather deal with a smaller company then some large company as I know the customer service will never be like JnR's........

But am glad to see that there is going to be other tuning options, as the JnR ECU is not for everyone, but on a sidenote to think JnR is too expensive is a bit ridiculous.....being what it offers and the gains you get the price is spot on IMHO....

Either just my 2cents .....Nonetheless great thread and hope it works out and becomes available soon as the Jseries is long overdue for some much needed attention in the aftermarket world!!!
Not to take anything away from Rodney, but not necessarily true. HR Tuning is relatively small, and is known for having "bend over backwards" service; much, much better than Hondata.
The following users liked this post:
maharajamd (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
Not to take anything away from Rodney, but not necessarily true. HR Tuning is relatively small, and is known for having "bend over backwards" service; much, much better than Hondata.
Indeed.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:04 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonSilverTypeS
But am glad to see that there is going to be other tuning options, as the JnR ECU is not for everyone, but on a sidenote to think JnR is too expensive is a bit ridiculous.....being what it offers and the gains you get the price is spot on IMHO....!
I'm a relative n00b when it comes to the concept of tuning, so can you give a Coles Notes version of what you mean by this? What kind of gains and for what attributes (whp, wtq, mpg...)?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
wow!! is this actually gonna happen anytime soon??
my money is ready and waiting!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by VicTL06
I'm a relative n00b when it comes to the concept of tuning, so can you give a Coles Notes version of what you mean by this? What kind of gains and for what attributes (whp, wtq, mpg...)?
Well on my first tune session done with Rodney himself we got 24whp/22lbs gain and then few months later he sent me a adjusted map that yielded over 30whp/26lbs and as far as mpg's I been averaging 28ish in city only driving and 34-36mpg driving between 60-80mph....I believe Gerzand also posted on a thread after he fine tuned he was getting 29mpg's on a heavy foot and he has stage 2 camshafts done to his TypeS 6mt

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Ok I will give you as I havent really heard any horror stories from HR , but when I meant small I should of just said One man operation more like it lol....but Like I said it's good to see another source of tuning being available to the Jseries market!!
VicTL06 (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 11:52 PM
05' AT SSM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember stumbling upon this tuning option for accords awhile back, i hope it is similar to this like others have already stated. Data logging and ease of use small obd2 style plugin. This one runs for around $700 which still seems excessive.

The megasquirt is very nice, and works just as well. If your a diy'r with small electronic experience you can get the same package for alot less then 1k.

Either way i'm super excited to see these tuning/monitoring options available, Ha and i bet the only reason they gave the Acura TL any attention was because of all the J32 engine swaps going on in those honda civics and hatches. Either way
Old 04-23-2012, 08:46 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
^^^ THIS !!!

you can get the MS3 for like 400ish if you know what you are doing....and if you can solder your way away.....

otherwise for around 800-ish you can get the MS3 and the patch harness....again you need to create a bap map from ground up....there will be no settings and absolute ZERO info and support provided by anyone.....

I think Rodney is charging a decent price for the MS3 taking into consideration is almost plug and play.....also what matters to me is the customer service.....i have seen Rodney bend over backwards for members when their harness is not working or they received the wrong harness or some settings in the ECU were missed out....

I am really looking forward to this product as it might open a whole new world of tuning....maybe other companies will look into and provide some tuning options to/for the Jseries....
Old 04-23-2012, 11:11 AM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
Anil, any updates on that message you sent them?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 AM
5th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi guys. I'd just like to clear a few things up, since what I've discussed privately with some of my dealers has been passed on in what appears to be an exaggerated fashion.

We are working extensively with 04+ ECUs which include K series, S2K, and J series options. Saying "All J Series" would extend outside of the years we're working with, so that is misinformation.

I think this was prematurely posted information. I don't have a planned release date for anything J series related, so please do not wait if you're in need. Making use of the extensive list of K series ECUs (Accord, CRV, Element, etc) in this year range that are currently being regarded to as useless is our first goal in an effort to make it more affordable to swap to a K series platform.

The features quoted earlier and photos of our tuning software are from the OBD1 tuning platform and should not be confused with what we're working on for the new market.

Yes I have worked on Mercedes, but nobody has threatened to sue me over it and I've never owned one myself in any capacity. I'd also never overcharge someone like that. That's not the type of business I want to run or how I want to be perceived, so please watch the information you put out. I do what I do because I enjoy it and as long as I can pay the bills I'm happy.

Thanks guys.
The following 7 users liked this post by HRTuning:
3gstealth (04-23-2012), Hacura (04-23-2012), JCharged (04-23-2012), justnspace (04-23-2012), KN_TL (04-23-2012), maharajamd (04-23-2012), VicTL06 (04-23-2012) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Safety Car

There goes the OP's credibility in my mind.....

Thanks for coming aboard and clearing this up for us!!
justnspace (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:25 AM
5th Gear

He was correct on some level, but perhaps mistook some of what was being discussed. When you get excited that tends to happen.

I do look forward to providing an option for you guys in the near future.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 AM
All motor

News travels fast ha. Thanks for posting here "HRTuning."

Much respect for what you guys are doing. I understand you've put out some great stuff through the years, so we are anxious as to what will (hopefully) come out for the J series.

As said, you have no planned release date for the J series software. Damn K's get all the attention!! Now with regards to the J series ECUS, have you tried to decipher them before, or is this something you plan to do in the near future?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HRTuning
He was correct on some level, but perhaps mistook some of what was being discussed. When you get excited that tends to happen.

I can understand the confusion about the product info, it's the Merc story I am referring to.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:35 AM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Big J market needing management that don't want to pay 1k +.

Any chance a group buy list would get you more interested in the J sooner ?
Old 04-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by richardparker

Please don't- as that will result in this thread getting locked.

HR- welcome to the forums. Hope you get this project up and running. Obviously, there is a lot of interest.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Race Director

Hi guys. I'd just like to clear a few things up, since what I've discussed privately with some of my dealers has been passed on in what appears to be an exaggerated fashion.

Take note of how he said that.

We are working extensively with 04+ ECUs which include K series, S2K, and J series options. Saying "All J Series" would extend outside of the years we're working with, so that is misinformation.

Did I post all Js?

I think this was prematurely posted information. I don't have a planned release date for anything J series related, so please do not wait if you're in need. Making use of the extensive list of K series ECUs (Accord, CRV, Element, etc) in this year range that are currently being regarded to as useless is our first goal in an effort to make it more affordable to swap to a K series platform.

The features quoted earlier and photos of our tuning software are from the OBD1 tuning platform and should not be confused with what we're working on for the new market.

I most certainly explained that as it only makes sense. I posted that stuff for people who have no idea about you and your products.

Originally Posted by KN_TL
There goes the OP's credibility in my mind.....

Thanks for coming aboard and clearing this up for us!!
Don't know what to say here...fuck you works pretty well though? Lol. I can't even post a rumor, which is directly from said "dealer", and I loose my credibility?

On top of that the info provided here wasn't too far off and as said from the source above, obviously, something is coming 'in the near future'. So, not sure how I did anything here that demands me loosing my credibility...

I expected nothing more from someone who is on the leading edge of the current "offering". I'm actually surprised you all have been so tame... Which is sad I had to think about it like that.

It's good to now know that someone can post something with good intentions and still be shit on.

Thanks for that. I didn't mean to jump the gun, I just relayed what was directly said to me.

We eagerly await said option.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:50 AM

GGESQ,
I would not be the one to make the list if that's how your responding to.
Just asking a question to hr tunning.
If he see's a absured interest ,he might have more interest himself to produce.
Also I'm sure he could spend a couple of $ to be a vendor and could post his own GB list.

You sound like you would not want a option for the J to come threw by saying Thread will get locked.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
^ really? LOL. Did you not read my second, third and fourth sentence? If you have an issue with my moderating decisions, please PM me and we can have a civil discussion. Otherwise, I don't want to ruin this thread. Thanks.

EDIT- the reason for no group buy lists at this time is because HRTuning has not made a decision on whether or not they would like to be a vendor. If they do decide to be one, then yes a group buy list is obviously appropriate.

Last edited by ggesq; 04-23-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:59 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Sonnick
News travels fast ha. Thanks for posting here "HRTuning."

Much respect for what you guys are doing. I understand you've put out some great stuff through the years, so we are anxious as to what will (hopefully) come out for the J series.

As said, you have no planned release date for the J series software. Damn K's get all the attention!! Now with regards to the J series ECUS, have you tried to decipher them before, or is this something you plan to do in the near future?
Thanks. I have worked with the J platform and a reflash may be the first thing released. J tuning software may come very shortly after the K stuff is released. They're not all that dissimilar.

Originally Posted by richardparker
Big J market needing management that don't want to pay 1k +.

Nope. Money is not my main motivation for what I do, that's just a perk I see as a result of the time I put in. The K is the first platform because of some of the articles that will be released *soon* about how to put together an affordable K swap. Honda/Acura has been my favorite market to do work in because of the community and how involved and open it is. It's not that way in some of the other markets I've done work in. If I can get a platform out there for you guys I will certainly do it.

Originally Posted by Maharajamd
Thanks for that. I didn't mean to jump the gun, I just relayed what was directly said to me.
Just not sure where that Mercedes info came from hehe, but I'm certainly going to have to watch who I give info to in the future. It was meant to be private.
maharajamd (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 12:02 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ggesq
EDIT- the reason for no group buy lists at this time is because HRTuning has not made a decision on whether or not they would like to be a vendor. If they do decide to be one, then yes a group buy list is obviously appropriate.
When the time comes I'll certainly pursue the proper channels.
The following 6 users liked this post by HRTuning:
3gstealth (04-23-2012), anx1300c (04-25-2012), ggesq (04-23-2012), maharajamd (04-23-2012), richardparker (04-23-2012), Sonnick (04-23-2012) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-23-2012, 12:03 PM

Double G,
Your first sentence say's it all.

And no thanks with the PM convo, lame-o

Last edited by richardparker; 04-23-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Race Director

HRT - I'm so sorry...you're PM box is full already. LOL

Free up a PM slot and I'll resend my PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:10 PM
5th Gear

Should be free already.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:31 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
waiting to see/hear more info....
Old 04-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,007 Likes on 14,511 Posts
A straight reflash would just be pop out old ecu and pop in a reflashed one? Just curious...I guess there must be some sort of generic reflash that could be considered "safe" across the board based on the mods you might have?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Race Director

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/0807...h/viewall.html
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Racer

So there is still
Hope !!!

Good article btw. I learned something lol
maharajamd (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Locomaaan
So there is still
Hope !!!

Good article btw. I learned something lol
No problem boss.

And it looks like a bright future to me.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Nothing against HRTuning, but for a "few hundred bucks more" you can get the J&R ECU. Is it worth waiting an unknown time to save a few more bucks? Just curious.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Race Director

I don't have a planned release date for anything J series related, so please do not wait if you're in need.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
its funny how much the J series is so different from everything else... its like they purposely made something to not be tuned... does anyone know of any other brand that is so difficult to tune? and tlaking about brands less than $100k
Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 AM
Race Director

After reading HRTs responses it seems to me most if not all newer OBDII ecus share a common tuning issue. They have focused their efforts on the K series (biggest market) but can probably port/jump the same principals over to the Js.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:17 AM
All motor

Yea he mentioned the new K & J are pretty similar.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
hopefully then can do the rdx as well since its a k series engine
Old 04-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Race Director

We are working extensively with 04+ ECUs which include K series, S2K, and J series options. Making use of the extensive list of K series ECUs (Accord, CRV, Element, etc) in this year range that are currently being regarded to as useless is our first goal in an effort to make it more affordable to swap to a K series platform.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
hmmm my gut feeling is that they will skip the J series as the red headed step child
Darnell Morris (06-04-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Race Director

Did you not just read the quote of the quote of the quote I just quoted? Lol
Old 04-24-2012, 03:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Nothing against HRTuning, but for a "few hundred bucks more" you can get the J&R ECU. Is it worth waiting an unknown time to save a few more bucks? Just curious.
Well yeah really, im in no rush for tuning at the moment, it will only satisfy my need for modding for a lil while anywy lol. All joking aside though, yea i will save cash in the meantime and if it comes out in the near future i will have enough cash saved up for it and also some cash set aside for dyno tuning

Heres hoping

Quick Reply: Extreme Teaser: Another real tuning option? :D