Excelerate V2 J-Pipe Review/Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excelerate V2 J-Pipe Review/Issues

Recently picked up a J-Pipe directly from Excelerate. As of past experience it was always best to deal direct with a company who makes the part. I read a bunch of marketing for this thing claiming high gains of as high of 30 WTQ! I had to have it . I was excited when i got the box and tore in it like little boy on Christmas morning.

It took me some time to heat the huts to remove them without snapping any studs. Besides that the install was straight forward. As I removed the TypeS J pipe I noticed how heavy it was comparing to the Excelerate pipe. What I did notice as well is that the stock J-pipe on the TypeS isn't looking to be as restrictive as claimed. It does pancake but in a way where the volumetric efficiency doesn't seem to change as it goes into a larger single pipe and then into a very large high flow cat. Haven't seen the base TL's pipe but this one looked to be very well designed. First I put a couple of nuts on the header side to just hold up the pipe some to give me some room to install the hanger onto the bushing and thats when I ran into problems. The hanger rod on the pipe was welded to high and when installed it was pinching the rubber hanger vs fitting lose as intended.

This picture was taken after my test drive and the pipe did beat agains the hanger and stock bracket and actually worked itself a bit more lose than it was on the initial install. Note that the hanging rod is slightly bent where it meets the pipe. I also felt vibration and reverberations into the cabin as I started up the car and during my drive.

Even though it was advertised not to need any cutting done these clearances are to close for my comfort. IMO when it gets hot it would melt the belly pen.

I havent initially let it rip because I wanted the part to heat cycle and whatever minimal changes in flow there could have been, I wanted the ECU to make necessary changes. I know there is no 02 sensors besides the ones right passed the pre cats but still better be safe than sorry. I then did a few runs averaging about 6 seconds to 60. I didn't feel any gains nor did my time showed any improvement from stock advertised 5.5 seconds to 60. I was a bit disappointed on top of the other issues I have experienced with the install. Needless to say it made less and less sense to keep this $450 dollar part.

Couple days later I took off the type in favor of the stock TypeS unit. I went out to home Depot to pick up some pine straw for my gardening project. I took my wife along with me. I decided to test out the system as the weather was roughly the same a on the night i tested the excelerate pipe. I ran consistent 5.5 0-60 with 60 foot about 2.37 . THe car felt stronger than with excelerate pipe and I had numbers to show the same. On top of having a passenger I had a bail of straw in the trunk.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Update.

I have been actively engaged in trying to have this resolved with Excelerate. Preferably I was hoping to return the part for a refund. I was told it could not be possible as the policy states you cannot return previously installed part. Now, how one must know the part is defective or not fitting right or sold not as described if you not going to install/test it? I was also told that there were many units sold with no issues and no one ever had a problem. According to Excelerate I have no credibility. I returned the pipe to Excelerate's address in NJ and started a credit charge dispute with my bank as I was getting nowhere by talking to them. It is my policy to not get ripped off. There is also consumer laws in place just to deal with these situations. I would not spend my money on the inferior product that is lacking in quality and is clearly not as described. This is not how a customer should be treated, shame on you Excelerate.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
I would find this post to be a lot more credible if you have a dyno or at least let us know what testing method you used to determine the 0-60 speed. Not even trying to be a jackass or anything either, I really just want to know.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:58 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
The problem is your stating IMO, I feel, i was expecting etc, all preferences and self made expectations. How did you document your findings? did you dyno the car before and after? you are just counting by "Mississippies" your 0-60 times. I dont recall them stating the 30 gains. or 0-60 times. you are neglecting to consider you probably have read others reviews and their gains.(not considering there other mods) Or how different it is from the Stock jpipe. Companies have policies stated clearly and you have to respect that. This all seems to be based on IMHO expectations and not false advertising or defective product.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VanyDotK
I would find this post to be a lot more credible if you have a dyno or at least let us know what testing method you used to determine the 0-60 speed. Not even trying to be a jackass or anything either, I really just want to know.
I used a G-tech Pro. Runs were made on the similar day in the exact same location. There were slight weather variations if any. The differences were stock vs Excelerate pipe and I was solo with the aftermarket pipe and passenger and unconventional bail of straw with a stock pipe.

Originally Posted by handsom-hustla
The problem is your stating IMO, I feel, i was expecting etc, all preferences and self made expectations. How did you document your findings? did you dyno the car before and after? you are just counting by "Mississippies" your 0-60 times. I dont recall them stating the 30 gains. or 0-60 times. you are neglecting to consider you probably have read others reviews and their gains.(not considering there other mods) Or how different it is from the Stock jpipe. Companies have policies stated clearly and you have to respect that. This all seems to be based on IMHO expectations and not false advertising or defective product.
This is based on advertisement, my findings, facts and some based on my opinion. I am a business owner and yes I know about consumer laws that are mandated by the county/state that supersede any written company policy ( which is bogus in this case ).

NO, I didn't count off "Mississipies", I cant do that to a tenth of a second. G-tech Pro was used.

I dont have to consider other mods as Excelerate clearly advertises 30 wtq gain based on their rather stock TypeS using their dynapack. Here is the graph taken from their site. (note: 2007 TypeS with k&n intake)

Its ok if they are your friends and you want to defend them. I respect that. It is also my right to give an honest review.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 AM
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 351 Posts
Does this XLR8 V2 pipe have fitment issues?? I was looking into buying it but I dont want to have to worry about it not fitting properly..
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
guess where Honda's make their power?

in VTEC!
not down low.

you'll pull in third gear at 5K RPM
even in 2nd gear at 5-7K RPM
Old 02-18-2013, 08:10 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
nice bail of straw, bro.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zachlone
Does this XLR8 V2 pipe have fitment issues?? I was looking into buying it but I dont want to have to worry about it not fitting properly..
In this case yes. The hanger rod is positioned too high and a body of the pipe is way too close to the plastic belly pan.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 AM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Well after reading your review ill give you my honest opinionionion.

Firstly, you are knew and I don't like someone new coming and bashing things.

Secondly, you have no proof that it didn't make gains. (no, 0-60 times are not proof)

Thirdly, they clearly have written that it is non refundable. They have had hundreds of people buy this product with no problems, and in you come saying bad things about them.

Fourthly, and most importantly, if you own a business then you are very aware of the asshole customers that are out there. Therefore you should be trying to keep yourself from becoming one yourself. I hope you get treated as horribly as you are treating them.

Remember they had a policy and you agreed when you purchased the product. It's your damn fault, buddy.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 AM
Intermediate

Update.

I checked the tracking on the return. It turns out that Excelerate refused it. It doesn't seem like they even attempted to make this right by inspecting the item for said defects.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't think your gonna find much support bashing a well known vendor with a very good reputation. Take your buyers remorse somewhere else, nothing but good things to say about XLR8 here. Feel bad for these guys making quality products, having prompt service and excellent communication and then someone like you has to come along and try to stir shit up, do some research on a product before you buy and take the return policies stated to heart, you aren't special policies apply to you just like everyone else. I ordered the wrong bulbs from TRS, should I start crying and bashing them because they I can't return them, nope. Get over it dude, on the other hand if you want to sell that J pipe....lol.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
To begin, we've already discussed this via email but since you want to address this on the forums we will reiterate it for you. Our Return Policy is laid out right on our website:

http://store.excelerateperformance.com/return-policy

You agree to these terms when your process an order. It states:

All authorized return merchandise must be new, unused, and in its original saleable packaging, and must also include all hardware and documentation.

A Returned Merchandise Authorization must be obtained before any returns can be made. We will not accept any returns without an RMA.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Your j-pipe was installed. It is not new and unused.

The reason the customer gave me for wanting to return the j-pipe was:

The issue is the hanger rod on the pipe is not bent down enough to be properly installed on the car. There is no heat shields to protect some of the components like the stock pipe has and that is also a concern ( it does radiate a lot of heat) There is a change in sound as well which I am not a big fan of. I really don't think the price and advertised gains are worth the money spent.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Now, if there is an issue with the hanger we could help him resolve it. I was asking him to take pictures of the hanger as it's possible it got damaged in shipping but honestly this would be the first time our V2 j-pipe ever had a fitment issue. But he sent back the j-pipe before he sent any pictures. And he sent it back without an RMA, so obviously it was going to be refused.

Also, the real issue seems to be for him that he has buyer's remorse. There is a picture of the item on the website. Nowhere is there a heat shield on it and honestly the heat shields on the factory j-pipe aren't achieving much anyways. Also, he didn't like the change in sound. And he didn't "think" the gains were there.

None of these are reasons to return a product you already installed. Sorry. I was clear but polite throughout the entire process but the customer wants to do it his way. He has even filed a chargeback now he says, which really create a big issue. I even offered him a discount on something else to try to help him offset his costs but he told me:

This is not the way to treat a Veteran.

I wasn't really sure what that meant because we treated him with respect from the beginning. Policies are in place for all customers and the policy was agreed to when the order was placed. I'm sorry we couldn't resolve this but unfortunately you have a one-track way of ending this scenario. And with a chargeback you've paved the way for what it will be.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:13 AM
BANNED

^some people just want to watch the world burn, josh.

i can't believe the guy sent it back without your authorization.

"ok here ya go, here's your jpipe back that i installed and then took off. can i have my money?"
Old 02-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Drifting

good to know hes the only one with fitment issues. XLR8 you are doing the right thing and handling it well. i support you!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:32 AM
Intermediate

Since you really want to go that way...fine by me.
Here is my initial e mail sent on Feb, 9 and not bits and pieces that suits best:

"Hello,

I would like to get an RMA number to return the J-pipe. There were some installation issues in particular the hanger region amongst couple of other things. Please provide the return Address as well. My phone number is XXX-XXX-XX should you ned to call to speak to me.

Thank you,
XXXXX XXXXXXXX"

I am fully aware that RMA was needed.Right from the beginning I was told that pretty much nothing matters even if the part is defective I still can not return it. The policy they have in place simply under any circumstances would allow that.

This email from Excelerate pretty much sums it up:

"I'm sorry you feel that way. However, you wanted to return a product that doesn't qualify for return. There is a Return Policy in place and it's outlined on our website. You cannot return products you don't like. I cannot take a product back that has been installed. Perhaps what we could do is give you a discount on another item to help you out."

Why would I want to buy more stuff from you?

No, Excelerate, I didn't buy this to return it. If it didn't have the issues and was a quality as advertised product then we would have no issues. However I returned it not simply that I didn't like the color of it, hahaha. For all I know I lost power not gained. Unless of course my bail of pine straw in the trunk gave me the extra power to outperform your product.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by MadCleaner
Since you really want to go that way...fine by me.
Here is my initial e mail sent on Feb, 9 and not bits and pieces that suits best:

"Hello,

I would like to get an RMA number to return the J-pipe. There were some installation issues in particular the hanger region amongst couple of other things. Please provide the return Address as well. My phone number is XXX-XXX-XX should you ned to call to speak to me.

Thank you,
XXXXX XXXXXXXX"

I am fully aware that RMA was needed.Right from the beginning I was told that pretty much nothing matters even if the part is defective I still can not return it. The policy they have in place simply under any circumstances would allow that.

This email from Excelerate pretty much sums it up:

"I'm sorry you feel that way. However, you wanted to return a product that doesn't qualify for return. There is a Return Policy in place and it's outlined on our website. You cannot return products you don't like. I cannot take a product back that has been installed. Perhaps what we could do is give you a discount on another item to help you out."

Why would I want to buy more stuff from you?

No, Excelerate, I didn't buy this to return it. If it didn't have the issues and was a quality as advertised product then we would have no issues. However I returned it not simply that I didn't like the color of it, hahaha. For all I know I lost power not gained. Unless of course my bail of pine straw in the trunk gave me the extra power to outperform your product.
Wait, you knew you needed an RMA number, didn't get it, still sent it, and your mad it was refused?!???!!

You are not very bright. Thanks for clearing up just how stupid this is.

Last edited by NvrDwn; 02-18-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
^some people just want to watch the world burn, josh.

i can't believe the guy sent it back without your authorization.

"ok here ya go, here's your jpipe back that i installed and then took off. can i have my money?"
Maybe I should have just done that and saved myself some time going back and forth with Excelerate trying to resolve this in a way that I didn't have to come on here.

IF you are the kind of person to let someone bend you over and take your money. By all means be that person. I served this country and went on 6 tours oversees and I want to put that hard earned money where it matters. Not spend it on poor fitting, under performing product. Damn right i will return it.

Originally Posted by zachlone
good to know hes the only one with fitment issues. XLR8 you are doing the right thing and handling it well. i support you!
I am hardly the only one with issues regarding this product.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Pro

I am hardly the only one with issues regarding this product.
Who else?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NvrDwn
Wait, you knew you needed an RMA number, didn't get it, and still sent it, and your mad it was refused?!???!!

You are not very bright. Thanks for clearing up just how stupid this is.
Yes, thats why I also sent this to them:

"The item has been returned to you. Please see attached copy of the shipping label. A dispute case have been started with my financial institution regarding this charge, as the product received was not as described and fit poorly. Stand-by for a product review on Acurazine. Thank you."

Also got this response:
XXXXXX, you cannot return a product without an RMA. I'm trying to work with you but you're insisting on going about this your own way. You are not following our Return Policy. Since you have chosen to file a chargeback now there is nothing I can do. Once a chargeback is initiated I cannot help you.

^^^^ I could not force you to give me the RMA. RMA is just semantics, you knew the item was coming and deliberately refused it. It was evident I wasn't going to keep this item. Now you are trying to help? Kind off late for that, don't you think?
Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Drifting

^^ this is the first review Ive heard about poor fitment on here.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NvrDwn
Who else?
The search is your friend. But for starters this members pipe is leaking (alec3369). For the record I don't have problem with you not anyone else on here besides Excelerate.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:57 AM
BANNED

Maybe I should have just done that and saved myself some time going back and forth with Excelerate trying to resolve this in a way that I didn't have to come on here.

IF you are the kind of person to let someone bend you over and take your money. By all means be that person. I served this country and went on 6 tours oversees and I want to put that hard earned money where it matters. Not spend it on poor fitting, under performing product. Damn right i will return it.
yeah you got my number. i love bending over and letting people take my money...i thought everyone liked to do that.

there is nothing wrong with the way the jpipe fit, you're just splitting hairs. it's not like XLR8 makes these jpipes with the hopes that they'll fit. they are all cookie cutter designs that have went through countless welds and test fits to ensure proper installation.

one thing to note, is that the 2 long primaries WILL touch some times IF you don't put a spacer in between the pipes before bolting it down. something like a piece of cardboard inbetween. then you tighten down, then you remove the cardboard spacer and you have a little more wiggle room in between the pipes.

you served overseas? ok, that's great and i appreciate what you do for our country...however that has nothing to do with this jpipe and/or excelerate.

you seem to have buyers remorse and the fact that this item didn't give you 100whp makes you think you wasted your money. it's a jpipe...it's not going to turn your family sedan into a race car. it just won't.

you honestly have to add every bolt on you can to feel some major differences on this FWD car. just the way it is.

i'm sorry you are having a rough time understanding this, but this is nothing new.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
^ Hear hear.

Question for OP - I may not have understood the fitment issue. Was it a matter of the hanger being too high/low? If so, couldn't you just bend it manually to where it needed to ideally mount?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Intermediate

yeah you got my number. i love bending over and letting people take my money...i thought everyone liked to do that.

there is nothing wrong with the way the jpipe fit, you're just splitting hairs. it's not like XLR8 makes these jpipes with the hopes that they'll fit. they are all cookie cutter designs that have went through countless welds and test fits to ensure proper installation.

one thing to note, is that the 2 long primaries WILL touch some times IF you don't put a spacer in between the pipes before bolting it down. something like a piece of cardboard inbetween. then you tighten down, then you remove the cardboard spacer and you have a little more wiggle room in between the pipes.

you served overseas? ok, that's great and i appreciate what you do for our country...however that has nothing to do with this jpipe and/or excelerate.

you seem to have buyers remorse and the fact that this item didn't give you 100whp makes you think you wasted your money. it's a jpipe...it's not going to turn your family sedan into a race car. it just won't.

you honestly have to add every bolt on you can to feel some major differences on this FWD car. just the way it is.

i'm sorry you are having a rough time understanding this, but this is nothing new.
Pretty much you agree that this is a piece of cr@p that yields no performance and I should have known that, so somehow its my fault?

I do have a 12 second family sedan and that is not the fastest car I have. But thats besides the point.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:14 AM
BANNED

Pretty much you agree that this is a piece of cr@p that yields no performance and I should have known that, so somehow its my fault?
yeah...that's what i said.

what are you talking about?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by losiglow
^ Hear hear.

Question for OP - I may not have understood the fitment issue. Was it a matter of the hanger being too high/low? If so, couldn't you just bend it manually to where it needed to ideally mount?
You certainly can. You would also have to cut your under belly plastic at least an inch to prevent it from melting or catching on fire. But even then the performance is questionable, for the TypeS at least. I cant comment on the regular TL since I do have a high flow cat from the factory.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Intermediate

yeah...that's what i said.

what are you talking about?
If i knew that I wouldn't have bought it...
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 AM
BANNED

You certainly can. You would also have to cut your under belly plastic at least an inch to prevent it from melting or catching on fire. But even then the performance is questionable, for the TypeS at least. I cant comment on the regular TL since I do have a high flow cat from the factory.
everyone knows you have to trim the underbody plastic for it to fit...big deal.

btw you don't have a high flow cat from the factory. the cell count is just lower than the base TL's.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 AM
BANNED

If i knew that I wouldn't have bought it...
if you knew what? that this magical pipe wouldn't net you 100whp?

it does increase the performance. it free's up horsepower you already have. your stock pipe is more restrictive, the xlr8 is more free flowing with longer primaries and rids of 3rd cat.

it DOES increase power, just not 100whp. i don't know what you were expecting.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 AM
Pro

The search is your friend. But for starters this members pipe is leaking (alec3369). For the record I don't have problem with you not anyone else on here besides Excelerate.
That is the only one I am aware of.

Your the one who said others and since you know who they are, then, who are they and what was the end result?
The following users liked this post:
zachlone (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 10:24 AM

interesting to see your modding views on the isf.
because their aftermarket is mostly like us...nonexistent
Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Acura4life

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Sell in on the BM and call it a day, someone will scoop it right it!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
interesting to see your modding views on the isf.
because their aftermarket is mostly like us...nonexistent
The mod that makes most power are PPE headers, they give roughly 60 WHP. One member managed 11.9 on the quarter mile with that mod. THe gains are legit as they been dynod and redynod 100 times by different people.

Personally I keep mine bone stock. I did put 2012 revised suspension on. You can look it up on Club Lexus, same name as here.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM

the point was; the aftermarket scene is limited for both cars.

you also know there is no replacement for displacement.
headers on a v8 will yield better results than a tiny six cylinder.

and again, Honda's make their power at 5K RPM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
the point was; the aftermarket scene is limited for both cars.

you also know there is no replacement for displacement.
headers on a v8 will yield better results than a tiny six cylinder.

and again, Honda's make their power at 5K RPM.
I had 4 hondas. 98 GSR, 2002 Accord, 04 S2000, 07 Civic Ex (doesnt really count), and now 07 TL TypeS. I have a pretty good idea of what it should feel like.

My other cars were 03 Jetta 1.8T, Mazda Rx8, Audi A3 2.0T, 04 Evolution 8 RS (first car I got into 10 seconds 1/4 mile), 08 BMW 335i and ISF.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
my XLR8 j-pipe is my biggest mod in terms of performance. i had all noticeable improvement in torque and horsepower and noticed a good difference between stock and the XLR8 j-pipe on my Type S. I even got the XLR8 exhaust due to the high quality and performance I saw in the j-pipe.

OP I hope your situation gets worked out, but based on my experience and products I've received, I believe XLR8 is a great vendor here
Old 02-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Unfortunately the process he is going about he will win his charge back. He will state that he returned it and they declined etc. (which the credit company will not think highly of, bc the "customer is always right") he knows what he is doing on how to screw a company over and get his way. this is all purely based on expectations and feelings and how OP would go about treating returns. There is no compromise, only his way. He could have sold it on the BM and took a $50 loss at most ( which he lost anyway shipping it with out proper protocol) and have been done. This is a joke. GL to you sir..
Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Pro

Unfortunately the process he is going about he will win his charge back. He will state that he returned it and they declined etc. (which the credit company will not think highly of, bc the "customer is always right") he knows what he is doing on how to screw a company over and get his way. this is all purely based on expectations and feelings and how OP would go about treating returns. There is no compromise, only his way. He could have sold it on the BM and took a $50 loss at most ( which he lost anyway shipping it with out proper protocol) and have been done. This is a joke. GL to you sir..
You think he will get his money back?

I doubt it.

He knew exactly what he was getting. He had the opportunity to read the return policy and didn't.

This is his fault. Xlr8 makes a product that works and fits. No where did it say it came with a heat shield so wanting one has NOTHING to do with xlr8. It is more than reasonable to think that it got hurt during shipping, that is not xlr8's fault, it's more than likely the shipping companies fault. But xlr8 was willing to help fix the hanger (even though the op could have just bent it back into shape) AND give him a discount to another product. But he got all bent out of shape over "no power gain" EVEN THOUGH he can't prove that as he never went to a dyno. He biases the problem off of 0-60 times and there are so many variables it's just stupid to think about.

I personally don't think he should get his money back.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Intermediate

Its not unfortunate. It is a good thing this process is in place. It prevents companies (like this one) take advantage of the customers.

Quick Reply: Excelerate V2 J-Pipe Review/Issues