Excelerate Performance: XLR8 Clutch Kit for the 3.2 CL/TL!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Excelerate Performance: XLR8 Clutch Kit for the 3.2 CL/TL!!

A good clutch kit for the TL/CL 3.2 is hard to come by. For years, we have heard promises from a number of companies about a clutch kit for the Honda/Acura V6 community. Nothing comes to fruition. After 2 years of working on this project, we have finally received our prototype clutch kit. This kit includes a 19.5 lb aluminum flywheel with removal inserts (technically called "heat shields"), that are made of a material similar to a 1050 steel, which is then coated with melonite. The Pressure plate and disc will vary depending on the stage but for this first kit we have an upgraded all cast pressure plate. The disc incorporates a feramic full face lining on the flywheel side and a medium metal content organic lining on the pressure plate side. This combination runs cooler and significantly extends clutch life. The clutch not only engages very smooth, but it has the torque capacity of higher stage clutches. This particular clutch should hold in the 450 torque range.

Another nice option is that with a conversion pin we should be able to make the clutch kit work on the stock flywheel. Of course, the disc will have to be unsprung also since the flywheel would do the damping.

We should be able to offer other discs, ranging from organic discs to pucked clutches, that will hold anywhere from 375-500+ torque. We can also crank the plate load up another few hundred pounds for the super high power guys.

Ok, enough technical info, onto the pics:

Before we release these to the public I will need a tester to come down and have us install the clutch kit. We sent the clutch manufacturer the original components and they are extremely proficient but I'd like to be absolutely certain everything is perfect before we continue with production. We will need the car for at least 2-3 days, just in case we run into any issues. The tester will get the clutch kit at a discounted price and will be responsible for the labor. Please PM or email me if you're interested.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:37 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate

A good clutch kit for the TL/CL 3.2 is hard to come by. For years, we have heard promises from a number of companies about a clutch kit for the Honda/Acura V6 community. Nothing comes to fruition. After 2 years of working on this project, we have finally received our prototype clutch kit. This kit includes a 19.5 lb aluminum flywheel with removal inserts (technically called "heat shields"), that are made of a material similar to a 1050 steel, which is then coated with melonite. The Pressure plate and disc will vary depending on the stage but for this first kit we have an upgraded all cast pressure plate. The disc incorporates a feramic full face lining on the flywheel side and a medium metal content organic lining on the pressure plate side. This combination runs cooler and significantly extends clutch life. The clutch not only engages very smooth, but it has the torque capacity of higher stage clutches. This particular clutch should hold in the 450 torque range.

We should be able to offer other discs, ranging from organic discs to pucked clutches, that will hold anywhere from 375-500+ torque. We can also crank the plate load up another few hundred pounds for the super high power guys

i want to hear about this.....

and as far as cranking the spring up, not very hard to do, when you work with a manufacture lol, but hard to DIY though lol, anyways will it be a completely different spring, or just like a rebent spring?

also one more thing to include, that is not shown in the picture, PILOT BEARING is missing
Old 07-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I am in. Ship me the clutch, and i will do what you want. I can provide any detials you need as well as full install writeup.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:08 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Any price estimate for the kit?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Drifting

Received 407 Likes on 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Hi speed
this thread is useless without price!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by friesm2000
i want to hear about this.....

and as far as cranking the spring up, not very hard to do, when you work with a manufacture lol, but hard to DIY though lol, anyways will it be a completely different spring, or just like a rebent spring?

also one more thing to include, that is not shown in the picture, PILOT BEARING is missing
They can increase the clamp load and the manufacturer would do it, not the end customer.

Yes there is a pilot bearing. It just wasn't in the picture.

Originally Posted by TLdream
I am in. Ship me the clutch, and i will do what you want. I can provide any detials you need as well as full install writeup.
We spoke via email. We are going to try and install this locally if possible. If not we will contact you.

I'm waiting for the final figures but I'm thinking in the range of $1000-$1200 for most of the kits.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Shopping for a kit now... give us a set price n when will the kit be in stock!!!!

P/S: tester should get a BIG discount, especially when they r giving u their car for u to TEST on (most likely run the hell out of it)...
Old 07-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Racer

Will u be selling the kit as a whole only, or are we gonna be able to purchase the parts separately also like just the clutch, pressure plate n flywheel, or just the flywheel?
Old 07-15-2011, 08:15 PM
runnin a little boost

Originally Posted by bigg_86
Shopping for a kit now... give us a set price n when will the kit be in stock!!!!

P/S: tester should get a BIG discount, especially when they r giving u their car for u to TEST on (most likely run the hell out of it)...

I think you buy it at a discount have it installed on your dime and report back your impressions. I wouldn't let someone drive much less thrash on my car regardless of price.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Racer

I think you buy it at a discount have it installed on your dime and report back your impressions. I wouldn't let someone drive much less thrash on my car regardless of price.
^^^ most def!!!!!! I wouldn't let ppl test a new part on my car without me being there...
Old 07-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
will this work on the gen7 v6 accord?
Old 07-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
Will u be selling the kit as a whole only, or are we gonna be able to purchase the parts separately also like just the clutch, pressure plate n flywheel, or just the flywheel?
The flywheel is likely an Aasco lightweight flywheel. The same that CM and J&R are using I believe.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by KN_TL
The flywheel is likely an Aasco lightweight flywheel. The same that CM and J&R are using I believe.

thats what i thought too, but they told me everything they are making is private lable. I tried to work something out with them, but my assistance wasnt needed.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Safety Car

thats what i thought too, but they told me everything they are making is private lable. I tried to work something out with them, but my assistance wasnt needed.
Really? If I do a google search, here is one of at least a few that pop up:

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...6-p-63391.html
Old 07-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Really? If I do a google search, here is one of at least a few that pop up:

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/a...6-p-63391.html

thats exactly what i thought.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

^Confused....are you saying you can or can't find a Aasco flywheel by itself?
Old 07-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Instructor

^Confused....are you saying you can or can't find a Aasco flywheel by itself?

I never said that. I know you can purchase an aasco flywheel by itself. I was saying I thought excerates unit looked alot like a aasco unit, but they said everything they were putting together was private lable, and available only to them.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Safety Car

^ "They" was what I was confused about. We're on the same page.

I was just trying to clarify for other people. I have a J&R sitting on a shelf waiting for me to get enough free time to put it in.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Instructor

^ "They" was what I was confused about. We're on the same page.

I was just trying to clarify for other people. I have a J&R sitting on a shelf waiting for me to get enough free time to put it in.
When The price comes into play, i would rather spend the couple hundred extra and get another twin disc. I didnt realize they were going to be wanting $1000-$1200 for this. I guess i still have the honda world mentality where you can get a stage 5 clutch with lightweight flywheel that will hold 500ft/lbs for ~ $500 complete.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Racer

^^^seriously!!!!!!! Just imagine how much more they would sell if the price was a little more reasonable/affordable to this community
Old 07-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
pricing is one thing, but trying to push a product without any testing,installs or pricing is a concern for me. (kinda like the p2r pre cats if im not mistaken..)Why not start this out as a feeler thread, and move from there. thats a better way to get the word out instead of informing people u have one for sale and dont have any real R&D done. people will loose interest this way instead of the thread gaining attention.. just my input.. GL
Old 07-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Former Sponsor

We would not take the car for days and test it or thrash on the car. The clutch has to be broken in for 750 miles.

We will be selling this as a kit: either a clutch kit with a conversion pin for a factory flywheel or a clutch/flywheel kit. If individual parts are needed later for upgrades/repair then we can supply them.

Originally Posted by thisaznboi88
will this work on the gen7 v6 accord?
Yes.

The parts we are using are being made for the clutch company who makes our clutch kit.

And it's not that your assistance isn't needed. We are reviewing our options. We'd prefer to install the clutch kit ourselves so that we can have firsthand feedback.

When The price comes into play, i would rather spend the couple hundred extra and get another twin disc. I didnt realize they were going to be wanting $1000-$1200 for this. I guess i still have the honda world mentality where you can get a stage 5 clutch with lightweight flywheel that will hold 500ft/lbs for ~ $500 complete.
This is our sales thread. Please stay on topic.

Originally Posted by handsom-hustla
pricing is one thing, but trying to push a product without any testing,installs or pricing is a concern for me. (kinda like the p2r pre cats if im not mistaken..)Why not start this out as a feeler thread, and move from there. thats a better way to get the word out instead of informing people u have one for sale and dont have any real R&D done. people will loose interest this way instead of the thread gaining attention.. just my input.. GL
The parts were designed based off of OE parts. This isn't a custom one-off part that we aren't sure if it will fit. And the clutch company isn't a new company. These are tried and true parts. This is a feeler thread for a test subject so that we can have firsthand feedback before going into full production.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Instructor

My appologies. I thought it was a tester thread looking for someone to test the product you have coming out. I was just expressing my view as far as cost vs performance. I would be interested in purchasing the unit after the finale production run is complete, but a cost effective piece has to be brought to the market. Not just a copy/ alternate (for the same price) for what clutchmasters already has.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Racer

We would not take the car for days and test it or thrash on the car. The clutch has to be broken in for 750 miles.

We will be selling this as a kit: either a clutch kit with a conversion pin for a factory flywheel or a clutch/flywheel kit. If individual parts are needed later for upgrades/repair then we can supply them.

Yes.

The parts we are using are being made for the clutch company who makes our clutch kit.

And it's not that your assistance isn't needed. We are reviewing our options. We'd prefer to install the clutch kit ourselves so that we can have firsthand feedback.

The parts were designed based off of OE parts. This isn't a custom one-off part that we aren't sure if it will fit. And the clutch company isn't a new company. These are tried and true parts. This is a feeler thread for a test subject so that we can have firsthand feedback before going into full production.
1- how are you gonna test a performance clutch without any moderate/hard driving???

2- u stated u needed a donor car to test the new product n that u would need the car for a few days, now u said u don't need the car for days but you need to put 750miles to break it in.... im a little confused. Are you gonna be doing the install @ owners expenses n let them drive off n report back to u after a few days? How do we know or why should we trust one person's personal feedback on a part that will cost us over $1k?

Testing should had been done before this thread was started and feedback from satisfied customers posted.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:56 PM
runnin a little boost

Why is everyone beating on on excelerate? $1000 is not a bad price, last time I looked at clutches CM was $1500 and the ring gears were messing up. Twin disk is $1800, so a decent clutch with a new flywheel PP and nice disk for $1000 doesn't sound bad.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:14 PM
Racer

^ we have questions, we need answers. That's why this thread was started...
Old 07-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Safety Car

1- how are you gonna test a performance clutch without any moderate/hard driving???

2- u stated u needed a donor car to test the new product n that u would need the car for a few days, now u said u don't need the car for days but you need to put 750miles to break it in.... im a little confused. Are you gonna be doing the install @ owners expenses n let them drive off n report back to u after a few days? How do we know or why should we trust one person's personal feedback on a part that will cost us over $1k?

Testing should had been done before this thread was started and feedback from satisfied customers posted.
You're totally taking his words out of context.

Josh needs your ride to install the clutch. That way he knows for sure it's installed as it should be. No variables with that aspect.

In that time, he can't beat on it because you need 750 miles of easy driving to break it in.

YOU put the 750 easy miles on it and then start testing it's limits. So YOU beat on your car, not him.

If you don't want to be a guinea pig then you should just go away. This is his test phase. Wait until someone else comes back and gives it the green light.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Racer

You're totally taking his words out of context.

Josh needs your ride to install the clutch. That way he knows for sure it's installed as it should be. No variables with that aspect.

In that time, he can't beat on it because you need 750 miles of easy driving to break it in.

YOU put the 750 easy miles on it and then start testing it's limits. So YOU beat on your car, not him.

If you don't want to be a guinea pig then you should just go away. This is his test phase. Wait until someone else comes back and gives it the green light.

"go away"???
first of all --- CHILL OUT DUDE, THE QUESTION WASNT FOR U TO ANSWER!

THE OP KEEPS CONTRADICTING HIMSELF IN THIS THREAD, or he did not explain himself clearly at first....

"We will need the car for at least 2-3 days, just in case we run into any issues" ---- original post

"We would not take the car for days and test it or thrash on the car. The clutch has to be broken in for 750 miles. ----- answer to question

where in this thread did the OP say he was gonna install the clutch at ur expense "AND" have "YOU" drive 750miles to let it break in, and then report back at him, and how do we know the TESTER WILL NOT BEAT ON IT during break in period and have this affect his feedback????? will xlr8 then test the clutch after the break in period to test performance????????
Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Instructor

Why is everyone beating on on excelerate? $1000 is not a bad price, last time I looked at clutches CM was $1500 and the ring gears were messing up. Twin disk is $1800, so a decent clutch with a new flywheel PP and nice disk for $1000 doesn't sound bad.

Not beating on excelerate, just trying to get some facts stated. $1000 is not a bad price, but from what i gathered from speaking to them, the $1000 will be from the tester, and looks to me it would be $1200. And im sure if you opt for a stronger pressure plate and different disc the price would go up also. The CM unit starts around $1250 also, and goes up depending on what "stage" you want.

As far as the ring gear messing up, im pretty sure that issue has been solved. And If the flywheels are coming from the same production line, wouldn't this one have the issue also?

I hope they get what they need out of a tester. I am interested in the clutch system, there is a huge market here, its time for someone to capitalize.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 AM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Hey man no need to yell. But I mostly agree. IMHO, we are kind of insiders here on this forum. These companies that go out on their own to R&D new products for us is a great thing. What would we have if our vendors didn't come up with new products? Not much.

However, these threads that want deposits (etc) before the parts are released doesn't seem right to me. Or specifically in this thread, the cost of the clutch to the tester makes sense but the cost of the labor? Why would a consumer risk his or her own vehicle so a company can "test" their "unproven" equipment? Isn't that, unfortunately, part of the R&D process for a company? That should be the perk of the consumer that goes out on a limb to do something like that for a company. What would happen if no one volunteers?

No hard feelings. I really appreciate all the work our vendors do for us. It's just sometimes I think we all get mixed feelings on products around here because our vendors keep us in the loop so well that it's not the same as seeing a press release with "New Product" etc.

PS - Hope this is ready by the time my clutch calls it quits!
Old 07-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm going to respond to all the questions. However, I'm really disappointed in how some forum members respond to new products we bring to market. We have put tens of thousands of our own dollars as well as hundreds of hours to develop new products for a market that most manufacturers wouldn't consider. If you have nothing beneficial to contribute to this thread please do not post in it. This is a sales thread, not a discussion thread.

My appologies. I thought it was a tester thread looking for someone to test the product you have coming out. I was just expressing my view as far as cost vs performance. I would be interested in purchasing the unit after the finale production run is complete, but a cost effective piece has to be brought to the market. Not just a copy/ alternate (for the same price) for what clutchmasters already has.
It's not a copy. CM produces their clutch. We produce ours. It's kind of hard to reinvent the wheel; there are only so many ways to produce a clutch. Our clutch kit was designed to be dependable and hold more power than stock without having an overly aggressive pedal feel. We are trying to provide all of this at a reasonable price.

The AASCO flywheel sells for around $500-$600. Clutch kits costs $350-$500 for decent components. There isn't going to be any $750 clutch/flywheel kit. This isn't a B or D series. Our clutch kit will sell for around $200 less than CM kits. I think a 20% savings is well worth it.

All clutch kits need to be broken in. We will drive the car for a 20-30 miles to get our own feedback. The customer will then drive the vehicle and report back to us. At the end of the break in time we will have the customer return to do some more testing. We just want to ensure the kit is installed properly and everything goes as planned. The company we used has been making clutches for years upon years and their parts are tried and true.

That being said, I think the open approach we have taken with keeping customers abreast of new products isn't worth it. I thought this thread would be well-received and we could find a suitable tester. It apparently isn't the case. I think we've chosen the route we're going to go with this.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts
All clutch kits need to be broken in. We will drive the car for a 20-30 miles to get our own feedback. The customer will then drive the vehicle and report back to us. At the end of the break in time we will have the customer return to do some more testing. We just want to ensure the kit is installed properly and everything goes as planned. The company we used has been making clutches for years upon years and their parts are tried and true.

That being said, I think the open approach we have taken with keeping customers abreast of new products isn't worth it. I thought this thread would be well-received and we could find a suitable tester. It apparently isn't the case. I think we've chosen the route we're going to go with this.
Some idiot always has to ruin it for us lurkers.

Give it a little more time. I'm sure somebody will take you up on your offer.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Might as well make it your car. Shit you already ruined the car with tinted headlights and taillights. Why not run the hell out of it?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:00 PM
All motor

Received 532 Likes on 395 Posts
I saw this thread title with high hopes of what was to come. However, after reading through it, I just don't understand. How many threads have been started about why there isn't a decent clutch for our applications that is rather cost friendly? At least a bajillion. CM offers a kit that is proven to work now, with the flywheel rings sorted out. However, it is not cheap. J&R comes up with a great kit, but it's even more expensive (not knocking J&R one bit!! You guys get for what you've done!)

Now Excelerate comes in with their version of a clutch kit for us. Instead of being excited and anxious, you basically bashed them? Why? And then question their credibility as if they haven't produced numerous quality parts for us in the past and continue to do so?

Not only this, but their service is second to none as far as I'm concerned. I've ordered from XLR8 on 2 separate occasions. Both times I've gotten a confirmation email immediately, the part shipped out that same day, AND I got it within 2-3 days max.

If I were Josh right now I'd be pissed too. He has every right to be after what was directed his way in this thread. We are the consumer and we want proof of things before we buy. This is part of the reason he started this thread: to see if there was interest and to get someone to test the kit so that they can get production going.

No one cursed or threw any personal matters into it, but it was definitely handled wrong from some of the crowd. I got lucky enough to buy the CM kit off a forum member for an amazing price (that I've yet to install , very soon though ) or I'd be looking into this right now.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
You guys are blowing this way out of the water. No joke. There is no reason, even after I reread the thread, for anyone to be "pissed".

1) This is a forum. You make a thread, people comment. This isn't the FS section. Actually, point in fact, I had to reread to even find a price that coincidentally isn't even 'firm' yet.

2) I don't think anyone has questioned Josh's product quality, customer service, reliability, dependability, etc etc etc.

3) I'm pretty sure everyone supports him in this endeavor. I know I do. I'll need a kit that's suited more for my needs in the near future. And like said above, many others do too. Most people don't require a $2000 clutch kit that can hold 750 HP.

4) The problem here that I see, like I said above, is most consumers don't want to be the guinea pig. However with the nature of this particular market niche that's the way it is. And I'll thank the person right now who takes it upon themselves to be the first.

This should be really easy. Edit the original post to be clearer and put a price on it. Delete every post after it. Done. Lol
Old 07-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by akplaya92
Might as well make it your car. Shit you already ruined the car with tinted headlights and taillights. Why not run the hell out of it?
Hey kid stay out of this... return the car to ur daddy too
Old 07-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
if I wasn't on the other side of the country I would do it. Someone want to make a donation so I can drive from CA to Josh place?
Old 07-20-2011, 07:26 PM
UA6mt NBP

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
lots of hostility here im excited im in the process of looking for a clutch and maybe a flywheel i would donate my car but i dont have a second to drive and id only do it if i didnt have to pay for any of the parts that should be a part of supplying your car but anyways hope something good comes out of this thread
Old 07-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Safety Car

I find it great that Josh is trying to provide everyone with a better than OEM clutch for a reasonable price. If I hadn't gone hog wild with my ride, I would have found a way to get my ride to him as a tester.

Josh, I can see why you withhold information and don't let this community in with your development. I know I gave you a hard time with the mounts but if this is an example of what you go through, then I don't blame you and I am sorry for questioning your reasoning.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking foward to this, too bad I'm not close to you because I would offer my ride as well.

As far as beating on the car goes I don't really see what the problem is considering a lot of people in here do it all the time and way more than is needed for testing purposes. If you're not trashing the car any why are you even looking at a lighter/stronger flywheel/clutch combo, it's not gonna make any difference when you get your groceries...

Just saying if you're not interested in the testing, well you're not that's all no need to whine about it.

Btw I do believe that paying for the labor will help you finding someone to test with and should be part of your r&d costs, but I'm no buisness manager.

Quick Reply: Excelerate Performance: XLR8 Clutch Kit for the 3.2 CL/TL!!