Engine Knocking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 08:44 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Knocking Noise

Does anyone experience the engin knocking at 40~50 mph or some times at the higher speed as well.

Please pass your comments if any.

Farid
Old 07-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
What kind of octane of gasoline do you use?
Old 07-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rets
What kind of octane of gasoline do you use?
ditto on that the TL requires 91 octane becuase of its high compression engine (11:1)
Old 07-11-2004, 12:27 AM
7th Gear

Yes I always use 91 or better grade gasoline since I bought this new 04 TL...
Old 07-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even if you use regular gas, there should be no a knocking. The engine will adjust to the lower octane level.

And even though I know this, I sill use premium....new car paranoi.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:26 PM
7th Gear

It still pings at 40~50 mpr at 2000~2500 rpm, usually on slope. It is seroius problem and we need to address it.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
By the way...

What's a "noice"?
Old 07-18-2004, 01:04 AM
Team Anthracite

by "ping" is this a kind of... "ticking" noise if the engine is under stress? (like accellerating)? Because I get that, and I havent really figured out if thats right or not.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mylriahd
by "ping" is this a kind of... "ticking" noise if the engine is under stress? (like accellerating)? Because I get that, and I havent really figured out if thats right or not.
Once and a while I hear a slight ping usually at mild acceleration and usually when the car has been running for under 5-10 minutes. I never hear anything under harder acceleration. This is with 91 octane gas. I plan to use a different brand of gas and keep listening and see if anything changes.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Cruisin'

was gonna start my own thread, but I'll ttt this one for more answers.

I have ALWAYS used 91 (max available in peoples republic of CA) and still experience premature detonation (pinging)

This really bothers me, as it can damage the engine over time. It happens when the engine is under heavy stress (3rd gear, getting on the freeway mostly).

The idiots at the Tustin Acura made me seem like some sort of car-hypochondriac (sp?) and said they didn't here any ping or rattle of my window when door is shut with window 1/2 way down.

Anyone get this fixed? I may suggest that they retard the timing via computer, but then I'll lose power. =(
Old 03-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by yukon2k
Does anyone experience the engin knocking at 40~50 mph or some times at the higher speed as well.

Please pass your comments if any.

Farid
If you are using the correct octane and it is knocking, call your dealer and let them take a look at it.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:55 PM
3rd Gear

Well, I use 93octane and my engine started knocking. I took it to acura and they replaced my engine and some 02sensors under warranty, then had to take it back few weeks later because they had to change all the catalytic converters. They replaced those under warranty. Now the engine they put in is burning oil and took it back to acura...HERES THE PROBLEM: They don't want to repair it. They said burning 3/4 of a quart of oil in 400 miles is "NORMAL". When it starts burning more, then they'll have to see what they will do.

MODIFICATION: removed the resonator from the exhaust to get a little more sound...

I know of others on this board from friends of mine that have done the same modifications and have no problems... Doing the math... burning 3/4 or a quart of oil in 400 miles...hmmmm this means after about 1500 miles, I wont have any oil left in my engine! OK...i guess its safe and great for a new car...what do you think?

Well, thats my story on my engine knocking...
Old 03-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2004TLboy
Well, I use 93octane and my engine started knocking. I took it to acura and they replaced my engine and some 02sensors under warranty, then had to take it back few weeks later because they had to change all the catalytic converters. They replaced those under warranty. Now the engine they put in is burning oil and took it back to acura...HERES THE PROBLEM: They don't want to repair it. They said burning 3/4 of a quart of oil in 400 miles is "NORMAL". When it starts burning more, then they'll have to see what they will do.

MODIFICATION: removed the resonator from the exhaust to get a little more sound...

I know of others on this board from friends of mine that have done the same modifications and have no problems... Doing the math... burning 3/4 or a quart of oil in 400 miles...hmmmm this means after about 1500 miles, I wont have any oil left in my engine! OK...i guess its safe and great for a new car...what do you think?

Well, thats my story on my engine knocking...

Welcome to the forums - sorry to hear about that. Go to another dealer and make them fix it. Call ACS and threaten to file under lemon law if it is not repaired immediately. They will probably be useless - but you can hope.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:34 PM
3rd Gear

I've tried ACS...but they called the dealer...and the dealer told ACS that the car was "heavily" modified and the intake phlenum was removed... mind you, they changed the engine before only god knows what they did... I seem to be getting nowhere. The car has 17,700.

Dealer also loaded engine up with 5 quarts of oil, including what was left in the filter and pump. Told them about it and drained it and set it to factory spec. Said bring it in for checkup after 250 miles...thats when i brought it back after 370 miles...had to use the car. I checked the oil myself before going to acura... oil was down to the low mark on the dipstick after only 370 miles... dealer said to me, " your oil was "ONLY" down 3/4 of a quart.

Acura set it back to spec and said bring it back in another 370 miles...

My concern is if i bring the car back in another 370 miles, it will be past 18k and won't be covered under new car lemon law anymore.

I don't have much cash flow to get a lawyer to fight on my side... So i guess im screwed.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Suzuka Master

I've tried ACS...but they called the dealer...and the dealer told ACS that the car was "heavily" modified and the intake phlenum was removed... mind you, they changed the engine before only god knows what they did... I seem to be getting nowhere. The car has 17,700.

Dealer also loaded engine up with 5 quarts of oil, including what was left in the filter and pump. Told them about it and drained it and set it to factory spec. Said bring it in for checkup after 250 miles...thats when i brought it back after 370 miles...had to use the car. I checked the oil myself before going to acura... oil was down to the low mark on the dipstick after only 370 miles... dealer said to me, " your oil was "ONLY" down 3/4 of a quart.

My concern is if i bring the car back in another 370 miles, it will be past 18k and won't be covered under new car lemon law anymore.

I don't have much cash flow to get a lawyer to fight on my side... So i guess im screwed.
Ok, do this - (well see what others here think) go to another dealer. If you get nowhere, get an independent technician to check it out and tell you whats wrong. Find out if it is YOUR mod that caused the problem. If it is not your mod - then call a lemon law attorney - many will work for free and when they win the case Acura will have to pay them.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:54 PM
3rd Gear

Do you know of any Lemon Law attorneys in the NY area? All that i've found are out of state...

Originally Posted by vikrampatel
Ok, do this - (well see what others here think) go to another dealer. If you get nowhere, get an independent technician to check it out and tell you whats wrong. Find out if it is YOUR mod that caused the problem. If it is not your mod - then call a lemon law attorney - many will work for free and when they win the case Acura will have to pay them.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:52 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

File your LL/BBB paperwork now! As long as your case is opened prior to you exceeding the mileage your set.. At least thats how it is in many states... I had the same issue with a GM product/engine. By the time it was replaced the bad engine had over 37K miles.....

How many miles are on the new "oil burning" engine...?

Good luck
Old 03-23-2005, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Do you know of any Lemon Law attorneys in the NY area? All that i've found are out of state...
http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/la...DCMP=KWC-QUIGO
Old 03-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Hey everyone...

I've got a similar problem to what's been described above. Out here in California, highest octane fuel we can get is 91, my 05 TL has just about 2500 miles on it. I've always used "premium" as is recommended (I had an Integra GS-R prior to the TL). The first couple of times I heard pinging, I thought it was the POS next to me, but then it persisted. I've now been listening very closely and can get it to repeat the symptom on a regular basis. I've now gone through three full tanks of different branded fuel: Costco, Shell, and Chevron is the latest tank. Detonation is occuring when I "lug" the engine aka lock it in 4th at about 35 and mash the gas. If I let it downshift, it'll do it for just a second.

Now I'm of the opinion that a new car when given the proper fuel (or even when not) should not detonate under ANY condition. With the sophisocated electronics and knock sensor, it should be adjusting for these things.

I have an appointment to take it in on Monday, but fear that they won't hear it or try to blow me off. This car should not ping and I feel like I'm hurting it (I actually am).

Any suggestions??
Old 03-24-2005, 09:36 AM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Maybe the valves need to be adjusted. I know your car is new, but sometimes that happens. I believe the owner's manual says something about that.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
valve adjustment??? I have never heard of that being necessary in the 3.2. I recall getting my integra from years past in for an adjustment every so often...
Old 03-24-2005, 11:30 AM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by mickey3c
valve adjustment??? I have never heard of that being necessary in the 3.2. I recall getting my integra from years past in for an adjustment every so often...
Well, the dealer would have to make that assessment...and I, for one, wouldn't be waiting till next week or next month. I'd have my car in the shop today!
Old 03-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well of course they would, but I would start seriously asking about the quality of the car if you needed a valve adjustment on an 04. I have logged over 140,000 miles on a couple of 3.2s and they never needed valve adjustments...

And the thing is that we want it checked out immediately but some people rely ontheir car for transportation etc. and well they get it in when they can...
Old 03-24-2005, 12:02 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by mickey3c

And the thing is that we want it checked out immediately but some people rely ontheir car for transportation etc. and well they get it in when they can...
I don't know about your Acura dealer, but mine ALWAYS provides a loaner car till my car is ready to go home. I do understand that some people live far from the "nearest" Acura dealer, but a knocking engine can be a serious issue and the car should not be driven any more than it has to in that condition.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:08 PM
aw1
Pro

sorry to hear about everyone having these issues. living in nyc, the only option i have is to get 93 oct. i dont have any of these problems at all.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

well loaners are not always ther at a moments notice.. they only have so many loaners... You know real world stuff there isn't an unlimited amount of anything...
Old 03-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Advanced

Detonation is usually a problem indicative of incorrect ignition timing. If I floor it at 1500 RPM, it should retard the crap out of the timing instead of letting it ping. What bothers me is that there appears to be no compensation for it. The knock sensors are very sensitive and the ignition timing is essentially infinitely variable since it's computer controlled rather than a mechanical distributor.

No loaner car for me and if I were to take it in today, they wouldn't be able to look at it till Monday. It doesn't ping all of the time, I know how to make it do it and how not to have it do it. I'm sure it'll be fine for the next couple days (less than 100 miles).

Does it bother me that I have to take a BRAND new car in for repair for something FUNDAMENTALLY wrong with the vehicle.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by yukon2k
It still pings at 40~50 mpr at 2000~2500 rpm, usually on slope. It is seroius problem and we need to address it.
My engine pings at 40-45 mph when in 5 th gear. Probably due to fuel winter mix. To get around it i switch to manual mode keeping it in 4th.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:56 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Maintenance Minder 1 Scheduled Maintenance

- Rotate tires
- Independent of the maintenance messages in the Multi-Information Display, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.
- Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km).
- Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy.

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Mainten...h=n&mi=3&box=c
Old 03-24-2005, 03:58 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Knocking (a pounding or banging, as though two objects hit together)
Light knocking or "pinging" — fuel octane may be too low. Heavy knocking could indicate a bad connecting rod or worn crankshaft main bearing.

http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Mainten...ting.asp#sound
Old 03-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Advanced

jmn4667 thanks for the info.

This is definitely NOT a rod knock. and most definitely "pinging" as I stated previously, I only use 91 octane (the highest we can easily get out here in California). Also, in order to be sure I didn't just get a bad batch, I've used three different vendors: Costco, Chevron, Shell since I initially noticed the sound. First time I though that maybe I had pushed the wrong button, or I got a whole bunch of 87 with those kind of pumps that use one hose to dispense all three grades. This last batch was dispensed from a Chevron station with the older style pumps that do not share nozzles between grades.

As an engineer, I'm usually pretty methodical when I research, but posted here, just in case this is a known problem that I missed when searching through the forums
Old 03-24-2005, 11:01 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

I have pinging on startup, on throtle blip and during dead starts when engaging clutch. You read right, a throtle blip. Wierd ! This is not 100% repeatable but seems to be more frequent in stop and go traffic. This is embarrasing for a new car to do this not to mention the damage it can cause to the engine. The thing is I am running 94 octane and it seems no different with 87 or 89 or 91. Most frequently with ESSO gas.

Dealer has brushed it off saying the sensors would correct and they'd give an error if they were out of spec. Ya so blame it on the computer. Very dissapointed.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:48 AM
Advanced

See now, this is my issue. Dealerships have very few what I would classify "good" mechanics. Left over from back in the days where everything wasn't pop-and-swap, and you actually had to diagnose a problem! A time when alternators bearing went out, it would cost less than $5 for the part and about 20 minutes of labor. Mechanics these days rely far to heavily on computer systems and assume that just because it's not throwing a code, everything is fine... Especially when I can hear something is not right.

As an example: My father purchased a new 1997 Ford F-150, first year of the 5.4L V-8. He bought the thing and brought it home, pretty truck, but when running had a very noticable engine lope or miss. Took it back for service three time each time the mechanic simply hooked up the computer cable and looked at the screen. The last time, my father lost it. He told the guy to quit looking at the screen and start listening. He made the guy listen, then they went around to every other F-150 on the lot with the same engine (there were quite a few) and 1 or 2 others did the same thing, but the majority of them did not. In the end, the dealership wouldn't do anything about it.

A GOOD mechanic is someone that actually understands cars, has been working on them for a long time and could tell the difference between a loose cam chain and a rod knock from across the parking lot.

Perhaps I'm psyching myself out, but I just want my pretty new car to run like a new car... New cars don't ping!