Engine air filter discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
My temper is doing just fine, don't worry about me, worry about your misinformation.

I guess I'm going to have to pull this out of you little by little since it's impossible for you to say what car this is. Is this your "9 second" rotary, is this a daily driver street car, and do you expect me to believe that ANY turbo rotary even bone stock made it to 170,000 miles on the original engine? You're purposely leaving out details.
I didn't read all the propaganda, but if you weren't so filled with revenge whenever anyone disagrees with you, you'd find that I posted the OE turbo rotary motor lasted 155,000 miles, cracked seal, and the replacement is still going strong @ 42,000 miles. Point being that the AFM has never been cleaned and it's still the OE part with about 175,000 miles with the K&N filter. Although the boost has been doubled, the turbo and other parts are all the OE parts with no repairs ever being needed, except for the oil metering lines.

Guess that about sums it up.

I'm certainly done with this thread, time for breakfast.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
It escapes me why you cant have a normal discussion about air filters without your fucking ego's getting in the way......

Keep in mind when you argue in threads like this you ruin it for people who come in here to actually try to get some info on air filters....but instead they see adults that argue like highschool kids.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm surprised this pic/website has not come up yet. This is a picture of a independent unbiased test of filter effectiveness.

Taken From http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
Old 03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I've seen that one before. Only thing to note is that's one of the old Amsoil gauze filters, not the much better filtering EAO filter.

Take a look at one of the links I posted a few posts above, it's got some pretty good tests with dirt measured in grams instead of just pictures.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by sprousa
I'm surprised this pic/website has not come up yet. This is a picture of a independent unbiased test of filter effectiveness.

Taken From http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm
I have seen that test some time ago and tho a good visual test its far from scientific and flawed. Not flawed in any filters favour just flawed in the fact that its not controlled. In other words 500 miles isn't controlled , you have factors like ambient temperature which effects air density. Humidity which effects porosity of the media, wind conditions will effect the amount of dust in the air and one of the biggest is cubic feet of air that passed through the filter, it wasn't metered. No one can drive an identical 1 mile 6 times never mind 500.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I have seen that test some time ago and tho a good visual test its far from scientific and flawed. Not flawed in any filters favour just flawed in the fact that its not controlled. In other words 500 miles isn't controlled , you have factors like ambient temperature which effects air density. Humidity which effects porosity of the media, wind conditions will effect the amount of dust in the air and one of the biggest is cubic feet of air that passed through the filter, it wasn't metered. No one can drive an identical 1 mile 6 times never mind 500.

True but regardless they all let particulates through.

Also I was just providing it as information to the thread.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

Props to you.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts

Thats another point .. they ALL did . and shouldn't to a markably visable extent.. makes me wonder if he doesn't have another issue with his intake system.

I was involved racing dirt cars for over 20 years and they were subject to massive amounts of dust and we didn't see anything like that after the filter. With a $8,000 engine you monitor those things.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
SouthernBoy,

I'm with you on air filters. I buy the NAPA air filter, which like their oil filters, are all WIX with their name on it. I used to use STP's from Autozone, and I could see the quality difference right away with the WIX.

I think the K&N is overrated and overpriced, just like Starbuck's coffee. My 2¢.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
SouthernBoy,

I'm with you on air filters. I buy the NAPA air filter, which like their oil filters, are all WIX with their name on it. I used to use STP's from Autozone, and I could see the quality difference right away with the WIX.

I think the K&N is overrated and overpriced, just like Starbuck's coffee. My 2¢.

Thank you. My reason for starting this thread was to gain some insight and opinions from others based upon their experience and knowledge about air filters for our TL's to help some of us who find ourselves on the fence and new members who want a good source of information. Yesterday, I went out in my garage and checked my inventory of air filters for my two 3 G TL's. I have an STP, two Purolators, two Honda/Acura OEM units, and another WIX in my box. So I did some comparisons between them and the aftermarket filters I mentioned look pretty close to one another. Which means all the more we need to get other members' input on this.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I replaced mine with the acura oem one. I tried k and n in the past but did not like all the oil on it that could go through with dirt as mentioned in the thread earlier.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Advanced

I stick with the WIX. Acura had a service flash warning about the problems with a filter like a K&N, increased air flow for a lack of filtration not a good thing!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Instructor

Ok so I am also wondering the same thing because ours is about ready to get changed...i guess im just confused because there are so many out there, but what is one thats not TOO expensive but still effective as far as filtration/performance, for the TL specifically? Since there are pros/cons to each one, should i just go with the OE replacement?
Old 03-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im with IHC...that and I disagree with nfnsquared on a lot of things.(haha)

K&N - over priced, over hyped, and better alternatives.
I had a K&N "oiled filter" before on a previous vehicle, i hated that damn thing. Cleaning it sucked considering you had to wait all day for it to dry and couldnt drive the vehicle until it was dry. Then there was a mess from the oil. Not to mention the cost of the cleaning kit. Eventually i went to the AEM DRY FLOW filters. Even K & N oil filters are overpriced and hyped. Too much bad info out there on K&N filters causing problems.

Good stuff Southernboy and IHC