EGR block off

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR block off

Has anyone done this on our cars effectively?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:19 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why would you want to do this...I don't think there are any performance gains..
Old 03-16-2009, 12:37 AM
Banned

Keeps exhuast from flowing into the intake manifold thus keeping the temperature of the manifold cooler than normal.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:20 AM
I (don't) whine.

Hm ok, i've heard you can lose mpg's from this.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:54 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You'll gain 10hp, but you'll have a permanent cel
Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Banned

small price to pay for 10hp..lol
Old 03-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stillhere153
You'll gain 10hp, but you'll have a permanent cel
I'd have to see the dyno graph on this to believe it, especially since EGR is closed during WOT.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by T Ho
I'd have to see the dyno graph on this to believe it, especially since EGR is closed during WOT.
hmm are you sure about this? i havent heard that. either way its keeping exhuast from the intake which will cut down the intake temp especially in the summer. Should be good be a good combo with the mugen cooling mods I think.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:40 AM
rollin fattys in

egr = bad.... only good it does it control emissions. but wats the point if u got pre cat deletes and test pipes im interested in a block off plate. prolly could trick the o2 sensors to get rid of the cel no?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Banned

I will find out soon enough this week.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
you will get a CEL...

the guys on the legend boards that are OBD-I have seen improvements on power with a slight hit on MPG... but on a 1G TL with the same engine i get a CEL when i try this because of the OBD II setup... still haven't figured a work-around yet... too lazy...
Old 03-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
you will get a CEL...

the guys on the legend boards that are OBD-I have seen improvements on power with a slight hit on MPG... but on a 1G TL with the same engine i get a CEL when i try this because of the OBD II setup... still haven't figured a work-around yet... too lazy...
I mean is it just the CEL? like does it cause the computer to slow the car down or anything? I dont care if its just a matter of the light being on but still gain performance.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
couldn't tell you exactly... i know that on older cars, usually CEL will cause you to have bad MPG because the engine is efficient on the A/F ratio... not really sure if this happens on the newer ones...
Old 03-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Seriously, don't mess with this. The theory about intake temp is a nice one, but if it drops it more than 10°, tops, I will eat the intake manifold for lunch with a nice balsamic vinegarette.

EGR= Exhaust Gas Recirculation. This is done for a couple of reasons-

1. Exhaust gases in the intake charge help to reduce peak cylinder temperature, reducing the formation of NOx emissions (oxides of Nitrogen- NO, NO2, etc). These are key components of smog, and the higher the engine compression, the more likely they are to occur. The TL engine is at 11:1, which is pretty high. If the engine is producing more NOx, the catalytics work harder (read hotter) to kill it (although tailpipe emissions will still go up), which ultimately shortens their life.
Also, a nice side effect of lower combustion temps- less pinging. An 11:1 engine, particularly one with mild cam timing, can ping like a MF'er on all but the best pump gas. EGR goes a long way to prevent that, because the exhaust gas mixing slows the burn rate.
2. Exhaust gases help to fill up the cylinder, therefore less space is required for the intake charge. This is where you pick up the MPG- it's worth probably 0.5-1mpg on our cars, maybe even 2 at highway cruising, but that might be generous.

EGR is a light-throttle only emissions control device. Importantly, EGR messes with the intake charge too much under heavy throttle, which can lead to poor charge control, etc, so the ECU shuts it down under heavy throttle. For max power, you want the cylinder filled with fresh air to the greatest extent possible, which gives you max burn-> max cylinder pressure-> max power.

Still want to mess with it?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Banned

Seriously, don't mess with this. The theory about intake temp is a nice one, but if it drops it more than 10°, tops, I will eat the intake manifold for lunch with a nice balsamic vinegarette.

1. Exhaust gases in the intake charge help to reduce peak cylinder temperature, reducing the formation of NOx emissions (oxides of Nitrogen- NO, NO2, etc). These are key components of smog, and the higher the engine compression, the more likely they are to occur. The TL engine is at 11:1, which is pretty high. If the engine is producing more NOx, the catalytics work harder (read hotter) to kill it (although tailpipe emissions will still go up), which ultimately shortens their life.
Also, a nice side effect of lower combustion temps- less pinging. An 11:1 engine, particularly one with mild cam timing, can ping like a MF'er on all but the best pump gas. EGR goes a long way to prevent that, because the exhaust gas mixing slows the burn rate.
2. Exhaust gases help to fill up the cylinder, therefore less space is required for the intake charge. This is where you pick up the MPG- it's worth probably 0.5-1mpg on our cars, maybe even 2 at highway cruising, but that might be generous.

EGR is a light-throttle only emissions control device. Importantly, EGR messes with the intake charge too much under heavy throttle, which can lead to poor charge control, etc, so the ECU shuts it down under heavy throttle. For max power, you want the cylinder filled with fresh air to the greatest extent possible, which gives you max burn-> max cylinder pressure-> max power.

Yea I still do.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:56 AM

please figure out a way to remove it, and fix the cell....i have been thinking about this too.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:42 AM
rollin fattys in

apparently from what ive learned theres no real way to get rid of a egr now a days especially obd2 because the ecu looks for readings/signals from all o2 sensors to make sure its doin its job and from the egr it self. it could be different for some cars. maybe if there was a ecu program that can bypass the egr cel we would be fine.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tlaspecteinss
apparently from what ive learned theres no real way to get rid of a egr now a days especially obd2 because the ecu looks for readings/signals from all o2 sensors to make sure its doin its job and from the egr it self. it could be different for some cars. maybe if there was a ecu program that can bypass the egr cel we would be fine.
Well at one point I had a test pipe on my car without the secondary O2 plugged in and the car never threw a CEL and ran fine.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Banned

what if you could remove the connector ontop of the EGR so that you could still remove the EGR but leave the connectot on top of it plugged into the harness so that whatever resister thats in it will still send the singal the the ECU that its still there. I'm pretty sure the ECU wont know that its physically not there so long as its getting a signal back from that connector.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
As I recall the sensor just monitors valve movement so technically just put the plate in the the original EGR with sensor back on top and it should work fine. Worked for my obd1 cars I dunno how well it would work on obd2 vehicles.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:31 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CLS6SpeedNupe
what if you could remove the connector ontop of the EGR so that you could still remove the EGR but leave the connectot on top of it plugged into the harness so that whatever resister thats in it will still send the singal the the ECU that its still there. I'm pretty sure the ECU wont know that its physically not there so long as its getting a signal back from that connector.

Well the OBD2 computers are too smart for that. when the PCM commands EGR operation, it needs a signal back from the EGR valve. and the PCM is also looking at the MAP sensor voltage to react. it will be expecting the MAP voltage to go up from the exhaust gas that is being introduced to the manifold.

removing the EGR will do more damage then good to it. like T HO already said. the exhaust gas will lower combustion temp and reduce the chance of detonation/pre-ignition

Last edited by hata_61; 03-28-2009 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:33 AM
Racer

Bad idea could cause pinging, bad enough the Type S already does it a bit.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Banned

I dont know guys. Everyone seems to have there own opinion. But I seriously dont thinking that the EGR prevents the motor from damaging itself by venting burnt gas into the manifold.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NAiL05
As I recall the sensor just monitors valve movement so technically just put the plate in the the original EGR with sensor back on top and it should work fine. Worked for my obd1 cars I dunno how well it would work on obd2 vehicles.
this sounds like a good idea, someone go ahead and try this.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Banned

On another note, the japanese version of our cars dont even have EGRs so the removal the EGR should not do any damage if honda felt like they were fine to do without elsewhere.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Racer

I dont know guys. Everyone seems to have there own opinion. But I seriously dont thinking that the EGR prevents the motor from damaging itself by venting burnt gas into the manifold.
I have tested cars on a dyno and also monitoring exhaust gasses while testing. When the EGR was disconnected the NOX levels would go up and also the start pinging. I never belived this till I actually tried it my self.

On another note, the japanese version of our cars dont even have EGRs so the removal the EGR should not do any damage if honda felt like they were fine to do without elsewhere.
They dont have it because the Japan dont have emissions standards like the US does. Even some US cars differ by California emissions cars will require EGR and the Federal ones dont also on some older vehicles CAlifornia required CAT converters and the Federal/49 state did not. Hope this sheds some light on why some cars do and others dont.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:56 AM
Banned

p2r uses it on their cars, why dont you just email and ask how it works for them. they're usually pretty helpful
Old 03-30-2009, 03:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
EGR helps nox emissions and decreases it pretty much it and some gas mileage. Other than that not much. The pinging can usually be solved by a higher octane gasoline. I ran my old accord with no EGR but with the plug attached with blockoff that didnt throw a CEL. Emissions was not passable but yea. Performance I dunno didnt notice much really so I have no comment on performance gains removing EGR. Then I got my next accord swapped in h22a and ran a p28 which doesnt look for EGR or knock sensors. Car still ran fine. I got 400+ miles a tank cruising mostly highway. Mixed I would still run around 380 ish. But I dunno I can see the performance gain but to me I dont see if its worth it as I havent felt much. hey it might be different for the v6's I only experienced egr removal in 4 bangers.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sal's Type S

They dont have it because the Japan dont have emissions standards like the US does. Even some US cars differ by California emissions cars will require EGR and the Federal ones dont also on some older vehicles CAlifornia required CAT converters and the Federal/49 state did not. Hope this sheds some light on why some cars do and others dont.
i understand why we have them and we have them. Im more so trying to understand how removing it can hurt our motors when the same cars that dont come with them elsewhere have no problems.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
i understand why we have them and we have them. Im more so trying to understand how removing it can hurt our motors when the same cars that dont come with them elsewhere have no problems.
Because the timing maps are different in cars without EGR.

Every ECM I've looked into, especially on my car has a timing bump when the EGR is in effect to make up for the power you lose from the contaminated charge. This timing bump without EGR will result in detonation.

You will pick up nothing from this other than a bunch of pinging unless you're prepared to run on something higher than 95 octane all the time.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by I hate cars

Every ECM I've looked into, especially on my car has a timing bump when the EGR is in effect to make up for the power you lose from the contaminated charge. This timing bump without EGR will result in detonation.

You will pick up nothing from this other than a bunch of pinging unless you're prepared to run on something higher than 95 octane all the time.
Well if the car throws a CEL then wouldnt it automatically pull timining to prevent this? this will probably not help your cars, but mines is set up a little different so it might actually cause gain
Old 03-31-2009, 03:38 AM
347hp/300tq @ 4psi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Well if the car throws a CEL then wouldnt it automatically pull timining to prevent this? this will probably not help your cars, but mines is set up a little different so it might actually cause gain
looks like you got it all figured out and determined no matter what people tell you, so dissconnect it and let us know how it goes
The following users liked this post:
stvtec (06-23-2011)
Old 04-01-2009, 04:00 AM
Racer

What I Hate Cars Said, Beat me to it.

Originally Posted by I hate cars

That or add more fuel to mixture some how.

Not always.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:38 AM
Intermediate

just pipe your exhaust into your ac- take a deep breath- feel the performance gain? at least 10 hp !!!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:49 AM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
wow holy thread bump for really no point.....
Old 06-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
@ vill https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/inside-oem-muffler-pics-596607/

Look @ post 23's date then post 24's....
Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 PM
AZ Track Whore

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts
holy guacamole! so much fail.... lol