Ebay intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Ebay intake?

I see many members on the forum running Ebay intakes...I was just thinking to get one also. Why pay $300 when I can pay $50?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACURA...Q5fAccessories

Would the install be the same as the normal intakes? .
Old 03-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
ALl
Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 PM
2005 AM at/navi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i want to know the difference too, i have been running a ebay intake for a bout a year but it is a two piece so i left only the top part on since it was raining real bad the days i installed it and now i have been lazy to take off the bumper to put the other piece to on it. i would like to know if im doing anything bad to my engine by using the ebay one i clean it often and it looks just like the k & n filters on my truck and motorcycle.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:10 AM
A6 and TL

Originally Posted by jr27
i want to know the difference too, i have been running a ebay intake for a bout a year but it is a two piece so i left only the top part on since it was raining real bad the days i installed it and now i have been lazy to take off the bumper to put the other piece to on it. i would like to know if im doing anything bad to my engine by using the ebay one i clean it often and it looks just like the k & n filters on my truck and motorcycle.
Just a quick q bro. Do you notice a sound difference with just the top part and what about power?
Old 03-31-2011, 01:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Same thing. Don't spend the money. The thing that sets the companies apart from EBAY is the filter. I would recommend buying this and then getting a quality cone like a K&N. Intakes do nothing special for our cars and I will probably get responses like R&D/the design and so on. Your being suckers for the ultimate "advertising scam" of how the flow of the V2 is and so on. Intakes make nothing more then sound for our cars.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
im the type that likes to have brand names lol so i bought an aem v2
Old 04-02-2011, 12:54 AM
2005 AM at/navi

Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
Just a quick q bro. Do you notice a sound difference with just the top part and what about power?
yup a HUGE sound difference specially like at 2500 - 3000 rpm when just cruzing, it sounds like a whistling noise sucking a lot of air. and when you get on the gas hard it screams for air man i can hear that well over my exhaust when i get on the gas hard, and its not just my opinion i get it from many people who ride in my car or who know me and have been driving next to me. you will love it man.

Originally Posted by AckTL05
Same thing. Don't spend the money. The thing that sets the companies apart from EBAY is the filter. I would recommend buying this and then getting a quality cone like a K&N. Intakes do nothing special for our cars and I will probably get responses like R&D/the design and so on. Your being suckers for the ultimate "advertising scam" of how the flow of the V2 is and so on. Intakes make nothing more then sound for our cars.
agreed... i have planned to get a k and n cone but havent gotten to it. and i truly cant justify paying 300 when i paid like 40 i think or even less.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:22 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
umm. you have a luxury car. why would u want to buy sum cheap no brand? might as well remove the resonator box or leave it stock...people are going to be like whoa what you have under that hood? 50 dollar ebay intake for a 30k+ car. lmfao
Old 04-02-2011, 01:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by vtxcraziexboi
umm. you have a luxury car. why would u want to buy sum cheap no brand? might as well remove the resonator box or leave it stock...people are going to be like whoa what you have under that hood? 50 dollar ebay intake for a 30k+ car. lmfao
And this line of reasoning is exactly why an M5 aftermarket, cat back only exhaust costs $2,500. Sad, but true.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:34 AM
A6 and TL

yup a HUGE sound difference specially like at 2500 - 3000 rpm when just cruzing, it sounds like a whistling noise sucking a lot of air. and when you get on the gas hard it screams for air man i can hear that well over my exhaust when i get on the gas hard, and its not just my opinion i get it from many people who ride in my car or who know me and have been driving next to me. you will love it man.

agreed... i have planned to get a k and n cone but havent gotten to it. and i truly cant justify paying 300 when i paid like 40 i think or even less.
Thanks. And for installing the top part you did not have to remove the bumper correct? Was the intake a easy fit or did you have to modify or cut anything?

How hard is installing the top part? And your car looks crazy! How do you see outside with 4% tint? I am still pondering over 5% or 20% hmmmmmm lol.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:02 AM
Instructor

don't kid yourself, the tl is barely entry level luxury
Old 04-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Former Sponsor

You can just get intercooler piping and quality clamps with a quality cone and call it a day. Hell, you can even power coat it and still spend under $100. If you buy that accordion one or the "TURBO" intake or what ever it is, then people will laugh. I have news for you, but these cars can be had for around 6k now for an 04...Not so much luxury anymore and now-a-days the cost of living is going up and 40k cars are all over the place. 40k used to be a lot about 10 years ago but kids are getting 40k cars for there birthday now. No ones going to laugh at you because you spent $100 and did it yourself, rather then spending $350 for a pipe that has "AEM" on it. If its the sticker your looking for, I can make you that for $4 shipped and you can slap it on the piping or your window for some extra HP.

BMW's are so complicated that a regular intake/exhaust can just "work" anyway, and everything else is mostly imported so thats where the cost comes in.

Here is a picture of the fog lights that I retro fit but if you look up top that intake was custom made, and looks legit:

Last edited by AckTL05; 04-02-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:13 PM
2006 6spd

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
mine is the perfect example; bought it fof $100 shipped brand new with a brand new K&N filter google HD05AC intake; love it and didnt have to buy replacement filter because it came with K&N... sorry just googled it and all that comes up is threads ive posted id on azine...

Last edited by TL Luver; 04-03-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:28 PM
2005 AM at/navi

Of course somebody like you had to pst on here. Just so you know the OP asked about performance differences not brand differences or price differences. And I am always very careful when I but things, if it is something that will mess my car up then I will not buy a cheap alternative. I will spend the money on the name brand part. This is a piece that in no way compromises the engine so I bought it, but if buying expensive things gets you hard and excited then go ahead and if you don't like ebay intakes, don't open threads like this.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:11 PM
A6 and TL

I rather save my money . Since you are using MSRP prices my $55k BMW 5 series has "cheap no name" LEDS inside. Why would I waste my money and buy a LED kit "designed" for BMW for $150 when I can spend $20 making my own kit? Its just nonsense.

I think you should work on your spelling and grammar. People are going to be like "whoa this guy has a 30k car but can't spell".
Old 04-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
This is a stupid arguement and in the wrong section. Just buy it and get a better air filter, thats what i did before i went S/C.

And i dont know why every thinks you have to pull the front cover off to put on a cold air intake... turn the wheels to the right and pull the front of your wheel liner off. 3 clips and 2 bolts if you have the A-Spec. Not that hard.

Also if your going to do it do it right. make a cold air intake, short rams are stupid, noting like sucking in some nice hot air from the engine bay!
Old 04-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been debating for a while if I was going to spend $250+ on an intake or rock this $50 intake from e-bay. I mean, a cold air is a cold air, I really don't think it makes much of a difference at all.

Plus my fiance will be more likely to agree to a $50 intake that a $250 intake.

I would just swap out the filter. What filter do you guys think is best? The K&N?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
I have a K&N but once it gets dirty I am throwing it away for a dry filter. I hate all the oiling and cleaning crap.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Comptechtl2367
I have a K&N but once it gets dirty I am throwing it away for a dry filter. I hate all the oiling and cleaning crap.
Yeah I had a K&N on my super charged Frontier. It was cool not to have to buy another one, but kind of a pain in the ass lol.

Any specific filter you thinking about replacing it with?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Just get the specs from the one that AEM/K&N sells with the kit.

You don't want to get a too small or too little cone.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:13 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
pick up an AEM dryflow (which i've read is made by K&N).

I cleaned mine the other day and it wasnt really dirty at all...cleaner than my cabin filter lol

just used some water and powdered laundry detergent in a bucket.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
And i dont know why every thinks you have to pull the front cover off to put on a cold air intake... turn the wheels to the right and pull the front of your wheel liner off. 3 clips and 2 bolts if you have the A-Spec. Not that hard.

Also if your going to do it do it right. make a cold air intake, short rams are stupid, noting like sucking in some nice hot air from the engine bay!

Exactly how I installed mine ..
Old 04-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Suzuka Master

i want to know the difference too, i have been running a ebay intake for a bout a year but it is a two piece so i left only the top part on since it was raining real bad the days i installed it.
Where does the filter sit? In the engine compartment?
Old 04-05-2011, 10:53 AM
2005 AM at/navi

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
Where does the filter sit? In the engine compartment?
the short ram sits right where the stock air box was before. but it has a second piece kind-of like an elbow and that i assume goes all the way down like any other cold air intake.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Suzuka Master

the short ram sits right where the stock air box was before. but it has a second piece kind-of like an elbow and that i assume goes all the way down like any other cold air intake.
Should try and finish it off . Right now you gained noise .. lost performance.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
2005 AM at/navi

Should try and finish it off . Right now you gained noise .. lost performance.
WHAT? REALLY??? i lost power? how so? a ram air should be better than a stock airbox isn't it?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:25 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^no bc even the stock is a 'cold air' system.

you have a 'hot air' system.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
^no bc even the stock is a 'cold air' system.

you have a 'hot air' system.
You lost power with those 20"s too, lol. Eh, not really with the intake because its still sucking in the air from the bottom through the filter thats enclosed in a box so its not sucking in the engine air. A short ram is an open filter that gets mushed between the hood and quarter panel.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Advanced

first of all, im sorry i didnt mean to sound like a jerk but i meant i rather buy quality products compared to the ebay stuff...which i learned from personal experienced.

Performance wise:
intakes barely give any performance gains but are nice sound makers.

SRI = sucks air from the engine bay = hot air
CAI = sucks air from outside to engine = cold air

hot air is bad...
Old 04-05-2011, 11:46 AM
'That's what she said!'

Received 40 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with the people saying that SRI's are no good because all they do is suck in hot air from the engine. That idea is completely flawed because once you start moving, the engine heat has little, to no effect on the SRI.

Me and my buddy did a little test. We both have the same car, with the same modifications, except he has a CAI and I have a SRI. We did a couple of test runs and we were neck and neck throughout all the runs. I know this is not the most advanced way of testing this but it does tell you something. And that something is that my car's "performance" was not affected in any way because I have a SRI.

So like I said before, the whole idea that SRI's suck in all the heat from the engine and diminish the car's performance is flawed. Once the car is moving, a CAI and SRI are getting the same air.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 PM
2005 AM at/navi

You lost power with those 20"s too, lol. Eh, not really with the intake because its still sucking in the air from the bottom through the filter thats enclosed in a box so its not sucking in the engine air. A short ram is an open filter that gets mushed between the hood and quarter panel.
i know about the 20's but i just couldnt pass u the deal i got straight from tsw man. i am a part time salesman at america's tire co. and fulltime student. so i keep my extra set of wheels at work so whenever i feel like letting the tl lose i put my stocks on, i have had them on for about a week now because i raced my buddy on his 04 maxima because he got a cai. by the way, even with my stock wheels he managed to get ahead of me until the end of my second/going in to third gear. so maybe if i put the other piece on my intake and my pulley i will have him beat from the line.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by renedcruz
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with the people saying that SRI's are no good because all they do is suck in hot air from the engine. That idea is completely flawed because once you start moving, the engine heat has little, to no effect on the SRI.

Me and my buddy did a little test. We both have the same car, with the same modifications, except he has a CAI and I have a SRI. We did a couple of test runs and we were neck and neck throughout all the runs. I know this is not the most advanced way of testing this but it does tell you something. And that something is that my car's "performance" was not affected in any way because I have a SRI.

So like I said before, the whole idea that SRI's suck in all the heat from the engine and diminish the car's performance is flawed. Once the car is moving, a CAI and SRI are getting the same air.
They're both getting all the air they need whether standing still or going 150 mph, but it doesn't change the fact that the SRI is still pulling in significantly hotter air in either case. A car's under hood temp doesn't drop once the car starts accelerating.

Your test proves nothing.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor

It doesn't matter, A dyno would prove its less gains. The problem with your theory is that there is such a minimal gain/loss between the two, you will never even know the difference. I have beat TYPE-S when I was stock in my 05 just because I was a better drive and its 27 more HP. You need atleast 15 hp to even feel and around 20-40 hp to make a difference.

i know about the 20's but i just couldnt pass u the deal i got straight from tsw man. i am a part time salesman at america's tire co. and fulltime student. so i keep my extra set of wheels at work so whenever i feel like letting the tl lose i put my stocks on, i have had them on for about a week now because i raced my buddy on his 04 maxima because he got a cai. by the way, even with my stock wheels he managed to get ahead of me until the end of my second/going in to third gear. so maybe if i put the other piece on my intake and my pulley i will have him beat from the line.
those pieces will give you HP but so little gains that if you slightly tire spin or slip of the clutch it would wash it out. Its all about putting the power down and really driving the car to its potential.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:22 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Once the car is moving, a CAI and SRI are getting the same air.
no, the SRI is getting hotter air bc it's filter is located directly next to the engine. the CAI filter is located at the bottom of your wheel well and is much farther away from those high temps. plus, either "gains" are so minimal from either that only a back to back dyno run would prove or disprove your theory.

i agree, your test proves nothing...except that it's not even a test to begin with.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
no, the SRI is getting hotter air bc it's filter is located directly next to the engine. the CAI filter is located at the bottom of your wheel well and is much farther away from those high temps. plus, either "gains" are so minimal from either that only a back to back dyno run would prove or disprove your theory.

i agree, your test proves nothing...except that it's not even a test to begin with.
Yes. Technically in the summer time they will both get hot air, but the short ram will most likely suffer from heat soak. Our engine bays are so compact, that it does make a difference in CAI and SRI because there is no room to breath.

On the other hand if you get an SRI and it sits right where the stock box is, the air would come up from the grill on the bumper because there is a lip on the inside that pushes the air up (stock CAI design). The other problem is that its still sucking in the hot air from the engine.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:31 PM
'That's what she said!'

You guys are proving my point for me. The difference between a SRI and CAI is not even noticable. Like AckTL05 said, "there is such a minimal gain/loss between the two, you will never even know the difference." So what is there to discuss here?

OP get the ebay intake (short ram or cold air), and just get a good filter and you're good.

/thread.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Advanced

Yes. Technically in the summer time they will both get hot air, but the short ram will most likely suffer from heat soak. Our engine bays are so compact, that it does make a difference in CAI and SRI because there is no room to breath.

On the other hand if you get an SRI and it sits right where the stock box is, the air would come up from the grill on the bumper because there is a lip on the inside that pushes the air up (stock CAI design). The other problem is that its still sucking in the hot air from the engine.
i agree, either way intakes isnt much of a "performance upgrade" but a sound upgrade.

personal experience: my friend has a honda civic si supercharged with a SRI...he hates heat soak.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

sound will also be different between the two. The CAI will be more throaty.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Lets put it this way .. neither will harm the car ... your not going to get a huge gain from either ... BUT you will get more gain from colder denser air.

One of the guys in a Passat forum took the outside air temp sensor which is mounted in the cold air flow behind the front bumper and added a second under the hood in tha area of where the short ram would go. Ran the wiring through a dpdt rocker switch so he could flip back and forth and the underhood temp is markably higher then the outside flow at speed.

The differential increases ad the ambient temp increases. In other words at 40F outside its less of a concern.

Regardless who gives a crap if your not racing where every 1 HP matters.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:54 PM
'That's what she said!'

Lets put it this way .. neither will harm the car ... your not going to get a huge gain from either ... BUT you will get more gain from colder denser air.

One of the guys in a Passat forum took the outside air temp sensor which is mounted in the cold air flow behind the front bumper and added a second under the hood in tha area of where the short ram would go. Ran the wiring through a dpdt rocker switch so he could flip back and forth and the underhood temp is markably higher then the outside flow at speed.

The differential increases ad the ambient temp increases. In other words at 40F outside its less of a concern.

Regardless who gives a crap if your not racing where every 1 HP matters.
Agreed.

Quick Reply: Ebay intake?