Dr. Evil Trans Upgrade For 5AT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 04:20 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Dr. Evil Trans Upgrade For 5AT?

Has anybody heard about this Dr. Evil Transmission upgrade for 5AT owners? I was hearing some smack about it around the other day and wondered if anybody had heard of this with the 3G TL's? I know they have one out anyway. Just wondering whats what with this thing....these were first made for the 6G Hondas....now they have one for us too?

The following parts are in a Dr Evil Transmission

~ Phantom Grip Limited Slip Differential Lock
~ Upgraded carbon-kevlar fiber clutches
~ Upgraded torque converter
~ Upgraded flex plate
~ Custom built upgraded internal pieces
~ Valve body modifications to improve shifting
~ Ensure all upgrades are COMPATIBLE with the factory ECU or UNICHIP ecu enhancer

Expected performance goals as a result of tranny upgrades:
~ Shift firmness will be improved
~ Shift quality will be improved
~ Will OUTLAST the auto TRAGIC transmission Honda is using
~ Expected power handling up to 350-450 WHP
~ Improved WHEEL HP numbers as a result of better internals
~ Improved WHEEL TQ numbers attributed to new torque converter
~ 1/4 mile times will be improved

Here are the updated details:
I. LIST and INFO

a. Dr. Evil now prefers at least 6 orders (see below)

b. The combination of 6 orders NOW include the following:
4AT for J30 vehicles (AV6/CL 3.0);
5AT for J32 vehicles (CL/TL/CL-S/TL-S);

Note: this XXXXXX will NOT be affective unless I receive a XX with you information to be passed to Dr.Evil. Placing an order directly will yield a regular price - $4,000 (for J30) $4,250 for (J32) (THIS IS NOT APPLICABLE OTHER THAN INFO FOR US)

II. FINANCE & CORE
a. All financing will go directly through Dr. Evil shop.

b. 50% upfront downpayment is required to start.

c. A core (your OEM transmission) is required to be shipped (see below) to Dr. EVil shop located in IL (address will be provided).
Note: All internals in your OEM transmission as well as all solenoids are completely replaced (see below basic list).

d. Roundtrip shipping is extra $320 (business to business only). Your shop who removes OEM transmission going to call freight company (you'll be notified which one) to schedule pick up. After the completion Dr. Evil will send back to the same place. Midwest members will be allowed to deliver OEM transmission to the shop and pick-up the final product after the completion.

III. TURNAROUND
Typical production takes about 4 weeks. All owners will be notified before it's shipped back.

IV. BREAK-IN process
100-150mi since LSD (limited slip differential) will take time to adjust and can generate a NOISE when turning wheels. This is a NORMAL break-in process required, so don't be alarmed.

V. PRICE (AGAIN>>>THIS WAS ROBBED..JUST INFO....)
J30 (4AT) - $3,500
J32 (5AT) - $3,750

VI. WARRANTY (update)
Absolutely STOCK cars - 24 mo/24,000 mi;
HIGH PERFORMARMANCE - 12mo/12,000mi
The secret of this successful transmission is behind doors, however Dr. Evil utilize Raybestos clutch packs which withstand the power up to 4000HP, fluid flow has been changed along with many inside features.
Redline Sythentic 4D ATF must be used otherwise warranty is void. This synthetic fluid allows 20-30* reduction in temperature operation. Again, no Amsoil, No Mobil1, etc.

Keep in mind, Dr. Evil has been tested over 2 years on some J30 vehicles with good results. Personally, numerous tests has been conducted on my 321whp AV6 with nothing but healthy mechanical response. BTW, total number of produced 4AT transmissions are over 50 to this date and so far 1 5AT.

At any rate....anybody know anything about this stuff? First I have heard of it?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
NSXNEXT-I've seen this and will check it out. Let's see how it goes before we get too excited.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm in

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
againstalldaodds was already looking into this. He should chime in ......

If only I had an auto......

J/K
Old 06-22-2006, 05:41 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by Ron A
NSXNEXT-I've seen this and will check it out. Let's see how it goes before we get too excited.
But do either of you know anything about this company or this modification at all? Today was the first I had heard of this and thought I would ask anyway? Not promoting this thing by any means...just looking for additional information? I truely dont trust the origianl source of information...which is why I am asking. I know nothing about this at all....other than what I have read above.....I pasted text instead of a link in order to be PC.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:03 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
But do either of you know anything about this company or this modification at all? Today was the first I had heard of this and thought I would ask anyway? Not promoting this thing by any means...just looking for additional information? I truely dont trust the origianl source of information...which is why I am asking. I know nothing about this at all....other than what I have read above.....I pasted text instead of a link in order to be PC.
I swear I've seen this before...maybe some 2nd gens? I cant remember for the life of me where it was. It wouldnt hurt to ask in the 2nd gen forum
Old 06-22-2006, 06:09 PM
300whp 237wtrq

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know a few accords using their transmissioms and they have nothing but good things to say about it. It's pricey, about $4,500. with 6 or more people you can get it down to around $3,900, but everyone that has it says it's worth it. I'm thinking of doing this upgrade down the line. They give you an LSD as well
Old 06-22-2006, 06:14 PM
One on the right for me

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131402
Old 06-22-2006, 06:39 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

^^good info! I think I forgot to put a space when I did the search on Dr Evil
Old 06-22-2006, 07:22 PM
One on the right for me

^^good info! I think I forgot to put a space when I did the search on Dr Evil

i just searched evil....have to deal with a few more threads but i figured it would at least be on the first page. hope there is some info in there that you 3rd gen auto guys can use and bring to this section of the forum. good luck
Old 06-23-2006, 03:50 AM
Hondata > *

you can opt for their high stall rebuilt torque converter alone if u dont want the whole built tranny. the TC is the main thing taking the beating, so that in itself is the best bang for buck. i'm about to test out IPT's high stall TC on my boosted auto RSX. we'll see how it goes before i start endorsing companies.

but the whole tranny overhaul rebuild is if u want to really make serious power. otherwise, the TC alone, u'll get better 1/4mi times and all that jazz.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:06 AM
Import and Domestic owner

Yea I contacted Dr. Evil and he said to get a tranny and send it to him and they will rebuild it. I was looking on v6 performance and they have a group buy on there. We should get one going on here. I guess we will wait for the Mods to see what the next thing to do is on this forum.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:36 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by againstallodds1
Yea I contacted Dr. Evil and he said to get a tranny and send it to him and they will rebuild it. I was looking on v6 performance and they have a group buy on there. We should get one going on here. I guess we will wait for the Mods to see what the next thing to do is on this forum.
THERE HE IS!!! We have been waiting for ya over here! Basically...this is just a feeler thread to see what the deal is with this modification and if anybody knows anything about what the end results are for certain. I think there are some people working on contacting the vendor now to see their interest in starting here. BUT...in order for that to happen (being in sales) we really need a draw and I think there are a lot of people over here that would be interested if it is in fact good technology. I hear more about 2G TLs with this product than 3G's...but we are a new breed...so thats not suprising. Not to mention...we dont have trans probs like 2G does for the most part. (crossing fingers)

Have you been experiencing problems with your trans with your supercharger unit installed? I heard you mention that you were not sure how much longer it would hold out...is that a "verbal crossing of the fingers" or was that an actual presign of trouble you see coming due to the added stress of the supercharger and HP in general?

I mean...if this is a good thing....I want to get some good backup data on it and see if we can get these guys on board as a new vendor. We have such a pool of 2G and 3G modifiers here....it seems that we could have a good thing if it is solid technology!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:04 PM

THERE HE IS!!! We have been waiting for ya over here! Basically...this is just a feeler thread to see what the deal is with this modification and if anybody knows anything about what the end results are for certain. I think there are some people working on contacting the vendor now to see their interest in starting here. BUT...in order for that to happen (being in sales) we really need a draw and I think there are a lot of people over here that would be interested if it is in fact good technology. I hear more about 2G TLs with this product than 3G's...but we are a new breed...so thats not suprising. Not to mention...we dont have trans probs like 2G does for the most part. (crossing fingers)

Have you been experiencing problems with your trans with your supercharger unit installed? I heard you mention that you were not sure how much longer it would hold out...is that a "verbal crossing of the fingers" or was that an actual presign of trouble you see coming due to the added stress of the supercharger and HP in general?

I mean...if this is a good thing....I want to get some good backup data on it and see if we can get these guys on board as a new vendor. We have such a pool of 2G and 3G modifiers here....it seems that we could have a good thing if it is solid technology!
I will tell you that my tranny has been holding up really well. I thought I felt it slipping one day, but my friend told me I was spinning the tire. That was about a month ago. And after a month later, it still runs great. The only problem I have is that I have a rear main seal leak that is being worked on now at Acura. I brought my car to Acura today and they said they will most likely warranty it, because they cant see how a oil leak can be caused by a supercharger.
As far as the tranny, it is holding up great. I just want a rebuilt one from Dr. Evil because it will give us gains that we are loosing from the stock torque converter and the rebuilt tranny will help us also.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:20 PM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The TC and the limited slip alone would help to improve performance greatly!!! With having the 6MT with the limited slip in it, I rarely experience any slip. It will break loose sometimes in 1st gear at high RPMs, but other then that it hooks up great!! I cant wait to see some dyno #'s and 1/4 mile times from this once someone gets it done. Good luck guys!!
Old 06-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Pro

If you guys get automatics that are as efficient or even more than my 6 speed w/ lightweight flywheel and high friction clutch disk, I'll be really jealous. Smoke fools with 1 finger and 1 toe. efficient, huh.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
. The only problem I have is that I have a rear main seal leak that is being worked on now at Acura. I brought my car to Acura today and they said they will most likely warranty it, because they cant see how a oil leak can be caused by a supercharger.
rear main would typically go from a bad PCV but i certainly can see how additional boost could cause a build up crank gasses causing the rear main to go ...but dont worry i wont tell them that
Old 06-24-2006, 12:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
i've got my 5AT shipping back to me. the whole sha-bang, limited slip, high performance clutch packs, rebuilt torque conveter, everything. i'm excited to run the car. fyi i dont have a blower or any FI, i just have a 3.5 CL, but i feel the upgraded tranny will put more power to the wheels and hook the traction a lot better. if i had to guess, i would say a mid 13 on the track with a great launch, all n/a.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:31 AM
Cruisin'

Might be even better with a lower geared differential. The car will pull harder in every gear and spin off the line...
Old 06-24-2006, 06:51 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by CleanCL
i've got my 5AT shipping back to me. the whole sha-bang, limited slip, high performance clutch packs, rebuilt torque conveter, everything. i'm excited to run the car. fyi i dont have a blower or any FI, i just have a 3.5 CL, but i feel the upgraded tranny will put more power to the wheels and hook the traction a lot better. if i had to guess, i would say a mid 13 on the track with a great launch, all n/a.
Congrats on the new trans upgrade! Looking forward to hearing your results and impressions!
Old 06-24-2006, 11:32 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Of course, and as usual this is only my opinion.

This is a whole lotta of hard earned cash going into someones car. Tack on a supercharger and you may have a sleeper, but at what cost? Agreed it's your car and your money, but purchasing a car that met your performance needs to begin with and stretched out the expenditure into a car payment seems more attractive, at least to me. Of course I'm married and my wife would rip my heart out if I would do a major purchase like this. Still I would've made the inital purchase more to what I would like as my end product.

The quote " I shoulda got a V-8", or M3, etc enters my mind.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:35 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by joed40

This is a whole lotta of hard earned cash going into someones car. Tack on a supercharger and you may have a sleeper, but at what cost? Agreed it's your car and your money, but purchasing a car that met your performance needs to begin with and stretched out the expenditure into a car payment seems more attractive, at least to me. Of course I'm married and my wife would rip my heart out if I would do a major purchase like this. Still I would've made the inital purchase more to what I would like as my end product.

Joe...this has crossed my mind several times as my fiancee leers at me from across the room...lol! Good observation! I just kind of figure it as "life is a journey" type of thing....but you are right!
Old 06-24-2006, 11:45 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Michael
My journey has taken me through two divorces and three weddings. A long a strange trip, but I persevere. I am thinking that my trip would be more comfortable without a third divorce and a drive shaft sticking out my butt.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:58 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Michael
My journey has taken me through two divorces and three weddings. A long a strange trip, but I persevere. I am thinking that my trip would be more comfortable without a third divorce and a drive shaft sticking out my butt.
So true! When I want to pull something on a grand scale like this off...I find it best to NEVER discuss! Takes the argument out of it totally! And I do mean NEVER!
Old 06-24-2006, 05:18 PM
Cruisin'

The TL will never be an M3. It might be made faster, but it will never get the respect, warranty, pedigree or offer the "whole package" like an M3 will. The M3 has the sweetedt ferrari like angine and the diffrential is awesome. A car that can truely be driven or difter at will. M3s are truely something special. A car that might go down in history with the Miata. I know cause I had one for three years.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by ari1856
The TL will never be an M3. It might be made faster, but it will never get the respect, warranty, pedigree or offer the "whole package" like an M3 will. The M3 has the sweetedt ferrari like angine and the diffrential is awesome. A car that can truely be driven or difter at will. M3s are truely something special. A car that might go down in history with the Miata. I know cause I had one for three years.
I was trying to get a dude with a m3 to line up with me at the track the other night and he wouldnt. He was running 13.9's, I think he knew I was running 13.7's so he didnt want the embarrasment.
As far as the tranny upgrade I am going to do it very soon. Acura wont fix my rear main seal unless I remove the blower. They dont want to take chances on breaking it and they dont have access to the gaskets, so they dont want to touch it. He told me if I remove it they will fix it, with no questions asked. I guess it is understandable, but the hell with it, I wanted to do a 6sp swap, but it is too hard to be done. Alot more to it than 6sp tranny, ecu, wiring harness, and clutch accessorys. The whole front end has to be changed. Oh well, Dr. Evil will have my tranny soon. I am spraying my car with a 35 shot next week so I will be able to see how much our engine can handle. Running 10 to 1 in boost will give enough fuel, but I just have to worry about the compression. I think 35 shot will be safe, anything else is pushing it.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:14 PM
Suzuka Master

it depends on what kind of girl you end up with... we are rebuilding my gf's lexus SC400 next year, per her request! and that's why i went all out with a rebuild and dr. evil tranny with my car, i'm 21, no major life expenses at the moment, so i'm going to live it up now. my personally suggestion, if you have the money to do it, do it, and do it right! you won't regret it.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by CleanCL
it depends on what kind of girl you end up with... we are rebuilding my gf's lexus SC400 next year, per her request! and that's why i went all out with a rebuild and dr. evil tranny with my car, i'm 21, no major life expenses at the moment, so i'm going to live it up now. my personally suggestion, if you have the money to do it, do it, and do it right! you won't regret it.
Yea I hear you there. Im in the same boat here. Im going to do this car how I want to. A sleeper that will throw suprises.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:52 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

Yea I hear you there. Im in the same boat here. Im going to do this car how I want to. A sleeper that will throw suprises.

sleepers are cool!
Old 06-30-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Its D4 ATF...not 4D ATF.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:43 PM

Well it looks like CleanCl has got his tranny in and it works good. I will be shopping for a 04 - 06 Junkyard tranny this week to send to Dr. Evil. Nothing wrong with my Tranny, but I just want the kevlar plates, and better T/C and LSD.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it looks like CleanCl has got his tranny in and it works good. I will be shopping for a 04 - 06 Junkyard tranny this week to send to Dr. Evil. Nothing wrong with my Tranny, but I just want the kevlar plates, and better T/C and LSD.
Was it what he expected? Is there any way to change the gears to make it even quicker if wanted as a request to Dr. Evil? Or is it a one size fits all order?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

check out my thread, it explains everything pretty well. page 3 has small vids.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182573

you could ask them for a custom stall, but then your high end would suffer, i suggest leaving it.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks CleanCL and Happy B-day!!

Why did you say you got an ulcer? Was he difficult to deal with?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:09 AM
B A N N E D

Definitely need to update with the result of the tranny. i am very interested in the tranny especailly the quicker/firmer shift and the LSD.

How long does it take for Dr.Evil to modify a stock tranny? Any info on cost..etc?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:30 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i've been considering this for my 2G tl. my only concern is that phantom grip products used to have a notoriously bad reputation, but i'm talking back in 2002-2003 timeframe. i wonder what they're considered as being now....

SSTS
Old 08-08-2006, 07:18 PM
B A N N E D

Would they also be able to modify the tiptonic so that it won't shift automatically from 1st to 2nd?

I like how i could hold it in 1st just like a TSX.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,775 Likes on 2,547 Posts
I wish they would do a setup for the TSX.