Does anyone run a k& n short ram?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone run a k& n short ram?

I am wondering if anyone has installed a K&N typhoon SHORT RAM intake as I DO NOT want a cold air intake, and I am wondering what they think of the performance of it?

horsepower gains?
Better gas mileage?
Old 08-09-2009, 04:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Mileage gain from a filter, shortram, or CAI is a myth. Intake mods can't effect milege.

Power will likely be lower than stock. The factory intake is a semi cold air induction. You're raising the temp of the inlet air for a slight decrease in restriction. Since a stock TL engine can't outflow a stock air intake tract, there's no gain from less restriction.

Do it if you want more noise and worse filtration.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:25 AM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Short ram intake might as well be called Hot Air Intake. I agree with I hate cars post above.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Burning Brakes

I don't know if that is true, why would they make a short ram peformance intake from a well known company that makes worse performance? don't you think they would test them before manufacturing them and selling thousands...?

The oem intake on the TL is a semi cold air intake as well....
Old 08-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by davewhodavedunn
I don't know if that is true, why would they make a short ram peformance intake from a well known company that makes worse performance? don't you think they would test them before manufacturing them and selling thousands...?

Because people buy them.

Some buy them for the sound alone and some don't know any better.

It's just like K&N claiming a mpg increase. It's impossible on a fuel injected car. All they have to do is test an old carbureted car with a severely plugged air filter for both power and mpg and they're legally free to claim it.

As airflow requirements go up with mods, a short ram becomes more of an advantage but it's not likely that anything short of a turbo would require it.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Because people buy them.

Some buy them for the sound alone and some don't know any better.

It's just like K&N claiming a mpg increase. It's impossible on a fuel injected car. All they have to do is test an old carbureted car with a severely plugged air filter for both power and mpg and they're legally free to claim it.

As airflow requirements go up with mods, a short ram becomes more of an advantage but it's not likely that anything short of a turbo would require it.
if anything CAI are good in the winter when the air is freezinggg coldd but other then that it just sounds nice and you risk suckin in water....im about to go back to stock intake
Old 08-09-2009, 04:09 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
in order for a short ram to be effective you'd have to remove the battery and the driver side headlight
Old 08-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Cruisin'

not worth it. intakes are just noiseboxes with a false promise
Old 08-09-2009, 06:47 PM
G Force

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, AEM V2, InJen and K&N CAIs... are merely for sound? Is this true? Right?
Old 08-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Yeah, pretty much. You should look at your exhaust system if you want some more power.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Instructor

i bought a k&n drop in filter a few of months ago and man does the mpg on it suck! As of now i get about 27 mpg on highway miles. Before I would get 32 to 33 with the oem drop in intake, what kind of crap is that? To me I think K&n filters are crap! I don't care if they have lifetime warranty on them or whatever. Maybe i should just stick with the oem intake or buy a fujita cai
Old 08-10-2009, 07:57 AM
boost owns

Capitalism, that's why. Money can be exchanged for goods and services.

The OEM intake works because it's not really a short ram, it's a filter in an enclosed box which is fed cold air through an intake tube.

A short ram intake just sits the filter out in the open amongst all of the hot engine bay air. It's really no good, and I don't see why you're so intent on the SRI being a good solution when there are cold air intakes available for the TL which are proven to be effective.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:58 AM
boost owns

Originally Posted by 1fsthatch
if anything CAI are good in the winter when the air is freezinggg coldd but other then that it just sounds nice and you risk suckin in water....im about to go back to stock intake
In order for hydrolock to be a valid concern, you would need to, on a regular basis, drive through bodies of water in your car. We're talking 12" or more of standing water. Just drive carefully and you won't have anything to worry about.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by 1fsthatch
if anything CAI are good in the winter when the air is freezinggg coldd but other then that it just sounds nice
Not exactly true .. unless the ambient temperature outside is hotter than the air under the hood ... the cooler the air the denser the air .. thus more O2 per CFM.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Audioserf
In order for hydrolock to be a valid concern, you would need to, on a regular basis, drive through bodies of water in your car. We're talking 12" or more of standing water. Just drive carefully and you won't have anything to worry about.
True. It really is hard to hydrolock an engine. The filter has to be almost completely submerged. Of course it happens but it's harder than people think.

Many of the domestic CAI makers put the filter in the engine bay with a plastic shroud around it that's fed cold air. It has a drain hole on the bottom so that if any water gets up there it will just drain out. Too bad nothing like that is made for the TL.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:03 PM
boost owns

Comptech's Icebox for the TSX sounds like what you're describing. They never made an Icebox for the TL? That surprises me. It's a good product, and is what I would run if not for my Injen CAI.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Green Machine

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Audioserf
Comptech's Icebox for the TSX sounds like what you're describing. They never made an Icebox for the TL? That surprises me. It's a good product, and is what I would run if not for my Injen CAI.
That's what I was waiting for Comptech to make the Icebox for our cars, but failed. I heard the Icebox has proven to perform better than the CAI/SRI.

One question; I've never seen an opened Icebox. Do they have a flat or cone filters inside?
Old 08-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

this post was to see if anyone HAS A SHORT RAM in their TL. I still don't want a cai. I live in canada, we get ALOT of snow, I mean alot, and slush ans everything else. I need to speak with someone who actually has a SRI on their TL to see what they think. Of course if you have a CAI your going to say a SRI is bad. I had a SRI on my accord and had it dynoed and it did make more horsepower.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Team Owner

this post was to see if anyone HAS A SHORT RAM in their TL. I still don't want a cai. I live in canada, we get ALOT of snow, I mean alot, and slush ans everything else. I need to speak with someone who actually has a SRI on their TL to see what they think. Of course if you have a CAI your going to say a SRI is bad. I had a SRI on my accord and had it dynoed and it did make more horsepower.
And the hood is open during a dyno. What do you expect?

If you're looking for a justification, you're not going to get one unless you like it for the sound. You're trying to spend money on something that at best will cause you to break even on power and likely lose power. I'm not sure what the point here is.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Instructor

what about oem intake resonator remove? power gain?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Everyone here has explained why SRI is not the option you want. If you are looking for a more throaty sound, let it be known, but most of us are operating under the assumption that you want power.

Understandably you want insight from SRI owners but take into consideration what these guys are trying to say...Unlike opinions, which are based on relative observations, these guys are actually justifying their claims through the basics of physics and logic.

Like I Hate Cars said...You're hood was more likely than not open in the dyno bay when you had the SRI on your accord...I wonder if they had a big industrial fan blowing as well...

Search for "Weapon R" or something like that. I believe that was an sRI system that a few AZine souls installed on their cars. To start you off.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=weapon+r

Last edited by ankur914; 08-10-2009 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Adding Linky
Old 08-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Burning Brakes

One more for you.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=weapon+r
Old 08-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

heres a good point..the new mustang and mustang bullitt uses a oem short ram intake....now why would they use that if it didnt do anything?
Old 08-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Team Owner

heres a good point..the new mustang and mustang bullitt uses a oem short ram intake....now why would they use that if it didnt do anything?
Notice the airbox around it that feeds it cool outside air.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Exactlly .... look at them in person ... its isolated from the engine heat.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
but wheres the ice? lol id put a bag of ice in there and let it sit around the filter lol
Old 08-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

why do ppl ask for advice, and then they dont even consider it? it appears that they've already made up their minds, and wont give up untill they hear what they wanna hear...and once they do, theyll say..."see, i knew it"

come on man.....get a real aftermarket intake, either injen or aem.... dont worry about hydrolocking...when ya wanna float, get a boat, dont use ur car...

everyone's claiming the noticeable differences with this short ram stuff.... the only thing they're noticing different is the simple expectation of a difference....everyone expects a differense, thus "a gain" each time they mod smth on the car...even if it makes no real difference...ull still feel as if u did, only for the simple reason because in ur head, you expected it, you believed it, and thats all it is.

ill give you an example.... an aftermarket cold air intake was installed in an S2000, base dyno vs CAI dyno...the car lost power.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Opel
but wheres the ice? lol id put a bag of ice in there and let it sit around the filter lol
You joke but I've used a friend's nitrous bottle to literally freeze my intercooler at the starting line, ice on the intake manifold, and coolant at 100 degrees. Talk about pulling out all the stops. I've picked up 2mph in the 1/4 from this.

Talk about weird looks as people watch you emptying out an entire 20lb bottle of nitrous into the grill.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

thats not a joke...i believe that!!!! id still stuff a bag of ice in there if i was lining up.
speaking of which...i was just getting on the way to the track yesterday. while driving i got cut off and had to swerve hard...ended up bottoming out, snapped the weld on the exhaust pipe as a resonator got caught up... dragged the exhaust on the street for a mile lol....fucking luck

Last edited by Opel; 08-10-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

regardsless of what is surrounding the intake on the mustang it is still a short ram and it is still in the engine bay which will still suck in heat if CAI were so good they would install them on every oem car
Old 08-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

regardsless of what is surrounding the intake on the mustang it is still a short ram and it is still in the engine bay which will still suck in heat if CAI were so good they would install them on every oem car
YOUR CAR HAS A COLD AIR INTAKE!!!! the one ur speaking of, you wont see on any cars...why? because they dont want ppl to drive through a river and have to be responsible for it for one, second...when it rains, ur filter will get a bit clogged from the moisture, makes the car feel a bit weird...the filter is exposed to a lot more crap than the OEM filter that sits pretty in the pastic box... so honestly, u wont see an aftermarket-like CAI installed on any cars...now high end cars, have big air vents dedicated specifically for CAI, tubing attached right on the vents, that run straight to the TB... this setup is completely unbeatable.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Im not versed in the mustang at all, but from the looks of it, the shape and design, it is like everyone else said; the plastic serves a function NOT TO SHIELD heat but to DIRECT cold air from the outside into the filter. You have nothing at all in the TL to direct cold air onto that filter if you go short ram. You have a whole lotta hot engine bay and thats about it.

Now you ask us, Why does ford do what they did...Using an SRI
Lets flip that question. Why did honda use a two-level induction system, where part of it is directly intaking cold air?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

No no no no no.

Call it a short ram or whatever. The length of the pipe means nothing whatsoever as long as it outflows the needs of the engine.

See the rubber on top of the box? That seals it to the hood when it's closed. Air gets rammed in near the grill. There's a huge volume of air getting rammed in there and the filter is sealed off from the rest of the engine bay. It is a cold air intake in the best location, behind the grill
Old 08-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Dave,
that picture....thats not even a short ram...thats almost just like every other oem induction system, with a filter inside an enclosed box, which in this case, it becomes enclosed once the hood is down....filter's sitting on top of the bottom opening, where the air makes its way through from below... also on the engine side its completely sealed once the hood shuts, leaving the front of it kinda open that would enable it to breath the air that gets through between the hood and the bumper..(when ur moving air gets through the front everywhere).. it looks like it gets air from underneath, and straight through between the hood and bumper.

usually aftermarket short rams are just a piece of pipe with a filter attached to the end, and some kind of heat shield behind the filter, supposedly keeping heat away, but never completely seal the filter away from the rest of the bay. but this one...its completely BOXED when the hood is down
Old 08-11-2009, 08:35 AM
boost owns

Originally Posted by t0talacuratl
That's what I was waiting for Comptech to make the Icebox for our cars, but failed. I heard the Icebox has proven to perform better than the CAI/SRI.

One question; I've never seen an opened Icebox. Do they have a flat or cone filters inside?
Flat filter, Comptech supplies a foam one, but most guys swap in a K&N.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:38 AM
boost owns

The OP seems to already be convinced that he wants an SRI and that an SRI is the way to go, and posted this thread solely as a trolling mechanism.

davewhodavedunn, between this and your "interesting" thread about taillight eyebrows, you appear to simply enjoy arguing. Good luck with your hot air intake. This thread is a lost cause.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Burning Brakes

whats that thing in your avatar?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Instructor

can someone answer my question please, does it help by removing the oem intake resonator? gain and colder air?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:38 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Originally Posted by stillhere153
in order for a short ram to be effective you'd have to remove the battery and the driver side headlight
Old 08-13-2009, 07:22 AM
boost owns

whats that thing in your avatar?
That would be a supercharged K24A2.

Quick Reply: Does anyone run a k& n short ram?