DIY 4" intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 06:20 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by anx1300c
NvrDwn, are you still making intakes or no?
Eh maybe I just got a second job so I'm doing 70 hours a week right now. So idk if id have enough time to get them out unless people didn't mind it taking some time like 3-4 weeks.

I also want to add, yes mine fit with the battery cover. However with the tl and tls being different it may not fit. I didn't get a lot of feed back from the one I made. All I know is that he couldn't make it fit. Without knowing exactly why I wouldn't want someone else out of there money unless they know and understand that they would be a guinea pig. I didn't like that the other guy was out here and I certainly am not here to intentionally out people of there money.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
Originally Posted by NvrDwn
Interesting.. So there is about 1-1.5 inch difference between the accord an tl. I made a trial one for a member and he couldn't get it to fit because I cut it to spec for an accord thinking it was the same. Once I found out it wasn't I sent him a 6" extension to more than make up the loss and for whatever reason it still didn't fit for him. However looking at this, I see no reason why it wouldn't.. Odd.
it should fit, however does require playing with different angles and positions

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Paperboy, what did you do with the breather hose from the manifold? I believe some people are just using a small filter on the end of it. I also have the IAT sensor to deal with since I have no provision for it on the 3.7 manifold. I can either relocate it under the front bumper or drill and have a bung welded into the 4" intake, which is what I'd rather do. Might as well weld on a second port for the breather hose while I'm there.
i put a filter there. I would like to add the tube and iat sensor hole but its a little more work than I care for at the moment, and plus I dont think I'll notice much difference either way.

Originally Posted by Lukieluc
Will I have this issue if I use 3.5" piping?
probably not
Old 03-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
For the 100th time, intake mods before the throttlebody have absolutely no detrimental effect on low or midrange torque. I wish that myth would die already.

Explain how you can lose torque by going with a higher flowing, larger diameter intake piping? If this were true, if more restriction equals more low end, we would make peak torque at idle when the throttle is closed.

The throttle IS the single biggest restriction, that's it's only job in life, that's what it does, throttle the air to control engine output. Anything below full throttle, the throttlebody is dictating airflow, not the plumbing or filter or whatever. So again, no loss of low end can possibly be experienced by freeing up the intake system unless you also believe that you can make more low end at part throttle instead of full throttle.

My take on these intakes is you've got nothing to lose. Probably nothing to gain but who knows. I have a 4' inlet and it supports over 600whp but it's only a foot and a half long. With the additional plumbing length of the TL, it might possibly gain a couple hp. Then again, 2hp is well within the error range of the dyno.

What I'm curious about is on that dyno sheet, the car loses power around 4k rpm with the 3.7 manifold and 3" CAI and the loss disappears with the 4" plumbing.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by I hate cars
For the 100th time, intake mods before the throttlebody have absolutely no detrimental effect on low or midrange torque. I wish that myth would die already.

Explain how you can lose torque by going with a higher flowing, larger diameter intake piping? If this were true, if more restriction equals more low end, we would make peak torque at idle when the throttle is closed.

The throttle IS the single biggest restriction, that's it's only job in life, that's what it does, throttle the air to control engine output. Anything below full throttle, the throttlebody is dictating airflow, not the plumbing or filter or whatever. So again, no loss of low end can possibly be experienced by freeing up the intake system unless you also believe that you can make more low end at part throttle instead of full throttle.

My take on these intakes is you've got nothing to lose. Probably nothing to gain but who knows. I have a 4' inlet and it supports over 600whp but it's only a foot and a half long. With the additional plumbing length of the TL, it might possibly gain a couple hp. Then again, 2hp is well within the error range of the dyno.

What I'm curious about is on that dyno sheet, the car loses power around 4k rpm with the 3.7 manifold and 3" CAI and the loss disappears with the 4" plumbing.
So, why did Sonnick gain midrange torque? He dyno proves it.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:02 PM
Team Owner

Are you referring to something I said? About midrange, it looks like there's no longer a drop off at 4k which is why I mentioned it.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Are you referring to something I said? About midrange, it looks like there's no longer a drop off at 4k which is why I mentioned it.
I'm talking about this "intake mods before the throttlebody have absolutely no detrimental effect on low or midrange torque. I wish that myth would die already."

Because Sonnick gained around 10-5wtq in the midrange by switching from the V1 to his 4 inch cai.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
I'm talking about this "intake mods before the throttlebody have absolutely no detrimental effect on low or midrange torque. I wish that myth would die already."

Because Sonnick gained around 10-5wtq in the midrange by switching from the V1 to his 4 inch cai.
LOL, he's saying the larger intakes don't hurt torque, like a lot of people seem to think. Probably the same people who think eliminating exhaust back pressure hurts torque.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:29 PM
Team Owner

Do you know what detrimental means?