Different comments on the AEM cai.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Different comments on the AEM cai.

Hello everybody, I am posting this thread to give some insight to those that are undecided on wether or not installing an intake.

Insatallation: I am posting my point of view concerning the installation of this intake since the infromation I found in the forums made in look like something really easy. After having a debate with myself on wether or not buying and installing the intake myself, I decided to do so. Well, it was a BIG mistake. If you are one of those people that basically just know how to fill the washer fluid tank and check the oil, forget about installing the intake yourself. After you lift those beautiful covers that surround the engine, you are going to find yourself surrouded by thousands of cables that are barely specified in the instructions that come with intake. This intake, to me, is very complicated and time consuming to install. So, if you're having the most minimum doubt about having problems by installing it yourself, call a mechanic.

Review: WOW WOW WOW. This intake will make the car sound ten times better than your predictions. It turns the car into a beast that will make sure that every car on the road knows when it is mad. This intake incredibly redefines the way that the TL expesses itself. And the good thing about it is that if you don't want it to sound it will not unless it is barely floored. You can have your regular daily commute without even knowing you have an intake even if the windows are down. I do not know if this intake really adds nineteen horsepower, but the sound of it will definitely make you feel you're going faster.

For those of you interested, I got it istalled in ninety minutes and ended up paying fifty dollars.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,923 Likes on 4,317 Posts
Thanks for the info. This is exactly why I've been putting off buying one. The install has me concerned. Thanks again for the heads up.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:07 PM
Intermediate

Nice insight. I've been planning, then placed the order, and then found some posts about the install challenges. Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade. What kind of shop did the install for you - local or chain? Thanks again!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pttl
Thanks for the info. This is exactly why I've been putting off buying one. The install has me concerned. Thanks again for the heads up.
where in NJ are you? I can install it for you. (It took me about 2 hours b/c some parts were hard to get off...I also took off the bumper too, just to make the install easier)
Old 08-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ThrotTLup
Nice insight. I've been planning, then placed the order, and then found some posts about the install challenges. Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade. What kind of shop did the install for you - local or chain? Thanks again!
I started installing it myself, but after half an hour of having trouble implenting the instructions I called my friend's mechanic. I would help you but I live in Florida.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:26 AM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed mine in about 1 hr. Now, I had already removed all the resonators from the factory intake, so that saved me about 40 minutes right there, but the rest of the install was fairly straight forward.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:28 PM
05 TL

I didn't feel that it was that hard... Try to keep a good amount space from the CAI and the mount point on the side of the engine compartment. I had a rattle when the car was idling and under slight load (like going up into my parking space). Just move it out just a tad and its all good.

Also, remove the wheel well lining. If you strip out the little plastic clips, they sell similar ones at autozone....

All the comments about how great it is... I wanted to put my 2 cents in. I dislike the noise it makes when you give it a little bit of gas... But I notice it at work in the basement parking garage.

But its less annoying then my Magnaflow exhaust...

Sorry.. I'm buzz kill..
Old 08-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Intermediate

No buzz kill - thanks for the perspective!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TTLL
I started installing it myself, but after half an hour of having trouble implenting the instructions I called my friend's mechanic. I would help you but I live in Florida.

I live on the key too; did you go to Mike here on the island?
Old 08-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Cruisin'

No, the mechanic lives in Kendall, and works at his house. He did an extremely clean job, if you are intersted I can give you his number.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TTLL
No, the mechanic lives in Kendall, and works at his house. He did an extremely clean job, if you are intersted I can give you his number.
Yeah, if you wouldn't mind; send it to me in a PM.

And have you ever had any trouble with the deep puddles out here and the intake?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ry317
Yeah, if you wouldn't mind; send it to me in a PM.

And have you ever had any trouble with the deep puddles out here and the intake?

I will send you the number. I just installed mine a month ago and every time I see a puddle no matter the size, I go really slow. I just hope that we get less hurricanes than last year because that WOULD be a disaster. I'f you ever want to hear the sound of it before the install I would be happy to show you.