Comptech Supercharger: Official Info thread.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by tzakiel
So if I got them on the phone tomorrow, when might I be able to get the blower installed? I must be out of my mind, this is a major mod but exciting. I know there must be some wait because of the release of the blower being so recent, but maybe dealers got them sooner?

I'm not sure that they are open tomorrow. And I'd be wiling to bet Lenny isn't working.

Also, you'd still have to wait for Comptech to ship a kit to Tischer; they don't keep them in stock.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mrsteve
There's a ton more plastic trim covers under the hood on the TL than previous cars Comptech has made kits for. These trim covers need to be cut in minor areas. When you go to take the blower off and sell the car you could easily and cheaply replace those panels.
ah, forgot about that.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:23 AM
I like to whistle in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeh, If i got one i would most likely make the drive and take it to Tishcer to have it installed. They seem more aware of what goes on in the aftermarket world as far as car modifiying. The fact that I've seen a few cars sponsered by them, a dealership, is pretty cool too.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Cold Racketeer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Meek32v6
Yeh, If i got one i would most likely make the drive and take it to Tishcer to have it installed. They seem more aware of what goes on in the aftermarket world as far as car modifiying. The fact that I've seen a few cars sponsered by them, a dealership, is pretty cool too.
I think he was saying you have to buy it from tischer for them to honor warranty, etc, not just have them install one you bought... sadly. But if they will price match as he said it could still be a very good idea.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
one of the perks of living in northern cal........take it directly to the comptech shop! So who's making the trip out of the 25+ that placed their orders already?
Old 11-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting news about Tischer.... I bought my 06 TL from Rosenthal, and am bringing in for bluetooth issues tomorrow morning.... I'll have to ask them their policy, and may just end up going to Tischer for the S/C in mid-january.

Thanks for the info mrsteve!!!

btw... where in MoCo is everyone from? I'm in the Olney area, if anyone is up for a little meet tonight, couple of us meet up in the Tara Thai garage by Barnes and Nobles up off Rockville Pike. Should be there around 10pm, you'll find the cars parked on the third level. Mostly Accords, but couple TSX, Subaru's, Evo's, etc. And of course my lone TL

-Tom C.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Cruisin'

if anyone is going to have one installed in Dallas/fort Worth I would go to Jotech motosports they know there stuff.... I have had all my work done there

http://www.jotechracing.com/
Old 11-25-2005, 11:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If anyone knows of any Acura dealer in Houston who would honor the S/C install, then I would jump on it. With a warranty of 100K and car only 2 months old, I have been trying to look the other way.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:53 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fatalglitch
Very interesting news about Tischer.... I bought my 06 TL from Rosenthal, and am bringing in for bluetooth issues tomorrow morning.... I'll have to ask them their policy, and may just end up going to Tischer for the S/C in mid-january.

Thanks for the info mrsteve!!!
Rosenthal's policy is that they'll still service and cover non-related warranty claims. But if anything remotely related to the supercharger fails you'll need to open your wallet. I live closer to Rosenthal but I drive to Tischer.
Old 11-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Racer

just a note to all who are ready to jump on the supercharger bandwagon...read the policies of your Comptech supplier VERY carefully...if this thing gets delayed (again) you could have some serious cash tied up in a NON-refundable "special order".
Old 11-26-2005, 08:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by TeamXRSX
Also, meant to ask...how are you guys going to retard ignition timing more for the advent of added boost pressure(i.e. raising boost pressures higher than 5psi?). The IAT trick will only work to such an extent. Also, say the engine does develop some pre-ignition(from over advanced ignition timing) or detonation(from lean AFRs)? With the knock sensor disabled(or even filtered) how will the ECU know to retard ignition timing to combat the knock?

CJ
Especially considering that this engine tends to knock occasionally N/A at "full Load" or 1 bar anyway.. then you through in some nice hot boosted charcge, and you are certainly going to induce knock.. How are you folks dealing with this issue?

Timing , especially on a forced induction application, is everything.

-JMS
Old 11-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JMShipp2
Especially considering that this engine tends to knock occasionally N/A at "full Load" or 1 bar anyway.. then you through in some nice hot boosted charcge, and you are certainly going to induce knock.. How are you folks dealing with this issue?

Timing , especially on a forced induction application, is everything.

-JMS
Try reading the thread.

We use the ACM device to clamp the MAP signal voltage so the ECU doesn't see the rise in manifold pressure. Then, since IAT is measured after the blower, we can rely on the ECU to retard ignition timing automatically based on the significant increase in IAT.

An increase in boost above what is initially offered with the kit would require an increase in static fuel pressure and/or a re-program of the ACM unit.

EDIT: Additionally the ACM unit from Comptech has it's own built in knock sensor to avoid detonation.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:31 AM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Steve, last I heard if the charger caused damage to the internals Tischer wouldn't be able to cover it under the Acura warranty. At least that is what they told a guy when he wanted to get his JRSC done there on his RSX. Have they changed policy and are they eating the warranty costs themselves when damage occurs? I can't see Acura warranty services footing the bill when a customer of theirs blows a motor that was boosted. I have always heard that Acura and Honda won't warranty damage caused by boost even it it was from Comptech parts.

D.

Rosenthal's policy is that they'll still service and cover non-related warranty claims. But if anything remotely related to the supercharger fails you'll need to open your wallet. I live closer to Rosenthal but I drive to Tischer.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by I-MOD
Steve, last I heard if the charger caused damage to the internals Tischer wouldn't be able to cover it under the Acura warranty. At least that is what they told a guy when he wanted to get his JRSC done there on his RSX. Have they changed policy and are they eating the warranty costs themselves when damage occurs? I can't see Acura warranty services footing the bill when a customer of theirs blows a motor that was boosted. I have always heard that Acura and Honda won't warranty damage caused by boost even it it was from Comptech parts.

D.
It's very interesting to see some folks are forking up serious $$ to pre-order the SC without even knowing what the warranty details are. I would be really interested in knowing who forked up the cash that find out about the crappy warranty will not install the SC.

So, thus far there is no SC shipping and no warranty details available. If they were available we would certainly know about it here.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Team Owner

D.

Honestly I think it's a case by case basis and something that each customer would need to ask about prior to making assumptions. Certainly if you purchase the blower from them, have them install it, and continue to service the car there they will be much more likely to help you out if this happens.

I do know this; one local boosted CL blew his motor because the guy that did the install (not Tischer) left the stock spark plugs in the car. He melted the piston rings on the rear bank. He needed a new complete shortblock. Tischer, who had nothing to do with the install of the blower, but had serviced the car in the past, did the swap VERY cheap in comparision to what it should have cost. I believe he was out the door for around $2,000 parts and labor.

However, how many cars (RSX, CL, TL) have had damaged internals on base-kit boost levels? None to my knowledge.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2_FastTLs
It's very interesting to see some folks are forking up serious $$ to pre-order the SC without even knowing what the warranty details are. I would be really interested in knowing who forked up the cash that find out about the crappy warranty will not install the SC.

So, thus far there is no SC shipping and no warranty details available. If they were available we would certainly know about it here.

Continuing to hate? You really have no idea what you're talking about and it's getting old.

What crappy warranty are you speaking of? Want an example of the crappy warranty? Here's a first hand story of the "crappy warranty."

A local guy here in MD named Brian purchased a brand new Comptech S/C'er for his 2003 CL-S from a Comptech vendor who used to sell on Acurazine. The kit was shipped to him and installed at Tischer Acura in Maryland. Well after taking it easy on the kit for a day or two to make sure everything was okay, he pushed the car to redline. Once he reached 5500 rpm a vibration occured that could be felt in the gas pedal.

Back to Tischer he went. Had the belts replaced and both supercharger pulleys replaced. After this he still had the problem. So they removed the blower, adjusted the mounting brackets and reinstalled it. Still, the same problem occured. Since Tischer had exhausted every option they knew of they called Comptech. Brandon at Tischer told me that a Comptech technician, Shad I believe, flew out from California to Maryland to take a look at the car and the problems it was having. They tinkered with a few things and ended up the best option was to replace the blower with another unit they had instock back in California. Comptech shipped the kit to Tischer at their cost and the new blower was installed. The problem went away.

This was the first instance where this problem had occured. All of this diagnostic work was performed at no cost to the owner of the car and he didn't even purchase the blower from Tischer Acura.

I say this is a first hand experience because I went on to purchase that car in June of this year.

Yeah that's a real crappy warranty.

Each individual dealership can decide how the Comptech kit will affect the FACTORY warranty but the Comptech warranty is readily available to anyone (even people like you who have no desire to purchase their products and just like to spread ) on their webiste. I believe it is a 2 year/unlimited mileage non-transferable warranty that covers every part of the kit.

Please you have nothing constructive to add to this thread. Find another one.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Instructor

However, how many cars (RSX, CL, TL) have had damaged internals on base-kit boost levels? None to my knowledge.
As long as everything is done correctly, It would be very difficult to hurt any of these honda engines with the low boost levels being used on the base kit's. Honda is known for being able to produce power in stock form with the addition of power adders like forced induction and still stay reliable. I have seen virtually every series of Honda engine made stay reliable for just about as long as the engine would have if left stock(with the exception of a few that got carried away and forgot the engine had a stock bottom end). Honda engineers do very well at making a very reliable and effecient engine that can be upgraded(to low boost level forced induction) with no major compomise in reliability. Again, it is very important that everything be done correctly for this to hold true. ALL things must be taken into account, weither it's proper spark plug heat range and gap, conservative tune aspects(conservative ignition timing that's 3-4 degs behind peak power and a proper tuned AFR), low boost levels, proper preventative maintanance, ect.

I have personally been involved with 500+whp K20A2 engines w/bone stock bottom ends and with no headwork. One of these engines produced this output for a good amount of miles and is still running hard today. There have even been some k-series people that were trying their hardest to blow they're engines up. One guy had a extra built K20A2 engine sitting in the garage waiting to be swapped in and was not worried about his stock engine...this particular person ran ungodly amounts of boost on this poor little bottom end, but could not grenade the engine....the engine just kept making more and more power. Of course, a stock bottom end can only take so much for so long, but this was amazing but is only one example. The b-series engines were alot of the same as well, this was a series of engines that had been awhile for a long time and people knew in and out. It was easy to make good power with the correct combination yet still using stock internals. But due to factory tolerances and differences during manufacturing, no two engines are exactly the same and one engine will be able to take more abuse than the other.

To sum it all up, i would not loose any sleep over 4-5psi on this engine at all, again, as long as everything else is taken care of.

CJ
Old 11-28-2005, 12:07 PM
2018 TLX A-SPEC

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool I'll refer them to talk to Lenny when they ask me. I have guys in his area that want installs but weren't sure if he would warranty EVERYTHING. I usually tell them he will warranty most thing when not caused by stupidity

D.

Honestly I think it's a case by case basis and something that each customer would need to ask about prior to making assumptions. Certainly if you purchase the blower from them, have them install it, and continue to service the car there they will be much more likely to help you out if this happens.

I do know this; one local boosted CL blew his motor because the guy that did the install (not Tischer) left the stock spark plugs in the car. He melted the piston rings on the rear bank. He needed a new complete shortblock. Tischer, who had nothing to do with the install of the blower, but had serviced the car in the past, did the swap VERY cheap in comparision to what it should have cost. I believe he was out the door for around $2,000 parts and labor.

Old 11-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Team Owner

Cool I'll refer them to talk to Lenny when they ask me. I have guys in his area that want installs but weren't sure if he would warranty EVERYTHING. I usually tell them he will warranty most thing when not caused by stupidity

D.

Cool but again it's doubtful they will warranty anything unless it's purchased from them. The example posted above is the reason why. For a ~$700 install they had a hell of a lot of time into the diagnosis of the problem.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Advanced

Continuing to hate? You really have no idea what you're talking about and it's getting old.
No hate, i'm not buying it. You keep blabbering stuff about a SC kit that is not even available.

What crappy warranty are you speaking of? Want an example of the crappy warranty? Here's a first hand story of the "crappy warranty."
Let me ask you, mrsteve, what dealership today is offering the Comptech SC for 2004-2006 TL and can give details on the warranty they will offer?

A local guy here in MD named Brian purchased a brand new Comptech S/C'er for his 2003 CL-S from a Comptech vendor who used to sell on Acurazine. The kit was shipped to him and installed at Tischer Acura in Maryland. Well after taking it easy on the kit for a day or two to make sure everything was okay, he pushed the car to redline. Once he reached 5500 rpm a vibration occured that could be felt in the gas pedal.
Blah blah blah, CL CL CL CL. This thread is about a Comptech SC kit for 2004-2006 TL, so who really cares about CL.

Each individual dealership can decide how the Comptech kit will affect the FACTORY warranty but the Comptech warranty is readily available to anyone (even people like you who have no desire to purchase their products and just like to spread ) on their webiste. I believe it is a 2 year/unlimited mileage non-transferable warranty that covers every part of the kit.
So again, of those who put up some $$ in a pre-buy for this kit, I wonder how many of those will opt out because the dealership from which they have it installed won't warranty much because the SC kit is not proven and too new.

Bottom line is, as of right there is no SC kit available. Nothing but facts.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Yeah, its STOCK!!!

Originally Posted by datplayaz
I wonder what the dyno sheet looks like, and where the powerband is.
i will have that for you on tues or weds. just dropped my car off earlier today to have comptech install a super charger onto my car.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Shift Gears

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any word on the install of the SC. I spoke with a local dealership and they said they would install but any damage from the SC would for sure not be covered under the Acura factory warranty. He also states that Comptech is legit in performance. The down side is that if I need to chage the spark plugs or do anything blocke by the SC that it is $300 on top of the service, because they would need to move the unit...
Old 12-08-2005, 05:32 AM
Team Owner

Spark plugs don't need changed for 105K miles. You really worried about that? By then you'd need to remove the blower for service anyways.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:33 AM
Team Owner

The only thing of concern that it blocks is the exhaust manifolds and some of the transmission bolts. If you need a new transmission or clutch the blower needs to come off. $300 is a rip off though. You can remove the blower to access those areas in about 30 minutes.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear

where can i get the suppercharger at
Old 12-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by matt tl
where can i get the suppercharger at
Group buy forum