Comptech supercharger - advertized gain versus usable gain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:27 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Well, truth is... I sat on the SC for year before I installed, casue I was worried as well.

In doing so I have been monitoring here for the last 3 years. I only know of 2 blown headgaskets and 1 blown motor... all of which were due to running the SC in a NOT STOCK config.

- Way back in 2006, one guy (Can't remmeber screenname) was running Juice and the SC on the track... likely without any tuning. Boom.

- Dan K blew his headgasket running the HBP

- USSI reported some trouble with SC HBP, but never fessed up to what it was.

- lookinco blew a headgasket... but for all i know, that was all a tall tale.

- Some guy local to me (guy witht eh 2 tone tl) is SC, he blew a ring due to "washout" from a sparkplug failure... ? Something fishy there.

///and in 3 years, those are the only SC blown motor I've been able to find. Even though it's unfortunately poorly tuned, it seems very reliable to me, otherwise it wouldn't be on my TL either.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
Well, truth is... I sat on the SC for year before I installed, casue I was worried as well.

In doing so I have been monitoring here for the last 3 years. I only know of 2 blown headgaskets and 1 blown motor... all of which were due to running the SC in a NOT STOCK config.

- Way back in 2006, one guy (Can't remmeber screenname) was running Juice and the SC on the track... likely without any tuning. Boom.

- Dan K blew his headgasket running the HBP

- USSI reported some trouble with SC HBP, but never fessed up to what it was.

- lookinco blew a headgasket... but for all i know, that was all a tall tale.

- Some guy local to me (guy witht eh 2 tone tl) is SC, he blew a ring due to "washout" from a sparkplug failure... ? Something fishy there.

///and in 3 years, those are the only SC blown motor I've been able to find. Even though it's unfortunately poorly tuned, it seems very reliable to me, otherwise it wouldn't be on my TL either.
Good post Kennedy but a couple questions though. Does your car suffer from the "surging" issue that some supercharged guys complain about and is the ACM supplied by comptech really that bad? Thanks
Old 07-20-2008, 02:13 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Lerlactl
Good post Kennedy but a couple questions though. Does your car suffer from the "surging" issue that some supercharged guys complain about and is the ACM supplied by comptech really that bad? Thanks
I have couple of posts on that... search a bit under my username. Could the tuning be better? I guess... Dunno. Is it bad? What's bad? The Supercharger works well... I'm happy with it.
My opinion, many who discuss how bad the surge is, have actually never experienced it... yet they "worry about it" like the car don't run right.

Is there a bit of surge? yes, I find it barely noticeable. The surge is characterized by a bit of stumble as the blower kicks in as you pull therough the 4000-5000 rpm band. Could it be better... I'm sure. It's the best of what's available right now, so why bitch? If Hondata or anyone else comes out with a batter map?full ECU tune, I'll likely for that later... but the car is definately a blast as is now... anything better is icing on the cake.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Team Anthracite

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kennedy! you make me feel much safer now!! =) good summary!
Old 07-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Kennedy,

Thanks for the good summary.

Add Cocoa to the list. I know his is not exactly a J32, but the same family of motor (I think).

See post #63 on page 3 and post #109 on page 5. He blew the head gasket and lost a few piston rings while using a 100-shot of Nox.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Inaccurate
Kennedy,

Thanks for the good summary.

Add Cocoa to the list. I know his is not exactly a J32, but the same family of motor (I think).

See post #63 on page 3 and post #109 on page 5. He blew the head gasket and lost a few piston rings while using a 100-shot of Nox.
Ring lands and headgaskets are more an indication of detonation than too much power...
Old 07-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Disturbin' The Peace!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madtraction39
I've always thought "roots-style" blowers were designed for low end power and torque. This means your s/c'd TL should be hitting full boost at a low rpm. Personally, if comptech doesn't come out with a blower for the 3g type-s I'm going to look into a custom turbo. I'm just concerned about the high compresion of the 3.5L motor.

I've decided to get the Type-S anyway. Its not worth justifying 5k=$$$$ for the S/C when it comes factory with almost 300hp. Not worth it IMO.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:07 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by 1FastVtec
I've decided to get the Type-S anyway. Its not worth justifying 5k=$$$$ for the S/C when it comes factory with almost 300hp. Not worth it IMO.
Probably the better deal for your needs...

FWIW, buy used. I got my blower, with lots of accessories (UR pulley, meth kit, gauges) for $2800 and installed it myself... 1/2 than 5K.

Get yourself a lightly used 2006 6MT and start the modding (exhaust, suspension, wheels..), then jump on the first used blower you see in the Black market (we average 2-3 a year sold there)... All said and done, you'll be $8-10K cheaper than a TL-S, and have 30-40 HP on em.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
I have couple of posts on that... search a bit under my username. Could the tuning be better? I guess... Dunno. Is it bad? What's bad? The Supercharger works well... I'm happy with it.
My opinion, many who discuss how bad the surge is, have actually never experienced it... yet they "worry about it" like the car don't run right.

Is there a bit of surge? yes, I find it barely noticeable. The surge is characterized by a bit of stumble as the blower kicks in as you pull therough the 4000-5000 rpm band. Could it be better... I'm sure. It's the best of what's available right now, so why bitch? If Hondata or anyone else comes out with a batter map?full ECU tune, I'll likely for that later... but the car is definately a blast as is now... anything better is icing on the cake.
You know I always wondered about the "surge" and think this is a good review. I have installed 4 of these kits and I didn't feel the "surge" in any of them although I wasn't the owner so maybe I didn't have enough time in the seat. But it wasn't anything that noticeable to me either.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably the better deal for your needs...

FWIW, buy used. I got my blower, with lots of accessories (UR pulley, meth kit, gauges) for $2800 and installed it myself... 1/2 than 5K.

Get yourself a lightly used 2006 6MT and start the modding (exhaust, suspension, wheels..), then jump on the first used blower you see in the Black market (we average 2-3 a year sold there)... All said and done, you'll be $8-10K cheaper than a TL-S, and have 30-40 HP on em.
I know that a lot of S/C'd members here put down a little less than 300 whp, many barely break 290. Theres guys with modded TL-S getting 275+ and still have more power mods left to improve.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:00 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by juruki
I know that a lot of S/C'd members here put down a little less than 300 whp, many barely break 290. Theres guys with modded TL-S getting 275+ and still have more power mods left to improve.
Sure... I'm not afraid my friend. That's the "subjectivity of the dyno", and some report high numbers and others report low numbers. Also rememeber, those in the lower ranges are usually in a 5AT

There's a limit to NA mods... and those guys in the TL-S are at it. Completely free flowing exhausts and intakes seem to get you about 275-280 on "high reporting" dynos. Other's with similar mods are barely breaking 270.
That's it. Ain't no more power to get without bigger displacement, Forced Induction, and or Juice...

Racinhart, in his TL-S is putting down just over 300 ON THE JUICE... He could he retool and put a 100 shot on for dyno pull, but that motor won't last long.

A base 6MT TL, with some good exhaust mods, and a SC has been shown over and over to be in the 320 HP range. Those numbers came before big Jpipes came out too. I'd bet I'm in the 320's right now... well, when it cools down a bit.

No TL-S will ever be there without a similar investment in more air and more fuel...
Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 PM
06 6spd TL BAGGED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ this man speaks the truth. get a supercharger!