Comptech Exhaust in winter climate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 08:36 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comptech Exhaust in winter climate?

hello fellow TLers...

i'm planning on purchasing a comptech exhaust for my TL, but i live in Montreal, so we get a fair amount of snow here, one of the guys at the dealership told me to avoid an aftermarket exhaust because they "hang lower" ?? does that make any sense? it's not like i go offroading with my car

Also, any fellow Canadians know of any good places to purchase aftermarket parts from online retailers located in Canada (so i don't get hit with customs and duties fees?) i plan on purchasing a BBK, and lowering my car in the spring, so any websites where i can purchase all the equipment would be fantastic
Old 01-14-2006, 08:38 PM
8th Gear

Oh, and one more thing, I have an automatic TL, and i remember reading about a droning problem on the early batch of Comptech exhausts, had that problem been fixed? how do i know if i buy an early exhaust or a newer one?
Old 01-14-2006, 08:41 PM
321 whp SAE

it will droan no matter what.. the winter thing doesn't make sense..
Old 01-14-2006, 10:51 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
hang lower? what the hell. if anything i would worry about corrosion, depending on what they use on the roads...

you'll be fine
Old 01-15-2006, 03:54 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Get it....you'll be happy you did. As far as hanging lower....he is talking about systems like those greddy coffee cans that hang really low....this is MADE to go on your car only....so you are good to go! As far as drone.....mine doesnt do it and I drive highway all the time?
Old 01-15-2006, 04:00 PM
321 whp SAE

Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
Get it....you'll be happy you did. As far as hanging lower....he is talking about systems like those greddy coffee cans that hang really low....this is MADE to go on your car only....so you are good to go! As far as drone.....mine doesnt do it and I drive highway all the time?

of course it drones.. are you out of your head? you're tryin to tell me you don't hear a bit of a difference? you must have that "special" comptech exhaust that came out of that special batch. highway speeds, you get on the gas.. it drones.. period
Old 01-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Intermediate

werd
Old 01-15-2006, 06:50 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Maybe I dont know what a drone is? Huh.....I really dont notice anything out of the ordinary whatsoever? Is is loud....sure.....

verb: make a monotonous low dull sound

Ok....I guess it does "drone". I thought exhaust drone was when there is a crazy (what I called droning sound) out on the highway-kind of a gurgling in the sound. Old chevys always did this out on the highway during long trips if you had a loud exhaust....there was this gurgle sound in the exhaust....almost like you could hear oil gurgling around in the motor in the sound....very hard to descibe.....kind of an "engine processing sound". I thought it was this sound people were talking about and was always mystified people had this in the TL also....so that answers the question. Well hell...if thats what people are talking about....shit...you should NEVER put an aftermarket exhaust on your car cause its gonna drone regardless, according to the webster def? I guess thats why I change the exhaust...I want the drone sound? Cause your not gonna find ANY exhaust that I have heard that is gonna be real quiet out on the highway and still get good flow benefits like the CT exhaust does, right? Or am I seeing this wrong.....
Old 01-15-2006, 07:05 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

No kidding....huh......people get loud exhausts and then wonder why they are loud? Mystifies me....

Are there "combo" exhausts out there that are loud AND quiet?

Wow...was just thinking about our Lexus...it has an L-tuned exhaust on there....and now that you mention it.....I guess it isnt as loud out on the highway as mine is....but when you punch it....is "kind" of loud. I get it now! Crazy...learned something on a Sunday! Thanks guys...thats one of the reasons I am here! To learn something I didnt know! Guess I am lucky I had another car that prob meets the "doesnt drone" category or I would probably still be mystified! But that Lexus is semi-quiet out on the highway.....louder than stock...but not loud like the Comptech system is.

I wonder what they call that weird nonharmonic gurgling sound (not the cackle sound when you let off throttle) that you hear on the highway on the old V8's that drone. A gurgling drone?
Old 01-15-2006, 07:54 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by MichaelBenz
I wonder what they call that weird nonharmonic gurgling sound (not the cackle sound when you let off throttle) that you hear on the highway on the old V8's that drone. A gurgling drone?

i can never hear that sound because my ears already hurt so much from how loud my exhaust is in the 67 mustang...i guess we could call that "ringing?"
Old 01-15-2006, 10:01 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Ok....checked it out a while ago. The Comptech Exhaust (IMHO) comes with "drone optional" to some degree. Below 2000rpms it is fairly quiet....above 2000rpms it starts to drone loudly. This happens at right around 68-70mph in the automatics....so if you like to drive under/at 65mph....you are good to go fairly quietly and in the city if you keep out of it...you can also keep it fairly quiet if you want to....BUT.....if you drive like about 95% of us around here.....it will probably drone most if not all the time as you are either in it or on the brakes!

Bottom line on automatic trans IMO....
(highway drive)
less than or = to 1900rpm (68-69mph) no drone and fairly quiet
greater than or = to 2000rpm (70+mph) drone starts and is present

Never knew there was so much to this drone issue....but I stand corrected here.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:48 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I called Comptech a couple of months ago. They said that they have heard of some complaints about the drone on automatics. And that they had modified their mufflers for the TL by "adding an extra pipe in the muffler", whatever that means. And all the newer CT exhaust systems for the TL were to be built that way.