Comptech 3rd gen supercharger picture!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 08-31-2005, 03:13 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they don't come out with it soon they're gonna have to change their name to "CompTech-nically-challenged".
Old 08-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
har ...
Old 09-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_FastTLs
If they don't come out with it soon they're gonna have to change their name to "CompTech-nically-challenged".
Old 09-01-2005, 04:11 PM
Shift_faster

Some 9,000 odd people viewed this thread. I say about 5 will actually buy out of all who posted in this thread. What's the incentive for them?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Some of you are complaining as if you were the one who gave your car up for the R&D. You haven't given anything up, but are bitching about a supercharger that only a minute percentage of the TL owners will buy?
Old 09-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Team Pumkin

There is no way to tell for sure just how many would purchase a SC so based on the very early release info i'd say people are justified with their respective bitch after soooooooooooooooo fuggen long

BD
Old 09-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Some 9,000 odd people viewed this thread. I say about 5 will actually buy out of all who posted in this thread.
Make that 6!
I can't wait till it is finally released, I'm ready to buy today
Old 09-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Racer

Angry

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Some 9,000 odd people viewed this thread. I say about 5 will actually buy out of all who posted in this thread. What's the incentive for them?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Some of you are complaining as if you were the one who gave your car up for the R&D. You haven't given anything up, but are bitching about a supercharger that only a minute percentage of the TL owners will buy?

Who's side are you on? Is that your car in the pic? If 5 are sold from peeps who posted in this thread alone when it's released, I'd say that is plenty of incentive especially when you consider how many will buy that haven't posted here.

I'm all about the bitching!!!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Make that 7 seven. Im going to bitch. i looked at turbo but the sub frame is in the way for the downpipe. So the SC is the only way. Would love Vortech to make one i know that would kick comptech ass. They did it for the G35
Old 09-02-2005, 01:17 AM
Instructor

Sept 1st newsletter

clicky

Old 09-02-2005, 02:36 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
please say it's so......

funny thing, I was just talking to my boy today about actually trading in my TL for an early model S4 or G35 sedan so I could whip it up since I was friggin tired of waiting around for the meatier performance parts. especially after riding in his car after he got the chip installed.

If this supercharger is out, I am all over it....
Old 09-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by chusteveb

I'm all about the bitching!!!
That's what I mean. We all seem to be about bitching. Let's continue the discussion on how they change ETA's on the SC.

On a serious note, mrsteve, xelvic:

Thanks for the update. Looks like the SC is CARB certified, so it shouldn't be that far away now. Although if it is, I'll bitch damn it!
Old 09-02-2005, 11:00 AM
Racer

Any word on if this will affect the manufacture warranty?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

I am almost off the warrnaty now so bring it on
Old 09-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chusteveb
Any word on if this will affect the manufacture warranty?

It shouldn't affect it one bit if you purchase it from and have it installed by your Acura Dealership. If something as simple as belt slip occurs on my Comptech blower all I have to do is call the dealership and bring it it. Hop in the loaner car for the day and pick it up fixed and ready to go later that night.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:22 PM
Instructor

now all you need is a high boost pulley or a Hope Systems IC
I may be getting a 04+ TL soon if the deal doesnt go thru with this other car I'm looking at.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by special-ed
funny thing, I was just talking to my boy today about actually trading in my TL for an early model S4 or G35 sedan so I could whip it up since I was friggin tired of waiting around for the meatier performance parts. especially after riding in his car after he got the chip installed.

If this supercharger is out, I am all over it....
my friend has a 2000 s4; thing is pushing close to 400 hp and around that much torque too! he's going stage 3 sometime in the near future; all the parts are in, just waiting for time to install it.
I've been in the car when he's burned many many cars (M3s, AMGs, supercharged RSX, etc. etc.). It's so funny to see their faces when we blow past them
Old 09-30-2005, 11:57 AM
Advanced

Whipple had the same problem with their superchargers for the Lightnings... They only were able to make a small about because there supplier (Lysolm) had a problem with their compressor distributor.... but I guess the issue is resolved and they should be sending the majority of the orders soon...

They kept telling people 2 weeks..... 8 months later still no blowers!
Old 10-02-2005, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Well that explains it then, they used the wrong people to build. Magnuson and Alpine know their she-it.

Originally Posted by E-luzion
Whipple had the same problem with their superchargers for the Lightnings... They only were able to make a small about because there supplier (Lysolm) had a problem with their compressor distributor.... but I guess the issue is resolved and they should be sending the majority of the orders soon...

They kept telling people 2 weeks..... 8 months later still no blowers!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

The thing about getting a S/C is you really need to do your homework before you purchase it. It's already a hassle to make an appointment with an Acura dealership... needless to say some of their customer service attitude are below average.. suppose you had a problem with your S/C and requires you to wait a week for an appointment, it will be stressful.
It's important at least you do learn about S/C before you go ahead and purchase one
Old 10-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Advanced

Well that explains it then, they used the wrong people to build. Magnuson and Alpine know their she-it.

The mag blower for the lightnings is called the Works.. but the whipple supposedly is more efficient from what I remember reading on the boards... A few guys have whipples and one guy actually lent his out to one of JDM Engineering's customers to use and tune his built Lightning... they are tuning now i believe.... the truck already goes low 10's on a Kenne Bell, no spray.. so we are waiting for the whipple times....

As for the TL...I'm not really sure exactly how much power is going to be made from a S/C, What I dont like is the long snout shaft.... I know there has been a lot of talk about turbos and ive read the posts about them... I really dont know how strong the stock internals are....

A friend of mine is running a T-78 turbo on a stock block supra.. est 600+ horsepower and I guess the block can take it.... I would be more inclined to do a turbo then a S/C...
Old 10-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Advanced

The TL already is high compression, making nearly impossile to do forced induction without tearing the motor down.

I would elect a turbo over the SC for TL. The costs to do it though (to do it right) will run about $15k when all is said & done.

Originally Posted by E-luzion
The mag blower for the lightnings is called the Works.. but the whipple supposedly is more efficient from what I remember reading on the boards... A few guys have whipples and one guy actually lent his out to one of JDM Engineering's customers to use and tune his built Lightning... they are tuning now i believe.... the truck already goes low 10's on a Kenne Bell, no spray.. so we are waiting for the whipple times....

As for the TL...I'm not really sure exactly how much power is going to be made from a S/C, What I dont like is the long snout shaft.... I know there has been a lot of talk about turbos and ive read the posts about them... I really dont know how strong the stock internals are....

A friend of mine is running a T-78 turbo on a stock block supra.. est 600+ horsepower and I guess the block can take it.... I would be more inclined to do a turbo then a S/C...
Old 10-03-2005, 01:04 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

The costs to do it though (to do it right) will run about $15k when all is said & done.
What is this based on? Sounds like quite a generalization...
Old 10-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Team Owner

The TL already is high compression, making nearly impossile to do forced induction without tearing the motor down.
Not true at all. The J32A2 in the 2nd Gen cars has just slightly lower compression (10.5:1) and runs 6-7psi with no problems whatsoever with no more than a voltage clamp on the MAP sensor and a fuel pressure regulator. Also, the K20A2 in the RSX-S runs the same compression as the 3rd Gen TL (11.0:1) and they easily run 9psi on superchargers. Some turbo cars are pushing 15psi on the stock motor.

I would elect a turbo over the SC for TL. The costs to do it though (to do it right) will run about $15k when all is said & done.
The largest hurdle in that project (just like with the SC) is how to fool the new ECU. If Comptech comes up with a solution for that a turbo system would be about half your $15,000 estimate.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Advanced

Has anyone emailed SCT/Superchips??? Also if i remember correctly, and i probably dont, did someone say that the exhaust manifolds for the TL are welded to the engine???

As for the 15,000 price tag... That seems a little high, unless you are working a company that is doing R&D as you go....I know a Lightning owner that just built a mega turbo motor.. and the company that helped him is now creating a kit... I might give them a call and see what they say....
Old 10-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Advanced

11:1 is already on the verge of not being able to run pump gas, and then you want to increase that with forced induction?!!! You are therefore severly limiting the ability of the unit (SC or turbo). The game in forced induction is to jam as much fuel mixture into the cylinder as possible without detonating it. All properly built blower and turbo motors use low compression piston setups so that the units can pump in huge amounts of the fuel mixture.

The $15k # comes from multiple things. Headers, exhaust, bigger injectors, better fuel pump, head shims or blower pistons, remapping the ecu, etc, etc, etc... Simply slapping a air pump onto the motor is not the right way to do it!

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Not true at all. The J32A2 in the 2nd Gen cars has just slightly lower compression (10.5:1) and runs 6-7psi with no problems whatsoever with no more than a voltage clamp on the MAP sensor and a fuel pressure regulator. Also, the K20A2 in the RSX-S runs the same compression as the 3rd Gen TL (11.0:1) and they easily run 9psi on superchargers. Some turbo cars are pushing 15psi on the stock motor.

The largest hurdle in that project (just like with the SC) is how to fool the new ECU. If Comptech comes up with a solution for that a turbo system would be about half your $15,000 estimate.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:44 PM
"Joe Cool"

Maybe I am mising sumthin but $15K

Q: Will the suspension on the TL handle the speed from the increased HP.

Hell, why not just buy a Vette if you want that much power.

Just wondering?
Old 10-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Team Owner

11:1 is already on the verge of not being able to run pump gas, and then you want to increase that with forced induction?!!! You are therefore severly limiting the ability of the unit (SC or turbo). The game in forced induction is to jam as much fuel mixture into the cylinder as possible without detonating it. All properly built blower and turbo motors use low compression piston setups so that the units can pump in huge amounts of the fuel mixture.

The $15k # comes from multiple things. Headers, exhaust, bigger injectors, better fuel pump, head shims or blower pistons, remapping the ecu, etc, etc, etc... Simply slapping a air pump onto the motor is not the right way to do it!

I'm not talking about pushing 30psi through the motor. You don't need that much boost. On these cars they react very well to minimal amounts of forced induction. Trust me I'm on my 2nd supercharged Acura. And the K20A2 in the RSX runs 11:1 compression and revs to 8,800 rpm with no problem on 15 psi with the cybernation kit. It is possible to do it correctly without building the bottom end. It's been done before. There's well over 100,000 miles combined on the boosted members cars in the 2nd Gen TL and CL forums and no one has blown a motor due to too much boost or lack of fuel. The only problems have come from people making mistakes like the wrong spark plugs, etc.

Sorry to burst you $15k bubble but you don't need to build the motor to boost this car.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Advanced

OK, you're right. So now that I think about it, you make it sound easy to do, but then again, makes me wonder what Comptech has been doing for almost 2 years trying to get a SC to work on a 3g TL.

I'm not talking about pushing 30psi through the motor. You don't need that much boost. On these cars they react very well to minimal amounts of forced induction. Trust me I'm on my 2nd supercharged Acura. And the K20A2 in the RSX runs 11:1 compression and revs to 8,800 rpm with no problem on 15 psi with the cybernation kit. It is possible to do it correctly without building the bottom end. It's been done before. There's well over 100,000 miles combined on the boosted members cars in the 2nd Gen TL and CL forums and no one has blown a motor due to too much boost or lack of fuel. The only problems have come from people making mistakes like the wrong spark plugs, etc.

Sorry to burst you $15k bubble but you don't need to build the motor to boost this car.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:21 PM
Team Owner

OK, you're right. So now that I think about it, you make it sound easy to do, but then again, makes me wonder what Comptech has been doing for almost 2 years trying to get a SC to work on a 3g TL.

The new ECU is giving them a headache. The previous ECU modification only put a clamp on the MAPs voltage signal to the ECU. The new system they delveoped controls that as well but also controls ignition timing, injector pulse width, VTEC engagement, etc, etc.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Yes i wanted to put a Vfac on the car but i was told the computer was to smart for that
Old 10-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Advanced

Ok, they (Comptech) knows this and so do we, but they've had almost 2 years to work on it, so what gives?

The new ECU is giving them a headache. The previous ECU modification only put a clamp on the MAPs voltage signal to the ECU. The new system they delveoped controls that as well but also controls ignition timing, injector pulse width, VTEC engagement, etc, etc.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Team Owner

Maybe it just isn't possible to make it and keep it reliable

Comptech is a SMALL shop with a lot under their belt. New NSX supercharger, changes to the RSX supercharger, the new Civic is out, etc, etc.

And people at Comptech do browse these forums from time to time. With all the negative feedback from the very start of the supercharger project do you really think they'd want to push it to the front of their priorities list?

Meanwhile RSX guys are literally begging for more power (aftercooler and more boost) and many new products from other companys make a lot more power on the NSX for the same price as the current Comptech blower so they need to up the ante. I don't blame them at all for delaying it so long.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Maybe it just isn't possible to make it and keep it reliable

Comptech is a SMALL shop with a lot under their belt. New NSX supercharger, changes to the RSX supercharger, the new Civic is out, etc, etc.

And people at Comptech do browse these forums from time to time. With all the negative feedback from the very start of the supercharger project do you really think they'd want to push it to the front of their priorities list?

Meanwhile RSX guys are literally begging for more power (aftercooler and more boost) and many new products from other companys make a lot more power on the NSX for the same price as the current Comptech blower so they need to up the ante. I don't blame them at all for delaying it so long.
You make a good point about priorities MrSteve. Comptech's new cash cow probably will be the newer Civic. I can see that car pulling in more sales than any other single Honda or Acura model.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:57 PM
IT OWNS

MRSTEVE knows his s*it. Try not to post things that you aren't certain of. Less use for the constantly needed correction posts.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by znorris
MRSTEVE knows his s*it. Try not to post things that you aren't certain of. Less use for the constantly needed correction posts.
Not sure how this was mis-interpreted, but I was simply agreeing with Mr. Steve.....
Old 10-10-2005, 04:02 PM
IT OWNS

Scribesoft....Not sure why you thought I was directing that comment towards you. Guilty conscience?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Originally Posted by znorris
Scribesoft....Not sure why you thought I was directing that comment towards you. Guilty conscience?
I guess I do. Maybe b/c you were the next poster. No harm.. I need a vacation!
Old 10-10-2005, 07:44 PM
IT OWNS

Might I suggest one of the Virgin Islands. Just got back from Peter Island....$1400 a night... but man was it worth it. Couldn't take the TL with though. Didn't fit in the helicopter. That was the only downside.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Anthracite,Carmel,6MT

The SC is here

We are being told by production that they will begin shipping in November. We currently have over 20 on order, so the wait is slightly longer for new orders; if you would like to place an order, please call sales at 888-626-6783. Thanks for considering Comptech.

Comptech

Quick Reply: Comptech 3rd gen supercharger picture!!!!