The complete RV-6 HFPC's progression thread. (From J-Pipe-HFPC's-True Dual Exhaust)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:42 PM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
The complete RV-6 HFPC's progression thread. (From J-Pipe-HFPC's-True Dual Exhaust)

Just got the RV-6 HFPC's installed and I figured that I would give the community something to listen to.

The first video is just the exhaust note with the RV-6 V3 J-pipe installed so that you can compare the difference pre and post install. there is some background noise in the video but it goes away when I start the car. The second video is with the HFPC's installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g9n..._order&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3zIT...TzwfyM&index=3

The next video is with the hood up and Richie's V3 J-pipe and HFPC's installed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j93Q3uXEtAI

I do have some videos with driving by without the HFPC's installed. I should be able to take some post install videos and I will post them up for those interested.

As far as a review is concerned, I am very pleased. I can feel more power after I hit 3K RPM's. In the higher range the car feels lighter and quicker. Right after the install there was a slight "smell" within the cabin but I am confident that it will go away after I drive a bit more.

I will write more once my car learns the new mod and I do some more driving.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:53 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
very nice...
Old 05-07-2011, 03:59 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
It's kinda hard to hear the difference in the vids. Especially in the vid with the hood open due to Honda's notorious valve tick! Are you still on the stock exhaust as well if so the resonator is playing a role too in the sound. When you did open it up a bit you can hear it growl a bit. I can only imagine it will get better in sound when you do get an exhaust.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
It's kinda hard to hear the difference in the vids. Especially in the vid with the hood open due to Honda's notorious valve tick! Are you still on the stock exhaust as well if so the resonator is playing a role too in the sound. When you did open it up a bit you can hear it growl a bit. I can only imagine it will get better in sound when you do get an exhaust.
Exactly... It is hard to really hear the difference. However, "the growl" that you hear really is there It doesn't sound "ricey" at all!!! As of right now, I am still waiting on the RV-6 exhaust to be finished and shipped. I can't wait

Most people that are installing any form of PCD's are afraid of rasp and with Richie's HFPC's there is none. I'm going for a drive now to really take a good listen.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
very nice! i like it
Old 05-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts
Thanks for the review.

So did you notice a good gain in performance with the HFPC? Is the power more pronounced under SS or regular auto?

I plan on doing the same setup you have and was wondering if this was a good combo, or if I should wait for Richie's exhaust (if he's still taking new orders).
Old 05-07-2011, 08:21 PM
6spd FTW

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Morrissey25
Exactly... It is hard to really hear the difference. However, "the growl" that you hear really is there It doesn't sound "ricey" at all!!! As of right now, I am still waiting on the RV-6 exhaust to be finished and shipped. I can't wait

Most people that are installing any form of PCD's are afraid of rasp and with Richie's HFPC's there is none. I'm going for a drive now to really take a good listen.
Glad to hear about the lack of rasp. I don't mind it too much since it's usually only present during heavy acceleration.

Also, cool to see a 'ziner so close, you're practically down the street from me if you're in New Windsor.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Sweet cant wait to get home from work so I can watch these vids. Im mainly interested in the Type S sound with ONLY the v3 jpipe and 100% stock otherwise. How would you say the sound changed with just the jpipe installed and nothing else? Richie told me that its not much diffeent than stock maybe a tad deeper is this true?
Also, do you recomment doing just the v3 jpipe on a stock 08 Type S 6mt? Basically what im getting at is it worth the $400+ for it? are seat of the pants gains noticeable or negligible at best?

Thanks,
James
Old 05-07-2011, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by vp55
Thanks for the review.

So did you notice a good gain in performance with the HFPC? Is the power more pronounced under SS or regular auto?

I plan on doing the same setup you have and was wondering if this was a good combo, or if I should wait for Richie's exhaust (if he's still taking new orders).
I really love the set-up the way it is right now. It is quiet when it needs to be quiet and aggressive when I want it to be. If you are hesitant on spending the money for the exhaust then go with the HFPC's. When I am driving "normally," I can feel the extra power waiting to be unleashed.

I am almost afraid to change anything because I love it how it is... but I know that Richie's exhaust will be amazing when it is paired with the RV-6 HFPC's and the V3 J-pipe. I am very hopeful that the exhaust will be delivered soon and when it is I will post up some more videos.

Originally Posted by Tehvine
Glad to hear about the lack of rasp. I don't mind it too much since it's usually only present during heavy acceleration.

Also, cool to see a 'ziner so close, you're practically down the street from me if you're in New Windsor.
Where are you located? I don't get a chance to see to many 'ziners around the area. It was funny today because I went to get gas and there was a KBP TL-S and another base TL filling up at the same time... they just didn't look like they were members of the A'zine community
Old 05-07-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Sweet cant wait to get home from work so I can watch these vids. Im mainly interested in the Type S sound with ONLY the v3 jpipe and 100% stock otherwise. How would you say the sound changed with just the jpipe installed and nothing else? Richie told me that its not much diffeent than stock maybe a tad deeper is this true?
Also, do you recomment doing just the v3 jpipe on a stock 08 Type S 6mt? Basically what im getting at is it worth the $400+ for it? are seat of the pants gains noticeable or negligible at best?

Thanks,
James
James, Richie is 100% right. The tone was deeper and much more aggressive sounding. Honestly... It is ABSOLUTELY worth the $400! The gains from just the J-pipe alone are VERY noticeable. I promise that you will not be upset

In addition to the J-pipe I also have the AEM CAI which does change the sound a little bit. Here is one of the pre HFPC videos that I shot for comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRLj2a3rs40
Old 05-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
It sounds good man. Do you have any CEL's? I think on the older deletes (instead of a hfc in its place) had an issue with the CEL coming on when cruise was engaged. I was just wondering if you have had any pop up since install. I would grab these if I didn't buy suspension the other night for my other car lol.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Former Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow thanks for the review about richies new pcds and the v3 j pipe. how is the gas mileage with the new performance parts?
Old 05-07-2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by NAiL05
It sounds good man. Do you have any CEL's? I think on the older deletes (instead of a hfc in its place) had an issue with the CEL coming on when cruise was engaged. I was just wondering if you have had any pop up since install. I would grab these if I didn't buy suspension the other night for my other car lol.
No CEL's as of yet and I don't forsee any issues arising.

Originally Posted by EvoToTL
wow thanks for the review about richies new pcds and the v3 j pipe. how is the gas mileage with the new performance parts?
That is one loaded question

If there was any improvement in gas mileage I haven't noticed because I am having to much fun driving When the newness of the mod wears away then I will be able to post if there was any improvement in MPG.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
James, Richie is 100% right. The tone was deeper and much more aggressive sounding. Honestly... It is ABSOLUTELY worth the $400! The gains from just the J-pipe alone are VERY noticeable. I promise that you will not be upset

In addition to the J-pipe I also have the AEM CAI which does change the sound a little bit. Here is one of the pre HFPC videos that I shot for comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRLj2a3rs40
Dang that sounds pretty good in that video. I wish you had that same video taken with a 100% stock car as well for best comparisons. Either way though that sounds great right there.

James
Old 05-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
OP you are an asshole. This is the combo I wanted to do. Now I want it even more. Intake sounds nice btw.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Yvuru
OP you are an asshole. This is the combo I wanted to do. Now I want it even more. Intake sounds nice btw.

I'll probably be even more of an asshole after I take new comparison drive by videos... and when you hear how it sounds now... I don't even want to think about the anger you will have then
Old 05-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
That gear oil smell will go away in a day or two! I installed the cats Sunday and the smell was gone by Monday. It's just the way new metallic cats smell during burn in. Car sounds great!
Old 05-07-2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by anx1300c
That gear oil smell will go away in a day or two! I installed the cats Sunday and the smell was gone by Monday. It's just the way new metallic cats smell during burn in. Car sounds great!
I figured... The smell is already gone. The same thing happened when I installed the J-pipe. After a few hours of driving the smells were gone.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Drifting

what are you talking about?

i have NEVER got a CEL from the rv6 v1 pcds or my v3s now.

only reason why i get a CEL from time to time is because i need my ECU updated, theres a TSB about it for the type-s's/

my problem is likely the same problem as others. has NOTHING to do with the pcds

OP-

glad you finally got them installed, it sounds very quiet, almost like stock. im sure when you do the exhaust it will get louder, also you will notice the gains more since the bottlenecking problem with your exhaust will be gone.

i must say, im pretty surprised not even the slightest wheel chirp or spin

Last edited by greco9885; 05-08-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Its been a while but I read up when some guy took a road trip with the v1's and used his cruise his CEL popped on when he engaged it. But I think there was a revised secondary o2 deal richie provided to fix it.

Anyway it sounds good. Any pics of it in the engine bay? I need a little more go in my daily.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Drifting

Its been a while but I read up when some guy took a road trip with the v1's and used his cruise his CEL popped on when he engaged it. But I think there was a revised secondary o2 deal richie provided to fix it.

Anyway it sounds good. Any pics of it in the engine bay? I need a little more go in my daily.
do you even know what the code was? your posts are irrelevant. cruise control and a CEL for cat efficiency have nothing in common. also just to clear it up, my CEL was for leans front bank 2 and rear bank 1.

OP if you did not get this done i would suggest it since it may get you worried if a CEL happens to go on. codes are P0171 and P0174
Old 05-08-2011, 04:49 AM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Morrissey, the exhaust sounds great! I hate all you bastards that got your HFC's already. Reading this is getting me excited. I WANT MY HFC's NOW!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:46 AM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by greco9885
do you even know what the code was? your posts are irrelevant. cruise control and a CEL for cat efficiency have nothing in common. also just to clear it up, my CEL was for leans front bank 2 and rear bank 1.

OP if you did not get this done i would suggest it since it may get you worried if a CEL happens to go on. codes are P0171 and P0174
I keep getting those codes too and I had the TSB done as well and the dealer gave me a bullshit excuse it's the gas. I have to bring it to my mechanic to check. It's a damn shame I gotta pay when the car is under warranty too. Also that code could very well be related to the maf sensor I was told.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

car doesnt have a maf. it runs off a map.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
I keep getting those codes too and I had the TSB done as well and the dealer gave me a bullshit excuse it's the gas. I have to bring it to my mechanic to check. It's a damn shame I gotta pay when the car is under warranty too. Also that code could very well be related to the maf sensor I was told.
thats crazy, those codes come on probably once a month or so but only stay on for a few hours. now hearing what you said i doubt im going to get it done, i dont need any dick service guy voiding my warranty so i can get the ecu update that doesnt work
Old 05-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Burning Brakes

I figured... The smell is already gone. The same thing happened when I installed the J-pipe. After a few hours of driving the smells were gone.
So there isn't any smell or rasp after a few days? Did the car sound louder after the HFPC install from what you can tell, it's kinda hard to tell from the vids.

Sounds like a win-win.

Last edited by vp55; 05-08-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

It definitely sounded different through my speakers. Sounds a lot better than I thought. Definitely the next upgrade on my car along with a jpipe.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Burning Brakes

It definitely sounded different through my speakers. Sounds a lot better than I thought. Definitely the next upgrade on my car along with a jpipe.
You're right. I just listened to it again on my laptop instead of the iPhone and it def. sounds more throatier/louder. Not to loud which is what I was hoping for and think this will be the next mod as well.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:07 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
sorry but call me a cynic but in your vids all I hear is AEM intake lol....

def need some fly by vids
Old 05-08-2011, 06:14 PM

So there isn't any smell or rasp after a few days? Did the car sound louder after the HFPC install from what you can tell, it's kinda hard to tell from the vids.

Sounds like a win-win.
NO smell. no rasp... Honestly, the car sounds pretty much the same (which is what I wanted). At times I am able to hear a "little something" but it sounds good.

You're right. I just listened to it again on my laptop instead of the iPhone and it def. sounds more throatier/louder. Not to loud which is what I was hoping for and think this will be the next mod as well.
There is quite a difference from iPhone to desktop. make sure that you listen to the new video on your desktop to get the full realm of sound. Now that I listen and compared the before and after videos, I can hardly tell the difference.

The post install videos are uploading now and should be sone in a few minutes...

Originally Posted by stillhere153
sorry but call me a cynic but in your vids all I hear is AEM intake lol....

def need some fly by vids
Now that I listen and compared the before and after videos, I can hardly tell the difference... and yes, that AEM is really pronounced in the drive by

I guess the good news for those that are afraid to purchase the HFPC's is that you can install them and then take your mother out for a drive, or wife, or kids and they will not be able to tell the difference... and then when you drop them off you will be able to feel the difference
Old 05-08-2011, 06:27 PM

Here is the post install video. I had to use the ol tripod on this one. During the first acceleration I decided to keep the car in 1st and 2nd gear... you can hear me red lining it in 2nd On the way back I passed the camera in third and kept it at about 5500 RPMs and gave the gas a little tap after I passed the camera. 3rd pass in second and that was all she wrote.

I'm glad that the plane flying by waited till the end of the run. In the first video I did a plane was flying around and you couldn't hear the car as well And because this was my second attempt my brakes were shot. At the end of this clip I tried to stop next to the camera but it took me an extra 20 -25 ft. to stop. After I back up and stop, you can see the smoke coming from the brakes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GizkAEgOSAY
Old 05-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts
thank you so much i needed to hear this badly. HFPCs will be my next mod shortly followed by custom exhaust. sounds good, but too high pitched for me. since seeing the Vid i know know i will need a resonator on top of my muffled x pipe.

No offense SOUNDS AWESOME but dont want that pitch for a dialy driver.

PS get a freakin valve adjustment man ur car sounds like a locomotive! i need 1 too tho my engine sounds the same at idle
Old 05-08-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fatfrii
thank you so much i needed to hear this badly. HFPCs will be my next mod shortly followed by custom exhaust. sounds good, but too high pitched for me. since seeing the Vid i know know i will need a resonator on top of my muffled x pipe.

No offense SOUNDS AWESOME but dont want that pitch for a dialy driver.

PS get a freakin valve adjustment man ur car sounds like a locomotive! i need 1 too tho my engine sounds the same at idle
No offense taken... the thing is that I never drive like this. This type of acceleration is only for the people on Acurazine When I am driving "normally" from point A to point B there is hardly any difference. My biggest fear was being part of the "angry bee" club... but after a few days, I am 100% satisfied.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Valves are normal honda has the notorious valve tick on pretty much all there lineups.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Their...
Nice videos...wow, that video of you hitting it in the dark and taking off...looks like a friggin 10 second quarter mile to me!!

Sounds amazing!
Old 05-08-2011, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Their...
Nice videos...wow, that video of you hitting it in the dark and taking off...looks like a friggin 10 second quarter mile to me!!

Sounds amazing!
Its a good thing that was a downhill run
Old 05-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Sounds very good. I'll start a thread with some vids next weekend so you guys can hear it with full aftermarket exhaust. I took a few today, but let's just say my six year old Canon Elph left a lot to be desired, so I just ordered a Nikon P300 which shoots full HD in stereo.

And seriously guys, jump on these while they're available, because who knows what the future holds. The quality on these is top notch, with some of the cleanest welds I've seen, and Richie didn't gouge the pricing like he could have. He basically just added the cost of the cats to the price of the full deletes. These are much higher quality than Pro cats and those were close to $1100 for three.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Sounds very good. I'll start a thread with some vids next weekend so you guys can hear it with full aftermarket exhaust. I took a few today, but let's just say my six year old Canon Elph left a lot to be desired, so I just ordered a Nikon P300 which shoots full HD in stereo.
That sounds good. I'm not sure if a thread already exist but I think that we should have one (no comments allowed) where we could list what our exhaust related mods are with a video clip or two... that would allow other members the ability to match what we have to what they are looking for. I guess it would be one of those "UNOFFICIAL EXHAUST SOUND CLIP for the 3g TL" threads.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

You're the fvckin man Morissey25. Thanks for the clips and can't wait to see and hear the RV6 Exhaust (whenever it ships) as I know you have been anxiously waiting for it lol.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Hey PCD are different than HFPC's, right?!?!?

Quick Reply: The complete RV-6 HFPC's progression thread. (From J-Pipe-HFPC's-True Dual Exhaust)