Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Opel
it was only an example.... and btw, some ppl like me put too much work into their cars...therefore i will not babysit it. I will drive it hard, and shift it hard till the dash pops outta place

so i will say again... slave cylinder and dual-mass flywheel on the TL are completely disgusting....

if anyone wants the soft side of a car, they should just buy an auto. .. there's no "i want a very fast car, with loads of power, but quiet as it can be. best handling, but soft suspension. soft engaging clutch for smooth shifts . max performance tires but quiet" <<<thats what a bitch wants...

if you wanna feel connected to ur machine...everything's gotta be HARD.... there's no ifs ands or buts
That's understood, but the TL is far from a fast car or even a sports car. It's a semi-luxury sporty sedan. 99% of the people that buy a TL are buying it to get from point A to point B in comfort. A FWD car with a NA V6 is not the best foundation for performance.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
enough said...we know what the tl is and isnt, man.....so then this is for anyone...dont mess with it, if you can't face the fact that performance with luxury and smoothness do not fit together...so pick and choose.

i got the car because of whole bunch of reasons combined, and turned it into something that its not supposed to be...and thats the fun in that....the stiffest suspension, noisiest stiffest tires, hardest grabbing-dash shattering-clutch along with 370 whp (on the way to over 400 ) and so on...

cheers:::
Old 07-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
enough said...we know what the tl is and isnt, man.....so then this is for anyone...dont mess with it, if you can't face the fact that performance with luxury and smoothness do not fit together...so pick and choose.

i got the car because of whole bunch of reasons combined, and turned it into something that its not supposed to be...and thats the fun in that....the stiffest suspension, noisiest stiffest tires, hardest grabbing-dash shattering-clutch along with 370 whp (on the way to over 400 ) and so on...

cheers:::
I think we actually agree. My only point was why the engineering compromises were made that you pointed out.

I'm still feeling guilty for the slightly stiffer ride from the a-spec springs and swaybars and the roadnoise and sharp impacts from the larger high performance tires. I enjoy *trying* to make a no compromise ride which is nearly impossible. That was my reasoning in going with larger swaybars and softer springs. It's a compromise over going with stiff springs but IMO worth it to keep most of the comfort.

In my other car I have made the same power for many years ago yet went through tons of turbo/head/cam/ combos making it extremely streetable and stock appearing. That's just what I'm into I guess.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:20 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
well i've been clutchless for a while now. i've got the CM setup sitting on the floor right now. just need the extra 700 to get it installed. so i guess i'll be seeing first hand how well it holds up
Old 07-05-2009, 01:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I think we actually agree. My only point was why the engineering compromises were made that you pointed out.

I'm still feeling guilty for the slightly stiffer ride from the a-spec springs and swaybars and the roadnoise and sharp impacts from the larger high performance tires. I enjoy *trying* to make a no compromise ride which is nearly impossible. That was my reasoning in going with larger swaybars and softer springs. It's a compromise over going with stiff springs but IMO worth it to keep most of the comfort.

In my other car I have made the same power for many years ago yet went through tons of turbo/head/cam/ combos making it extremely streetable and stock appearing. That's just what I'm into I guess.
i completely understand you as well...what gets me is, when ppl say things like... i installed high performance tires but they're noisy, or i got a high performance clutch but its too harsh...or i got high performance suspension but its too stiff...i mean geeez, its either or... i have tires with very stiff sidewalls...the suspension on the car has 0 body roll and 0 dive, the only thing that absorbs anything is my seat..pushing the car around the turn will make the rear end kick out just like a rear wheel drive car would...which means its very very stiff,... i mean i can put the thing sideways, powerslide it...its amazing lol....and its a front wheel drive. i feel everthing from the road...the flattest road surfaces and the most perfect...i will feel a rock of sand... but thats me..lol
Old 07-05-2009, 12:52 PM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it was only an example.... and btw, some ppl like me put too much work into their cars...therefore i will not babysit it. I will drive it hard, and shift it hard till the dash pops outta place

so i will say again... slave cylinder and dual-mass flywheel on the TL are completely disgusting....

if anyone wants the soft side of a car, they should just buy an auto. .. there's no "i want a very fast car, with loads of power, but quiet as it can be. best handling, but soft suspension. soft engaging clutch for smooth shifts . max performance tires but quiet" <<<thats what a bitch wants...

if you wanna feel connected to ur machine...everything's gotta be HARD.... there's no ifs ands or buts
Yeah seriously tried taking out the front poly mount to replace it with the stock unit to lessen vibration and I can already feel that I picked up more slack =/

So what is this slave cylinder valve removal that your talking about? I thought we only had that check valve in the line to worry about?
Old 07-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
No check valve in the line thats for the CL style as I recall. The 3rd gen TL is located in the slave itself.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Bored at work

well my clutch finally shitted on me today. i got the car back from the dealer on friday after the clutch master cylinder broke. when i drove off the clutch was slipping more than ever and i told the service adviser and he offered to help me out. acura is going to pick up the tab for labor but they will only put in the stock clutch. you guys think i should let them do it. i am kinda iffy on this because i just bought a brand new clutch disk replacement from clutch masters and i was going to put it in on wednesday. what should i do .... will any of you guy be interested in a clutch masters stage 3 set up???
Old 07-06-2009, 02:47 PM
I (don't) whine.

Originally Posted by Xiomaro
well i've been clutchless for a while now. i've got the CM setup sitting on the floor right now. just need the extra 700 to get it installed. so i guess i'll be seeing first hand how well it holds up
Make SURE you swap ring gears before you even attempt to put this in unless you want to install it twice.

Originally Posted by tl2slow
well my clutch finally shitted on me today. i got the car back from the dealer on friday after the clutch master cylinder broke. when i drove off the clutch was slipping more than ever and i told the service adviser and he offered to help me out. acura is going to pick up the tab for labor but they will only put in the stock clutch. you guys think i should let them do it. i am kinda iffy on this because i just bought a brand new clutch disk replacement from clutch masters and i was going to put it in on wednesday. what should i do .... will any of you guy be interested in a clutch masters stage 3 set up???
Again?? I finally got my ring gears swapped and the clutch is good to go for now. The startup is just how it used to be - quiet. My slave cylinder did lock up so I swapped that out. How much is labor on the master cylinder that you're thinking putting the stock setup back?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:51 PM
I (don't) whine.

^I misread what you wrote....so they're giving you a stock clutch free and clear?
Old 07-06-2009, 02:58 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by ussi
Make SURE you swap ring gears before you even attempt to put this in unless you want to install it twice.

Again?? I finally got my ring gears swapped and the clutch is good to go for now. The startup is just how it used to be - quiet. My slave cylinder did lock up so I swapped that out. How much is labor on the master cylinder that you're thinking putting the stock setup back?
The CM clutch and flywheel are working good now? Is it safe to pick one up from CM?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:05 PM
Bored at work

if i get the work done at the dealer i have to pay for the stock clutch and the labor is free. but i just got the replacement clutch disk and was about to take off the stock ring gear off the clutch. the dealer will not put on the cm clutch only the stock one. what should i do??
Old 07-06-2009, 03:25 PM
I (don't) whine.

Originally Posted by Hi speed
The CM clutch and flywheel are working good now? Is it safe to pick one up from CM?
No, but if you get one from them you can have them (or have your local shop) swap ring gears and you should be good to go. I've had mine in for a week, let me break it in and let you know.

Originally Posted by tl2slow
if i get the work done at the dealer i have to pay for the stock clutch and the labor is free. but i just got the replacement clutch disk and was about to take off the stock ring gear off the clutch. the dealer will not put on the cm clutch only the stock one. what should i do??
Oh well if you're going to have to pay for a new stock clutch i would say No, might as well spend the $$ and put the CM kit in and get the ring gears swapped at the same time. I mean I love the grab of the CM kit, I don't know how I got by with the stock clutch...
Old 07-06-2009, 04:40 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
No, but if you get one from them you can have them (or have your local shop) swap ring gears and you should be good to go. I've had mine in for a week, let me break it in and let you know.
Thanks, I will wait for your review.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:24 PM
2005 Acura TL 6 Speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh well if you're going to have to pay for a new stock clutch i would say No, might as well spend the $$ and put the CM kit in and get the ring gears swapped at the same time. I mean I love the grab of the CM kit, I don't know how I got by with the stock clutch...
X2

I need to do something about my clutch.