To build my 07 type s block or go with a j37 mdx block to build, I will be going m90

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
Just to be clear, how is cautioning someone about adding forced induction to a 3G TL with an automatic transmission when said transmission has a very well known history of being particularly fragile, saying "it won't work"?

Like it or don't, my comments were meant to be cautionary, NOT to say it wouldn't work.
Well known they are fragile transmissions but the type s ones arent as bad as you think. Upgraded cooler and upgraded torque converter im sure it can handle what he wants at 400whp. Im just trying to say stop with the negativity. Instead of stating the problem, find a solution for the problem. Its an old car yes and the aftermarket support is small. But its actually grown alot now. You can get parts for our jseries now. And they arent that expensive for the power gains you can get. Tuning use to be a problem but we have options for that now as well. Evolve boys!!
Old 02-08-2020, 05:27 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,006 Likes on 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by Gumby309
Well known they are fragile transmissions but the type s ones arent as bad as you think. Upgraded cooler and upgraded torque converter im sure it can handle what he wants at 400whp. Im just trying to say stop with the negativity. Instead of stating the problem, find a solution for the problem. Its an old car yes and the aftermarket support is small. But its actually grown alot now. You can get parts for our jseries now. And they arent that expensive for the power gains you can get. Tuning use to be a problem but we have options for that now as well. Evolve boys!!
And with input from both sides of the fence, someone can make an informed decision. Do you have a problem with that?
Old 02-09-2020, 09:30 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Could have ended with "That's all I'm trying to say" instead of the sentence you wrote HS. I understand you're trying to warn people to be prepared for the worst and all that, but sometimes you do come across as a bit strong. People just need to get to know you better.

OK Boomer!

The following users liked this post:
teh CL (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 12:19 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Old 02-09-2020, 12:34 PM
Late to the 3G Party

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
Clearly, being the voice of reason which blows up half baked ideas; yeah, definitely a cancer in this collective. I can live with that.
Clearly your mind is made up; given that, why are you continuing to ask? Just put the damn blower on the engine and watch your transmission blow up; then you can be the member who cautions the next person with the bright idea of adding forced induction to an automatic 3G TL.
And with input from both sides of the fence, someone can make an informed decision. Do you have a problem with that?
Get off your high horse lol. You're not advising and you damn sure didn't provide evidence from both sides. You came in here to provide advice on OP's topic, but once the word "auto" was mentioned, you began trying to shoot people down with your assumed conclusions based on old/irrelevant/second hand info. Then when people provide evidence to the contrary you throw insults and sarcasm. Voice of reason? Lmfao. How can you speak on something that you have no first hand experience with... you couldn't even identify the most basic differences in these auto trans. Why would anyone listen to you (and your blatant bias) when they can gather the same information you did without an unnecessarily injected personal opinion? I get it, your opinionated (and who isn't on the internet these days?), but maybe it would be in your best interest to stick to topics you know about.
The following 2 users liked this post by mb.3g:
Gumby309 (02-11-2020), Shadow2056 (04-07-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 12:58 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by mdnborg
Get off your high horse lol. You're not advising and you damn sure didn't provide evidence from both sides. You came in here to provide advice on OP's topic, but once the word "auto" was mentioned, you began trying to shoot people down with your assumed conclusions based on old/irrelevant/second hand info. Then when people provide evidence to the contrary you throw insults and sarcasm. Voice of reason? Lmfao. How can you speak on something that you have no first hand experience with... you couldn't even identify the most basic differences in these auto trans. Why would anyone listen to you (and your blatant bias) when they can gather the same information you did without an unnecessarily injected personal opinion? I get it, your opinionated (and who isn't on the internet these days?), but maybe it would be in your best interest to stick to topics you know about.
You have my permission to continue acting like an ass; have at it.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:07 PM
Late to the 3G Party

You have my permission to continue acting like an ass; have at it.
When the facts start coming out, you resort to insults. How mature for a man in his late 50's. 🤡

Last edited by mb.3g; 02-09-2020 at 01:10 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mb.3g:
Gumby309 (02-11-2020), oraclem20 (03-02-2020), Shadow2056 (04-07-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 01:31 PM
Late to the 3G Party

Thanks for signing my permission slip, dad 🤗

The following 2 users liked this post by mb.3g:
Gumby309 (02-11-2020), Shadow2056 (04-07-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 01:35 PM
Latent car nut

Oh well done, you are so much smarter and wittier than I am; I yield.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:01 PM

Thanks for signing my permission slip, dad 🤗

Old 02-11-2020, 01:05 AM
Instructor

thanks for signing my permission slip, dad 🤗

😂😂😂😂
Old 02-12-2020, 09:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Lol!!! Yea these fools on this forum are a bunch of douchebags!! Lol not all of them but your regulars. J37 block will bolt right up to your auto or manual type s tl!! Doo what you want and don't let these fools stop you. They orginally told me a j37 wont work. That was proved wrong very fast. They like to read instead of actually doing the job. Bunch of fake mechanics that think they know evrything about a tl. 😂😂😂
Yea I'm thinking the j37 from the MDX, I need to do some more research first on which block to run with or just build my type s block
Old 02-13-2020, 12:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chito59
Yea I'm thinking the j37 from the MDX, I need to do some more research first on which block to run with or just build my type s block
Any j37 will work with your heads. use j37 headgasket with your j35a8 heads
Euro-R_Spec_TSX (03-08-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 06:37 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,966 Likes on 14,484 Posts
You're in your 60's man...
they aren't going to get what you're getting at until they are older.
The devil is wise because he's old!

It's just cautioning them...doesn't mean you don't want to be their friends if they do it anyway.

I trust Andy pretty implicitly...and he says that you can make the auto tranny last, even with a lot of power. Mdb is saying that's the case for him a friend.
I still can't be convinced it's a good idea if it was MY money and I was starting down that road. Then again, in most circumstances I'm pretty biased toward
loving driving a manual car. And I don't kid myself into thinking you won't run into a bunch of bullshit with the clutch and transmission and axles on a manual TOO if you
shoved 500hp through it... everhadyourshitpushedin.gif

Which takes me back to whether or not it's a good idea to chase big power on this platform.
But that's not the topic. And I'm too cheap to give it a shot...I bet I would love it though.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockstar143
You're in your 60's man...
they aren't going to get what you're getting at until they are older.
The devil is wise because he's old!

It's just cautioning them...doesn't mean you don't want to be their friends if they do it anyway.

I trust Andy pretty implicitly...and he says that you can make the auto tranny last, even with a lot of power. Mdb is saying that's the case for him a friend.
I still can't be convinced it's a good idea if it was MY money and I was starting down that road. Then again, in most circumstances I'm pretty biased toward
loving driving a manual car. And I don't kid myself into thinking you won't run into a bunch of bullshit with the clutch and transmission and axles on a manual TOO if you
shoved 500hp through it... everhadyourshitpushedin.gif

Which takes me back to whether or not it's a good idea to chase big power on this platform.
But that's not the topic. And I'm too cheap to give it a shot...I bet I would love it though.

His wisdom comes from reading this forum. Do the work and youll have more knowledge than someone reading info.
Sorry but not a fan of the old man. He can sit in his rocking chair with truong and sip on some Budweisers on his front stoop. Move over cause theres a new wave of jseries builds coming soon. If you still think we dont have aftermarket support, youve been out of the game too long.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:11 PM

Who's the aftermarket support?
Bruce, Marcus, Even Josh kinda...Richie...Andy...Rodney?
I promote the shit out of what they are doing and love that they
are passionate and still supporting this platform!
I keep my ear to the skreets! I'm woke!

Unless you meant autoanything and amazon prime in which case I apologize.

About your Horsey...doing it and that it can be done and that it has been done doesn't mean it's a good idea, which is all he's trying to say.
Also though, who is his target audience? A 40 year old woman trying to commute the car with no issues...probably sage advice.
For a young buck with money to burn that wants to go fast and has his hands on an auto 3G...shit, deaf ears!
Have at it, that's what makes this shit fun!
Old 02-13-2020, 01:20 PM
Latent car nut

His wisdom comes from reading this forum.
Is that what you actually believe; if so, you haven't been paying attention.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockstar143
Who's the aftermarket support?
Bruce, Marcus, Even Josh kinda...Richie...Andy...Rodney?
I promote the shit out of what they are doing and love that they
are passionate and still supporting this platform!
I keep my ear to the skreets! I'm woke!

Unless you meant autoanything and amazon prime in which case I apologize.

About your Horsey...doing it and that it can be done and that it has been done doesn't mean it's a good idea, which is all he's trying to say.
Also though, who is his target audience? A 40 year old woman trying to commute the car with no issues...probably sage advice.
For a young buck with money to burn that wants to go fast and has his hands on an auto 3G...shit, deaf ears!
Have at it, that's what makes this shit fun!

We arent their financial advisors bro. Im sure most people who are going to actually build their car know its not cheap. Whatever car you choose is on you. Its not always about being the fastest thing on the street. Sometimes we just want the fun factor of modding our cars. To have fun and learn as we build a car.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:34 PM

J series + aftermarket support..

It's definitely better than it was a few years back but it's still a joke compared to others in the game.

At the end of the day, modding isn't cheap, let alone modding a Honda V6 into the 500whp+ range with an auto no less. A lot of guys have come in with big dreams to "change the game" for the J series & aside from maybe a handful of guys, it's always a humbling experience.

Just comes down to be realistic & picking a better platform.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:19 PM

I have a TON of respect for Andy...aside from being a personal friend, his commitment to understanding every nook and cranny of things and then making them better...is really second to none.
If he says auto can take it, I believe it...if he says he can force 9 hundy through that bitch, shit...let's get it!
I LOVE driving my TL-S...and the Audi is substantially faster and the CTS-V was also a ton faster...but fun factor, the TL is a great
feeling car to fuck around in.

Also, when I see them, I still break neck because of how gorgeous I think they are.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Tl is a fun lil daily you can beat on and have a great time doing it. Its sure as hell isnt the fastest thing in the world but can be quick enough to have a great time on the highway. Alil bit of boost or nitrous dont hurt no one. So why not try it if youre ambitious enough. And have the extra $$$ to spend. Everyone definitions of a fun car is different tho. For me this tl platform is a perfect daily for my life. If i wanna add boost to it, why not?? If i wanna throw cams and build the heads, why not?? If i just want bolt ons with a tune, why not?? To each they own.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by teh CL
J series + aftermarket support..

It's definitely better than it was a few years back but it's still a joke compared to others in the game.

At the end of the day, modding isn't cheap, let alone modding a Honda V6 into the 500whp+ range with an auto no less. A lot of guys have come in with big dreams to "change the game" for the J series & aside from maybe a handful of guys, it's always a humbling experience.

Just comes down to be realistic & picking a better platform.

Not in it to change the game like andy and others. Im just in it to enjoy the game with my fellow jseries guys. Dont need to hear all the negative about what cant be done or shouldnt be done. This is the platform we have chosen. Hence why we are even in this chat. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:27 AM
Rawr.

Received 715 Likes on 421 Posts

Old 02-14-2020, 03:25 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Modifying a TL for performance

Acura TL Builder (02-24-2020)
Old 02-14-2020, 03:25 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
An automatic at that

Old 02-14-2020, 04:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Majofo

I guess andys build is funny to you as well. Or even shanes turbo tl Lmao at least people got a build. we already have 2 fast cars we're building at the shop already. This is my daily beater so doesnt have to be that fast. One day, maybe, you can build something cool. If you wanna see the 2 builds we're doing, check out CLUBHOUSEPERFORMANCE.

auto or manual do what you want OP. youre not looking for crazy power so it can be obtained. Just dont expect it to be the fastest thing out there. Theres always someone faster. Have fun and build your car the way you want. These guys arent your financial advisors. They probably dont have a build in there possession as well cause theyre either too cheap or too broke to do the build.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:32 PM

Some of us know the sauce very well..

Originally Posted by Majofo

Old 02-14-2020, 07:05 PM
Intermediate

Yea I know its not the best platform for speed but I love my tl, and know it's not cheap but why not do it and say I did it and be happy about myself accomplishing something, then next I will get a Pontiac g8 gxp for speed, I'm 34 and married with 4 kids I love cars with a passion
Gumby309 (02-14-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 12:39 PM
Intermediate

Lol!!! Yea these fools on this forum are a bunch of douchebags!! Lol not all of them but your regulars. J37 block will bolt right up to your auto or manual type s tl!! Doo what you want and don't let these fools stop you. They orginally told me a j37 wont work. That was proved wrong very fast. They like to read instead of actually doing the job. Bunch of fake mechanics that think they know evrything about a tl. 😂😂😂
How.much better is the j37 block built than the type s block
Old 02-23-2020, 07:43 PM
Instructor

How.much better is the j37 block built than the type s block
more torque bro. Only j35 i had was a j35a3 (01-02 mdx) with type s cams in a 2003 Acura cl type s. It was untuned but my j37/j35 swap pulled wayy harder from 2500rpm up. Torque is great.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:25 PM

I encourage you guys to do it.
It's not my money.
Acura TL Builder (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 07:37 PM
Intermediate

Just pulled the trigger on a j36 motor, only.problem is it wont bilt.up to my type s auto trans any suggestions of should I just get a j37 block and bore and stroke it
Old 02-24-2020, 08:56 PM
Instructor

If you get j37 you don't need to bore. Just slap your heads from type s on it. Thats what i did. Use j37 headgasket
Old 02-24-2020, 09:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
If you get j37 you don't need to bore. Just slap your heads from type s on it. Thats what i did. Use j37 headgasket
if J32a2 heads fit in a J35A8 block. Does that mean J32A2 heads fit on a J37 block? :o
Old 02-24-2020, 09:10 PM
Instructor

Just pulled the trigger on a j36 motor, only.problem is it wont bilt.up to my type s auto trans any suggestions of should I just get a j37 block and bore and stroke it

you can go full j37 really. Only reason i did j35 heads was because the heads were bad on j37. Itd be cheaper to just go full j37.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Saving4aTL
if J32a2 heads fit in a J35A8 block. Does that mean J32A2 heads fit on a J37 block? :o
honeslty not sure. didnt andy do the j32a2 heads?? Its not a complete bolt on like the j35a8 heads i believe. But ive never tried it so i wouldnt know.
Acura TL Builder (02-29-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 06:09 PM
Intermediate

honeslty not sure. didnt andy do the j32a2 heads?? Its not a complete bolt on like the j35a8 heads i believe. But ive never tried it so i wouldnt know.
I think he had to do some fabrication for them to work I know the j32a3 heads I have will fit and I'm trying to decide if I'm either going to find a 04 to 06 bell housing to put on my type s trans or just pull the mdx crank and rods out the j32a3 block and put them in my type s block
Old 02-25-2020, 10:27 PM
Instructor

I think he had to do some fabrication for them to work I know the j32a3 heads I have will fit and I'm trying to decide if I'm either going to find a 04 to 06 bell housing to put on my type s trans or just pull the mdx crank and rods out the j32a3 block and put them in my type s block
How much you want for the j32a3 block with j37 crank and rods?? I have a j37a1 motor from 2010 mdx i might trade for it
Old 02-28-2020, 08:34 AM
Intermediate

How much you want for the j32a3 block with j37 crank and rods?? I have a j37a1 motor from 2010 mdx i might trade for it
I will be using the crank and rids in my j35a8 block , j32a3 block will be sold bare
Old 02-29-2020, 03:35 PM
Safety Car

Received 856 Likes on 704 Posts
Andy is a pioneer. He was the first to do so.

Quick Reply: To build my 07 type s block or go with a j37 mdx block to build, I will be going m90