Blown Engine - Another HBP Victim

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010 | 11:01 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Blown Engine - Another HBP Victim

As most of you know....I sold my 2005 TL as is (meaning I didnt remove anything or part it out at all) to a guy down the street from me and got a 2005 CTS-V to play in.

I should note here...it was supercharged...evo2 system...all richie parts beforehand exhaust wise...high boost pulley...CAI.....ect.

Well...as most of you also know...I kind of had it set up so I could run it this way with no issues. Whats the first thing he does? Swaps the EVO2 catback system back to OEM and continues to drive it. (of course...raising backpressure on the motor, raising IATS, and raising boost level a bit due to not being as efficient) As he is a friend, I kind of mentioned in passing to him that this might not be the best scenario - but that it was his car.

He then drives the car from Indiana to Florida and back. Soon after returning from Florida....the engine began to smoke wildly out of the catch can breather system that is installed on the car.

So....car ends up at a friends shop here in Indy to have a look and see what the deal is. Brian finds stock OEM spark plugs installed in the car (somewhere along the line after buying the car...the owner took it to the dealer for a service as called for on the dash A3-B1---whatever it was) I am assuming the dealer changed the plugs back to stock OEM plugs? Not good....and further led to the engines demise IMO. And I note...the owner DROVE the car into the shop. Before it was over...engine was TOAST! Brian tried to start it again the next morning and said it was hydrolocked at that point. lol

So....end of story...the guy I sold the car to had another engine installed...swapped out the HBP for a normal boost pulley (I told him to do that a LONG time ago and even gave him the pulley) and retained the supercharger setup. I guess the Innovative Motor Mounts were a little toast too....Brian said the torque side mounts had a LOT of play in them and had actually rounded/elongated out the hole in the bushing. He had a sleeve that would fit it and take up the slack...so fixed the issue I guess and make the mount even more solid in the end? Dunno.

I kept trying to talk the guy into removing everything and making the new motor completely OEM as thats probably better for him and daily use given he has limited to no knowledge of cars....but he decided to go supercharged still.

Moral of the story.....dont buy a car setup to race if you dont know anything about working on cars or how they work. And if you do...for gods sake...dont go changing the perameters of the setup that was given to you that worked.

Last edited by MichaelBenz; 05-21-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-21-2010 | 11:06 AM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Here was the setup he bought from me....

Description:

2005 WDP Acura TL, A-Spec

Engine/Drivetrain Modifications:

Unorthodox Racing Light Weight Crank Pulley
Indy Carbon Fiber Custom CF Engine Shroud
Comptech Supercharger
Comptech Polished Oil Cap
Custom Saldana Racing Aluminum Radiator and HP Fans
Custom Fabricated CAI Unit
Greddy EVO2 Stainless Steel Catback Exhaust
Innovative Motor Mounts
Outlaw Engineering Thermoblok Spacers
Richie J-Pipe
Richie Third Cat Delete
Richie Precat Delete Pipes
E-Shift Performance Hi-Flo Cats (removed/baked)
Custom Catch Can/Breather System
Optima Yellow Top Battery (removed)

Suspension Modifications:

Comptech Rear Sway Bar
A-Spec Shocks
A-Spec Springs

Wheels/Tires Modifications:

A-Spec Chrome Looks Rims 18x8 (8 each)
Kumho V-710 Slicks (Racing Tires)
Yokohama ASV100 (Summer Tires)
Michelin Alpin Sport (Snow Tires)
Blue Annodized Valve Stem Caps
Gorilla Annodized Aluminum Lugs

Interior/Exterior Modifications:

A-Spec Steering Wheel
Ultimate Aluminum Racing Pedals
Carbon Fiber Gauge Mounting Cups (2 each)
Exact Mats
Hurst Old School Shifter Knob
Shortened Door Lock Botton Mod
Switchblade Key System (2)
TL-S Headrests
A-Spec Body Kit
OEM WDP Wing Spoiler
Black Chrome Emblems
Chrome "Blown" Emblem
Shaved Doorlock Keyhole Mod
OEM Smoked Door/Window Visors
TL-S Sidemarkers (2007)
TL-S Tail Light Housings (2007)
Versus Motorsports Double Sided Carbon Fiber Hood
AEM Uego Wideband AFR Gauge
Autometer SuperSportII Manual Boost Gauge
Old 05-21-2010 | 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

that is one sick TL. How are you liking the CTS-V, are you taking that one to the track as well?
Old 05-21-2010 | 11:33 AM

That sucks, Kinda reminds me of I hate Cars post about cars that friends trash.
Old 05-21-2010 | 01:31 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Damn, sad to hear. Your car was always one of the best...very well put together/planned out. Definitely not the kind of thing you mess with unless you know what you're doing.

Because of that, I think the thread title is a little strong. The HBP was not the cause of the blown engine, at least not until the supporting set up was changed, rendering it to be too much.

Anyway, good to see you. I should call or e-mail, but I'm really bad about those sorts of things. Pop into Car Talk sometime with an update on the V (what you've done to it, how last season went, etc.).
Old 05-21-2010 | 02:05 PM
Burning Brakes

what is your friend gonna do with the left over parts?
Old 05-21-2010 | 04:07 PM
Instructor

what did you use to tune with the HBP?
Old 05-22-2010 | 04:38 PM
Drifting

he brought it to the dealer and had the spark plugs changed to oem?! lol .. thats crazy!
Old 05-22-2010 | 04:48 PM
Instructor

Tell him to sell me his Supercharger
Old 05-22-2010 | 05:22 PM
Former Whiner

Title is very misleading.
Old 05-22-2010 | 07:36 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Originally Posted by Souljah
it wasn't the hbp that did the motor in
Old 05-23-2010 | 10:52 AM
Mobbin in that NBP

What did he do with the blown motor Mike?
Old 05-23-2010 | 01:32 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Originally Posted by myron
that is one sick TL. How are you liking the CTS-V, are you taking that one to the track as well?
The cts-v has been great so far! The season just started...so no...havent had it on track just yet. Been very busy too doing local car meets, ect.

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Damn, sad to hear. Your car was always one of the best...very well put together/planned out. Definitely not the kind of thing you mess with unless you know what you're doing.

Because of that, I think the thread title is a little strong. The HBP was not the cause of the blown engine, at least not until the supporting set up was changed, rendering it to be too much.

Anyway, good to see you. I should call or e-mail, but I'm really bad about those sorts of things. Pop into Car Talk sometime with an update on the V (what you've done to it, how last season went, etc.).
Thats true...it wasnt until he started messing with the setup he had an issue. lol IMO it was two things....the change-over back to OEM exhaust catback....and the spark plugs.

Originally Posted by ionojimbo
what is your friend gonna do with the left over parts?
Dunno. I know he is trying to sell the Rotora BBK off the car as he also changed that back to OEM brakes. Dont ask. Dunno why? lol

Originally Posted by calvinnguy3n
what did you use to tune with the HBP?
Ancient chinese secret! Ole blue.

Originally Posted by bzyrice
he brought it to the dealer and had the spark plugs changed to oem?! lol .. thats crazy!
No doubt. I dont think he knew what he was doing honestly. He took it in for a service code that flashed on the dash. For the most part...you ignore those when you are this modded. He didnt/and still doesnt really understand that.

Originally Posted by D-MacTL
Tell him to sell me his Supercharger
I have another local guy asking the same. He reinstalled it on the new setup (well...Brian did it for him) with the normal boost pulley on just a more or less...basic install with just the front side exhaust mods still on the car....all the Richie stuff he left on...no cats, ect. But switched it to a normal boost and got a safe plug at the same time.

Agreed. It was HIM that blew it more or less. lol

Originally Posted by IndyBlackTL
What did he do with the blown motor Mike?
Brian sent it back to the yard as a core more or less. I think he got an engine out of a TL with 30,000 mile it and began swapping parts. I think he was out the door for around $3000 when it was over. Brian is a friend of mine and gave him a good deal.

It was over at Performance Driven LLC if you know where thats at. Near the airport.

http://www.performancedrivenllc.com/

Brian owns the shop....very good guy and highly recommend. Very knowledgeable and very fair and about the most honest guy I know.

Oh...Brian also mentioned that the plugs showed signs of HUGE detonation events. Imagine that? lol
Old 05-23-2010 | 01:38 PM
Former Whiner

Can you see if he is willing to sell the BBK to me?
Old 05-23-2010 | 01:40 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Oh...and as for what has been done to the CTS-V as of yet.

Right now its just a cold air car with a catback system. Till I upgrade the axles I dont feel real comfortable tossing much more power at it.

Here is what I am looking at...gotta eliminate that wheel hop for a good launch. Drive Shaft Shop....

1000HP Level 5 Rear axles RA5264L5 / RA5265L5
Description:The Level 5 CTS-V axles are designed to handle up to 1000HP. Using our chromoly center bars, 108mm Porsche-style CV's and bolt-on chromoly inner and outer stubs, these are a direct bolt-on that fit the stock hubs and come complete with all the necessary hardware. Not only will these axles handle the horsepower, we have used different diameter bars on each side which will eliminate wheelhop! The CTS-V is notorious for wheelhop at launch which can be extremely damaging to the drivetrain and makes getting traction very difficult. By allowing the axle bars to torsionally twist at different rates the result is traction, not wheelhop. These axles are priced as a set and have a 1-year warranty.
Product Category:2004-2006 6-Speed Manual
Price:$1699.99

At that point...its going into Mike Norris for a Maggie Supercharger setup among other things. Mike just moved from Florida to Indiana a number of months ago and is a world class LSx tuner.

http://www.mikenorrismotorsports.com/Home_Page.html

Whole thing when done should have another $10,000 tossed into it after supercharger, setup, and tune. Should put me right around $35,000 - $36,000 invested total....WAY less than what I had in the Acura and WAY faster. But I gotta admit....its not an Acura. lol I miss the Acura still.
Old 05-23-2010 | 01:45 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Can you see if he is willing to sell the BBK to me?
I will ask him. I know he was PMing me about selling it for him. I will tell you up front...you are going to have to buy ONE front rotor for it. He cracked one...and rather than buy a new rotor...he bought the OEM setup from me and replaced it ALL. So there is a good BBK with one bad rotor just sitting in boxes now.

I will find out what he wants for it and let you know or list it here in the classifieds as it should be.
Old 05-23-2010 | 02:05 PM
Former Whiner

Sounds good.
Was it the 1-piece or 2-piece setup you had?
Old 05-23-2010 | 05:50 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Sounds good.
Was it the 1-piece or 2-piece setup you had?
2 pc. rotors.
Old 05-23-2010 | 06:55 PM
Former Whiner

Red calipers?
If so, you're playing with my heart...
Old 05-23-2010 | 09:51 PM
Team Owner

It's unfortunate that he blew the engine. I know he changed the plugs and exhaust but IMO, you were playing with fire the whole time. Auto-x with short bursts is perfectly fine. Where the trouble happens is running it hard in the upper gears where load is the highest and detonation is most likely. If he only would've had a methanol kit it would have lived even with the OEM exhaust and plugs.

About the BBK, are these the 2pc 13" Rotoras? What about the rears?
Old 05-23-2010 | 10:19 PM
Former Sponsor

3 grand? Jesus. For 4,200 he could have gotten a 3.6 ltr dropped engine from paul and be N/A, sell the s/c and basically have the same set up hp wise but NA and 0$.
Old 05-23-2010 | 10:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AckTL05
3 grand? Jesus. For 4,200 he could have gotten a 3.6 ltr dropped engine from paul and be N/A, sell the s/c and basically have the same set up hp wise but NA and 0$.

Yes, but the supercharged engine is going to offer a superior powerband or area under the curve.
Old 05-23-2010 | 11:00 PM
All motor

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Yes, but the supercharged engine is going to offer a superior powerband or area under the curve.
You think so? I'd think the 3.6L would have better power under the curve. NA with the 3.6 he probably could've made 320-330whp and 300wtq. With the higher displacement I'd think he'd have more torque in the lower RPMs, hell, all over the RPM band.
Old 05-23-2010 | 11:13 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sonnick
You think so? I'd think the 3.6L would have better power under the curve. NA with the 3.6 he probably could've made 320-330whp and 300wtq. With the higher displacement I'd think he'd have more torque in the lower RPMs, hell, all over the RPM band.
He will definately gain hp everywhere with the larger engine and I prefer this route to crazy cams and super flowing heads..

But you have to think of boost as the equivilent of a larger engine. You're flowing 20-50% more air through the engine at every rpm. At 7.5psi the 3.2L is acting as if it were a 4.8L. At 14.7psi it's acting as if it were a 6.4L.
Old 05-24-2010 | 10:56 AM
All motor

He will definately gain hp everywhere with the larger engine and I prefer this route to crazy cams and super flowing heads..

But you have to think of boost as the equivilent of a larger engine. You're flowing 20-50% more air through the engine at every rpm. At 7.5psi the 3.2L is acting as if it were a 4.8L. At 14.7psi it's acting as if it were a 6.4L.
Point taken.
Old 05-24-2010 | 01:23 PM
Burning Brakes

It's unfortunate that he blew the engine. I know he changed the plugs and exhaust but IMO, you were playing with fire the whole time. Auto-x with short bursts is perfectly fine. Where the trouble happens is running it hard in the upper gears where load is the highest and detonation is most likely. If he only would've had a methanol kit it would have lived even with the OEM exhaust and plugs.
Bingo. Add forced induction to an NA motor and you're walking on egg shells. NA motors are made to rev and use lighter, less robust pistons, rings, cranks, blocks, etc, etc. Secondly, how would running the OEM exhaust raise boost pressure or back pressure "in the motor". The engine is a pump, regardless if it's NA or SC/turboed. If the exhaust is restrictive, the engine can technically only ingest what it puts out.
Old 05-24-2010 | 02:14 PM
Team Owner

Too much backpressure in the exhaust leaves more cylinder pressure after the exhaust event. The intake valve opens to a higher cylinder pressure on the intake stroke, increasing "restriction" and increasing boost. It sounds crazy but it's true.
Old 05-28-2010 | 09:17 PM
Former Whyner

And where is this said HBP....I would like get that from your or the owner.
Old 05-29-2010 | 02:41 AM
Former Whiner

Uh oh... someone already wants more boost.