BEST EXHAUST SYSTEM..RV6 True Dual, ATLP, XLR8, OR GREDDY EVO 2

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:35 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts

u guys are messed up LOL..... @ susan boyle....

i think if you get an exhaust from greddy/vendors and from a local performance shop the quality is gonna be the same....its the same t301 ss with mandrel bends....the only difference would be how you like it.....so its like getting onion rings substituted for fries.....and it would be cheaper !!!

dont forget ATLP and XLR8 get their exhaust made by Stromung and Billy Boat respectively....what do you think those guys are ? performance shops ?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
Xlr8 ftw!!
Old 08-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by swoosh

u guys are messed up LOL..... @ susan boyle....

i think if you get an exhaust from greddy/vendors and from a local performance shop the quality is gonna be the same....its the same t301 ss with mandrel bends....the only difference would be how you like it.....so its like getting onion rings substituted for fries.....and it would be cheaper !!!

dont forget ATLP and XLR8 get their exhaust made by Stromung and Billy Boat respectively....what do you think those guys are ? performance shops ?
Actually not everyone uses the same material. T304 made in the US is different from T304 from overseas. We use T304 Stainless Steel made in the US throughout the entire system. ATLP uses 439 tubing. Both ATLP and XLR8 exhaust systems are made with mandrel bent piping; most muffler shops use crush bent piping. And the quality of the welds varies from place to place also.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts
^ yes quality of build from xlr8/billy boat is top notch if anyone needs pics or close ups let me know and ill post them.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts

If that's the case, why aren't these shops you're going to building ATLP or XLR8's exhaust?

Oh that's right, because it comes down to the quality of the finished product & apparently, your shop didn't make the cut like BillyBoat & Stromung did to be chosen as the supplier.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Excelerate
Actually not everyone uses the same material. T304 made in the US is different from T304 from overseas. We use T304 Stainless Steel made in the US throughout the entire system. ATLP uses 439 tubing. Both ATLP and XLR8 exhaust systems are made with mandrel bent piping; most muffler shops use crush bent piping. And the quality of the welds varies from place to place also.
This is very important to consider. Although I have the very first release of the resonated cat-back (drones a bit), ANYONE who has been under my car always says the exhaust is top notch. If the new one eliminates the slight drone, even better! So XLR8 is my opinion.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Drifting

^ it does i had experienced both old version and new version of XLR8... my car is mean souding when WOT and quite as can be in cabin i can see if i can take any in cabin videos later.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:36 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Opinion would certainly be biased as someone stated earlier. I have had Comptech in the past but it was too quiet for my taste hence I switched over to ATLP Base and I couldnt be any happier with the switch.

Here is how it sounds after 20k (14 months) worth of use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2St3...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBjA6...eature=related
Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ lol what kinda air filter u got i heard that suction noice at the end of the 1st clip
Old 08-08-2010, 01:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Tmarks91
^ lol what kinda air filter u got i heard that suction noice at the end of the 1st clip
I'm gonna go ahead and say V2 since my car does the same thing.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't all aftermarket do the suction?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Excelerate
Most people are going to recommend the system they have on their car.

In response to the post about resonators being welded into one of our systems:

1. There are 2 ways to order our exhaust: non-resonated or resonated.
2. Our systems now incorporate a Purge Resonance Technology which significantly reduced drone in our exhausts while maintaining that deep throaty note.
Originally Posted by murph145
XLR8 cat back exhaust on my 07 TL-S mean sound and NOOO drone the new purge technology is great i experienced older version had lots of drone this one really has about zero quite when crusing and loud as hell when WOT... great quality build and customer service.
I have the resonated quads with the new tech, and I ordered it with the intent of having a suttle tone under cruise, light throttle, and a roar under WOT....This exhaust delivers on both ends...I have ZERO regret buying it, worth every penny...I can use my handsfree link and no one knows I have an exhaust on my car...Perfect IMO

If you choose to go with an aftermarket J-pipe, this exhaust gets super aggressive sounding and STILL maintains a quiet cabin under cruise...
Old 08-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Souljah
Don't all aftermarket do the suction?
Not sure. I usually only hear about the V2 doing it on ours cars along with the whistle in low RPMs.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
I think the best exhaust is the new RV-6 "true dual" when paired with their new j-pipe. I have the GReddy and I love the sound of it, and I am very happy with it. The only other exhaust I would consider getting is the RV-6 one. The ATLP and XLR8 are also really nice, and I can't see a reason not to get them. Although I'm limited knowledge wise regarding the Comptech, I don't understand why anyone would get it. What are its gains? I feel the ATLP or XLR8 would be a better use of money, and the XLR8 is the cheapest of all.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Drifting

not sure why they call it a true dual its not i mean you can easily see it joins together at the J-Pipe connection on there pictures.... also has anyone noticed they have taken away the catelitic converters im not sure about everyone else but out here in cali we cant run cars without one.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
The only cat that was removed is the useless 3rd cat. You can easily pass the sniffer test and unless they look at a diagram of your cars cat system they wount notice the removed 3rd cat. And it really isn't a true dual exhaust.

The best exhaust is a custom 2.5in. true dual with mandrel bends and cans/tips you like. Add RV6 upcoming HFCs and it will be perfect.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Drifting

yea in cali they know when u remove a cat you wont pass here we have the most stringent regulations in the country so you would have to put your stock exhaust back on when you go get it smogged
Old 08-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Suzuka Master

yea in cali they know when u remove a cat you wont pass here we have the most stringent regulations in the country so you would have to put your stock exhaust back on when you go get it smogged
I feel for you guys with turbos.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't most "true duals" have a crossover (x pipe)? I've already cars claiming to have a dual setup but most of the time they have an x pipe, is the x pipe starting to become part of the "true dual" setup? I heard it promote scavenging? whatever that means.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
If that's the case, why aren't these shops you're going to building ATLP or XLR8's exhaust?

Oh that's right, because it comes down to the quality of the finished product & apparently, your shop didn't make the cut like BillyBoat & Stromung did to be chosen as the supplier.
coz this guy makes only Mustang exhaust....dont have many suppliers here in the midwest....and rick dude no offense but everyone is just voicing their opinion and learning out of it....you seem to have some personal grudge....

my point was, for a full exhaust, precats to tips from any supplier, you will be spending ~2K and then if you dont like the sound you add a resonator or some like that.....where as a reputed performance shop would do in less that 1K....reason being:

1> no shipping cost
2> no overheads
3> custom fit/sound
4> single exhaust is being sold....lower profit margins

heck the performance shop i went too told me he will give me 3 free dyno runs !!!

now the only bad thing is....i have been waiting since 2+ months....all i have is tips that also sitting in my garage
Old 08-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Pro

The problem is it is not really an Xpipe...when I build my exhaust I'll use an Hpipe.
Originally Posted by Bayam0n
Don't most "true duals" have a crossover (x pipe)? I've already cars claiming to have a dual setup but most of the time they have an x pipe, is the x pipe starting to become part of the "true dual" setup? I heard it promote scavenging? whatever that means.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:47 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone ran Stage 3 before buying a real exhaust system?
Old 08-09-2010, 01:55 PM
.:dedicated:.

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
im sure most people started off with stage 3 then upgraded when they had more money... i know thats what i did at least
Old 08-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Veni, vidi, vici

Originally Posted by odehboy
has anyone ran Stage 3 before buying a real exhaust system?

not me, i'm going str8 to the new exhaust system.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:43 PM
Drifting

^ i went straight to aftermarket exhaust too
Old 08-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

coz this guy makes only Mustang exhaust....dont have many suppliers here in the midwest....and rick dude no offense but everyone is just voicing their opinion and learning out of it....you seem to have some personal grudge....
What opinion are you voicing besides that against GReddy (which was quite funny in all seriousness as I don't own that exhaust)?

Or is it the one about how your custom, full exhaust for $900 is so much better because buying a built one is an "easy way" out?

Or perhaps it's the one where you think that a shop who builds a custom exhaust is going to be of the same quality as ATLP, or XLR8, but for so much less.

I have no grudge, but your view is very jaded. If you want a custom exhaust for $500, go for it. But there'll be a reason it's $500 & why a full one from a vendor here is $1,000. And if we want to spend that money on a guaranteed well made part, then so be it.
my point was, for a full exhaust, precats to tips from any supplier, you will be spending ~2K and then if you dont like the sound you add a resonator or some like that.....where as a reputed performance shop would do in less that 1K....reason being:

1> no shipping cost
2> no overheads
3> custom fit/sound
4> single exhaust is being sold....lower profit margins
Except the performance shop is 99% of the time, not building your exhaust to the same quality as Billy Boat/Stromung.

When it comes to a car's performance, you really can not dish out $500 & believe it will be to the same level a $1,200 mod is.

Again, no grudge here. Some people want to buy the nicer things & some want to spend a little less. But don't sit there and act as if you're getting the same thing or that you don't need to buy the more expensive stuff.

Personally, the extra $1K I'm spending in proven results is worth the money & I prefer not to cut corners in trying to gain performance.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:23 PM

What opinion are you voicing besides that against GReddy (which was quite funny in all seriousness as I don't own that exhaust)?

Or is it the one about how your custom, full exhaust for $900 is so much better because buying a built one is an "easy way" out?

Or perhaps it's the one where you think that a shop who builds a custom exhaust is going to be of the same quality as ATLP, or XLR8, but for so much less.

I have no grudge, but your view is very jaded. If you want a custom exhaust for $500, go for it. But there'll be a reason it's $500 & why a full one from a vendor here is $1,000. And if we want to spend that money on a guaranteed well made part, then so be it.
Except the performance shop is 99% of the time, not building your exhaust to the same quality as Billy Boat/Stromung.

When it comes to a car's performance, you really can not dish out $500 & believe it will be to the same level a $1,200 mod is.

Again, no grudge here. Some people want to buy the nicer things & some want to spend a little less. But don't sit there and act as if you're getting the same thing or that you don't need to buy the more expensive stuff.

Personally, the extra $1K I'm spending in proven results is worth the money & I prefer not to cut corners in trying to gain performance.
Dude honestly you sound like a victim.....and I dont blame you for the slightest....in my case you are going on and on about quality/performance without even knowing what shop/etc am getting the exhaust from....its like the difference between buying from a retailer versus buying the same stuff from the wholesaler....there is a huge cost difference....and again am spending close to 1200 for my exhaust (precats $300 + exhaust $900) and you spend that for just a catback....now again you would go on with the quality/performance....think about it this way....maybe you do get quality and everything for $900 and you just overpaid

am not gonna talk about this anymore....i was just laying down options for the OP and we started talking about it....lets agree to disagree...you paid $$$$ for a high quality exhaust....am paying $$ for a high quality custom exhaust....thats it....
Old 08-10-2010, 06:34 AM
Veni, vidi, vici

Originally Posted by JnC
Opinion would certainly be biased as someone stated earlier. I have had Comptech in the past but it was too quiet for my taste hence I switched over to ATLP Base and I couldnt be any happier with the switch.

Here is how it sounds after 20k (14 months) worth of use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2St3...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBjA6...eature=related
Sounds badass
Old 08-10-2010, 06:48 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
^^ Let me know once you get your exhaust, may be we can make rolling HD videos of yours on I-95
Old 08-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Dude honestly you sound like a victim.....and I dont blame you for the slightest....in my case you are going on and on about quality/performance without even knowing what shop/etc am getting the exhaust from....its like the difference between buying from a retailer versus buying the same stuff from the wholesaler....there is a huge cost difference....and again am spending close to 1200 for my exhaust (precats $300 + exhaust $900) and you spend that for just a catback....now again you would go on with the quality/performance....think about it this way....maybe you do get quality and everything for $900 and you just overpaid
By that logic, everyone who has ever bought from ATLP, XLR8, & the upcoming RV6 exhaust are all over paying. Oh wise master, please show us what we're doing wrong.

Sorry, as said, there's a reason we buy these exhausts & not custom exhausts. The only thing is you actually thinking a custom exhaust will always do the same job as the vendors because they're "both performance shops".

Like I said before, if you want to spend less, go for it. But don't act all high & mighty just because you didn't go "the easy way out" with your exhaust.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Drifting

^^ I would have to agree I think my XLR8 exhaust looks much better than anything some one could fabricate at a shop for the price... welds are all perfect on the muffler its all chromed with tips that fit the S Type perfectly... to each there own but i wanted the top quality associated with a manufacturer that specializes in making exhaust for our cars
Old 08-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I would have to agree I think my XLR8 exhaust looks much better than anything some one could fabricate at a shop for the price... welds are all perfect on the muffler its all chromed with tips that fit the S Type perfectly... to each there own but i wanted the top quality associated with a manufacturer that specializes in making exhaust for our cars
BTW, love the wheels on yours.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Pro

Honestly anyone who buys an exhaust from one of the vendors is overpaying. Seriously I don't need to explain myself but ask anyone who knows about cars and they'll tell you they'd never pay that much for exhaust parts. I can EASILY get a better quality exhaust with much better gains that looks nicer for MUCH less than a $1200 ATLP Quad exhaust.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Drifting

^ is your exhaust custom because your running magnaflow mufflers what about the other ATLP parts your running??
Old 08-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Drifting

BTW, love the wheels on yours.
Thanks
Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Pro

Right now I just have the ATLP j/race pipe with a stock exhaust with magnaflows and a removed midmuffler. Give me a few months and I'll have a custom true dual mandrel bent 2.5in all the way back. 2.5in is a little big for N/A but with stock cats it'll be fine. Then I'll get PCDs or HFCs before I get the SC and that'll be good sized piping for the SC.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the rv6 jpipe and precat deletes on my 07 type s and i love the performance gains i got off of the pcd's but it sounds verrrry raspy before vtec, wat do you guys reccomend doing?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AtlM5
Honestly anyone who buys an exhaust from one of the vendors is overpaying. Seriously I don't need to explain myself but ask anyone who knows about cars and they'll tell you they'd never pay that much for exhaust parts. I can EASILY get a better quality exhaust with much better gains that looks nicer for MUCH less than a $1200 ATLP Quad exhaust.
Then they're not car guys.

Mugen exhaust for S2000: $1,600 starting.
Spoon exhaust for S2000: $1,000 starting.
Nismo exhaust for 350Z: $1,300.
Blitz exhaust for 350Z: $1,300+.
5Zigen exhaust for MS3: $1,100.
5Zigen exhaust for 370Z: $1,600+.
5Zigen exhaust for STi: $900+.
The list goes on for so many others. The biggest gains matched with the best quality comes at a big price aka Cheap, Fast, Reliable.

Make sure whoever you're talking to doesn't buy any car above these then b/c it only goes up from here.

As for your claim, hard to take you seriously when you want to Supercharge afterwards, 1 mod for this car that is more overpriced than anything for the gains you get.

Last edited by Rick_TL-S; 08-10-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Pro

These are all brand name exhausts and will all give equal gains as a custom mandrel bent exhaust. I really don't see your point here. If you have seen some of the work talented exhaust fab guys do you would understand. You just have to find a good one and your money couldn't be better spent.

And the least expensive, most streetable way to make big power from a jseries engine is FI. I can find a CT kit for under $2K plus meth, AEM Fic, spark plugs, injectors, tune, and a few other things and ill still be well under $5k making maybe 350 to the wheels. I really don't want any more power to the front wheels so I will really be working on the reliability of the engine from there. Much later on I may try something else with the car...
Old 08-10-2010, 11:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AtlM5
These are all brand name exhausts and will all give equal gains as a custom mandrel bent exhaust. I really don't see your point here. If you have seen some of the work talented exhaust fab guys do you would understand. You just have to find a good one and your money couldn't be better spent.
My point is that whoever you're talking to is obviously not driving anything above a Civic if he thinks $1,000+ is too much. That's the average price in this industry & can't be gotten around.

As for the exhausts, sorry, you'll be hard pressed to get a custom exhaust above what these guys are getting, esp. Spoon/Mugen who dump thousands of dollars into developing Honda exhausts for maximum performance & quality.

If you want a custom exhaust, go for it. Just don't start posting things like, "I can beat quality & gains for half the price". $20 says you don't b/c it's been tried & done by this point in the 3G's life.

And the least expensive, most streetable way to make big power from a jseries engine is FI. I can find a CT kit for under $2K plus meth, AEM Fic, spark plugs, injectors, tune, and a few other things and ill still be well under $5k making maybe 350 to the wheels. I really don't want any more power to the front wheels so I will really be working on the reliability of the engine from there. Much later on I may try something else with the car...
The money you'll be spending on that S/C setup is not worth the gains. $3,000+ for another 100whp is overpriced at its most.

The turbo kit is a little more, but capable of 450whp+.

Quick Reply: BEST EXHAUST SYSTEM..RV6 True Dual, ATLP, XLR8, OR GREDDY EVO 2