Best bang for buck intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Best bang for buck intake

Hey guys,

Im looking to accumulate some mods over this winter so now just trying to be pro-active on some parts....wondering whats the best bang for the buck intake..i did a search on youtube but you know those videos is hard to really hear the sound

i want something with a aggressive sound at woot as well as power of course..

any members here have any recommendations?

can i also have some ideas on coilovers too while im at it? minus the sound of course!!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 766 Likes on 551 Posts
LMAO.

The words "Best Bang for the buck" and "Intake" DO NOT belong in the same sentence. That being said, there's no such thing.

Cold air intake is the worst bang for the buck. All intakes are the same, just different brand stickers slapped on it. They all do the same thing and perform the same. No difference from brand A and brand B.

If you want the best bang for your buck I suggest you getting a J-Pipe w/ a built in 3rd-cat delete. Runs for about $450 and you will notice the power difference right after installation. Low end RPM will feel more torque.

Or you can get Pre-Cat Deletes which run for $500-$600 and will also yield noticeable gains.

With ANY Cold Air Intake, you would be lucky if you gained 2HP.

With J-Pipe w/ built in 3rd cat delete you will gain 7-15HP. With Pre-Cat Deletes you will also gain about the same as the j-pipe, if not more.

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 12-03-2011 at 03:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Joneill44 (12-04-2011)
Old 12-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
LMAO.

The words "Best Bang for the buck" and "Intake" DO NOT belong in the same sentence. That being said, there's no such thing.

Cold air intake is the worst bang for the buck. All intakes are the same, just different brand stickers slapped on it. They all do the same thing and perform the same. No difference from brand A and brand B.

If you want the best bang for your buck I suggest you getting a J-Pipe w/ a built in 3rd-cat delete. Runs for about $450 and you will notice the power difference right after installation. Low end RPM will feel more torque.

Or you can get Pre-Cat Deletes which run for $500-$600 and will also yield noticeable gains.

With ANY Cold Air Intake, you would be lucky if you gained 2HP.

With J-Pipe w/ built in 3rd cat delete you will gain 7-15HP. With Pre-Cat Deletes you will also gain about the same as the j-pipe, if not more.
Thanks for your info...
Im new to the TL, can i ask are you running a intake?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by imports4me
Thanks for your info...
Im new to the TL, can i ask are you running a intake?
Yup I'm running a Injen Cold air Intake that I purchased used here on the black market for $170.

Since your new, here's the black market area

https://acurazine.com/forums/marketp...ch/order-desc/

The black market is a place that acurazine members go to sell NEW or USED parts for their cars. Sometimes you'll be able to find some killer deals.

I first purchased my TL back in January and after doing some reading alot of people say the cold air intake has very little to no benefits in terms of power. The stock intake is very good as it is. So I told myself I wasn't going to spend $250-$300 on a intake.

Than one day I found someone selling a used cold air intake for pretty cheap (so I thought). I quickly changed my mind and decided to buy it. After installing it I noticed NOTHING but a nice sound when stepping on the gas.

Now that I look back, I pretty much wasted $170 on a mod that doesn't benefit my car in terms of power or fuel efficiency....

That $170 was solely for 'sound'. I wish I could get my $170 back..
Old 12-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
The best band for buck intake were the Beatles. Put some Beatles in your engine for maximum horsepowa!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Instructor

Yup I'm running a Injen Cold air Intake that I purchased used here on the black market for $170.

The black market is a place that acurazine members go to sell NEW or USED parts for their cars. Sometimes you'll be able to find some killer deals.

I first purchased my TL back in January and after doing some reading alot of people say the cold air intake has very little to no benefits in terms of power. The stock intake is very good as it is. So I told myself I wasn't going to spend $250-$300 on a intake.

Than one day I found someone selling a used cold air intake for pretty cheap (so I thought). I quickly changed my mind and decided to buy it. After installing it I noticed NOTHING but a nice sound when stepping on the gas.

Now that I look back, I pretty much wasted $170 on a mod that doesn't benefit my car in terms of power or fuel efficiency....

i might of started this thread wrong, i guess what im asking is what intake provides the most aggressive sound. i already know intakes dont offer that much horses maybe 1-2 between the different labels at most...

anyways, thanks.......glad to hear you got a intake too!!
Old 12-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by imports4me
i might of started this thread wrong, i guess what im asking is what intake provides the most aggressive sound. i already know intakes dont offer that much horses maybe 1-2 between the different labels at most...

anyways, thanks.......glad to hear you got a intake too!!
Oh lol. Ummm sound-wise I would also assume all intakes sound alike in some way. It's not like when you hear someone getting on the pedal you will be able to identify which cold air intake they have just by simply hearing it...

If it's sound that you're after and you don't want to spend $200+ on a cold air intake than I would recommend you a DC Sports Cold Air Intake!

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=sports+intake

That thread will provide you with a link to the intake so you can check it out for yourself.

That thread also has over 5 pages of useful information and several youtube sound clip videos from acurazine members who also purchased and installed it. There were atleast 10+ people who purchased that same DC Sports intake.

Overall, everyone in that thread was satisfied with the intake. Go through it and take a look for yourself!

Trending Topics

Old 12-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Banned

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts
AEMs to me have the best sound... If you plan on having your car for a while, its worth the money.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:16 PM

I say don't buy an intake and just save money and get the RV6 V3 J-pipe. Slightly more aggressive sound and 10x more HP gained than the CAI.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
Take out the stock tubing on the intake. Slight sound increase under wot and best of all, it's free.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Best bang for the buck means PCD's or Jpipe, but intakes are a waste of money.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts

Did you honestly expect to feel a few hp difference on a 3500 lb car? People love to bash intakes because they can't "feel" a difference, but there are before/after dynos that show an improvement on these cars in particular. If one decides to stay N/A on these cars, aside from the primary cats, these cars will cost ~$100 per horsepower.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:01 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Did you honestly expect to feel a few hp difference on a 3500 lb car? People love to bash intakes because they can't "feel" a difference, but there are before/after dynos that show an improvement on these cars in particular. If one decides to stay N/A on these cars, aside from the primary cats, these cars will cost ~$100 per horsepower.
OK? A J-Pipe is $450. You say $100/per HP so the Jpipe should only yield 4.5-5HP tops. Wrong.

$250 for a CAI to only gain 2.5-3HP tops? You call that best bang for your buck?
Old 12-04-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Most of the dynos you see, aren't showing just the CAI gains.
The only one dyno chart that has the gains says it made over 15WHP, when it is not corrected and the dyno looks like it has been fixed. You gain a minimal amount of HP with the CAI. They're so many factors when it comes to a dyno. That is why the 'butt dyno' and the 1/4 is the best way to figure out how 'fast' your car is.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
OK? A J-Pipe is $450. You say $100/per HP so the Jpipe should only yield 4.5-5HP tops. Wrong.

$250 for a CAI to only gain 2.5-3HP tops? You call that best bang for your buck?
Where did I call an intake "the best bang for the buck"?

And as far as me saying "these cars will cost ~ (that means roughly) $100 per hp", I was speaking in overall terms of total money spent on complete bolt ons. A j pipe is likely the second best return on your money after pcd's.

It doesn't really matter anyway, since 95% of this forum is based on hearsay and opinion. People read others' opinions on something, and then regurgitate it as gospel. Some say intakes don't do anything but make noise on these cars, yet I have yet to see a single fact that supports that opinion.

Again, you're not going to feel anything under 10-12 hp on a 3500 lb car, and even that's questionable.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:19 PM
B A N N E D

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Intakes aren't just for performance purposes. Dropping 10lbs off the front end of your car marginally in front of your front wheels is actually doing more good than you think. Better air flow, better sound, slight OVERALL gains, and a nice look in your engine bay is worth the $200 imo.

You guys need to stop measuring things by horsies. They're not the only deciding factor. Especially when you only compare PEAK hp.

Everyone starts somewhere, stop bashing the guy's interest. He asked for best bang for buck INTAKE, not please school me on what is the best mod to get. Give him a break.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts

Best bang for buck
Old 12-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts
^ best bang for the buck for off-road use only!
Old 12-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by pohljm
^ best bang for the buck for off-road use only!
That being said, Cali and NY are my biggest buyers of PCDs. People must be doing lots of off road driving.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by phatrick
Intakes aren't just for performance purposes. Dropping 10lbs off the front end of your car marginally in front of your front wheels is actually doing more good than you think. Better air flow, better sound, slight OVERALL gains, and a nice look in your engine bay is worth the $200 imo.

You guys need to stop measuring things by horsies. They're not the only deciding factor. Especially when you only compare PEAK hp.

Everyone starts somewhere, stop bashing the guy's interest. He asked for best bang for buck INTAKE, not please school me on what is the best mod to get. Give him a break.
Hypocritical statement?

Very low increase of 'air flow'.

He's new. He is like everyone else that think CAI = 1000 HP. We're educating him before he comes back and says that we didn't tell him. HP/TQ should be the factor 99% of the time. People that get a suspension for only the look are dumb and should never come back to AZ.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:55 PM
B A N N E D

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Hypocritical statement?

Very low increase of 'air flow'.

He's new. He is like everyone else that think CAI = 1000 HP. We're educating him before he comes back and says that we didn't tell him. HP/TQ should be the factor 99% of the time. People that get a suspension for only the look are dumb and should never come back to AZ.
In case you didn't notice. There's a period in between. It's separating two statements. You should know what a period does right?

Where's your source in proving the air flow is not better? You honestly can say that the stock airbox has nearly as good airflow than a straight pipe with a paper filter at the end? Have you seen the non-resonated air flow system? It's not pretty.

I don't think he asked for a lecture so you don't need to be "educating" him.

Btw to me,

"i might of started this thread wrong, i guess what im asking is what intake provides the most aggressive sound. i already know intakes dont offer that much horses maybe 1-2 between the different labels at most..."

That doesn't sound like he's one of the people that think CAIs give retarded gains.

/end rant.

Last edited by phatrick; 12-04-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Richie v6
That being said, Cali and NY are my biggest buyers of PCDs. People must be doing lots of off road driving.
I just bought the HFPC from you. I am thinking of taking this through the woods!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by phatrick
In case you didn't notice. There's a period in between. It's separating two statements. You should know what a period does right?

Where's your source in proving the air flow is not better? You honestly can say that the stock airbox has nearly as good airflow than a straight pipe with a paper filter at the end? Have you seen the non-resonated air flow system? It's not pretty.

I don't think he asked for a lecture so you don't need to be "educating" him.

Btw to me,

"i might of started this thread wrong, i guess what im asking is what intake provides the most aggressive sound. i already know intakes dont offer that much horses maybe 1-2 between the different labels at most..."

That doesn't sound like he's one of the people that think CAIs give retarded gains.

/end rant.
In case you didn't notice, you should of added a comma.
In case you didn't notice, it is in the same paragraph.
In case you didn't notice, your first sentence generalizes the rest of your paragraph (similar to a thesis YO).

I never said the air flow wasn't better. I was stating that the difference is very minimal. To waste $200-300 for a intake that gains only 2-4HP is stupid.

You don't know if he needs information regarding it. He made a thread, and I assumed he needs help regarding performance mods in general. I'd rather help a member out by telling him that he is wasting his money, than not tell him and waste his money.

Last edited by TheChamp531; 12-05-2011 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Instructor

hey guys thanks for your info...
i just got this car a few days ago and about to hit winter here in wisconsin. i didn't plan on modding this but i think the mod bug is hitting me yet again....i will be adding a full exhaust and it seems that i have narrowed down Richies RV6....i think i saw that he is about an hour from me....im just looking to collect all the little add on's and then make the exhaust purchase/rims and coils come spring....

For the intakes......any thoughts on the CAI vs SAI for our cars?

just to clarify what i meant by "best bang for buck" is that even though most of the add on's for our car or any car are pretty much the same. some are
Old 12-05-2011, 12:47 PM

^the CAI is really all for sound. If you want sound and maybe 1-4HP, than get it. SAI will actually make you lose HP. Get the CAI. Many users love the AEM V2.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Everyone bashes CAI but it's seems everyone has one. It's worth the money as a first mod. Next step jpipe. Heard nothing but great reviews.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
just remove the silencer from the stock intake tube and youre all set
Old 03-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Just curious.. Not to thread jack

What about buying a knock off intake?

I've had a intake in my eBay account for 2months .. Injen styled intake .. Will installing it cause a CEL? Does it even matter if the CEL goes on I'll just delete the code

I always see threads about name brand intakes but what about knock off ones .. There like 100 dollars they do the same shit so how does one piping prevent a CEL that the other name brand wouldn't .. Heres the one I'm speaking about

http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-11-ACCORD...#ht_6937wt_932
Old 03-12-2012, 02:09 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the best bang for your buck!! All you need is to trim your front of battery snorkel up tube from your factory intake tubing and dig up an old K&N filter somewhere.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Caschemunny
Here is the best bang for your buck!! All you need is to trim your front of battery snorkel up tube from your factory intake tubing and dig up an old K&N filter somewhere.

This is a hai instead of a cai.... will prob loose power from stock here but will give you the sound
Old 03-12-2012, 02:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by corcraft
This is a hai instead of a cai.... will prob loose power from stock here but will give you the sound
Totally agree.

How's that '05 MT holding up?
Old 03-12-2012, 02:50 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese
Just curious.. Not to thread jack

What about buying a knock off intake?

I've had a intake in my eBay account for 2months .. Injen styled intake .. Will installing it cause a CEL? Does it even matter if the CEL goes on I'll just delete the code

I always see threads about name brand intakes but what about knock off ones .. There like 100 dollars they do the same shit so how does one piping prevent a CEL that the other name brand wouldn't .. Heres the one I'm speaking about

http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-11-ACCORD...#ht_6937wt_932
no CEL will pop up, as there are no sensors on the intake. metal tube and a dryflow filter are all you need. no real reason to spend $250 on a name brand.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:57 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
bro that is sooo wrong....where is your filter sucking the air from ??? damn
Old 03-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
Totally agree.

How's that '05 MT holding up?

Like a dream man! 233k on her now. Just starting the perf mods..... Can't believe how much power she's still got after walking all of those miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by corcraft:
Bearcat94 (03-12-2012), CLtotheTL32 (03-12-2012)
Old 03-12-2012, 04:57 PM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Its a tube with two holes for vac lines, a mount bracket, and a filter...
As long as these bases are covered u can spend whatever you want
Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Cruisin'

My friends, my friends!! My short ram intake is a dreamers dream of an intake. I have a snorkel tube I fabricated that pours in cold air from the front bumper vent which I also modified. Any speed over 5 mph and this short ram has all the cold air it needs. Holy hell. I'm probably suckin 10% warm air and 90% cold. Sounds like a beast and its free, pimps!!! Ba ba ba baaa ba... I'm lovin it!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:26 AM
1st 3g Turbo TL-S

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
My friends, my friends!! My short ram intake is a dreamers dream of an intake. I have a snorkel tube I fabricated that pours in cold air from the front bumper vent which I also modified. Any speed over 5 mph and this short ram has all the cold air it needs. Holy hell. I'm probably suckin 10% warm air and 90% cold. Sounds like a beast and its free, pimps!!! Ba ba ba baaa ba... I'm lovin it!!!
Have you dyno'd the car to see if you are actually making gains? Have you flow tested the air coming in to see if any of the "cold" air coming in isn't being forced out buy the hot air in the cabin pushing it out from the pressure in the engine bay?

I'm think in no...
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Cruisin'

Hey xiomaro. Suck on this!!! Modified and you could only dream to spend $0 dollars and 0 cents baby!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Cruisin'

^^ all built from the stock air tubing son. Little bit of thermal heat duct metal tape painted black.... SNAP!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts

Quick Reply: Best bang for buck intake