attention all catback ppl

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 PM
JDM ... NOT !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
attention all catback ppl

Ok so I got a J PIPE N CATBACK QUAD FROM XLR8 and sometimes when i downshift while the rpm is dropping the exhaust pops a little like baby pops like how srt 4s sound. Does this happen to everbody with catbacks exhausts for there 3gs like i mean they are some sexi pops sound like flames or soemthing nothing to loud no gunshot noises just rumbling pops i cant realy explain thm ill try to shoot a video n post but they sound amazing now i do have my stock 3rd cat between the j pipe n exhaust but jus curious is this normal? ALso i did not disconnect my battery after the install and I have this feelin that if i do these pops will dissappear lol i know kind of stupid eh bt what can i say this is my first exhaust so n e body wana pitch in some tips or advce or info or anything
Old 05-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I guess i would have to hear the Pop. I have a similiar setup but i dont believe it pops, u can watch my videos on youtube (link in my sig) and lemme know if it sounds something like that.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Gary TL S
Ok so I got a J PIPE N CATBACK QUAD FROM XLR8 and sometimes when i downshift while the rpm is dropping the exhaust pops a little like baby pops like how srt 4s sound. Does this happen to everbody with catbacks exhausts for there 3gs like i mean they are some sexi pops sound like flames or soemthing nothing to loud no gunshot noises just rumbling pops i cant realy explain thm ill try to shoot a video n post but they sound amazing now i do have my stock 3rd cat between the j pipe n exhaust but jus curious is this normal? ALso i did not disconnect my battery after the install and I have this feelin that if i do these pops will dissappear lol i know kind of stupid eh bt what can i say this is my first exhaust so n e body wana pitch in some tips or advce or info or anything
What a disappointment. Thanks for sharing this lessons learned with potential future buyers.

I am beginning to loose respect for some of the aftermarket products that people push with no design and process validation. It seems you guys are the guinea pigs to prove out designs in the field. They should compensate you.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:40 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
what the fuck did you just say?
Old 05-03-2009, 05:58 PM
MY KBP IS BTR THN URS...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura Jeff
What a disappointment. Thanks for sharing this lessons learned with potential future buyers.

I am beginning to loose respect for some of the aftermarket products that people push with no design and process validation. It seems you guys are the guinea pigs to prove out designs in the field. They should compensate you.

Damn I dont even own any products from XLR8 , but everything that has been produced is the very definition of quality. YOU ARE JUST JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS...
Old 05-03-2009, 06:07 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Wow...
Old 05-03-2009, 06:21 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

WOW! You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you? That is normal for modded cars on deceleration...
Old 05-03-2009, 06:49 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
backfiring! lmao
Old 05-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Too strong comments. There're a bunch of guys around this forum w/ XLR8 systems that can share their experiences with Gary, and I'm sure that if not all most of them are happy with the system. I'm planning to get one this summer or not later than x-mas. (Cross my fingers)
Old 05-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gary TL S
Gary the popping you are hearing could be caused by exhaust leaks. Check all of your flanges/connections and make sure they are all tight.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't experienced it myself, but I don't think much of backfiring. Seems ok to me. But it's a good tip to check for leaks, though.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:37 PM
SlammedOnKonis

My ATLP exhaust rumbles/gurgles on deceleration. That's what non-resonated catback exhausts do.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Pro

I get a similar "pop" or minor backfire sometimes when I'm upshifting going through the gears slowly (MT). Usually right between depressing the clutch and putting it into the next gear. Not sure if it's a bad thing but it sounds good to me

I've looked at the flanges a couple times since I did the install and don't see any real carbon build-up anywhere so I don't think I have any leaks.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:07 PM
wut.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 05-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
I don't think that should be happening. Are you slowing down from a high speed as fast as you can, or are you just gradually slowing to a stop?

The latter shouldn't cause any sort of backfire, at least not the kind a race car produces. I'd check to see if everything is tightened & sealed underneath.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:01 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
PObobobooboobo..

something like that?? lol

gawd i wish mine did that...
Old 05-04-2009, 02:29 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you only hear them when you at at WOT then take you foot off the gas right? if it happens like that than im pretty sure its because you dumped crazy fuel, then suddenly cut it off so there is alittle unburnt fuel.

or it can be from running too lean/rich but those pops are much louder
Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 AM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I came into this thread thinking to gaim some form of information. Is it safe to say the OP FAIILEDD!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:17 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by TLType-s12
I came into this thread thinking to gaim some form of information. Is it safe to say the OP FAIILEDD!
Lol. What's up, Arman! How're the Varianza's?

To the OP, you shouldn't be worried about the "popping". With your setup the way you stated it was, it's no problem.

To Acura Jeff:

What in the world are you talking about?!?!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:16 AM
practicing nihilist

get back in the toolbox

Jeff and this other d-bag, Dave_B (G35 owner, no less) have formed a Gestapo-like alliance to shoot down or tarnish any and all aftermarket parts and suppliers based on the mantra that it is impossible to improve the TL because Acura squeezed every ounce of performance out of this design the first time around (see https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-112/ur-crank-pulley-info-3g-garage-098-a-612971/).

They're starting to remind me of those two old guys from the original muppet show that sat in the balcony and humiliated everyone that stepped on the stage.

If you think performance minded enhancements are a waste of time and money, put your blinker on, move all the way over to the right and don't click on the "performance and modifications" tab ever again.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
^ +1
Old 05-04-2009, 08:37 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ifirahse
My ATLP exhaust rumbles/gurgles on deceleration. That's what non-resonated catback exhausts do.
BINGO... that is wat this is... it is not backfiring it is the sound that lets you know 2 things... 1 you have a highflowing exhaust, and 2 you still have some backpressure....

near redline your might pop loudly, this is the butterfly in the throttle body...

I overlooked what was written prior since it was written by a noob
Old 05-04-2009, 10:07 AM
JDM ... NOT !

helloo who ever said the quality of the aftermarket product sucks your a dumbass and should not even come on this site. The exhaust is made through billyboat and they are a high end exhaust company bud the quality is legit and not once did i complian infact i love the POPING NOISE THE LITTLE BACKFIRES I WISH THEY WOULD GET LOUDER AND IM ACTUALLY HOPING THEY DO NOT GO AWAY !!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
That noise is just a side effect of a free flowing exhaust. It is normal. My vehicles do it also.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
i would def want this sound if i had a cat back exhaust
Old 05-04-2009, 12:12 PM
6-SPEED LOVER

Received 122 Likes on 90 Posts
my XLR8 does it aswell and luv it
Old 05-04-2009, 12:34 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lol OP. Try using some of these in your posts - "." "," it might help you get better responses.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:42 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

the pops are normal and do sound pretty hot during wot and downshifts, dont worry op your safe and its normal.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:13 PM
JDM ... NOT !

thanks thats just what I wanted to hear. BTW it sounds frikking amazing!!! XLR8 QUADS FTW
Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 PM
TL-S izdashiznittt in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by princelybug
Lol. What's up, Arman! How're the Varianza's?

Wtup Scott! The Variannza's are good, even though Ive decided to sell them. Work is kinda slow and id rather have a lil extra $ in ma pocket. When I do get wheels later on Im going to get black TE-37's with the blue lettering. Thats if I can find them.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ducati748R
Gary the popping you are hearing could be caused by exhaust leaks. Check all of your flanges/connections and make sure they are all tight.

You probably have an exhuast leak somewhere before your thirdcat.

Last edited by xmrgoodcatx; 05-07-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
WOW! You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you? That is normal for modded cars on deceleration...
I don't think it is a matter of knowing, it is a matter of accepting an unwanted characteristic. Any crazy noises like described above just are not for me. A deep throaty Borla exhaust is another story. Unfortunately Borla's exhaust is not an option for us TL guys.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NedShneebly
Jeff and this other d-bag, Dave_B (G35 owner, no less) have formed a Gestapo-like alliance to shoot down or tarnish any and all aftermarket parts and suppliers based on the mantra that it is impossible to improve the TL because Acura squeezed every ounce of performance out of this design the first time around (see https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612971).

They're starting to remind me of those two old guys from the original muppet show that sat in the balcony and humiliated everyone that stepped on the stage.

If you think performance minded enhancements are a waste of time and money, put your blinker on, move all the way over to the right and don't click on the "performance and modifications" tab ever again.
I think you may have misunderstood a few things. I don't think anyone stated it is impossible to improve performance with aftermarket parts. Rather, not all performance modifications result in improvements. I hope you understand the difference.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:06 AM
practicing nihilist

I think you may have misunderstood a few things. I don't think anyone stated it is impossible to improve performance with aftermarket parts. Rather, not all performance modifications result in improvements. I hope you understand the difference.
Just pray you never need anything from Excelerate.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Banned

Excelerate This

There are other suppliers than Excelerate.

Heck, I bet you would would blow Josh if you lived in the same town as him.

Just pray you never need anything from Excelerate.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:19 AM
practicing nihilist

Originally Posted by SupplierMan
Yes, there are, and by looking at your profile you can't name them. Actually, I don't know what you are implying by your clever handle but you can't even sell a bad joke on this forum yet. There are a few other suppliers for most of the aftermarket parts available for TLs/TSXs. There are even fewer that own a TL, work on them and are active contributors on this forum. Oh, he gives A-ziners really good deals around the holidays and during group buys. You won't see "Official Vendor" under many members names here. Bang up third post.

Did you freakin' smiley face me after calling me a pole smoker? Did you take posting lessons from a 10 yr old girl or something? Softens the intended punch a bit, don't ya think?

Ex: "If one more Noob starts a thread asking where to find a chip for our car I will walk outside, find the cutest little puppy I can, sit my 2 year old daughter down on the sidewalk in front of us, let her pet it for a few minutes - just long enough to become some what attached to it emotionally - gently take it back from her, pet it a bit to calm it down, then twist the little puppies head off right in front of her, throw the lifeless body in the street to be run over and pecked at by buzzards and finally lay the bleeding head at her feet with it's eyes open and tongue hanging out "

Don't ever insult me before my first cup of coffee kicks in...Douche (that's the wish smiley face, as in, hopefully the next time you hot-key a smiley the key will accidentally dislodge as you smash it and rebound with enough force to sink half way into your eyeball! )
Old 05-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Racer

Yes, there are, and by looking at your profile you can't name them. Actually, I don't know what you are implying by your clever handle but you can't even sell a bad joke on this forum yet. There are a few other suppliers for most of the aftermarket parts available for TLs/TSXs. There are even fewer that own a TL, work on them and are active contributors on this forum. Oh, he gives A-ziners really good deals around the holidays and during group buys. You won't see "Official Vendor" under many members names here. Bang up third post.

Did you freakin' smiley face me after calling me a pole smoker? Did you take posting lessons from a 10 yr old girl or something? Softens the intended punch a bit, don't ya think?

Ex: "If one more Noob starts a thread asking where to find a chip for our car I will walk outside, find the cutest little puppy I can, sit my 2 year old daughter down on the sidewalk in front of us, let her pet it for a few minutes - just long enough to become some what attached to it emotionally - gently take it back from her, pet it a bit to calm it down, then twist the little puppies head off right in front of her, throw the lifeless body in the street to be run over and pecked at by buzzards and finally lay the bleeding head at her feet with it's eyes open and tongue hanging out "

Don't ever insult me before my first cup of coffee kicks in...Douche (that's the wish smiley face, as in, hopefully the next time you hot-key a smiley the key will accidentally dislodge as you smash it and rebound with enough force to sink half way into your eyeball! )
Lets try to exercise some restraint and maintain your military bearing.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Trolling= insta ban.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:49 AM
practicing nihilist

Originally Posted by ggesq
Trolling= insta ban.
Oh, Snap! good call, Ump!

Acura Jeff, I've never discussed my profession on this or any other forum and certainly haven't discussed it privately with you. What ever you think you know about what I do for a living, just keep guessing. I cruise this site all day...I could be a house wife for all you know.

Actually, ggesq, does discussing unsubstantiated details about my personal life break any forum rules? (please say yes, please say yes, please say yes)

Jeff, why do you insist on derailing every thread by standing up for every one and no one, all at the same time. Replies to you are exciting at first, but eventually just become a bigger waste of time than sudoko.

Quick Reply: attention all catback ppl