ATLP Quads a little too loud for me...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Stand For Something

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
ATLP Quads a little too loud for me...

So I had my ATLP exhaust installed last Thursday and it has been absolutely fantastic... the look is great, the fitment is great, and it has a nice sound to it too. BUT, the sound is just a little much for me. The cabin noise is a little more than I expected, when I had the Injen SES on my Mazda, you couldnt really hear it unless I stepped on it. The ATLP you can hear even if you just accelerate a little bit. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice sound it's just a little more than I was hoping for.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:22 AM
My baby's ride...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^Yikes. Maybe put in a resonator?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Vroooom!!!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
That is what I was thinking. When most guys do the swap, they pull the resonator too. If you put it back on, it might quiet things down a bit.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ill trade you for my greddy, its super quiet

add an aero resonator, it will cut down the drone
Old 02-18-2009, 11:48 AM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...or you could sell it and buy a Comptech.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:53 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Trade for my Comptech?

Do you have stock cats and J-pipe?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Add a resonator.. I kow what you are talking about.. I took a ride in a car with it in too and yes.. it is loud but its a sexy loud. However what you're referring to is drone.. and that is what I didnt like about it either... so you have a few options.

1. Add a resonator.. that will take care of the noise in the lower RPM's.
2. If that's not enough, then sell it and get a Comptech or Tannabe. You should easily be able to sell this exhaust with no problems. You probably wont even lose any money on it.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:29 PM
2007 A-Spec Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Me too...installed my ATLP Quad w/J-Pipe + High-flow cat. And the drone is too much in the cabin. Having a resonator put in Thursday.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
lmao, and here i am, with precat deletes, atlp j pipe, atlp hi flow cat, and atlp catback

Old 02-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Pro

Brain - If I remember correctly, you switched out your race pipe for the high flow cat. How would you describe the difference? I may make this switch. I'm actually hoping for a deeper tone.

I will probably also get a resonator put in at some point. Under heavy acceleration, the sound is great, but during normal driving I need to tone it down....the drone is a little much for me. I will say that it has already calmed down a little since first installing it and I'm still going to wait a few more weeks before making a decision.

As for resonators, what are the best options? I know the aero resonator has been mentioned before. ReplayMan....let me know your impressions after you get your resonator installed.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 133 Likes on 129 Posts
Great IDEA

Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
YAH....Sell it and buy a Comtech exhaust.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:44 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
I can't believe you guys think the ATLP is too loud. That noise is what tells me when to shift gears... a feature you do not get in the stock exhaust.

It's intoxicating to me.

Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
I'm probably the only guy here to go from Comptech to ATLP. Search my username and atlp. Mike actually grafted my post into a review thread elsewhere.

Bottomline, Comptech has much more drone and noise in the cruising rpm range, and is certainly NO LESS quiet than the ATLP. Going to a Comptech is a step down.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:38 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Options...

1) Get a resonator.
2) Get a Tanabe exhaust or an XLR8 exhaust, resonated version.
3) Get a Comptech exhaust.

It's funny, though...I heard an ATLP the other week, and I thought it sounded nice, but it wasn't loud enough. I love my GReddy.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
^^^ I agree.

I heard a ATLP quad over weekend too. It wasn't too loud at all. I was really concerned about it being loud, since I just bought a non-res model. The car even had the J pipe and test/straight pipe. It was off the first batch of ATLP's too.

The carbon build up must really tone it down.

I'm sure the sound will quite down a bit, once it breaks in.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 AM
My baby's ride...

Just add a resonator and hope that drone vanishes. If you don't want to hack it up and weld it, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to buy it off of you. I just rode in my friends accord with Greddy exhaust and that drone would drive me insane.
Some people love that. More power to them but I would rather go back to stock than have that annoyance.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Advanced

Where do buy a aero resonator and how would you install it?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by |dr3w|83
Where do buy a aero resonator and how would you install it?
Ebay or any online muffler store. It needs to be welded into the midpipe of the exhaust. Aero is kinda a joke, as it doesn't work as good as everyone says it does. I put it in my old Greddy system and after a week I still couldn't tell much of a diffeence as it just moved the drone from the front cabin to the rear cabin. Get a larger Magnaflow resonator if you really want to get rid of a substancial amount of drone, but still keep the tone......
Old 02-19-2009, 12:59 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by chill_dog
Options...

1) Get a resonator.
2) Get a Tanabe exhaust or an XLR8 exhaust, resonated version.
3) Get a Comptech exhaust.

It's funny, though...I heard an ATLP the other week, and I thought it sounded nice, but it wasn't loud enough. I love my GReddy.
I'll say it again... The Comptech is louder and has more drone. If you're bithcin about the sound with ATLP, Comptech is NOT an answer. 2400 rpm (6th gear at 70) reverberated through the cabin like a pressure wave.
Yuck.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:03 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

^^ Is that with a J-pipe? I have a CT catback with stock cats and J-pipe and I have yet to have ANY drone what so ever at any given speed

Last edited by JnC; 02-19-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:16 PM
My baby's ride...

^^I just installed the CT exhaust and it's almost the same inside the car as stock. I'm with you on this. Maybe I really don't know what drone is.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
I'll say it again... The Comptech is louder and has more drone. If you're bithcin about the sound with ATLP, Comptech is NOT an answer. 2400 rpm (6th gear at 70) reverberated through the cabin like a pressure wave.
Yuck.
That's why it was last on my list...figured I'd still give him an option even if he bypassed the logical/correct ones that preceeded it.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:23 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by JnC
^^ Is that with a J-pipe? I have a CT catback with stock cats and J-pipe and I have yet to have ANY drone what so ever at any given speed
That was with stock Jpipe and Megan 3rd cat delete... My Comptech was very quite at idle and WOT, but droney as shit in the cruising rpm band.

I have a 6MT, perhaps that's the difference?
Have you guys not driven at highway speeds with it yet? At idle it's fine.

Last edited by Kennedy; 02-19-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Kennedy you think the Comtech drones .. man .. you need to ride in ATLP.. LoL. No mid muffler and resonator.. you'll shoot urself.

All exhausts have drone, even stock.. its just different people have different levels of tolerance for it. But Comptech is one of the lowest in drones.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Drifting

^ if you think atlp drones, you should hear catless greddy LOL.

Surprisingly, the drone does NOT affect the bluetooth on the car
Old 02-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

You got me Grecco! LoL
Old 02-19-2009, 04:35 PM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
I might be crazy but I like a lil drone, sounds like bass. I'd have some rather than none. But if it is deafening, yeah, that's gotta be irritating.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Drifting

its not that bad though, i got use to it, plus turn the volume up to like 10, and its barely noticeable
Old 02-19-2009, 05:37 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Have you guys not driven at highway speeds with it yet? At idle it's fine.

You made a funny

I have had the CT on the car for a few months and I travel down to NYC every weekend, thats a 500 mile round trip so I think I'd notice the drone by now. Also, I do know what drone is and how bad it can get I use to have CT headers, RT hi-flow cat followed by greddy evo 2 on my 02 TL-S.

I guess coming from greddy even straight pipes would sound civilized.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:19 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
i thought my comptech was quiet as shit compared to my ATLP setup... BUT my ATLP setup is quiet compared to my neighbors

the ATLP HFC actually reduced the drone by A LOT
Old 02-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Bone stock tl-s

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
^^^ i second that! i installed my HFC yesterday, and yes it did reduce the drone.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Safety Car

OH NO, Drone Wars. GO Kennedy.

Kennedy: Where is the best place for TPMS straps now? Its been a while, I am curious, if I need them. Thanks!

SORRY for the HI-JACK.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
i thought my comptech was quiet as shit compared to my ATLP setup... BUT my ATLP setup is quiet compared to my neighbors

the ATLP HFC actually reduced the drone by A LOT
Originally Posted by jptl04
^^^ i second that! i installed my HFC yesterday, and yes it did reduce the drone.
I'm thinking of going this route to replace my race pipe. I like the sound of the system while accelerating but the drone while cruising is something I need to cut. Black, you were originally running the stock 3rd cat correct? I wonder how your drone before the high-flow compares to mine with the race pipe. But, you also have the pre-cats so it wouldn't be a good comparison I guess.

I know it would be hard to describe without actually hearing it, but I'm trying to figure out how much it will actually reduce the drone. How would the high-flow compare to splicing in a resonator? I wouldn't mind losing some whp, if that's the case with the resonator, if it got rid of most of the drone. But, if I can at least get it to a more tolerable level with the high-flow I may go that route. Doesn't the high-flow give a little deeper tone too? Think I read that here somewhere. I would like to have it a little deeper if possible.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:17 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Kennedy you think the Comtech drones .. man .. you need to ride in ATLP.. LoL. No mid muffler and resonator.. you'll shoot urself.

All exhausts have drone, even stock.. its just different people have different levels of tolerance for it. But Comptech is one of the lowest in drones.

I'm aware of this. I roll ATLP with ATLP jpipe and megan 3rd cat delete. I won the 2007 Acurazine Raffle for an ATLP exhaust!
Don't fool yourself that an exhaust with a resonator would always be more quiet than one without. The ATLP mufflers are way different than the Comptech, and as I state below, those two large german mufflers on the ATLP do a much better job than those Comptech magnaflows, even with a resonator.
Of all the posters here, I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy to have had BOTH Comptech and ATLP on the same car in an identical configuration. My opinions are just that, opinions... but they are based on relatively objective observations, and identical comparative scenarios.

Please see this post from a year ago:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=630054&page=6
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
Please ignore and forgive the filth. I spent my car wash time installing this equipment. It's gonna rain tommorrow anyway.

Quick notes.
PERFECT INSTALL. Everything lined up like factory equipment. I've bolted on 14 plus different exhaust systems to 14 plus different cars over the years, and I've never bolted one on that lined up this cleanly. no second adjustments, no misalignments. Bolt it on, tighten it up, done.
It was harder getting the Comptech off, than getting this one on.

UNBELIEVEABLE WORKMANSHIP. Overengineered design, thick, quality stainless flanges, beautiful clean welds, solid tubing, BEAUTIFUL TIPS. Etching may be a "bit" much for me, but I'm not mad about it.

SOUNDS INCREDIBLE. I'm only gonna say this once. ATLP is has LESS DRONE than my old Comptech. Yes. It is true, having tested them back to back. It has a clean, even sound that stays consistent throughtout the rpm band. It doesn't seem to have a resonation point either (that certain rpm where the drone gets really loud and resonates throughout the cabin). IT'S NOT TOO LOUD ON THE 3.2L. IN FACT IT'S ABOUT PERFECT. No need for a resonated version for us non TL-S guys. Seriously, and I'm picky about this issue. I KNEW that Greddy was gonna be loud based on my expereince with Comptech. I was worried about this one... I'm not anymore. OK, I'll say it again. My old Comptech was LOUDER than my ATLP... and my ATLP does not drone at 2300 rpm like CT did. OK, enough said. I'm excitied about this finding if you can't tell.

LOOKS F$CKING AWESOME. We've known that though.

I'm 1000% satisfied Mike. One of my favorite mods so far. I'm even more pumped for that J-pipe now, if the level of quality I expereinced today is reflected in that product.

Anyone on the fence... It's worth the effort to hack up your rear end, but the TL-S lip, and bolt this bitch on. This is the exhuast for the TL...

More notes after I put some miles on, and try a few WOT runs.

"Kennedy leaves to go get an ATLP/Metalwerke tattoo on his chest".

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

That said, and to Blacura's point, there are other factors that can contribute. The ATLP is well documented being louder on the 3.5L. Different exhaust component can also contribute or alleviate to drone as well, 3rd cat, etc...

JnC, I believe you. But here are some other Comptech user perspectives:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...drone+comptech

Basically, Comptech Catback exhaust w/ Aero resonator .. and yet it still drones like a bat out of hell. It'll take some getting used to, but the extra power is awesome.

I just had my comptech installed last week and as soon as I got home I ordered the aero resonator because of the drone. I had the resonator installed Saturday

and that's the first link that came up.

OK, I'm an ATLP fanboy, but only because I'm that impressed with htier product, and that satisified with my purchase... That, and ask the locals who have been for a ride in my TL... Ballinfizzle, CDat,... They'll tell you there ain't drone, it's perfect, all the way through the rpm band.

Good luck guys.

OH NO, Drone Wars. GO Kennedy.

Kennedy: Where is the best place for TPMS straps now? Its been a while, I am curious, if I need them. Thanks!

SORRY for the HI-JACK.
Hey... It's JD.
As you can see from avatar, my $38 tpms straps are holding up fine, 20K+ miles, and over 120 mph road tests... No need buying those $110 stamped steel (<$2) mounts. Thanks for the concern. i got them from discountiredirect.com Good luck.

How's that TL-S of your doing.... uh... oh yeah.

Last edited by Kennedy; 02-19-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Pro

Kennedy brings up a good point.....the difference between the ATLP system on a 3.2L vs. a 3.5L. I know in my short discussions with Mike he did say how the 3.5 is more susceptible to droning and may not be something that can be completely eliminated like it sounds like can be done on the 3.2L.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:08 AM
My baby's ride...

Hmm...If Kennedy says no drone with the ATLP and 3.2, and everyone who has the drone has the 3.5 maybe that's it. ASAN..since you have the 3.5, want to swap my Comptech for the ATLP? Can you get a clip up of the sound?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

ive heard blackura's 3.5 and BforBrian's 3.2..... i have to say...i love em both brians is just mean....i havent heard it catless though but im sure its meaner now lol.....and blacks just woke up the dead lol! after i heard blacks i got the cat deletes n took all the res' off. lol.

mine doesnt have a drone but it does have a tinny sound at high RPMs... and then it goes away.....anyone recommend getting rid of the 3rd cat and putting the hi flow cat?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:09 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by jweb12
Kennedy brings up a good point.....the difference between the ATLP system on a 3.2L vs. a 3.5L. I know in my short discussions with Mike he did say how the 3.5 is more susceptible to droning and may not be something that can be completely eliminated like it sounds like can be done on the 3.2L.
JACKPOT.... the 3.5L drones even when its FULLY stock.... so thats probaby why we are all getting mixed opinions...

i think i should take a ride in bforbrians car (same exact setup as mine) and compare the 3.2L to the 3.5L
Old 02-21-2009, 07:50 AM
Safety Car

I'm aware of this. I roll ATLP with ATLP jpipe and megan 3rd cat delete. I won the 2007 Acurazine Raffle for an ATLP exhaust!
Don't fool yourself that an exhaust with a resonator would always be more quiet than one without. The ATLP mufflers are way different than the Comptech, and as I state below, those two large german mufflers on the ATLP do a much better job than those Comptech magnaflows, even with a resonator.
Of all the posters here, I'm pretty sure I'm the only guy to have had BOTH Comptech and ATLP on the same car in an identical configuration. My opinions are just that, opinions... but they are based on relatively objective observations, and identical comparative scenarios.

Please see this post from a year ago:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=630054&page=6
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___
Please ignore and forgive the filth. I spent my car wash time installing this equipment. It's gonna rain tommorrow anyway.

Quick notes.
PERFECT INSTALL. Everything lined up like factory equipment. I've bolted on 14 plus different exhaust systems to 14 plus different cars over the years, and I've never bolted one on that lined up this cleanly. no second adjustments, no misalignments. Bolt it on, tighten it up, done.
It was harder getting the Comptech off, than getting this one on.

UNBELIEVEABLE WORKMANSHIP. Overengineered design, thick, quality stainless flanges, beautiful clean welds, solid tubing, BEAUTIFUL TIPS. Etching may be a "bit" much for me, but I'm not mad about it.

SOUNDS INCREDIBLE. I'm only gonna say this once. ATLP is has LESS DRONE than my old Comptech. Yes. It is true, having tested them back to back. It has a clean, even sound that stays consistent throughtout the rpm band. It doesn't seem to have a resonation point either (that certain rpm where the drone gets really loud and resonates throughout the cabin). IT'S NOT TOO LOUD ON THE 3.2L. IN FACT IT'S ABOUT PERFECT. No need for a resonated version for us non TL-S guys. Seriously, and I'm picky about this issue. I KNEW that Greddy was gonna be loud based on my expereince with Comptech. I was worried about this one... I'm not anymore. OK, I'll say it again. My old Comptech was LOUDER than my ATLP... and my ATLP does not drone at 2300 rpm like CT did. OK, enough said. I'm excitied about this finding if you can't tell.

LOOKS F$CKING AWESOME. We've known that though.

I'm 1000% satisfied Mike. One of my favorite mods so far. I'm even more pumped for that J-pipe now, if the level of quality I expereinced today is reflected in that product.

Anyone on the fence... It's worth the effort to hack up your rear end, but the TL-S lip, and bolt this bitch on. This is the exhuast for the TL...

More notes after I put some miles on, and try a few WOT runs.

"Kennedy leaves to go get an ATLP/Metalwerke tattoo on his chest".

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

That said, and to Blacura's point, there are other factors that can contribute. The ATLP is well documented being louder on the 3.5L. Different exhaust component can also contribute or alleviate to drone as well, 3rd cat, etc...

JnC, I believe you. But here are some other Comptech user perspectives:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...drone+comptech

Basically, Comptech Catback exhaust w/ Aero resonator .. and yet it still drones like a bat out of hell. It'll take some getting used to, but the extra power is awesome.

I just had my comptech installed last week and as soon as I got home I ordered the aero resonator because of the drone. I had the resonator installed Saturday

and that's the first link that came up.

OK, I'm an ATLP fanboy, but only because I'm that impressed with htier product, and that satisified with my purchase... That, and ask the locals who have been for a ride in my TL... Ballinfizzle, CDat,... They'll tell you there ain't drone, it's perfect, all the way through the rpm band.

Good luck guys.

Hey... It's JD.
As you can see from avatar, my $38 tpms straps are holding up fine, 20K+ miles, and over 120 mph road tests... No need buying those $110 stamped steel (<$2) mounts. Thanks for the concern. i got them from discountiredirect.com Good luck.

How's that TL-S of your doing.... uh... oh yeah.
Alrighty then. Sorry for another Hi-Jack.

The 07 TL-S was very boring with an autotragic. I like my 06 manual much more. It also feels much quicker, especially with the V2 I installed.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Pro

OP, I saw you have already posted your exhaust in the BM. But for anybody else reading this thread, now that I have about a week of driving put into the exhaust, my system has noticeably mellowed. I am still have the drone under normal cruising conditions which I am still deciding how I want to handle. Anyway, figured this might be good to know for anybody getting ready to install or looking into getting the ATLP.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:17 PM
My baby's ride...

Ok. I finally got on the highway with my new CT exhaust and RV6 JPipe/Test pipe combo. There is a very slight drone at 1900-2000 rpm range while doing 70mph. If anything, the wind noise was worse for me.
I asked my wife about the sound and she said "what sound?"

But the sweet rumble kicks in at 3000+rpm, and I can't get enough of it I spent an entire 2 hours revving just to get above 3krpm while on the highway. Maybe I can stand a louder exhaust....hmmmm.

Quick Reply: ATLP Quads a little too loud for me...