ATF question for 5AT Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 11:23 AM
Hondata > *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
A high stall convertor will make shifts feel softer. I had my trans on my turbo car built when I had a 3,800 stall convertor. The shifts were great. I had to take the convertor out one day and I put the stock 2,400 stall back in temporarily and shifts were harsh as in chirping the tires with my foot barely on the gas on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts.

A higher stall convertor will require a trans cooler even more so than adding the blower.
this is very true.

many of you dont realize how significant a high stall torque converter will DRASTICALLY change the way the car drives.

the benefit is more than just brake launching capabilities, but for daily driving, rpms just climb up effortlessly, instead of that lagging feeling in the lower rpms.

i'm currently working with IPTtrans.com in making a auto race tranny for my boosted RSX. so far they've completed the torque converter and i already got it installed. they're still building the rest of my spare auto tranny in their shop.
but the TC alone, omg the car got 10x more fun to drive around the city. it will definitely take of a good chunk of your 1/4mi times.

it is THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK ON ANY AUTO TRANS, boosted or stock. the price of the high stall is $510shipped, but the cost of labor in getting the torque converter out/installed is dependent on where u do it at. its not just a restalled TC, but stronger parts/clutch packs replace the stock parts and have a better holding capacity.

but about the tranny fluid, IPT also recommended ONLY Amsoil ATF to be used in place of Honda Z1. they use this type of fluid in all their built trannies. and a tranny cooler is MUST. if there is a hard line, there is still a way to work around it.

remove the stock hard lines, there are usually fittings that are included with a tranny cooler kit that fit into the stock holes. if not, just get a dremel and cut a section of the hardline out. use SS braided lines and clamps and run it to tranny cooler.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Hondata > *

Originally Posted by outersquare
This cuts both ways,

The theory is smooth shifts typically means some amount of slippage of friction surfaces. Hard shifts less so. On many modified higher power auto imports, the clutch packs are usually the first to go. For lexus/toyo autos, just a shift kit/valve body upgrade significantly increases power holding, which is achieved through faster/harder shifts.

A 20 deg reduction is very significant. If comptech already tested it and it caused no failures over a year, that's hard to argue against, particularly considering the additional power over stock.

OTOH, honda's ATF Z1 is a hydrocracked base oil, similar stuff that lesser "synthetic" oils are made from, so it's not too shabby to begin with. I've also seen a contention that honda's fluid contains additives that coats clutch packs thus minimizing wear.

Particularly with DBW cars, I recall that honda kills power between shifts so it won't be harsh anyways. They also sometimes pull timing durings shifts on direct ignition motors, basically anything reasonably modern.
listen to outersquare, he definitely knows his shit.

sup man, its 03DSM-RSX off crsx.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:07 AM
Port & Polish Everything

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 06WDP-TL
listen to outersquare, he definitely knows his shit.

sup man, its 03DSM-RSX off crsx.
hey bro, thx, i'm just a guy putting together info, like you already know, there's not much out there for honda auto trannies.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:12 AM
Port & Polish Everything

Also, in most late model hondas, the manual contains these statements;

"Always use Honda ATF-Z1 (Automatic Transmission Fluid). If it is not available, you may use a DEXRON III automatic transmission fluid as a temporary replacement. However, continued use can affect shift quality. Have the transmission flushed and refilled with Honda ATF-Z1 as soon as convenient."

In the same manual, service information summary lists as follow;

"automatic transmission fluid: Honda ATF-Z1 (Automatic Transmission Fluid) preferred, or a DEXRON III ATF as a temporary replacement."

Redline ATF is a dexron III fluid.

The main consideration they mention is shift quality, it does not say using dexron atf is a kiss of death to the tranny. The better question is probably how long "temporary" while "convenient" is.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:27 PM
Cruisin'

againstallodds, what did you end up doin about yur ATF? Any progress on a cooler?

I'm having the SC installed soon and now am a bit freaked out by this whole debate here. I live in Florida where its already pretty frickin' hot and routinely drive 2+hrs. maybe twice a week. I won't be trackin' my car, so how concerned should I be? My wife won't like any change in shifting (not that she'll ever be touchin the car again after the SC goes in...)

figure I should lean towards the Amsoil?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:43 AM
Import and Domestic owner

Originally Posted by Ocala-spec
againstallodds, what did you end up doin about yur ATF? Any progress on a cooler?

I'm having the SC installed soon and now am a bit freaked out by this whole debate here. I live in Florida where its already pretty frickin' hot and routinely drive 2+hrs. maybe twice a week. I won't be trackin' my car, so how concerned should I be? My wife won't like any change in shifting (not that she'll ever be touchin the car again after the SC goes in...)

figure I should lean towards the Amsoil?
I went from Redline to Amsoil, and I really cant tell the difference. I would recommend Redline, only because it stands high temp. Make sure it says HIGH TEMP ATF. At first the Amsoil gave me smoother shifts and then it stopped. The harsher shifts were back. Not really bad, but there is a difference. I might go and change back to honda ATF. I will talk with my mechanic tomorrow when I get the rest of the nitrous kit installed.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Lots of bad info here.

First off, you need a cooler, especially with a supercharger regardless of what kind of fluid you're using. The cooler is the best thing you can do to extend the life of the tranny. I'm installing one on my bone stock TL this weekend. It is a necessity.
Which one did you get?

And also.. wouldnt it be better to let the tranny go out now instead of bandaiding it until after your warranty is out?