apparently a tune is possible

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
^ sweet. Not sure how far you'd wanna advance it with that blower lol. I am interested in it because I like the fact you can retard the timing. For you that means more boost, for me that means more nitrous. I am still not 100 percent on the vehicles ability to detect and compensate for knock as of yet. I am still trying to get to the bottom of the whole pinging thing thats been floating around the board. I think you had a blower with an hbp if memory serves me right. What do you think was the cause of your last meltdown? I am gonna peek at my pistons and see if I have any signs of detonation. If that looks good I will take some new knock readings on my current setup and then up the jets. I will compare those knock readings to my lower HP jetting and see whats up. When you have the car tuned are you using A/F, knock or both?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:40 PM
I (don't) whine.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think we monitored knock as well as we should for the initial tune. What are you using to monitor knock, do you have a knock sensor already hooked to your car? As for now all i'm using is A/F which is a consistent ~11.8. I have all the dyno's here and can post them for my hondata tune and my pre-post-AEM FI/C tune if you want.

So during the initial hondata tunes my car was weird about pinging. It wouldn't ping at all on the dyno but would ping on the road. I definitely killed my rings from detonation. I think that was from the tune process. It was the first time they were tuning for the HBP and for the regular pulley without the ACM and I think during the tune process (before it was perfect) my rings took too much wear and tear. Also, remember I said there was some detonation markings on the piston tops from even before the tune. Couple that with weak rings to begin with and BOOM. My dyno's and A/F graphs at the end of the tune were near perfect at the end of the hondata tune but I think the damage was already done. Also, I lowered my compression ratio to 10.25:1 when i got new pistons so that should help with the boost.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Well I have the luxury of using the 8000 dollar Honda diagnostic tool that most guys dont. I also can record the data streams at a ultra high sample rate too. So what I did was.... set the recorder to trigger manually, and made a pull on the juice. I then went back and studied various parameters such as fuel trims and knock retard. I also installed an aftermarket wideband o2 in so I can ALWAYS monitor that. Knock retard will also be displayed on any CANOBD2 scanner and you can pick one of those up anywhere. All our cars have knock sensors.
The light throttle pinging seems to be a mystery. I have heard many a complaint on Azine about it. I am sure that you are falling victim to it as well. I am still trying to figure it out myself.
I am assuming your car is up and running again. I would definitely have someone see what kind of retard your car is running before I do too many more pulls. I tuned my car to 12.1: 1 on the bottle. Unfortunately n20 A/F ratios and forced induction A/F ratios are two different animals so I am not much help to you there. Max power on a forced induction is achieved at 11.5:1 so you are close. Have you taken a look at your piston tops now that you have a few miles on them and some dyno pulls? Ill be checking mine soon and then upping the jets. Who knows, you may see my motor up on here all blown up! I would definitely try and check out that knock. Id hate to see you have another motor up on AZINE all torn up.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ussi
I don't think we monitored knock as well as we should for the initial tune. What are you using to monitor knock, do you have a knock sensor already hooked to your car? As for now all i'm using is A/F which is a consistent ~11.8. I have all the dyno's here and can post them for my hondata tune and my pre-post-AEM FI/C tune if you want.

So during the initial hondata tunes my car was weird about pinging. It wouldn't ping at all on the dyno but would ping on the road. I definitely killed my rings from detonation. I think that was from the tune process....... I lowered my compression ratio to 10.25:1 when i got new pistons so that should help with the boost.
I took a look at my pistons today and hmmmf. Not 100 percent pleased with what I saw. I will start a thread with a few pics because it should be seen and read by anyone with a blower or N20. Did you locate after market forged pistons for your build? I do have another j37 and if you did I would like to see if I can get some for that block. I think forged pistons are a requirement for all of us since these cars have so many pinging issues. I will be upping some jets, unfortunately not the ones that make more power. I wanna try and see if the richer mixture will cool me down at all. I will also make a few pulls and check how much retard I am hitting. I didn't write the values down when I did it that last time> but I do remember it didn't throw any flags up then.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:50 PM
The Kinetics of Bleu

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RACINGHART03
I took a look at my pistons today and hmmmf. Not 100 percent pleased with what I saw. I will start a thread with a few pics because it should be seen and read by anyone with a blower or N20. Did you locate after market forged pistons for your build? I do have another j37 and if you did I would like to see if I can get some for that block. I think forged pistons are a requirement for all of us since these cars have so many pinging issues. I will be upping some jets, unfortunately not the ones that make more power. I wanna try and see if the richer mixture will cool me down at all. I will also make a few pulls and check how much retard I am hitting. I didn't write the values down when I did it that last time> but I do remember it didn't throw any flags up then.
Do you think the pinging I am getting from my 07 TL-S we talked about will produce similar problems? I do NOT have a blower or nitrous...
Old 02-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLAdvanced
Do you think the pinging I am getting from my 07 TL-S we talked about will produce similar problems? I do NOT have a blower or nitrous...
Hell no lol. All cars ping to some degree. This was more a safety check for me. I wouldnt worry about it. Who knows if the 3g pinging mystery will ever be solved. I looked at two motors aside from mine. My other J35 and a J32. The looked fit as a tit.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Safety Car

racing... what pinging are we talking about???
and USSI did u also upgrade your rails as well as your injectors or was that a plug n play story for the injectors???
Old 02-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
racing... what pinging are we talking about???
and USSI did u also upgrade your rails as well as your injectors or was that a plug n play story for the injectors???
Not the kinda pinging I have heard complaints of on the board if thats what you mean. I dont feel I have a fuel delivery issue persay. I just think I need to add some more fuel to cool down the cylinder temps. Combustion chamber temps are significantly higher on N20 and blown applications. I started a thread on the matter. You can see some pics of what I am seeing.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:07 AM
Safety Car

ooooooooooooohh i get it now..... i was trying to understand what was happening and the terminology cool thanks...what section's the thread u started???
Old 02-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Perf n mods. Should be fresh. I just posted there.